Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Barwin and Brown back in negotiations

badboy

Hall of Fame
Barwin and Duane Brown

Houston Chronicle reports Barwin "Conversations have started again." Brown says "We'll see if somethings going to happen in the next couple weeks or so."

Nothing necessarily new, but as a fan I am optimistic. From article:

Ideally, the Texans will sign Brown and Barwin before the season. If not, negotiations won’t resume until after the season. General manager Rick Smith has a policy against negotiating during the season.

“They’re still talking,” Brown said. “I’m letting those guys handle it.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...ill-negotiating-with-texans-on-new-contracts/

At the very least I'd like to get Duane Brown signed, because if he has another season like last year he'll be worth his weight in gold.. and that's a LOT of gold.

At the very least I'd like to get Duane Brown signed, because if he has another season like last year he'll be worth his weight in gold.. and that's a LOT of gold.
Yeah, but to be honest, I expected Smith to wait and see how Mercilus does before doing deal with Barwin. Of course this could be more exploratory. If we can fit these two & Matt under cap, great.

Duane Brown is 320 pounds.
There are 16 ounces in a pound, so that's 5120 ounces.
Price of gold is currently about $1600 an ounce.
That would make a pure gold Duane Brown worth $8,192,000

That sounds a bit low for a LT in the NFL...

:)

Sounds about right actually. We have around 11 players that needs to be re-signed IMO, including DB and CB. Would like to get DB and Barwin a contract before we give Schaub one.

Schaub, Casey, Butler, Caldwell(if they play well this season), Cody, Jamison, McCain, Quin, and Nolan.

What's our cap situation? Would restructuring either of their contracts open room to sign them to a big contract now?

From my recollection, we don't have enough to sign Brown to anything like an $8M/yr deal... & I don't think we'll have any significant savings from either contract to make the room.

Someone else would have to restructure.... Antonio maybe??

What's our cap situation? Would restructuring either of their contracts open room to sign them to a big contract now?

From my recollection, we don't have enough to sign Brown to anything like an $8M/yr deal... & I don't think we'll have any significant savings from either contract to make the room.

Someone else would have to restructure.... Antonio maybe??

We have a lot of dead money that will be coming off the books this year thanks to Demeco and Winston being moved (~10 million I believe). Brown is making somewhere around 2 million this year, and Barwin is on a 2nd round rookie deal which should be around 550k. Schaub is worth about 8.2 million against the cap. We will likely have money to re-sign two of Brown, Barwin and Schaub, but probably not three. Of those three, Barwin is the most dispensable due to the depth at OLB now that we have Mercilus.

It's going to take some significant cap-fu to keep all three, but it would likely cost us other players in the process like Antonio Smith, Owen Daniels or Kevin Walter.

Sounds about right actually. We have around 11 players that needs to be re-signed IMO, including DB and CB. Would like to get DB and Barwin a contract before we give Schaub one.

Schaub, Casey, Butler, Caldwell(if they play well this season), Cody, Jamison, McCain, Quin, and Nolan.

My estimates on avg contract value per year:

Schaub - 10-12 million (Flacco, Sanchez, Romo type money)
Brown - 9-11 million (similar to guys like Jake Long and Joe Thomas)
Barwin - at least 6 million a year, depends on his 2012 performance.
Casey - Minimum
Butler - Minimum
Caldwell - Minimum
Cody - Minimum
Jamison - Minimum
McCain - 4-7 million a year, could be higher if he does better this year. Jason Allen got 4.2 a year, and he's not as good as McCain. CBs are expensive...
Quin - 3-4 million a year (mid-tier safety, which is not a premium position)
Nolan - Minimum

I think it's smart to sign Brown 1st , Barwin 2nd , wait and see on Schaub . The first two will get a bunch more at the end of the year .

If either of them have the type of season they had last year .... they'll command big dollars.

Thats a risk you take in having a policy of not extending players during a season.

They are going to have to pay a bunch of core players next few seasons ... That defense is absolutely loaded with talent , I dont see how they can keep them all in the coming years.

Barwin , Cushing , Reed , Watt , Jackson , Quin .... they wont all hit FA at the same time but will all be up in the next three seasons. How do you pay them all ??

How long has it taken us to find a franchise LT? He's first. Period.
We seem to be tripping over OLB's lately so for the right price you jump on a deal w Barwin but don't overpay.

Schaub...man that's anyone's guess as to how it will play out but everyone can't get a big deal. Could Yates take over and be a franchise QB next year? If RS thinks so then this is obviously Schaub's audition to prove he can stay healthy an entire year and play else where next year.

If either of them have the type of season they had last year .... they'll command big dollars.

Thats a risk you take in having a policy of not extending players during a season.

They are going to have to pay a bunch of core players next few seasons ... That defense is absolutely loaded with talent , I dont see how they can keep them all in the coming years.

Barwin , Cushing , Reed , Watt , Jackson , Quin .... they wont all hit FA at the same time but will all be up in the next three seasons. How do you pay them all ??

You cant,

But you've got to try to keep the LB corps and Watt. They are the heart and soul of the defense. I hate the thought of losing Quin. He's very underrated. IMHO But hopefully they can invest draft picks and vet FA's (Leonhard and Elam types.)

They may be able to Quin too able to sign if they let Smith and Schaub walk. Dutch is our resident cap guy and he would be better speaking about cap issues.

You cant,

But you've got to try to keep the LB corps and Watt. They are the heart and soul of the defense. I hate the thought of losing Quin. He's very underrated. IMHO But hopefully they can invest draft picks and vet FA's (Leonhard and Elam types.)

They may be able to Quin too able to sign if they let Smith and Schaub walk. Dutch is our resident cap guy and he would be better speaking about cap issues.

Yeah, where the hell are ya Dutch? :D

Gold is measured in Troy ounces. 12 Troy ounces in a Troy pound. But a Troy pound weighs a little less than a regular pound. So Duane weighs about 389 Troy pounds. A bargain at less than $7.5 Million...

I'm glad to see the Texans are in negotiations with both players, get it done Rick. While I'd like both players to sign and soon, if I have to pick between them I'd prefer to get Brown extended first. I love Connor Barwin but the apparent depth at OLB the Texans have developed makes Barwin less of a necessity. Hopefully both are reasonable, realize they're in a good situation with the Texans and will sign reasonable contracts and not drag this out.

I'm glad to see the Texans are in negotiations with both players, get it done Rick. While I'd like both players to sign and soon, if I have to pick between them I'd prefer to get Brown extended first. I love Connor Barwin but the apparent depth at OLB the Texans have developed makes Barwin less of a necessity. Hopefully both are reasonable, realize they're in a good situation with the Texans and will sign reasonable contracts and not drag this out.

I don't understand this thinking. Soon as Mario signed with Buffalo, outside pass rusher became our top priority despite the apparent need at WR. If we lose Barwin it will be the same thing next year unless Brahman or another UDFA steps up & plays lights out.

Until Wade starts developing late round picks into players, we're going to have to invest heavily on our pass rushers.

Back