Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bennie Joppru at fullback

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Coach K delivers an A-OK

The way Kubiak was publicly so open about it, I take it that Jameel Cook and Nick Luchey are not the answers at fullback.

"Our fullback has to be sharp, and he has to be able to diagnose what we're doing up front. He makes a lot of adjustments at the line of scrimmage in this scheme. On third-and-one, he's got to block the linebacker and help us move the chains. He also figures in our play-action game, too."

I take it from K that this is NOT happening. Enter Bennie Joppru.

"We may work Bennie at fullback some more," Kubiak said. "We did that early in camp, but we were afraid it might impede his progress. But now I think he's ready. It's an advantage if you're a dual-role guy."

Bennie, at fullback or even tight end......still up in the air about Bennie, 3 years now from Michigan, and just now playing football, I do not know if he will stay as crisp as we would like, after no football for 3 years, it might be hard for him to compete again at this level on a constant basis, I truely hope he does well, I wish we would of sent him to NFL Europe in the off season to tighten him up.......All the best to Bennie as time will only tell.....:yahoo:

I think Cook is fine. They have not been able to find a back-up to him. Joppru is getting a shot to stay on the roster by showing some flexibility. Let's hold off on him taking over the position.

Yes I like Jamel Cook from Tampa Bay, he is the real deal, I believe he will be the deal for this system, he can surely block......he was a true steal...

Use him at fullback, tight end, special teams, holder, 4th and short situations, or whatever, just play. I will not say anything about what Coach Kubs calls him as long as he stays healthy. Personally I would like to see him in more of a Mark Breuner type role, at least for this year.

This is what McClain is paid to do. Talk Texans. Provide substance. Since we've dogged him so much on this board, I figured I would say "well done, John."

Though I did think it a little funny that he mentioned fullback "Nick (Lachey)"

ArlingtonTexan said:
I think Cook is fine. They have not been able to find a back-up to him. Joppru is getting a shot to stay on the roster by showing some flexibility. Let's hold off on him taking over the position.

and im skeptical to see joppru play fullback because u take lots of poundings. i sure hope joppru can handle those hits considering how injury prone he has been...unfortunately.

TexanFanInCC said:
and im skeptical to see joppru play fullback because u take lots of poundings. i sure hope joppru can handle those hits considering how injury prone he has been...unfortunately.

Well, maybe it's a good sign that none of his three season ending injuries invovled contact with another player. :)

From this point forward we will see an ironic phenomenon of watching Bennie Joppru injure opponents repeatly, while staying healthy for about 10 yrs. It's called karma-dropped-you.

lol:

anyways, having a TE at fullback on a PA situation is great, Do you follow him after he hits you with a block, do you try to shed him and go for the ball carrier? If you shed him he could be the target of the pass if you try to stay with him, he could totally block you out of the play or distract you from the running back.. in other words its a headache :confused:

If he can stay healthy, I think Joppru would make a very good H-back. His blocking has never been a question and his receiving skills seemingly have improved since his days at Michigan.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:
If he can stay healthy, I think Joppru would make a very good H-back. His blocking has never been a question and his receiving skills seemingly have improved since his days at Michigan.

IIRC, he was about 15-20 lbs heavier then. I think he needs to pick up on his weight about 15 lbs.:twocents:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:

This is the "Fullback" mode he would be used in, as an H back. Move him around and motion him and the grinding and pounding that a traditional fullback gets are lessened. Closer to the line and moving. Fits in well with the zone blocking scheme. It is actually better to run the zone out of a one back set. The fullback determining the hole just invites athletic defenses to run to the ball quickly. Move him to H and let him compete and see who comes out on top.

TexanFanInCC said:

TE is not exactly easy on the body. Really Joppru is going to have prove he can stay healthy not matter the position. If he is willing to do multiple things his chance of making the squad improves greatly. As a TE only, Bruener, Daniels, and Putzier are all seemingly ahead of him.

Though its nice to just SEE him on the field, one has to remember that he is still just a rookie. He's fresh, he hasn't been hit in a game since what...2002, 2003? I think we should try to move him around with the first and second team against the Rams, to see what type of player he can be. With his size, I don't think he's best suited for TE, considering he would be, at best, fourth on the depth chart. He can be our version of Dallas Clark, who has burned us a few times too many, as our H-back.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:

Joppru has always been a good receiver, thats his strength he dropped 1 or 2 passes his senior year and caught 53 balls

Kubes also mentioned he has thrown the whole playbook at the team, which is not average. That, I think, is the only reason Cook had the MAs, missed assignments. Kubes went on to express confidence in Cook to fix everything. But as far as a backup to Cook, I think that will be Bennie's niche. That's what happens to you work your butt off, coaches find ways to get you involved.

I think he would work nicely as the H back.

I mean he has to earn some of his contract sometime right? idonno: :ouch:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:

Frank Wycheck from the Titans is what I would have in mind.

rafterticket said:
I think this more reflects how much they like Joppru, given the current TE depth, but I could be wrong.

I agree with you!! Kubiak is big on attitude and effort, especially when they translate to results on the field. BJ is not looking for sympathy for all he's been through the last 3 yrs, just a chance to play. If he can stay healthy, BJ has a huge upside as he has the attitude/smarts/work ethic to get better, all requirements in Kubiak's 'player profile.'

cj5776 said:
Kubes also mentioned he has thrown the whole playbook at the team, which is not average. That, I think, is the only reason Cook had the MAs, missed assignments. Kubes went on to express confidence in Cook to fix everything. But as far as a backup to Cook, I think that will be Bennie's niche. That's what happens to you work your butt off, coaches find ways to get you involved.

...good points, especially about playbook and 'working your butt off (Kubiak requirement).'...anybody remember Chris Palmer talking (Texans first year) about how the offense was only getting a small percentage of his playbook (10-25%??) the first year--was going to take sevseral seasons to digest it all!!...so what were we getting going into '05 when the offense was more 'vanilla' than '02?

"(on whether TE Bennie Joppru is getting more comfortable working at both TE and FB) “You know what has been happening to him since we’re out of camp mode now. His body really struggled through the two-a-days and he looks fresher. He’s made some plays out here today. I think with the practices settling down to one-a-day and getting a little weight back (that) he’s lost, he’s going to be getting better and better every week. He’ll be a valuable player on this team because he’ll play a lot of spots.”
(on whether Joppru will have responsibilities as the back-up FB in addition to TE) “There is no doubt. To me he already is. That’s what he’s doing, playing some fullback, playing some tight end. He’s a very smart kid. He gives you, as a coach, flexibility on gameday as what you can do. I’m expecting him to
be a big part of the team, and he needs to keep going.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2793&section=N Latest News
I dunno, but these comments just made by Kubiak are very encouraging for
Bennie. It sounds like Coach has plans for him on a longer term on the 53 man roster ?

nunusguy said:
I dunno, but these comments just made by Kubiak are very encouraging for
Bennie. It sounds like Coach has plans for him on a longer term on the 53 man roster ?
I consider his roster spot locked up tight

Back