Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

ATTN: Chris Palmer - Re: The art of suprise

I think you are somehow trying to suprise the other team by running on 2nd and long plays. I just wanted to let you know that the opposing team usually looks at the tape of previous games, and they quickly figure out that you like to run the ball with your mediocre running back(sorry, he is) in situations most teams would pass, it is especially laughable considering your running back has yet to have a run over 15 yards.

Thanks, venting is fun.

yeah i dont know if you have been reading the other posts but its a big complaint around here !!! Not very creative is he ??? I guess he thinks teams dont remember stuff like that,,,i've seen them run it on 3rd and 25,,,kinda funny but frustrating !

I decided to delete what i wrote to Palmer because it wasn't very nice of me to say these things to him...i'm not a hurtful person...but the coaches do need to get their act together....

that was me who said that,,,but the high school team lost to,,,hmmm palmer sticks with his old ways (even thought it was in the script) !!!! na he is more worried about money than bringing the playoffs or a winning season to houston !! Kiss this year good by and hope he opens up the play book MORE next season !

the art of suprised was stopped my Al Harris... he did an awesome job staying home and reading the reverse and seeing Carr streak down the sideline for a fleaflicker
Got to give credit where credit is due.

We had what 3 or 4 variations on the reverse in the game? That is a play that has diminishing returns.

texansgal8 said:
I haven't seen that movie but i'd bet anything he used the same plays in the movie as he used for the Texans... :rofl:

What movie is everyone talking about? Chris Palmer was in a movie during the middle of our season?

By the way. . . I made 25 bucks at the game last night betting on which play Palmer was going to call. I loved the two running plays on 1ST and 2nd and long. It is very sad when we know what he's going to do. . . and we know what he's going to do, because he calls the same ridiculous calls over and over again. THERE IS A REASON TEAMS PASS ON 1ST AND 15, AND SECOND AND 18.....

GO TEXANS....I STILL LOVE YOU EVEN IF YOU DON'T WIN ANYMORE GAMES, BUT SOMETHING, I MEAN SOMEONE, NEEDS TO CHANGE

No he wasn't in a movie, he directed all the football plays for the movie Tim McGraw was in called "friday nite lights"...It's out now in theatres....I deleted my post about him because after i thought about i didn't think it was very nice just because i was upset about the game....but my opinion still is that his attention should have been more on the Texans then his movie...

dwilt72 said:
Yeah, how about a pass on first down?

Dwilt, That is a ridiculous statement. . . No one passes on first and ten in this league. What’s wrong with you? Don’t you know you run on first and second and pass on third down?

ROOKIE!

We did on 1st play of very 1st game against Dallas, sure it helped Dallas player interfered with Bradford. BUT WE DID IT on 1st and 10 and have seen many teams mix it up to keep defense on toes

:banana:

Sometimes I wonder if some of you even watch the game.

Last night the Texans passed on 1st down 14 times and ran on 1st down 11 times.

The 1st down play call breakdown by quarter:

1st: Run 2; Pass 3
2nd: Run 5; Pass 5
3rd: Run 3; Pass 4
4th: Run 1; Pass 2

I counted 2 of Carr's scrambles as Pass plays because that's what they were before coverage forced him to run.

In God We Trust -- All others bring data.
Forget the good - remember the bad.

aj. said:
Sometimes I wonder if some of you even watch the game.

Last night the Texans passed on 1st down 14 times and ran on 1st down 11 times.

The 1st down play call breakdown by quarter:

1st: Run 2; Pass 3
2nd: Run 5; Pass 5
3rd: Run 3; Pass 4
4th: Run 1; Pass 2

I counted 2 of Carr's scrambles as Pass plays because that's what they were before coverage forced him to run.

In God We Trust -- All others bring data.
Forget the good - remember the bad.

You can always count on AJ to bring things into perspective...Thanks for the stats AJ

aj. said:
Herd mentality sux.

I hear you, and for the most part that is true. But how do you justify running on 1 and 15 and then again on 2 and 18 BACK TO BACK...I'm not sure if those were the exact numbers, but i think they are pretty close.

I'm not asking to be a smart a ss....I would really like to know, maybe there is something i am missing

I didn't like the fact that they ran on both of those plays either. In other words, I had a problem with at least one of those two calls.

My earlier point is directed at the criticism that there was some kind of shortage of 1st down pass plays last night.

I agree with you on that AJ...They did pass on 1st down, however it seemed liked they ran on some situations that were obvious passing situations

And I think that is why Palmer calls those plays, hoping to catch the other team off kiltter. Seldom works though when you have over 10 yards to get. Palmer does try to surprise the other team, just not allways at very good times. The weird thing is he also goes turtle for long periods, kind of like he is afraid to TRY and push the other team around.

There may be questionable play calls from time to time but I think this team's problems are rooted in the offensive line. They aren't blocking anyone. The system isn't working.

What if Chris Palmer...

Went an entire game without running DD between the tackles?

Aired it out (i mean heaving it downfield to AJ, or even Armstrong) at least 2 or 3 times a quarter (especially because our ground game isn't worth the effort anymore)

Didn't run FIVE reverses in one game :heh: ... (I don't even do that when I play football video games, and I have a tendency to be too repetitive in play calling)

Actually ran a screen play (it might be scary with our O-Line, but its worth a shot to try once.... I know!!! how bout next game only 4 reverses and 1 screen :hmmm: )

I heard something on 610 this evening saying that Carlton Thompson had talked to Chris Palmer today and he said that during the 4th quarter (or it maybe 2nd half) that we had run 11 pass plays, 12 run plays: 4 of the run plays were audibled by Carr from a pass to a run. So if Carr had not audibled those calls we would have had 15 pass plays, 8 run plays.

Chris Palmer sucks anyway. After you run the same stupid reverse over and over and it never works, then it's time to look a little further in that playbook. I don't see him being around here next year. At least I hope. I mean we can't even get DD over 3 yds. per carry this year. Even after all that **** about zone blocking. I think it's time to go back to last years run scheme and let DD loose. :boxing: :boxing:

Well, for those of you who blame Chris Palmer (I'm not one of them), QB coach Marc Trestman of the Dolphins will probably be available for an offensive coordinator job next year. He used to be a respected coordinator and QB mentor...but he's been prevented from helping the Dolphins (or being promoted after Wannstedt's firing) due to infighting on the Miami coaching staff. Probably won't want to stick around for a new regime.

TexanExile said:
Well, for those of you who blame Chris Palmer (I'm not one of them), QB coach Marc Trestman of the Dolphins will probably be available for an offensive coordinator job next year. He used to be a respected coordinator and QB mentor...but he's been prevented from helping the Dolphins (or being promoted after Wannstedt's firing) due to infighting on the Miami coaching staff. Probably won't want to stick around for a new regime.

im sry i dont know this guy but getting a qb coach from miami doesnt seem like a good idea. maybe we could get kansas cities defensive coordinator.

Trestman had success in San Fran, Oakland and Arizona as O.C. He's bounced around a lot over the years -- he's been with at least 5 teams that I can remember (other than Miami).

Unfortunately for the haters, Palmer's not going anywhere in '05.

WOW you all went 3 and out on your three last possesions and you couldn't score in the fourth. We are in the same boat, Jags went 3 and out 4 times against the cap hell ridden Titans. Both our offenses are loaded with talent yet they are getting ransacked by our OC's. Jeff just beat our Jaguar with a Pinto, so I highly suggest you all watchout. :shocked

Seems to me Jagbch that you along with Jeff are both on borrowed time. You need to get that Turkey bone out of your throat before you play us again.
We have probs and we will adjust for the weekend. :whistle:

Back