Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Avoiding Texans now should be Young's No. 1 concern [article]

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Avoiding Texans now should be Young's No. 1 concern

DALLAS - It was like living a dream, Vince Young said of playing for the national title. It is not over yet, what with all the opportunities that befit Young's new status - the greatest player in bowl championship history - still being thrown at his feet.

But if Young becomes the first player taken in April's NFL draft, which he declared for Sunday afternoon, his next stop up the athletic ladder could be like living a nightmare: quarterback of the dreadful Houston Texans.

Rest of article

It's interesting to see how the rest of the country perceives us. :howdy:

YoungTexanFan said:
yes, but what is worse is to see how some of our own fans perceive us.

Sadly, this is true. Hearing "fans" planning to boycott the team if they don't pick a certain player is a sad chapter in H-town sports history. I'm done even trying to defend us any more, because it seems that perception does equal reality at times. For the most part, we are a fairweather sports city.

Double Barrel said:
Sadly, this is true. Hearing "fans" planning to boycott the team if they don't pick a certain player is a sad chapter in H-town sports history. I'm done even trying to defend us any more, because it seems that perception does equal reality at times. For the most part, we are a fairweather sports city.

Which is exactly why McNair will wise up and take VY. Houston fans voice their displeasure by not showing up in rough times, escecially if they feel like they have been wronged. Vince as an Oiler is the ultimate insult. No way he plays for a division rival that used to play in Houston. Public outcry (which has already started) would be brutal.

this whole thing is an exact duplicate of why Charlie Rogers got picked...............and that bombed.................and before you say Rogers is not VY most players play poorly in front of their hometown fans...............I hope you guys take him because Bush will be an every down back for 15 yrs...............

its sad.. its pathetic.. it has made me wonder if I could ever stop being a Texans fan.. not because I dont love the team.. but because I cant stand being associated with the fanbase.

Wordem said:
Laughable.
Dude I am banking on guys like you making Bob McNair think about taking VY.....................RBush is a no brainer..............only in Houston could you pass on RBush..............and trust me my boys over in Titan land are loving this...............

bleh.. honestly i dislike all the Young groupies as much as much or more than you Bongo.. but you cant tell me that there arent as many people on the Titans board wanting us to let Young slide to you, as there are hoping Bush slides to you.

Young to the Titans actually makes alot of sense.

Grid said:
bleh.. honestly i dislike all the Young groupies as much as much or more than you Bongo.. but you cant tell me that there arent as many people on the Titans board wanting us to let Young slide to you, as there are hoping Bush slides to you.

Young to the Titans actually makes alot of sense.
Grid................go right now to titanscentral.net and make a poll VY vs Bush and let it go 48 hrs..................I'll guarrantee you Bush wins and it wont be close.

Bongo59 said:
Dude I am banking on guys like you making Bob McNair think about taking VY.....................RBush is a no brainer..............only in Houston could you pass on RBush..............and trust me my boys over in Titan land are loving this...............

If ONLY IN HOUSTON could we pass on him, then he aint getting past new orleans

Grid said:
its sad.. its pathetic.. it has made me wonder if I could ever stop being a Texans fan.. not because I dont love the team.. but because I cant stand being associated with the fanbase.

Post of the decade.

Grid said:
if the Titans have a better fanbase than us I am so gonna cry :)

The Titans will have just as many fans in Reliant when they come to town as the Texans if they wind up with Vince Young. In fact, I would expect to see a large number of VY Oiler-blue jerseys in the stands.

swtbound07 said:
If ONLY IN HOUSTON could we pass on him, then he aint getting past new orleans
They have no QB in NO.............................Brooks and Bouman are being shown the door.....................they will pick a QB no doubt...............If you guys let Bush GO he'll be a Titan.

its not like everyone is threatening a boycott. I've never said that...nor will i boo...nor will i stop going to games, or buying jerseys. I feel like i am a smart, articulate fan with an unpopular opinion.....

Double Barrel said:
Rest of article

More like it's disinteresting to see how Kevin Blackstone perceives us. He's Dallas's version of Richard Justice. But, to his credit, he did mention something that no one around cares to discuss.
Hand the ball to Young, and he will be welcomed just as rudely to NFL life, no matter his prodigious athletic skills. Vick isn't nearly as big and strong as Young, but he came into the league with a reputation for being able to run away from danger, too. NFL players have added to his reputation. Now it includes "injury prone."

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (oops) I forgot I shouldn't talk about that.:rolleyes:

Marcus said:
More like it's disinteresting to see how Kevin Blackstone perceives us. He's Dallas's version of Richard Justice. But, to his credit, he did mention something that no one around cares to discuss.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (oops) I forgot I shouldn't talk about that.:rolleyes:

Good observation, Marcus. But yeah...shhhhhhhh. He's Superman. ;)

I don't know much about Kevin Blackstone, but his sentiment is pretty much echoed by the national media about Houston. It's by the good grace of Bob McNair that we have a team. Definitely not the public outcry and demands, because they didn't exist.

I shouldn't be too hard on the fans...I mean, a good 10,000 of us did go to those last couple of games. It's just when I hear about Green Bay fans, waiting decades before getting to go to their first game, the rabid nature of supporting a team regardless of who they pick in a draft, I get a little teary-eyed about what it must be like to live in a real life NFL town. :rolleyes:

Double Barrel said:
Good observation, Marcus. But yeah...shhhhhhhh. He's Superman. ;)

I don't know much about Kevin Blackstone, but his sentiment is pretty much echoed by the national media about Houston. It's by the good grace of Bob McNair that we have a team. Definitely not the public outcry and demands, because they didn't exist.

