Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Assuming we get the #1 pick...

and we take Bush number one. What LT will be available with the first pick in the 2nd round? Is it possible that Winston falls that far?

killerklown24 said:
and we take Bush number one. What LT will be available with the first pick in the 2nd round? Is it possible that Winston falls that far?

I dont think there is a slim chance in hell for winston to fall all the way down to the 2nd round.

Mad Max Jean-Gilles could possibly be & he is a massive 360 lb. road grader or Greg Eslinger who is the best pulling Center I've ever seen those would both be excellent picks and of course my favorite Davin Joseph, Oklahoma 6030 315, he can play LT, RT or LG or RG :cool:

Apart from beerlover's players which would all be nice additions, there's a real possibility Darryn Colledge will be there if we're picking at 33. The only way Winston is there is if he hurts himself before the draft.

yeah i think we will trade down in the draft and be able to pick up a few more players to maybe fill some of the other holes we have, i mean we singned D.D to a nice lil contract last year and i dont see this franchise giving up on one of the few bright spots of our team.

Why not? Denver traded away portis...Why wouldn't we trade DD for extra picks?

TexansTrueFan said:
yeah i think we will trade down in the draft and be able to pick up a few more players to maybe fill some of the other holes we have, i mean we singned D.D to a nice lil contract last year and i dont see this franchise giving up on one of the few bright spots of our team.

my problem with this thinking is alot of fans feel the Texans can fix more needs with just more picks in 1 year using Reggie Bush as a bargaining chip. Andre Johnson is the closest thing the Texans have to a big play manufactuer. Bush would not only make Andre more dangerous he would also make Dominack more effective and help relieve the beating his chronic knee sustains. with good drafting and not trading away all our picks (like has been done in the past) this is our one great opportunity to get the man who can put the Texans on his back into the playoffs and someday the Superbowl. sure he cannot do it alone but for goodness sake we have more draft picks and free agency. a team would have to really wow me with a offer I could not refuse to pass on Reggie if the Texans have the #1 pick :ok:

beerlover said:
my problem with this thinking is alot of fans feel the Texans can fix more needs with just more picks in 1 year using Reggie Bush as a bargaining chip. Andre Johnson is the closest thing the Texans have to a big play manufactuer. Bush would not only make Andre more dangerous he would also make Dominack more effective and help relieve the beating his chronic knee sustains. with good drafting and not trading away all our picks (like has been done in the past) this is our one great opportunity to get the man who can put the Texans on his back into the playoffs and someday the Superbowl. sure he cannot do it alone but for goodness sake we have more draft picks and free agency. a team would have to really wow me with a offer I could not refuse to pass on Reggie if the Texans have the #1 pick :ok:
yes...exactly

I still think we would be better off giving up Bush for more picks or players. We have too many holes to fill, besides RB. :twocents:

bobby 119C:brickwall

beerlover said:

Well the only problem with that statement is AJ is a playmaker but why hasnt he shown anything. Could it be because we have no blocking/pass cathing TE? Could it be our pass protection isnt any good? Could it be our coaches not recognizing things? Bush wont solve any of those if Carr cant get him the ball right. What good is signing a guy to a 50 Mil deal if we cant use him. The only way Bush would make AJ more dangerous is if Carr isnt being sacked or hurried the whole game. I think you guys are looking at this backwards. If you cant protect the quarterback then no 1 will help you. Who cares if we put Bush in the slot if Carr doesnt have time to throw the ball this is simple here guys. Why are you all so blind.

beerlover said:

and some team will. Bush is that hyped.

beerlover said:

AJ has Mathis and DD to relieve the preasure. Wells proved he can be adequate enough if forced to start and is our perfect short yardage back.

royce1054 said:
If you cant protect the quarterback then no 1 will help you. Who cares if we put Bush in the slot if Carr doesnt have time to throw the ball this is simple here guys. Why are you all so blind.

You seem to be the only one with blinders. All you are think of is protecting Carr.:drool: That is not the only thing that is wrong with this team. We need defensive help and playmakers once Carr has some time. You need to address all these needs and saying the best way to fill these needs is to focus on just protection does not get us the best results. If we get the first pick the best playmaker in the draft will be available and no one can agree on who the best person will be for any position after that. I have heard at least 5 linemen and numerous others as good choices. But I have seen very few people say that Bush will not be the #1 pick, which ever team is first. That is the consensus best player available, we don't neccessarily need a running back, but we do need playmakers. He is the best available, we also need Carr protection, and defense. We are not just blinded by Bush, we are judging talent based on the Entire draft availability. You can get Bush, Carr protection, and Defensive help all in one draft.:drool: It all depends on how we play our cards. I would like my cake and eat it to.

texplayer2 said:
You seem to be the only one with blinders. All you are think of is protecting Carr.:drool: That is not the only thing that is wrong with this team. We need defensive help and playmakers once Carr has some time. You need to address all these needs and saying the best way to fill these needs is to focus on just protection does not get us the best results. If we get the first pick the best playmaker in the draft will be available and no one can agree on who the best person will be for any position after that. I have heard at least 5 linemen and numerous others as good choices. But I have seen very few people say that Bush will not be the #1 pick, which ever team is first. That is the consensus best player available, we don't neccessarily need a running back, but we do need playmakers. He is the best available, we also need Carr protection, and defense. We are not just blinded by Bush, we are judging talent based on the Entire draft availability. You can get Bush, Carr protection, and Defensive help all in one draft.:drool: It all depends on how we play our cards. I would like my cake and eat it to.

