Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Best ever running backs

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/colum...as_pat&id=3422309&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

It started with eight great football minds and seemingly a simple request.

Rank the 10 best running backs in NFL history.

By the time all was said and done, Don Shula, Marv Levy, Dan Reeves, Robert Smith, Jerry Richardson, Floyd Reese, Jack Bushofsky and Emmitt Thomas had thrown around nearly four dozen names, debated the merits of runners who had seemed flawless when they entered the Pro Football Hall of Fame and helped pare a list to include only the most elite of the elite.

With lots of input from those eight, ESPN.com subjectively developed a list that spanned different eras, took changes in the game into account and came to this conclusion -- Jim Brown was the best running back ever.

1. Jim Brown
2. Barry Sanders
3. Walter Payton
4. Emmitt Smith
5. Gale Sayers
6. Ladainian Tomlinson
7. Marshall Faulk
8. O.J. Simpson
9. Lenny Moore
10. Eric Dickerson

That's ESPN's list not mine.

That's an impressive list but hate not seeing Earl in the top 10. He's #1 one on my list. ;)

I wouldn't put Earl #1 but I think he's in the top 10. Tomlinson shouldn't be in there until his playing career is done. I'd but Earl Campbell at #5 or 6

I wouldn't put Earl #1 but I think he's in the top 10. Tomlinson shouldn't be in there until his playing career is done. I'd but Earl Campbell at #5 or 6

I think you could argue that he could take Lenny Moore's place in the Top 10. I agree about Tomlinson shouldn't be on there until he is retired. He needs to finish his body of work.

I am sorry, but I would move Emmitt to the bottom or off. I believe Emmitt was a beneficiary of a great O-line and offensive talent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/colum...as_pat&id=3422309&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

1. Jim Brown
2. Barry Sanders
3. Walter Payton
4. Emmitt Smith
5. Gale Sayers
6. Ladainian Tomlinson
7. Marshall Faulk
8. O.J. Simpson
9. Lenny Moore
10. Eric Dickerson

That's ESPN's list not mine.

Second Honeymoon!! Oh, Second Honeymoon!!

Wondering why so many people here hate BSPN. The omission of Earl is criminal...

Aren't those guys (BSPN) based in New York City??

New York City? Get a Rope!! (yes, I know its Bristol CT.)

PS...SH, Cardinals still suck!!! :cowboy1:

I am sorry, but I would Emmitt to the bottom or off. I believe Emmitt was a beneficiary of a great O-line and offensive talent.

He is there for his broadcasting abilities,lol.

"He turn around and go deep on Dre' Bly"

emmitt.jpg

I'm skeptical of Marshal Faulk on that list. He was a great running back, but he too benefited from a system that they ran, especially during the "Greatest Show on Turf" days...

But not top 10 in my book.

I am sorry, but I would move Emmitt to the bottom or off. I believe Emmitt was a beneficiary of a great O-line and offensive talent.

Emmitt DID have a great line but he still made the yards.

Repeating past history but when the Cowboys had to have a win Emmitt busted his butt and ran with a separated shoulder. HE won that game for them.

Emmitt was GREAT!

And omitting Earl is criminal.

For Earl not to be on this list is a travesty. Sayers? Moore? Faulk? Give me a break. Those dudes don't even stand to measure up to Earl. I would have Campbell at about #7 behind the other true greats.

My rankings:
1. Barry Sanders
2. Jim Brown
3. Eric Dickerson
4. Emmitt Smith
5. Walter Payton
6. LaDanian Tomlinson
7. Earl Campbell
8. OJ Simpson
9. Bo Jackson (like Earl, short career but was just dominant and probably most talented of any RB ever)
10. Thurman Thomas (changed the whole game for RBs and paved way for Faulk)

re: Earl not on the list.

'eh, we all know this is an opinion poll, and the old saying about opinions should be applied accordingly.

