Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

As predicted (despite KEYE's denials) KEYE showing Titans over Texans this weekend

Wonder what will happen if Young doesn't play. The whole CBS lineup is nothing but dog games.....The Texans are about the only thing to keep people from switching to FOX.

Since when does Dusty handle the programming?

Vinson left a while back, so this guy is in charge, and let me warn you, he's a dick.

I'd like to see some of the responses you get from him, as he's been telling the Titans fans that it was out of his control for the past 5 weeks.

I reckon the titan vs Phins game would be a bit more intriguing than a Texans Rams game to most networks outside of Houston.

*I understand y'all have been getting boned for quite some time now, I'm just making an observation.

Vinson left a while back, so this guy is in charge, and let me warn you, he's a dick.

I'd like to see some of the responses you get from him, as he's been telling the Titans fans that it was out of his control for the past 5 weeks.

Yep, he told me the same thing several times.

This is a CLEAR indication that he's either grossly misinformed or just lying, because - here's the key - the TEN/MIA game is NOT the "AFC Game of the Week" this week. (While Dusty has been far less friendly than Gary Vinson was - I don't think he's lying. I just think he was oblivious.)

If they had switched to the national game of the week, it would make more sense - but this is a clear switch by advisement of the local affiliate.

It's Ricky Williams vs Vince Young or an underachieving Texans team vs the worst team in the NFL.

Is this really a surprise?

I reckon the titan vs Phins game would be a bit more intriguing than a Texans Rams game to most networks outside of Houston.

*I understand y'all have been getting boned for quite some time now, I'm just making an observation.

You have to kind of understand the entire history of this "conflict" for it to make sense. It's not as simple as which game is most intriguing.

This is a CLEAR indication that he's either grossly misinformed or just lying, because - here's the key - the TEN/MIA game is NOT the "AFC Game of the Week" this week. (While Dusty has been far less friendly than Gary Vinson was - I don't think he's lying. I just think he was oblivious.)

He knows what's going on, it's called "passing the buck".

qq1sgPassingTheBuck.jpg

It's Ricky Williams vs Vince Young or an underachieving Texans team vs the worst team in the NFL.

Is this really a surprise?

Not a surprise at all. I said this would happen after the MNF loss to Tennessee. The thing that I'm waiting to hear is the explanation of two things:

1 - KEYE committed to showing all Texans games available on CBS this year (irrelevant that the previous program guy is gone now - it was a promise made without "as long as I work here" attached to it).

2 - The new programming guy has repeatedly said that the decisions on which games to show are made by the "home office" and have nothing at all to do with what the local affiliates want and can't be influenced by viewers.

I told the guy personally that I know that #2 is a complete load of crap, but he came back at me with all this junk about how things changed when the station was sold - which was also BS, because they changed SEVERAL games after the station was sold.

So, I'm just waiting for an explanation. I don't expect them to change the game or anything like that - I guess I just want to hear them say I'm right and they're wrong, and that I know how their business works better than they do. It is my field of study, so it's not out of a place of ignorance.

Anyway. I'm leaving Austin soon anyway, so it won't matter next season.

Dusty is my old boss. He's actually a pretty great person. For the record. He used to be the head of the production department which is basically the technical side of the TV station. He's a very smart, cynical but fair guy. I could definitely see him coming off as a dick.

We used to butt heads constantly. I used to fight every rule at the station. And he would fight me to the death on the semantics of the literal translations and interpretations of the rules that the station had implemented. He's an old hippie with good values and a subtly fun nature.

I remember being sent home one time because I had holes in my jeans. I returned with these obnoxious patches all over them 2 hours later and I remember him smiling at me like "you son of a *****, you found a loophole."

Not that that has much if any value to you guys but if nothing else it gives some insight into the guy that you're going to be hating for a while.

oh... and he's a HUGE longhorn fan if I remember correctly.

I'm a huge Longhorn fan too.

