Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Are you happy with our picks so far?

FIRE CASSERLY!

• Great draft! Looking forward to more Cass picks!

Votes: 70 53.4%
  • It's been an OK draft. Could of been better...

Votes: 37 28.2%
  • What the hell is Casserly thinking? FIRE HIM ASAP!

Votes: 24 18.3%

• Total voters

Texans34Life

I BLEED TEXANS!
1st Round - Mario Williams
2nd Round - DeMeco Ryans
3rd Round - Charles Spencer and Eric Winston

We passed up on Reggie Bush for the #1 pick.

In the 2nd Round, we passed up on:

Chad Jackson
Jimmy Williams
Winston Justice
Taitusi 'Deuce' Lutui
Joe Klopfenstein
Cedric Griffin

In the 3rd Round so far, we passed up on:

Ashton Youboty and Leonard Pope.

So far, the only pick that made some sense is Eric Winston. Mario is a great pick, but we could of picked a good DE in the later rounds.

I want Casserly's head on a platter. :challenge

What is wrong with you? Demeco Ryans is a great football player. I saw him make 25 tackles in one game when he was a sophomore. Eric Winston was projected by many to go in first round. I wanted Reggie, but Mario was top rated defensive player in draft.

very happy. Great value at all picks. Every pick addresses a real need.

Incidentally.. in every round we also passed on:

Jerry Smith
Bob Wilson
John Doe
Horatio Aguilera
your neighbor sam
Fluffy the wonder pooch
George W. Bush
Grandma Jenkins

My list of missed prospects are about as proven as your list. Come back in a few years when we actually know who was a good pick and who wasnt. Even then, we drafted the players rated highest on our board.. and hindsight is 20/20.. so i guess ya dont need to bother coming back in 3 years either.

Mailman04 said:
What is wrong with you? Demeco Ryans is a great football player. I saw him make 25 tackles in one game when he was a sophomore. Eric Winston was projected by many to go in first round. I wanted Reggie, but Mario was top rated defensive player in draft.

Did we need to focus on defense right off the bat, or fix our offense? Demeco might be a great player, but we need more help w/ our offense than our defense. Eric Winston was a good pick, I'm not arguing that. Mario is a great defensive player, but we need offense more than defense.

I disagree with that.. look around on this forum.. there have been alot of good points in regards to our needs on offense vs. our needs on defense.

One of my favorites was by a new poster who pointed out that our offense had the same amount of touchdowns in 2005 as they did in 2004.. but our defense gave up twice as many touchdowns.

Texans34Life said:
2nd Round - DeMeco Ryans

Chad Jackson
Jimmy Williams
Winston Justice
Taitusi 'Deuce' Lutui
Joe Klopfenstein
Cedric Griffin

So far, the only pick that made some sense is Eric Winston. Mario is a great pick, but we could of picked a good DE in the later rounds.

Oh my god... go to another board.. shut up... We have 4 good players that fill NEED. I am tired of hearing about how bad of a job they did when you have no freakin clue and you will be a wagon jumper if theses folks are awesome.

After the haze of not taking Bush.....All in all it has been great,we actually addressed needs and got very good prospects at those positions.
Williams The best DL in the Draft
Ryans LB An impact, smart player
Spencer OG Some had as a first Rd or early second got in 3rd
Winston OT Most of us wanted him in 2nd got him in 3rd
So far so good

1. Mario Williams gets a B (should have traded down and tried to get him and if not Tamba Hali has been looking GREAT)
2. Ryans gets a D- (made no sense at this time to draft a guy in this position espicially with other players out there)
3. Spencer gets a B+ (Good pick, this guy looked great at the Senior Bowl, but does he fit our blocking system)?
4. Winston gets a D-, horrible). (Knee injury, converted Te, got EMBARASSED at the Senior Bowl)

So I give us a C- to a C

Who we passed

Daniel Bullocks (Safety)
Thomas Howard (OLB)
Jimmy Williams (CB)

very happy-spencer is my least favourite and he's solid so i cant complain. obviously, like every1 else, i had my own favourites that weren't picked but i think we helped ourselves a good bit...