These are others that they mentioned

Curtis Martin, Thurman Thomas, Jim Taylor, Terrell Davis, Tiki Barber, Fred Taylor and Marcus Allen. Earl Campbell, Franco Harris, Tony Dorsett, Larry Csonka, John Riggins and Shaun Alexander

Sorry but I know the homers think Earl should be there but his career was shorter than expected and there are plenty of guys above that have just as good an argument.

Earl is one of my favorites but we have to be realistic here. He could or could not have bene on there.

Emmitt DID have a great line but he still made the yards.

Repeating past history but when the Cowboys had to have a win Emmitt busted his butt and ran with a separated shoulder. HE won that game for them.

Emmitt was GREAT!

Thanks for being realistic. Fresh on here sometimes.

Second Honeymoon!! Oh, Second Honeymoon!!

Wondering why so many people here hate BSPN. The omission of Earl is criminal...

Aren't those guys (BSPN) based in New York City??

New York City? Get a Rope!! (yes, I know its Bristol CT.)

PS...SH, Cardinals still suck!!! :cowboy1:

this guy is a hack. earl should be on the list, no doubt.

as for the emboldened...pfft :mshadows:

don't make me break out the history book on ya :)

fwiw - i like the way the 2008 incarnation of the Astros. Getting rid of some of the old farts has done a lot for your team energy and guys look like they have fun and have personality now. nice change from the automaton Astros of recent years. you, like the Cards, are still staying relevant even though both teams have little to no starting pitching. When, not if, the Cubs slip up, someone has to step up and punk Chicago for the 100th season in a row. I want to see their futility reach the triple digits. Once our Cy Young winner Carpenter and Mulder come off the DL, the Cards will improve greatly and may be able to salvage this bargain basement roster of the Cards that the cheap owners in STL put together in 2008. I like Glaus but to see Rolen blowing up in Toronto makes me ill inside....that dude had been a Cards fan since birth and you knew the guy was just having a bad spell....oh well LaRussa hated him and it was either Rolen or LaRussa...owners chose LaRussa...probably the wise move but it still hurts. Rolen was my favorite Card and it would be like trading Berkman for Jose Vizcaino.

Curtis Martin, Thurman Thomas, Jim Taylor, Terrell Davis, Tiki Barber, Fred Taylor and Marcus Allen. Earl Campbell, Franco Harris, Tony Dorsett, Larry Csonka, John Riggins and Shaun Alexander

Sorry but I know the homers think Earl should be there but his career was shorter than expected and there are plenty of guys above that have just as good an argument.

Earl is one of my favorites but we have to be realistic here.

Tony Dorsett, Franco Harris, and Marshall Faulk were my honorable mentions. Good team success but not quite Top 10 material.

It is not necessarily a homer take to believe that not may RBs were even close to the physical power and force that Earl displayed. I have yet to see a RB get close to carrying several defenders downfield and still shed them for more yardage. He would run through, over, and around guys, and actually shortened several careers as a result.

I completely understand why the names are on the list, and they deserve the respect. But, by the same way that you accuse us of going homer for Earl, I think there were some homer opinions that created that list, as well.

I'd put John Riggins on that list instead of a couple of those names. It doesn't look like power runners got much love.

It is not necessarily a homer take to believe that not may RBs were even close to the physical power and force that Earl displayed. I have yet to see a RB get close to carrying several defenders downfield and still shed them for more yardage. He would run through, over, and around guys, and actually shortened several careers as a result.

I completely understand why the names are on the list, and they deserve the respect. But, by the same way that you accuse us of going homer for Earl, I think there were some homer opinions that created that list, as well.

I'd put John Riggins on that list instead of a couple of those names. It doesn't look like power runners got much love.

My bad DB. Poor choice of words. I just knew when I opened the thread I'd see the "Emmitt doesn't belong there, Earl was robbed" talk. It is ever present. Not really homerism but not being able to step back.

Again, Earl is one of my favorite players ever. His style was one that was unique and what he did in his short time was incredible.