KEYE needs to do what is best for KEYE, and I have no problem with that. I understand the business of TV and how all that stuff works. I want them to show the Texans, but I HONESTLY have no problem with them showing whatever game they want - as long as they're upfront and truthful about it and that's just not what's happening now or in the past.

I just don't like being told one thing when the truth is obviously another thing. I'm sure he's a great guy - the previous guy Gary was a great guy too - but he was also straightforward with his explanations and if he gave the wrong info, he always apologized for it and explained what happened.

I have been there a few times with some friends and we pay more for their beer and food there then any other sports bar that I have ever been to. When I go there I just get one beer while my friends eat it up and booze.

Yeah, I agree. I love Pluckers, but it's way too expensive.

I have been there a few times with some friends and we pay more for their beer and food there then any other sports bar that I have ever been to. When I go there I just get one beer while my friends eat it up and booze.

Yeah, I agree. I love Pluckers, but it's way too expensive.

I guess maybe on Sundays because the beer is full price, but the have a lot of shot specials on Sundays too. The other days of the week they have some pretty good deals. I always get a free 5 PC wings with those cards they give out so I save bucks that way and you can catch good deals at other times. I don't go to may bars so I am not sure how the pricing compares, but the other places I have been in RR it's about the same.

Last edited:
I guess maybe on Sundays because the beer if full price, but the have a lot of shot specials on Sundays too. The other days of the week they have some pretty good deals. I always get a free 5 PC wings with those cards they give out so I save bucks that way and you can catch good deals at other times. I don't go to may bars so I am not sure how the pricing compares, but the other places I have been in RR it's about the same.

That's right. They're all pretty much the same... overpriced.

I'm a huge Longhorn fan too.

KEYE needs to do what is best for KEYE, and I have no problem with that. I understand the business of TV and how all that stuff works. I want them to show the Texans, but I HONESTLY have no problem with them showing whatever game they want - as long as they're upfront and truthful about it and that's just not what's happening now or in the past.

I just don't like being told one thing when the truth is obviously another thing. I'm sure he's a great guy - the previous guy Gary was a great guy too - but he was also straightforward with his explanations and if he gave the wrong info, he always apologized for it and explained what happened.

I can dig. I'm not making excuses. Just offering insight. I'm going to email him just for fun. Tell him I might come back to work there if he puts the Texans on. LOL That will guarantee the tacks for the rest of the season.

I worked in the TV syndication business. It is a sinking business!

You guys should give them a pass because they are having a hard enough time trying to earn profit. Furthermore, there other ways to watch the game. Or, just listen to it on the radio.

TV stations are getting creamed on a lot of their programming. When they do have good programming, they have to maximize revenue that generates the highest ratings.

Give the programming director a break. Trust me, he has enough other people climbing up in his jock and kicking his nuts around than to worry about Texan fans.

I worked in the TV syndication business. It is a sinking business!

You guys should give them a pass because they are having a hard enough time trying to earn profit. Furthermore, there other ways to watch the game. Or, just listen to it on the radio.

TV stations are getting creamed on a lot of their programming. When they do have good programming, they have to maximize revenue that generates the highest ratings.

Give the programming director a break. Trust me, he has enough other people climbing up in his jock and kicking his nuts around than to worry about Texan fans.

:thinking: Nah.

We all have our little battles to fight and I'm sorry, KEYE is one of mine. My support for the Texans outweighs my concern for his good mood at work.

I'm pretty sure that both sides would leave him alone if he'd just admit that he's showing the team that draws the higher ratings.

Some ratings #s would help as well.