Also i think the staff deserve alot of credit for sticking put at the top of the 3rd- it would've been easy to trade away a 3rd and a 4th to move up to mid 2nd to grab winston. now we're very well off and look like we'll get a decent player at the top of the 4th

Grid said:
I disagree with that.. look around on this forum.. there have been alot of good points in regards to our needs on offense vs. our needs on defense.

One of my favorites was by a new poster who pointed out that our offense had the same amount of touchdowns in 2005 as they did in 2004.. but our defense gave up twice as many touchdowns.

Look at what the other teams in our Dvision drafted. We shall see.

Originally Posted by Dime

my god... go to another board.. shut up... We have 4 good players that fill NEED. I am tired of hearing about how bad of a job they did when you have no freakin clue and you will be a wagon jumper if theses folks are awesome.

Have you seen our previous draft picks? How many have been "awesome"? Give me a break....

Do we needed another DE? You don't have faith in Anthony Weaver, N.D. Kalu, Antwan Peek, and Jason Babin ?

Are you not happy w/ the LBs we already have - Shantee Orr, Morlon Greenwood, and Sam Cowart?

I already said I'm happy with the Eric Winston pick. I don't know anything about Charles Spencer, but here's an indepth look at him:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/spencer_charles

Texans34Life said:
Did we need to focus on defense right off the bat, or fix our offense? Demeco might be a great player, but we need more help w/ our offense than our defense. Eric Winston was a good pick, I'm not arguing that. Mario is a great defensive player, but we need offense more than defense.

I don't know about all that.... We have two probowl recievers, another who is faster than Reggie Bush. We have a WR converted to TE. and we have a true fullback, and a productive running back on a bad team. If Kubiak can keep us as aggresive as Cincinatti, or INdy, I think we can hang with them, especially if we can shake up Peyton and Carson.

I was a little disappointed with our second pick, but when we got Winston anyway, I calmed way down. I actually thought we needed a dynamic LB more than we needed a DE, but I wouldn't have taken one with the #1 overall. Mario was a much better use of that pick.

I'm thrilled so far...... honestly.

Grid said:
very happy. Great value at all picks. Every pick addresses a real need.

Incidentally.. in every round we also passed on:

Jerry Smith
Bob Wilson
John Doe
Horatio Aguilera
your neighbor sam
Fluffy the wonder pooch
George W. Bush
Grandma Jenkins

My list of missed prospects are about as proven as your list. Come back in a few years when we actually know who was a good pick and who wasnt. Even then, we drafted the players rated highest on our board.. and hindsight is 20/20.. so i guess ya dont need to bother coming back in 3 years either.
GW? have you seen Loose Change? :spy:

I think we have improved our team by 100 % ... But so have the Titans.

three years from now Houston and the flaming meatballs will have some great games. let's just hope our D is top flight to stop them. speak your mind.http://gridironfans.com/portal.php

we're a whole new team..tomorrow we will work on some db help and maybe a T.E..

Texans34Life said:
no we dont last year like int the last six games our defense broke down when we were up at least 10+ points and the other team ended up winning

I agree Defense needed some hugh help. The offense is going to be better with a few addons we got through free agency and plus our coaching alone should help out some. We got rid of WR's that couldnt catch a cold. The offensive scheme is going to help also. The players we have on defense I think will be better for a 4-3 instead of the 3-4. I cant wait to see our youngsters on the D Line get after it this year. If last years LB's are backups for this year even better. The front 7 look to be pretty good with some depth at both DL and LB. A secondary is only as good as its front 7. I am felling like today's team is better then yesterdays team and is going in the right direction and its been awhile. Now they get to relax and look for the best available player overnight. I think thats going to be yet another addon to the mix.