But if you are looking at Top 10 backs and you see the panel they put together, much of it makes sense. Dorsett has a strong case with his complete numbers and speed. Marcus Allen probably has a better case than both of them for longevity, yards, TDs, etc.

My statement was in no way to take away from Earl or meant as slight. I just think if you step back and look at all of these guys then it isn't automatic to put him in there or a travesty that he isn't in there.

The same argument used against Earl ("his career was too short") should also be used on Gale Sayers. I put Earl in Gale's place 10 times out of 10.

My bad DB. Poor choice of words. I just knew when I opened the thread I'd see the "Emmitt doesn't belong there, Earl was robbed" talk. It is ever present. Not really homerism but not being able to step back.

Again, Earl is one of my favorite players ever. His style was one that was unique and what he did in his short time was incredible.

But if you are looking at Top 10 backs and you see the panel they put together, much of it makes sense. Dorsett has a strong case with his complete numbers and speed. Marcus Allen probably has a better case than both of them for longevity, yards, TDs, etc.

My statement was in no way to take away from Earl or meant as slight. I just think if you step back and look at all of these guys then it isn't automatic to put him in there or a travesty that he isn't in there.

I understand your perspective, and it's certainly a valid one. :ok:

I would never advocate taking Emmit off the list, simply because he was a great RB and worthy of the list considering his total yards alone. Not to mention everything else he accomplished.

But, it does seem like the list is a bit skewed away from power runners, which is the style that Earl and Riggins were from.

However, I fully admit a bias towards our boy Earl. :howdy:

Replace LT with Earl and I think that's a fair deal.He hasn't even finished his body of work yet and I like SH mention of Bo Jackson....too bad that injury happened. He was really one hell of an athlete.

I was joking around before but Emmitt does deserve to be in the top 10. Sorry if anyone thought that I meant he didn't deserve it. He did have a great line but you've got to have great vision and quickness to hit the holes and Emmitt had that. His broadcasting on the other hand.....well...I will leave that alone because he would probably do better than me up there,lol.

My list?

1. Gayle Sayers
2. Jim Brown
3. Earl Campbell
4. Barry Sanders
5. Walter Payton
6. Franco Harris
7. O.J. Simpson
8. Eric Dickerson
9. Ladainian Tomlinson
10. Marshall Faulk

Honorable mention:

Tony Dorsette ...despite the team he played for.
Thurman Thomas
Jerome Bettis

If you take the amount of time played factor out, then Bo Jackson has to be in the mix. Didn't play all that long, but he was special.

My list?

1. Gayle Sayers
2. Jim Brown
3. Earl Campbell
4. Barry Sanders
5. Walter Payton
6. Franco Harris
7. O.J. Simpson
8. Eric Dickerson
9. Ladainian Tomlinson
10. Marshall Faulk

Honorable mention:

Thurman Thomas
Jerome Bettis

drop sayers to 5 and move the rest up and i agree.

edit: i have to add bo jackson to honorable mention. easily the best athlete to play football. despite the short career, bo was the best football player for his years and if not for the busted hip, this list would be void.

not to disrespect Frog eyes(what my friend calls him) Emmit Smith

magine the rule changes that would have came in effect with Earl Campbell running behind the 90's Cowboy's line.. It would have been criminal to have Earl get to the second level time and time again with a full head of steam

or even have Earl follow Steinkuhler,Munchak,Mathews.etc

The other factor to consider with Earl is he lost four or five years because of the turf. Jim Brown belongs on the top of the list. I don't care how you're dicing them up. He was still on top of his g@me when he quit. and eight in the box still couldn't stop him. Riggins' is in the same boat as Emmit....he had a great line in Washington. Both were great backs on great SB teams...switch them with the Oiler o-line of the late 70's would you get the same results ? I don't think so. EC would flourish behind their respective lines. No doubt.