Just got off the phone with Amy Villarreal, station president for KEYE...Says "nothing she can do this close to game time"...She said they decided to go with this game due to Playoff considerations....
I told her that the Texans had just as much of a chance at playoffs as those two teams...She agreed but stuck to her decision saying it was more for the viewing public and not Texans fans! I gave her the normal "you represent Texas and the Texans, and we want to watch the local team not teams thousands of miles away..."
Oh well, Guess I'll be out watching the game!
Anyone south or west wanna hook up?
:fans:

Just got off the phone with Amy Villarreal, station president for KEYE...Says "nothing she can do this close to game time"...She said they decided to go with this game due to Playoff considerations....
I told her that the Texans had just as much of a chance at playoffs as those two teams...She agreed but stuck to her decision saying it was more for the viewing public and not Texans fans! I gave her the normal "you represent Texas and the Texans, and we want to watch the local team not teams thousands of miles away..."

This info needs to be passed on to the Texans.

Guess where Amy went to college.

Sounds like we have several "experts" in this thread who have worked in the industry (self-included).

I just don't get why it's so hard to understand that it's not taking the Texans off that pisses me off - it's the misinformation.

KEYE is under no obligation to reveal their programming strategies - but they do. When they do, and I ask for clarification - I'm given misinformation that I already know is not true, yet I'm given it anyway. Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining.

I'm not some clueless housewife complaining that my soaps are off the air. I know the business, I've worked in the business, and I gave the guy a chance to explain the situation. He didn't have to, and I was VERY nice, composed, and fair with my emails. In turn, he was curt and kind of cold - which I'm totally fine with - because he also answered my questions... but I knew it was BS when he was telling me.

If you're going to lie to me, just don't even bother replying to the email.

If you've been wrong, and the rules have changed - just say so.

This isn't rocket science.

University of Miami?? :truck:

Lol. :spin:

What is getting DieHard is the same thing that is getting me and probably a lot of us here in LaLa East. If you are told something you know to be wrong combined with the condescending manner with which you are being told it's very irritating.

See, now hat's just a flat-out lie. Plus it further confirms that they have control and can change the games at will (but that was already obvious because they changed it to TEN/MIA and not the CBS game of the week).

At least this time around, Dusty is taking the "just don't even reply" approach. In the past, he's always returned my emails within hours.

I know we got FOX to change it this close to game time!!! I seem to remember Gary changing it last year...Amy said "NO they did not do that" and she has been there for 4 years now...
She gave me a consolation of saying that they ARE showing the last two games...I guess Fox has the tacks coverage

I know we got FOX to change it this close to game time!!! I seem to remember Gary changing it last year...Amy said "NO they did not do that" and she has been there for 4 years now...
She gave me a consolation of saying that they ARE showing the last two games...I guess Fox has the tacks coverage

Yet another flat-out lie.

I guess maybe on Sundays because the beer is full price, but the have a lot of shot specials on Sundays too. The other days of the week they have some pretty good deals. I always get a free 5 PC wings with those cards they give out so I save bucks that way and you can catch good deals at other times. I don't go to may bars so I am not sure how the pricing compares, but the other places I have been in RR it's about the same.

That's where I'll be. Love those 5 wing cards...they come in handy for that prenoon cereza. Don't know about high prices, it's the same every week. :fingergun:

TOTAL BS!
Here is contact info:

10700 Metric Blvd.
Austin, TX 78758
Main Phone: 512-835-0042
News Hotline: 512-835-0335 or 1-800-5-NEWS-42
Main Fax: 512-837-6753
News Fax: 512-490-2111

:thinking: Nah.

We all have our little battles to fight and I'm sorry, KEYE is one of mine. My support for the Texans outweighs my concern for his good mood at work.

I have seen a fair share of people cut because of poor decision making and a changing business model in the TV business.

Ratings are tough to come by and NFL games are their clear winners.

Go fight your battle. But understand what the other side is having to go through to maintain their jobs and having to let people go in the process.

Worrying about complaining Texan fans is probably not high on their list.

so where are the south or west austin texans fans meeting?
i'm so tired of being treated like a second class citizen because i cheer for the texans! i rather the jerks at keye tell the truth that they only showed the texans because the titans were playing awful i could stomach that better than there's nothing we can do this close to game time POPPYCOCK!!!

Back