kaloo said:
no we dont last year like int the last six games our defense broke down when we were up at least 10+ points and the other team ended up winning
I agree totally with the defense breaking down quite a bit and the other teams won those six games in last part of the season. Imagine if the scenario was a much improved defense and we held those games by 10 points or more that equals six wins. I believe that was much part of the Texan formula to beef up the defense first. 15 of the 20 top draft selections were defensive players picked by 20 teams. It's a lookin good to me...and to think of more picks tomorrow and then there's next year. Add this to the FA preseason picks, vets, and new coaching staff

Texans34Life said:
2nd Round - DeMeco Ryans

Chad Jackson
Jimmy Williams
Winston Justice
Taitusi 'Deuce' Lutui
Joe Klopfenstein
Cedric Griffin

I am not angry and like the quality people and picks by position but don't like who we passed on. Can I have two votes and say it has been good but I want Cass' head on a platter?:)

Texans34Life said:
we need offense more than defense.

Considering our new coach is known for his offensive capabilities, and considering our defense was ranked worse than our offense last year, I'd say the opposite is true.

Dime said:
Oh my god... go to another board.. shut up... We have 4 good players that fill NEED. I am tired of hearing about how bad of a job they did when you have no freakin clue and you will be a wagon jumper if theses folks are awesome.

Chad Jackson is probably the best receiver in the draft. That guy is the truth ...speed, height, and hands like glue. We'll regret not taking him I'm sure. And we definitely have a need for a speedy WR. Eric Moulds is not gonna be around long plus he's slow. I like Moulds but we needed Jackson.

i tell you what the best pick of the day for us might have been the one none of us saw coming...charles spencer guard from pitt...this is a man...6'5'' 352lbs...30reps of 225...5.28 40...the reason i think this is best pick up so far is david carr now has a personal body guard against marcus stroud and john henderson...this guy is big enough to stand up to them and not get pushed around...he can take on one of them and let pitts and flanagan double team the other...yes that means i believe the texans should bench steve mckinney for those two games each year till spencer is ready to be the full time starter...also eric winston gives us some serious quality depth at tackle...something we haven't had period...demaco ryans is going to be a solid OLB for us for years to come and of course mario williams "super beast" the super freak of the draft...i can't wait to see him pick up ole payton manning and slam him to the turf...in 2006 it's on!!!!

Texans34Life said:
[/i]

Have you seen our previous draft picks? How many have been "awesome"? Give me a break....

Do we needed another DE? You don't have faith in Anthony Weaver, N.D. Kalu, Antwan Peek, and Jason Babin ?

Are you not happy w/ the LBs we already have - Shantee Orr, Morlon Greenwood, and Sam Cowart?

I already said I'm happy with the Eric Winston pick. I don't know anything about Charles Spencer, but here's an indepth look at him:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/spencer_charles

Of course, most of us are happy with Shantee Orr, Greenwood didn't impress me much last year and Sam Cowart is getting old. You left out Wong, who hopefully will be fully recovered and playing for us at some point in the season. Not to mention, this gives us another youth in our LB corps who can play ANY postition IMO, and could be stable player for us in the years to come.

texplayer2 said:
Look at what the other teams in our Dvision drafted. We shall see.

What? You mean the QB that won't play this year?

Or perhaps you meant "Cheeseburger" White, Marcedes Lewis and Joseph Addai ... which is why we picked up a flexible linebacker in DeMeco Ryans.

I'm fairly certain you're not referencing the two no-name Colts defense picks, or the Jags two reaches for a kick returner and what their own website describes as someone "who represented the end of the line for linebackers in this year’s draft"

Maybe it was the other AFC South picks you're worried about ... oh, wait ... the only other AFC South picks were made by the Texans!

I thought we did better than usual today. I don't agree with passing reggie bush, but the other picks were great I thought. The only other guy I wanted the Texans to draft was Justice, the OT from USC.

Brandon420tx said:
You left out Wong, who hopefully will be fully recovered and playing for us at some point in the season. Not to mention, this gives us another youth in our LB corps who can play ANY postition IMO, and could be stable player for us in the years to come.

I was looking off of Yahoo's depth chart and it didn't have him listed.