not to disrespect Frog eyes(what my friend calls him) Emmit Smith

magine the rule changes that would have came in effect with Earl Campbell running behind the 90's Cowboy's line.. It would have been criminal to have Earl get to the second level time and time again with a full head of steam

or even have Earl follow Steinkuhler,Munchak,Mathews.etc

Baby, if Emmit and Earl were in the same room the ONLY reason I would approach Emmit would be to ask him if he could get me a cut in line for Earl's autograph.

drop sayers to 5 and move the rest up and i agree.

edit: i have to add bo jackson to honorable mention. easily the best athlete to play football. despite the short career, bo was the best football player for his years and if not for the busted hip, this list would be void.

Say what you want about Sayers, but that man seemed to move at the speed of light. They couldn't keep up with him and could barely catch him. Doesn't he still hold the record for TD's in a single game? You're right Mr. Vincent "Bo" Jackson does deserve mention but he's in his own catagory. The only two other athletes have done what Bo did. Deion Sanders and the Late Great Mr. Jim Thorpe. Jim was running over muff-huggas back when they played in leather helmets for the love of the game. Those three played football AND baseball. I'd like to see someone else do both and do both well.

I am biassed and I don't give a care about it. Walter "Sweetness" Payton was and will for ever be, the best back this game has ever seen. Power and grace and on some extremely crapy teams, offensive wise. If I met Mike Ditka today I would tell him how pissed I was when he did not let him get a TD in the SuperBowl.

Earl is one of my favorites but we have to be realistic here. He could or could not have bene on there.

Frog,

You may be surprised to find out that Jim Brown's career was the same as Earl's and Gale Sayer's career was shorter than Earls. A couple of those guys only played two more seasons than Earl..... Short career is a bad argument.

Interesting enough, a couple of weekends ago on the NFLN, they were highlighting the Steelers and Mean Joe Green said that Earl was the one player that their defense hated to see. Also, in the playoffs during Earl's rookie season, Earl got hurt and needed help getting to the sideline. Mean Joe said he never liked seeing anyone get hurt, but he was glad that Earl had to leave the game... :hmmm:

I am biassed and I don't give a care about it. Walter "Sweetness" Payton was and will for ever be, the best back this game has ever seen. Power and grace and on some extremely crapy teams, offensive wise. If I met Mike Ditka today I would tell him how pissed I was when he did not let him get a TD in the SuperBowl.

Pffft... Dude couldn't even score a TD in the Super Bowl. The Bears had to rely on Refrigerator Perry to score for them...

:stirpot:

Pffft... Dude couldn't even score a TD in the Super Bowl. The Bears had to rely on Refrigerator Perry to score for them...

:stirpot:

Sirously that pisses me off to no end. :bat:

Years later Ditka said he did not realize that Walter and or the fans would be that upset.

Sirously that pisses me off to no end. :bat:

Years later Ditka said he did not realize that Walter and or the fans would be that upset.

That's exactly how Ditka sealed his fate as an asshat. The crap in New Orleans was just icing on the cake.

Interesting enough, a couple of weekends ago on the NFLN, they were highlighting the Steelers and Mean Joe Green said that Earl was the one player that their defense hated to see. Also, in the playoffs during Earl's rookie season, Earl got hurt and needed help getting to the sideline. Mean Joe said he never liked seeing anyone get hurt, but he was glad that Earl had to leave the game... :hmmm:

I saw that, too. And coming from a legend like Mean Joe Green says a helluva' lot.

Good info on career lengths, too. I did not realize those facts.

Brian Piccolo...if it wasn't for him, Gayle Sayers would have been just a regular running back, as for his illness opened the door for him....

I am kidding of course, but it is hard to say who is the best, as each back had his own unique style...But from the ones I can remember seeing, Barry was the sickest, make you grab air even though you were 1 foot in front of him !!

Ditka has spoken about Payton not getting a TD in the Super Bowl and has said 'its the biggest mistake I have ever made in my life' He said he just got caught up in the game and didn't think of it at the time.

