Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Best Strategy for Miami's #1 pick - don't make it ?

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
The Dolphins' new draft strategy says as much about the new regime as it does about the failures of the rookie system. In no other sport do the rookies get superstar contracts, leaving many teams better off without an early draft pick at all.

As crazy as that sounds, drafting a rookie is basically like signing an expensive free agent without ever seeing him play. The only benefit is you're the only one who can sign him (which hasn't proved as much of a benefit lately).

The Rams have openly admitted that they think the Dolphins might even (gasp) pass on their first overall pick. The even crazier thing? I think they should!
But before heads start rolling, let's remember the one great luxury of being first overall. It's not that you get your pick of the litter, but that you can sign your pick of the litter. The Dolphins can negotiate contracts with the players they're considering and avoid any holdout controversies. This might be appealing enough for a player to take less money too, since he'd be choosing his destination and have the prestige of being the first overall pick.

The Dolphins are smartly testing that theory to its limits. They're currently in contract negotiations with Jake Long, Chris Long, and Vernon Gholston. They may just take the cheapest one...and that would be just fine with me. That or pass. You have to love the audacity of this new management team.

http://thesouthfloridafan.blogspot.com/2008/04/dolphins-attempting-groundbreaking.html
Now this is what's called thinking outside the box, and I agree totally with it
but I bet it sure would upset the Commish/NFL front office if they actually did it.
There's nobody in this Draft that's worth 28, 30, 35 million guaranteed (or whatever they are expected to get).
Miami needs 'bout everything, that's why they are picking #1. So there's probably 5 or 6 players they value pretty close to each other. What to do -
negotiate the best deal they can get from those top picks, or don't even make the pick if they can't negotiate a deal they want and save the cap money.

If Gholston went #1 that would shake things up!!

The NFL should put rookie contracts in place, its getting ridiculous.

If Gholston went #1 that would shake things up!!

The NFL should put rookie contracts in place, its getting ridiculous.

I totally agree that it's getting rediculous, but I think the real answer is exactly what Miami is considering here. Not just the #1 pick either. As soon as Miami gets what they're really after, the next team in line should be talking to players...."Hey, quick! Make a decision! Will you sign this contract RIGHT NOW!" LOL. Maybe the draft needs to happen a LOT more slowly, but you get the idea. I think players should have to sign BEFORE getting picked. Then the market could regulate itself.

PS-On that note, I will be the Texans' #4, special, super-duper QB, and we can drive those high prices WAAAAAAAAAY back down where they belong. :)

It would be interesting to see the dolphins not make a pick until about the 5-6th spot.

You know whoever ended up being their pick would still argue that they were the first pick and should get paid like it.

It would be interesting to see the dolphins not make a pick until about the 5-6th spot.

You know whoever ended up being their pick would still argue that they were the first pick and should get paid like it.

They get to negotiate the contract before the draft een starts.

That stratigy was proposed when we had the #1 and D'Brick was a good choice at 4. Glad we didn't do it and took Mario.

They get to negotiate the contract before the draft een starts.

If they already had a contract worked out with a player, they would just pick him at #1--like the Cowboys did with Maryland. We don't want to pay you #1 money, but will take you at #1 if you agree to #5 money.

That stratigy was proposed when we had the #1 and D'Brick was a good choice at 4. Glad we didn't do it and took Mario.

Yeah, if the current system is so bad, and the NFL can't institute a rookie wage scale ala the NBA, maybe they should do a 180 on the way they do the draft - Super Bowl winner picks #1, and the teams draft in descending order of prior year performance instead of ascending.

Wonder if under this scenario Super Bowl XL would have been constantly referred to as the Bush Bowl?

I don't recall where, but I did read that Chris Long's agent was asked a few weeks ago about the possibility of the Dolphins letting the clock run out on their pick. His response was that they would take the negotiating position that Long was the first pick even if the Dolphins went to the podium after the Rams, Falcons, etc.

This is certainly going to be one aspect of the looming labor war in the NFL. Among other beefs, the NFL wants to restore sanity to rookie contracts. Meanwhile, the players want to put an end to the salary cap if the owners, as expected, opt out of the current CBA. Both sides are gearing up--e.g., the current effort to oust Gene Upshaw. Enjoy the 2008 and 2009 seasons because we may be headed back to the bad old days of labor strife in the NFL.

The funny thing is, just from seeing the title of the thread, my first thought was "Punt". The article has that as an option, lol.

money is not really the sticking point (new infusion of capital added partner/owner) its about levrege, getting the most out of not identifying a clear #1 overall pick.

Ourlads has the top four prospects Dorsey, Long's, McFadden seperated by only three tenths of one point on a scale of 1-10. thats too close to call so teams base picks on need.

Miami best option is not to pass on their pick but to trade it for less value than normal based upon the talent pool. long as tuna is not too greedy he might just pick up extra value (1st & 2nd) by moving out of the top 5 yet still in the mix for one of the elite prospects left while addressing more needs & paying less per position.

Not making the pick, to me, means they bungled the opportunity.

Miami best option is not to pass on their pick but to trade it for less value than normal based upon the talent pool.
Miami can't trade the pick because no team wants to spend #1 pick dollars on any of these players. They're stuck with the pick, just as the Texans were in 2006. They need to make a deal with one of these guys and move on.

And passing on the pick is absurd. Why wouldn't the Rams also pass? Then the Falcons pass. Nobody wants to pay the top pick. It would make a mockery, if you will, out of the draft. If the NFL has a problem with the rookie salary structure, they need to deal with it in the next CBA negotiation. Not on draft day.

indeed, all 31 teams drafting in the first should pass on the players and then Miami can just pay Long the 32nd pick's money. brilliant idea

indeed, all 31 teams drafting in the first should pass on the players and then Miami can just pay Long the 32nd pick's money. brilliant idea

Or we could just have every team in the nfl agree to not draft anyone. Then sign them as FA's.

That might drive down the cost.

Back