Appearently you never read any of my posts. well tell whats been happing the past 4 years since we havent been protecting Carr. It hasnt worked its time we do something. Right our needs on Offense are better pass blocking OL, and run blocking and pass catching TE, and maybe a #2 WR. Thats all we need. DD is doing good he would of been doing much better if we had a TE and could protect Carr so that we could get the 8th man out of the box.
:homer: and you call me blind. I mean come on. You must know nothing about football. I have said so many times we dont have to go O-line in the draft. Pls read my post before you come with no info. I mean it makes u look like :homer:. I have said we could go Jimmy Williams to be our #2 CB or we could go Hawk or Greenway. Dude pls do some scouting and watch some games before you come here and post what you want. Appearently you have no clue about whats going on. You would of been the guy we would of laughed at every year we played football with comments like that. i mean dude whats ur football iq like 0. Stop listening to what you are hearing on TV and the radio and watch a game. Look at whats really going on. Sorry guys i am tired of trying to point out the same damn things and only like 5 people here see what i am talking about.

xtruroyaltyx said:

They traded Portis for a proven shut down CB. There's a big difference between a sure thing & a late 1st/2nd day pick.

The way teams defense us pretty simple. They'll rush the 4 down D-linemen and that's usually it. Leaving 7 other defenders. If we leave a TE in to block this gives the defense the ability to double AJ, cover Gaff & Bradford knowing that Gaff will usually run a short route and Bradford will have a hard time catching the ball. That leaves 3 defenders. 1 spies on Carr and the other 2 commit to stopping DD on the underneath stuff. All this is obviously on pass plays with 3 WR, 1 TE and 1 RB. The reason for this is because the front 4 for the opposing D can usually get past our line within 1.5/2 sec. It takes 3 to 4 seconds for a play to fully develope.

What I'm trying to say is that noone on our team scares opposing defenses. AJ and DD are scary but they'll keep DD in front of them and AJ is the only one who garners double coverage on obvious pass plays.

:redtowel: No matter who you draft ... there are no guarantees . You could trade the 1st pick for 5 picks and of those 2 become players . You can't assume a OL in the 2nd round will be a player .

The best way to help the OL is to hire a top knotch coach . Then infuse some young talent .

xtruroyaltyx said:

Denver traded away Portis because they have proven that they can produce a 1000 yard rusher out of just about any RB in their offensive system, as they have had I think 5 different 1000 yard rushers in the last 8 years, and they still had one left on the team (Mike Anderson) when they made the trade. Portis was at the end of his rookie contract and not getting paid very much at all so it didn't cost them much of anything to trade him, and they got the best shut-down CB in the NFL in return, a position that had been a huge weakness for their team.

xtruroyaltyx said:

DD is an expensive trade for the Texans to make right now. We'd have to eat an awful lot of bonus money if we traded him.

Now on the condition that I'm completely sold on Reggie Bush and we're selecting him with the first pick overall I'd be willing to entertain offers for Davis IF I hadn't just given him a big signing bonus. As things stand how I think we're looking at another season of Domanick Davis which isn't a bad thing at all really. Right now I'd be shocked if we traded Davis.

TheOgre said:
Also, comparing DD to Portis is like comparing a Honda to a Mercedes.

As is comparing Reggie Bush to Barry Sanders or Gail Sayers. I personally was pointing out why Denver made the Portis trade and how it didn't make sense for us to trade Davis off.

:twocents: When you have a season like the Texans just had it does'nt enhance you trading value .

What did the Patriots give up for Corey Dillion ? Now compare Dillion to Davis .

jerek said:
Denver could sign me tomorrow and I would rush for 1200 yards/yr in their system. Well, not really, but my point is that Denver produces great RBs by virtue of the system they run, if I am Denver I would trade a guy like Portis any day of the week for one of the very elite CBs in the league, knowing that I could take a guy like Tatum Bell or Mike Anderson or really any no-name player I wanted and make a good back out of him behind my line and my schemes.

thats because Denver has an O-line and a TE. Plummer has time to throw the ball so therefore they cant leave 8 in the box or risk a rush on him

Denver actually doesn't have great pass blocking. They aren't as bad as ours is, but their pass blocking is nowhere near as good as their run blocking. When Plummer stays in the pocket he does not play as well because the pocket collapses. When they roll him out, they have more success.

appearently they know how to use what they have and we dont!!! and its not as bad as ours is or they would have the same record as us.

royce1054 said:
appearently they know how to use what they have and we dont!!! and its not as bad as ours is or they would have the same record as us.

Which is why I said that it is not as bad as ours.

I Think that we should just get Reggie and trade DD for a good LT because then we have Johnathan Wells as our FB and he did pretty well when he played that position a few weeks ago.

Reggie_2006 said:
I Think that we should just get Reggie and trade DD for a good LT because then we have Johnathan Wells as our FB and he did pretty well when he played that position a few weeks ago.

What good LT do you think we are going to get for Davis? Teams don't trade away good LTs for anyone unless they're getting a huge deal, not to mention that is an extra $7 million cap hit against us for trading off a very good RB to bring in a rookie athlete.

Again please explain the $7 million cap hit to me. I have heard that he has a $5 million signing bonus, but you say $8 million. Even if we accept your $8 million, the contract is only 4 years which mean that $2 million has already been amortized this year leaving $6 million for us to account for. And when you cut someone at June 1st you can spread the hit over two years. Our cap hit would be $3 million this year and $3 million next year if done correctly.

Back