I shouldn't be too hard on the fans...I mean, a good 10,000 of us did go to those last couple of games. It's just when I hear about Green Bay fans, waiting decades before getting to go to their first game, the rabid nature of supporting a team regardless of who they pick in a draft, I get a little teary-eyed about what it must be like to live in a real life NFL town. :rolleyes:

lol....we wouldnt support the texans if it was an intemperate climate....the open roof/closed roof debacle should show that....

swtbound07 said:
lol....we wouldnt support the texans if it was an intemperate climate....the open roof/closed roof debacle should show that....

dang, I got bit by a mosquito! Close the roof! Close the roof! :heh:

Man, I sure know how y'all are feeling. I am totally embarassed at how a seemingly large segment of the Texans fan base is acting. I wouldn't be surprised to see an ESPN comercial depicting Texan fans with dunce caps, picking their nose and whining and crying that they must have their way. Why not, that's how most all other fans see us. I get crap every day from folks here because I wear my Texans jacket, actually had one of the gaurds in my building break out laughing his comment..."What the hell are you guys thinking in Houston to not want to draft Bush and threating to walk away from the team". Guess what...really didn't have an answer for that, and I'm not a draft Bush fan.

Grid said:
It's why I can't stand the Cowboys.:)

Bongo59 said:
this whole thing is an exact duplicate of why Charlie Rogers got picked...............and that bombed.................and before you say Rogers is not VY most players play poorly in front of their hometown fans...............I hope you guys take him because Bush will be an every down back for 15 yrs...............

An everyday back for 15 year? I doubt it. He's going to be good, and probably great. I still seriously doubt he'll be an everyday back for 15 years though.

awful article, im sure Vince is really scared of being drafted by his hometown team which he has already said he wants to play for :rollseyes

Grid said:

Grid I live that balancing act every season here in Austin. UT is my college team only because I was born here, but I cannot stand to go to any of the games or listen to radio the following Monday because of the fans.

Texans fans will get over the lack of a VY pick, if it happens, just as UT fans got over Mack Brown can't win the big one. There is only one cure for the disgruntled fan and its more cowbell, errr wins.

Kaiser Toro said:
Grid I live that balancing act every season here in Austin. UT is my college team only because I was born here, but I cannot stand to go to any of the games or listen to radio the following Monday because of the fans.

Rest assured that this is not limited to Austin. I've experienced the same in Ann Arbor and Columbus, and assume it's the same in Lincoln, Miami, Tuscaloosa, et. al.

edo783 said:
Man, I sure know how y'all are feeling. I am totally embarassed at how a seemingly large segment of the Texans fan base is acting. I wouldn't be surprised to see an ESPN comercial depicting Texan fans with dunce caps, picking their nose and whining and crying that they must have their way. Why not, that's how most all other fans see us. I get crap every day from folks here because I wear my Texans jacket, actually had one of the gaurds in my building break out laughing his comment..."What the hell are you guys thinking in Houston to not want to draft Bush and threating to walk away from the team". Guess what...really didn't have an answer for that, and I'm not a draft Bush fan.

I agree, I don't get those fans that say they wouldn't buy tickets to see their team. I can't afford tickets right now, but if I could I would go just to be able to show I support the Texans. I can think whatever during and after the draft and I reserve the right to be pissed, but I just don't think I could bring myself to betray the team I love, and I can't understand how any Texan fan could even think of doing so. Shamesticks on them.

Double Barrel said:
Rest of article

Dallas Morning News. What do you expect?

Jerry Jones would be all over Vince's jock if he had the chance.

No one in Nashville knew who Earl was either until November 22, 1978.

Reggie Bush? Charles White.

Runner said:
Rest assured that this is not limited to Austin. I've experienced the same in Ann Arbor and Columbus, and assume it's the same in Lincoln, Miami, Tuscaloosa, et. al.

Heh, except in Iowa where people are like, "There are Texans fans?"

Doesn't Blackistone usually get dominated on Around the Horn by Michael Smith, Jay Mariotti, and JA Adande?

dat_boy_yec said:
I agree, I don't get those fans that say they wouldn't buy tickets to see their team. I can't afford tickets right now, but if I could I would go just to be able to show I support the Texans. I can think whatever during and after the draft and I reserve the right to be pissed, but I just don't think I could bring myself to betray the team I love, and I can't understand how any Texan fan could even think of doing so. Shamesticks on them.

Losing badly is what keeps me from buying tickets.:twocents: I went to some games the first two years, but haven't been lately. A lot less traffic on my couch and the same result.:tv: We need to be more entertaining and any of these first pick overall guys should do that.:drool:

Wordem said:
Which is exactly why McNair will wise up and take VY. Houston fans voice their displeasure by not showing up in rough times, escecially if they feel like they have been wronged. Vince as an Oiler is the ultimate insult. No way he plays for a division rival that used to play in Houston. Public outcry (which has already started) would be brutal.

If McNair makes his decision based on your reasoning, he is a BAD businessman. If he decides that Young is the best selection for the future of our team (because of football reasons alone), more power to him.

Back