Texans34Life said:
I was looking off of Yahoo's depth chart and it didn't have him listed.

Really? I don't remember where I heard he was still in recovery but expected to come back ... oh well, I hope we do get him back.

I'm Freakin' thrilled!!!

4 picks so far and all 4 have addressed the defensive/offensive front lines! looks like we're going to be playing some football this year and years to come!

Goldeagle said:
1. Mario Williams gets a B (should have traded down and tried to get him and if not Tamba Hali has been looking GREAT)
2. Ryans gets a D- (made no sense at this time to draft a guy in this position espicially with other players out there)
3. Spencer gets a B+ (Good pick, this guy looked great at the Senior Bowl, but does he fit our blocking system)?
4. Winston gets a D-, horrible). (Knee injury, converted Te, got EMBARASSED at the Senior Bowl)

So I give us a C- to a C

Who we passed

Daniel Bullocks (Safety)
Thomas Howard (OLB)
Jimmy Williams (CB)

I'm not going to be this harsh. I'm worried about Mario and Winston. As I've been drumming all off season both have warts. Look it up. Mario has the physique to be a manster. However, every time he opens his mouth, every con-artis and flim flam man who hears him speak starts to drool. . The phrase looks like tarzan plays like jane keeps running through my mind. They can't just sign this guy and throw him to the wolves. Somebody on the team (read team mates) better step up and get the guy off to a good start. As far as Winston is concerned, I had a big problem with him @ the 33. I have no doubt he was gaurding that knee. TBS, as a third rounder, we got great vaule with a BPA who fills a need. Hopefully, we strike it rich with him and he anchors our line for the next ten years. Rather have Brick. But I truely understand and except the direction we went.
I'm very proud of the organization for building a foundation for the front seven and not folding like a Wall mart suit to pressure. I hope I'm dead wrong about Mario. I hope he is very coachable and excepts that in the NFL physique alone will not get you by. You guys will get to ridicule my foolish notion for the next ten. It just stuns me that we're just now getting around to addressing the O-line with day one tallent. Ok they're projects but at least we're moving in the right direction. I can live with that.
And yes it would of been sweet to get the Jets to bite and make a move. Have a bushel of picks and dominate the second and third rounds.But we got NO offers. None. We didn't decide Reggie wasn't worth 3000 points. The rest of the NFL decided that. I think we did prety well. You can't have 'em all.

B .

I was very upset when we passed on Justice (especially), Winston, and Jimmy Williams (cb) with our 33rd pick. This team has a history also of taking too many LBs when they don't need them.

After that, I was so frastrated I just gave up and took a looooong break, but now I see that Winston fell all the way to our 65th and 66th picks, which I find unbelievable. We got a great guard (although he may not fit our system :brickwall ) and took Winston with 66. Wow, that makes up for a lot of frustration.

But, we could've had Jimmy Williams (cb) with that pick #33, and that's what still perturbs me. All things considered, I don't see how in the world the Houston Texans right now can pass on Jimmy Williams for DeMeco Ryans. :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall

All in all, we did OK, but we could've done better and it sure isn't the first time.

You know who did well? Pittsburgh, Dallas, Carolina, Jets etc.--the teams who already win. They knew what they were doing. The rich get richer and it's becoming painfully obvious that it's just because they are smarter.

I'm happy so far ...but with the #98 we have two safetys siting there...Bing and Ko Simpson. just do it !:drool:

I think we went with the right picks. We have an inexperienced defensive coordinator, so we give him some chess peices to play with our 1st and 2nd round picks.

Everybody know we have Oline problems, who better to evaluate Olinemans than Kubiak and SHerman??

We could of drafted offensive players in the 1st and second and ended up with Reggie Bush and Winston Justice, but Kubiak and Sherman are confident they can make the offense at least competent with what they have.

We also drafted in the trenches which is always good at the same time filling in needs with every pick. If we draft Ko Simpson tomorrow, we potentially can have 5 starters by years end. 5:yahoo:

How do I feel about the draft picks so far?