Ditka has spoken about Payton not getting a TD in the Super Bowl and has said 'its the biggest mistake I have ever made in my life' He said he just got caught up in the game and didn't think of it at the time.

Does not make me like him anymore. He is the coach he is not suppossed to get caught up in the game.

I don't care if it's Vince Lombardi roaming the sidelines, there's no way he forgets that Sweetness is behind him on the bench. Besides, there is no way you make a conscious decision to hand the ball off to Perry and not Payton no matter how caught up you are.

I don't care if it's Vince Lombardi roaming the sidelines, there's no way he forgets that Sweetness is behind him on the bench. Besides, there is no way you make a conscious decision to hand the ball off to Perry and not Payton no matter how caught up you are.

There was 4 rushing TD in that game and not one by the future Hall of Fame running back. There is no way in hell any other coach in the history of this game would even do that.

My list?

1. Gayle Sayers
2. Jim Brown
3. Earl Campbell
4. Barry Sanders
5. Walter Payton
6. Franco Harris
7. O.J. Simpson
8. Eric Dickerson
9. Ladainian Tomlinson
10. Marshall Faulk

Honorable mention:

Thurman Thomas
Jerome Bettis

Sorry but not having Emmitt Smith in there just makes the list obsolete and ridiculous. Franco Harris wasn't even close compared to the others. At least people can put aside the dumb hate and respect talent.

Frog,

You may be surprised to find out that Jim Brown's career was the same as Earl's and Gale Sayer's career was shorter than Earls. A couple of those guys only played two more seasons than Earl..... Short career is a bad argument.

Read my response to DB. I have no problem with Earl, the player. He is a fav. I'm just looking at it differently and thinking what the panel might have thought. People not including Emmitt is just asinine.

People not including Emmitt is just asinine.

Have to 1000% agree--any top 10 list that doesn't include Emmitt needs to be in a small room attached to the wall as part of a roll. It's debatable where he should be on the list, but not whether he should be on the list.

Have to 1000% agree--any top 10 list that doesn't include Emmitt needs to be in a small room attached to the wall as part of a roll. It's debatable where he should be on the list, but not whether he should be on the list.

Exactly. I can see people moving him down the Top 10 because of the team around him..even though I'd debate it...but talking him off completely and not even having him in the discussion is plain ridiculous.

My List:
1. Domanick Davis/Williams
2. Ron Dayne
3. Ahman Green
4. James Allen
5. Vernand Morency
6. Chris Taylor
7. Darius Walker
8. Wali Lundy
9. Samkon Gado
10. Adimchinobi Echemandu

:fans:

People not including Emmitt is just asinine.

My only gripe (besides being a Cowboy ;) with Emmit, and this in no way is suggesting that he shouldn't be on this list, was playing for the Cardinals. Again, that stint should have no bearing on his body of work or being worthy of being named on this list...

Again, the one I'm skeptical of is Marshall Faulk. I could see him on the list of 11-20 though.

My only gripe (besides being a Cowboy ;) with Emmit, and this in no way is suggesting that he shouldn't be on this list, was playing for the Cardinals. Again, that stint should have no bearing on his body of work or being worthy of being named on this list...

Again, the one I'm skeptical of is Marshall Faulk. I could see him on the list of 11-20 though.

Agree on Faulk and I can even hear arguments on Emmitt and where he should be in the 10. But I would still make arguments on longevity, toughness, vision, etc compared to line and all. I also didn't like the Cardinal years and found them to be padding the stats.

Marcus Allen was a guy I loved and who I thought belonged close up there.

In my opinion the list would be as follows:

1. Barry Sanders
2. Jim Brown
3. Walter Payton
4. Emmitt Smith
5. Earl Campbell
6. Eric Dickerson
7. Marcus Allen
8. O.J. Simpson
9. Thurman Thomas
10. Curtis Martin

Honorable Mention: