Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

BADBOY college players to watch 2023 draft

With the first half of football season in the books, Draft Wire editor Luke Easterling updates his early projections for the 2023 NFL draft

What a worthless piece. Texans must roll the dice on Young regardless of size concerns b/c they may need a QB. I do not see Young as a Franchise QB1 so why reach for a QB?

I’d be trading the #1 pick b/c some QB needy team that’s further along than the Texans will be willing to trade into that spot.

I see this as a pick that could return 3-4 solid picks and a 2024 pick as well. This will benefit the team in the long run.

What a worthless piece. Texans must roll the dice on Young regardless of size concerns b/c they may need a QB. I do not see Young as a Franchise QB1 so why reach for a QB?

I’d be trading the #1 pick b/c some QB needy team that’s further along than the Texans will be willing to trade into that spot.

I see this as a pick that could return 3-4 solid picks and a 2024 pick as well. This will benefit the team in the long run.

Of course you need a trading partner? If that is in place fine. Set your roster up for future upgrades both players & coaches.

I'm starting to buy in on the Carter pick with Anderson sliding out of my #1. I'm sure we can trade #1 overall to a QB deprived team for a load of picks and may be able to stay in top 5.

To be fair-- not all agree that Young is not a franchise QB 1 [even on this board] so it wouldn't be a reach and therefor not a worthless piece -- just one you disagree with.

Tomorrow is another day of mostly uninteresting college football with some interest in Alabama's game and Georgia's.

Washington vs #6 Oregon will give insight on Huskies QB who has great stats.

Otherwise not so much.

You're not going to change his mind. He sees what he wants to see. He's trying to justify taking a QB in his own mind.
I didn't say anything about a qb, I said Carter has been very average this year. I've stated if I were drafting and decided on a defender, it would be Murphy before Carter. Murphy is more productive and is a much better physical athlete.

It only takes one... Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota went 1-2

Who you drafting #1 or 2 in this draft? If nobody wants to trade up, go down the list, take Winston and Mariotta out and tell me who you're taking 1st

I know a lot of people want to go QB, but I've always been a build-the-trenchs kind of guy. Having strong play on the line papers over a lot of weaknesses. Use early picks to take guys who you think will dominate the line on both sides of the ball. Maybe Carter. Maybe Anderson. Maybe Skoronski. Maybe Fashanu.

I know a lot of people want to go QB, but I've always been a build-the-trenchs kind of guy. Having strong play on the line papers over a lot of weaknesses. Use early picks to take guys who you think will dominate the line on both sides of the ball. Maybe Carter. Maybe Anderson. Maybe Skoronski. Maybe Fashanu.
In my opinion, you don't take a guy because he plays one side or the other, you take the best player and hope he's all pro or at least pro bowl caliber. There have been flops in the trenches as well at qb, so it doesn't matter. We've seen sure fire guys like Gallery, Fisher,and Jockel flame out at the same rate as the qb's or dl. Look no further than Clowney vs Mack. You have to get it right regardless.

How about Kingsley Eguakun (Florida) as a Center prospect? The video I've seen of him he looks like he would be a good upgrade at the position.

Who you drafting #1 or 2 in this draft? If nobody wants to trade up, go down the list, take Winston and Mariotta out and tell me who you're taking 1st
Huh? My point was that it only takes one team to want to trade up. I guess I should have used Goff and Wentz as examples instead

Tomorrow is another day of mostly uninteresting college football with some interest in Alabama's game and Georgia's.

Washington vs #6 Oregon will give insight on Huskies QB who has great stats.

Otherwise not so much.
Should be a lot of interest locally in TCU/Texas

How about Kingsley Eguakun (Florida) as a Center prospect? The video I've seen of him he looks like he would be a good upgrade at the position.
TCU has a very good prospect who plays center and can probably play guard also. He's a tall center like the Jackson kid under Reid in Philly.

Huh? My point was that it only takes one team to want to trade up. I guess I should have used Goff and Wentz as examples instead
I'm just asking because you used Winston and Mariotta. Nobody traded up to get either and if you view that draft 20/20 ,who would you have drafted ahead of those 2? Goff went 1st, Philly traded up and Wentz was on his way before the injury. If he never plays that year, they aren't in position to win that superbowl or am I making that up? He was the mvp pre injury. What we know about Wentz is his leadership within a lockerroom is the problem, not so much as his talent. Goff went to a superbowl being insulated by Wonderkid.

I'm just asking because you used Winston and Mariotta. Nobody traded up to get either and if you view that draft 20/20 ,who would you have drafted ahead of those 2? Goff went 1st, Philly traded up and Wentz was on his way before the injury. If he never plays that year, they aren't in position to win that superbowl or am I making that up? He was the mvp pre injury. What we know about Wentz is his leadership within a lockerroom is the problem, not so much as his talent. Goff went to a superbowl being insulated by Wonderkid.
Ok, forget the comparison. I was just answering RMartins question about who would trade up for them. It only takes one team to want a QB enough to trade up

I didn't say anything about a qb, I said Carter has been very average this year. I've stated if I were drafting and decided on a defender, it would be Murphy before Carter. Murphy is more productive and is a much better physical athlete.
Dou you want a QB?

Carter had a really good game in his 2nd game back after missing a month against the a team with probably the best ol in college football. BTW, Tennessee was throwing a lot of quick throws so there was very little time to get to the QB. Carter did get there when it mattered the most.

For example in 2023 draft thhere are solid trench players in round 2 and 3 both side of LOS.

QBs who could start game one after pick 10..

Zero.

Stroud, Young or Levis could flop yet so could everyone else. No other position as significant, harder to train or more rare than QB; not even close. Put off until 24 and odds greatly reduced one will be available. Then said selection might not be guy.

Anderson and Carter have had significantly lesser season than Young or Stroud. Skoronski has same size issues as Bryce Young. Fashanu on most boards not ranked a round one.

Why not get your QB 1st then build trenches same draft? Also our oline is ranked better [except OC which can be in round 3 or 4) by others than by us.

Not directing this at you but I think some on this board pick a player from a top five ranked team to focus on and not look at any other players or just repeat what some who do research players say.

Good selection as can be had day three and could develop into an eventual NFL starter. Needs to knock off the rough and Step into the role in my opinion.

Issue? Texans need a starting center for day one not for 2024 or Beyond.

Good selection as can be had day three and could develop into an eventual NFL starter. Needs to knock off the rough and Step into the role in my opinion.

Issue? Texans need a starting center for day one not for 2024 or Beyond.
I haven’t looked at the crop of free agents this year for center but wondering if we can address that for next year in free agency. But yeah if nothing comes up in free agency we are probably gonna need at least a day 2 pick at center because Quessenberry cannot be our started next year under any circumstances

TCU has a very good prospect who plays center and can probably play guard also. He's a tall center like the Jackson kid under Reid in Philly.
Yes! Probably could be had with our pick in fourth. John Michael Schmitz is my guy. Both are examples including Notre Dame's Jarrett Patterson and the kid from Arkansas who has seemed to slip into anonymity as players who could build our offensive middle and still allow us to get a quarterback.

I haven’t looked at the crop of free agents this year for center but wondering if we can address that for next year in free agency. But yeah if nothing comes up in free agency we are probably gonna need at least a day 2 pick at center because Quessenberry cannot be our started next year under any circumstances
Good question and answering my opinion is no to free agency for offensive Center. The only possible free agent I would be interested in is at middle linebacker and it would take millions and millions to sign him but I would do it

Good question and answering my opinion is no to free agency for offensive Center. The only possible free agent I would be interested in is at middle linebacker and it would take millions and millions to sign him but I would do it
Smith isn't going tobe available in FA.

Devin Bush and Rashaan Evans, Kazir White and Duke Riley will be though and they will be much cheaper than Smith. I would actually true to sign 2 of them. Probably Evans and White. They, along with Harris would be massive upgrades over the current LB group. This and investing a couple rd. 1-2 picks on the DL and this defense would look quite different.

I'm also for bringing in a couple of cheap DT's like Street and Iadonnis to give them some depth/Talent that's currently lacking. The only thing that I wonder abput is Lovie going to be here after next yr and will these guys fit the next HC/DC's system. I'm betting the LB's can fit any system.

Reactions: JB
Number 9 Alabama versus Ole Miss number 11 with the Tide not looking good at all. Running back Jahmyr Gibbs not having a good game going into 9 minutes of second quarter. Also before I turned game on: the guy I am focusing on cornerback Eli Ricks was knocked from game first play.

Ten to nothing but Bryce Young just made a rattlesnake strike of 19 yd pass for a touchdown. 80 yards 7 plays. 10-7.

Last edited:
And after apparently taking off a series before the Bama TD, Will Anderson impacts game 2 consecutive snaps the first a near interception by Jordan battle. With 7 minutes and 52 seconds left in the half Bama running back Earl fumbles with Ole Miss recovering on 49 yard line.

Last edited:
CJ Stroud is going to cost a GM their job I just hope it isn’t ours. His oline is so damn good it looks like he’s playing 7 on 7 with the best receivers in the country on his side. Most of the plays where there’s pressure he just does not look good. Personally I’m not touching him in the first 10 picks.

Reactions: JB
CJ Stroud is going to cost a GM their job I just hope it isn’t ours. His oline is so damn good it looks like he’s playing 7 on 7 with the best receivers in the country on his side. Most of the plays where there’s pressure he just does not look good. Personally I’m not touching him in the first 10 picks.
from Ian Cummings today:

Back