Bill O' Brien v. Rick Smith

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by House of Pain, Oct 27, 2015.

1. House of Pain

House of Pain Knee-jerkless

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2015/10...to-choose-between-smith-obrien-as-rift-grows/

I saw this article in another thread however, it was being discussed within the context how it affects Ryan Mallett.

Based on the info within the article, only one of them will still be with the organization at the end of the year. I know, probably most people think this will be Rick Smith. I'm not so sure that is correct because that means that McNair would be paying OB for the next 3 years. Rick Smith's contract expires at the end of 2016 meaning that he would only owe ole' Ricky 1 more year of salary.

As a history major in undergrad, I can only look back at the history of the Texans, I have to believe that McNair will not fire Smith.

What do y'all think?

PS - If this article is accurate, I would also be VERY interested in who OB wanted in the draft/FA and who Smith wanted.

2. Scooter

Scooter Funky

If McNair has a lick of sense they'll both be gone. He doesn't have any sense so at least one of those idiots will be here next season, probably Smith.

3. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Smith gets promoted and this whole beef goes away. I don't get the feeling McNair is firing anyone...I hope I'm wrong.

Nitrofish, Uncle Rico and ATXtexanfan like this.
  4. House of Pain

Scooter, you're right. There is nothing that makes me think that McNair will do anything than what he always does...nothing.

5. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 RickSmithSUX

That's the feeling I get. Rick Smith is Bob McNair's anal polyp and he's not being removed. McNair is obviously fond of his little friend.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

rick smith is family now with mcnair u really think Bob will fire his daughters Husband ..????

7. House of Pain

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Rick is the Godfather to Cal McNair's child. Rick did not marry into the McNair family.

8. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Teflon Rick must go

I predict Bill goes back to college football and takes the Maryland job , Hackenberg graduates early and joins him . Why Maryland ? Because the founder of Under Armor went there and wants to pour money into the program .

Rick will be allowed to do the same job which is putting in his office and going to lunch with Cal .

Bob calls Jerrah and Bob Kraft and they both tell him he's doing great , keep the course .

Double Barrel and amazing80 like this.
  9. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

McNair hired Rick Smith. Under what circumstances does McNair somehow gain the intelligence to hire someone decent?

10. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

If things remain on course, O'Brien is fired and Smith is "promoted" out of the GM role.

But if McNair had to choose between the two, without question O'Brien is fired. His record of decision making has been atrocious. Smith has some black marks in his history, but he's made some good decisions too. O'Brien immediately refused to respect some fundamental truths about the NFL that even the fans know to not violate. And his emotional decision to try to go into the Miami game without a backup QB was so dumb that it has never been attempted in the modern era. It's indicative of how stubborn O'Brien is, and remember that kind of stubborness was one of the reasons McNair cited for Kubiak's firing.

11. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

They should both be thrown into a steel cage and be droned.

12. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

O'Brien is in over his head and should be replaced. Smith is incompetent and should have been replaced years ago. I don't care much about the context of their exits as long as both are gone next season. Promote Smith internally for all I care. As long as he's no longer making personnel decisions I'm fine with it.

It's time to get some football people in charge of the football aspect of the franchise.

Nitrofish, steelbtexan, powda and 6 others like this.
  13. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

If he has final say over the 53 ..... Why is Mullet still on the roster if he wants him gone ?!

Obviously he doesn't really have "Final Say" on the 53.

Wolf and steelbtexan like this.
  15. BaTtLe ReD TXN

BaTtLe ReD TXN Rookie

OK so we ALL want Rick Smith fired ... but who should we get to replace him?

16. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Mallett is not on the roster. While OB had a tantrum in Miami, McNair said deal with it in Houston and they did.

17. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

The smart thing to do was wait until they got back to Houston it was just being a ego maniac that had BOB wanting to cut Mallett Saturday night.

18. paycheck71

paycheck71 Hall of Fame

We don't know that McNair was involved in that decision, and based on Breer's tweet, he didn't have to be. For all we know, the media report of Smith overruling/vetoing OB is overblown (especially since he can't do that according to OB's contract). More likely, OB wanted to cut him on the spot, and Smith talked him out of it since they needed a backup for the game.

The Pencil Neck, bah007 and Nitrofish like this.
  19. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

Well said bro.

The only outcome i want between ricky vs ob :

[​IMG]

TexansFight, santo and WolverineFan like this.
  20. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

If this comes down to Smith or OB getting fired, my fear is that Smith will survive and OB will get fired. Smith has the luxury of being in Mcnair's ear all the time, and Mcnair loves "yes men" and Smith kisses his ass and makes Bob feel comfortable it seems.

I have no argument for those who want OB gone at this particular time. His status will be known in the off season either way. If the Texans don't drastically improve, I don't see how OB isn't fired though. No owner can allow a HC to coach their team with how bad this situation currently is. And with Crennell still coaching this awful defense, OB looks worse and worse the longer that Crenell is allowed to coach this awful defense. It is starting to remind me of how Kubiak had that ridiculous loyalty to all those failures at DC before we got Wade in here.

Smith needs to go though. Bob needs to hire a real GM, and let the new guy determine OB's fate. If he wants to give OB one more year to evaluate him and his strategy, then so be it. If he wants to go out there and get his guy, then let him go get his guy. I really don't care what happens as long as SMITH IS GONE by the end of this season.

TexansFight, Chance_C, Grams and 2 others like this.