- Mario Williams - Will go down in history as one of the worst picks ever. The rest of the country is laughing at us. I don't like it.

- Demeco Ryans - After thinking about it, I like the pick. I would've taken O-line, but if he pans out, no complaints here. I said in the other thread, but I like the fact that he's a productive player instead of just a workout warrior.

- Charles Spencer - Have no idea. I approve of drafting a guard... or... tackle, or whatever he is. We need the position, and apparently he's of good value.

- Eric Winston - Best pick of the night. It's fantastic that he basically fell a full round further than he was supposed to. We got lucky that he was still there though. I don't think this was by design.

Tomorrow, we should draft Ko Simpson.

HJam72 said:
I was very upset when we passed on Justice (especially), Winston, and Jimmy Williams (cb) with our 33rd pick. This team has a history also of taking too many LBs when they don't need them.

After that, I was so frastrated I just gave up and took a looooong break, but now I see that Winston fell all the way to our 65th and 66th picks, which I find unbelievable. We got a great guard (although he may not fit our system :brickwall ) and took Winston with 66. Wow, that makes up for a lot of frustration.

But, we could've had Jimmy Williams (cb) with that pick #33, and that's what still perturbs me. All things considered, I don't see how in the world the Houston Texans right now can pass on Jimmy Williams for DeMeco Ryans. :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall

All in all, we did OK, but we could've done better and it sure isn't the first time.

You know who did well? Pittsburgh, Dallas, Carolina, Jets etc.--the teams who already win. They knew what they were doing. The rich get richer and it's becoming painfully obvious that it's just because they are smarter.

Add "the wolf" to that. My new name for him. Bill Belichick is a stinking genius.
How the guy can float around at the bottom of the draft every year and cherry pick players is amazing to me. What ever they are paying him, it ain't enough.

Like what Tuna is doing also. Got LT now he's picked up Banks. Grabbed a great TE.

We always here that you win championships on defense. While that has some merit, I think you win championships in the trenches. I'm glad we avoided the Colts Syndrome (having a disportionate amount of cap invested in skill positions) and focused on upgrading our O-line and front seven today instead.

I agree that most of these picks are that of GK and i really can't complain about who he has chosen. As far as Cb's are concerned, there really isn't worth a 4th round selection. And I hear that everyone wants K. Simpson but I think the player with the most upside is going to be (ILB) Leon Williams from Miami. It's either going to Simpson or Williams.

This draft has been amazing. Mario is amazing, he's the best player for this team and I'm amazed that we now have people running our team that have the cajones to take someone like him when they believe he is the best pick, Capers group surely would have taken the easy way out with Reggie (not saying Reggie isn't great because he is, but not the best for our team). I like DeMeco Ryans, I probably would have preferred Roger McIntosh or maybe even Jimmy Williams or Daniel Bullocks (I think DB was a bigger need for us), but Ryans is still definitely a high-quality player and should compete for a starting spot, hopefully we can find someone on our roster that fits at MLB. Winston and Spencer were awesome. The fact that both of them fell to us and we pulled the trigger on both that quickly made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Our team may not be in the playoffs this coming season, but I expect drastic improvements and it is clearly obvious that we are moving in the right direction and have competent people leading our team now. I for one can't wait for September.

I don't think we should have passed on reggie much like any person with any common sense in the free world, however, mario williams will be a solid lineman.

I was really happy with Ryans. We don't have a stand-out leader and linebacker but now I just think we drafted one. He is a smart, hard-hitting, and balls-to-the-wall linebacker. I think that he is one of the better linebackers in the draft, but his stock dropped bc of his combine numbers. Who cares about those, look at his production on the field and it was outstanding, good job Texans.

I hear ppl say we need Jimmy Williams. No we don't. He would play two games for us before he got arressted. Would it hurt to have another solid DB to compliment Duante? No, but we don't need someone like Jimmy Williams.

Good pics in the third to address our biggest problem, O-Line. Kubiak is a offensive guru who made so-so backs look like all-stars. We signed Flanigan and if he comes back from his injury back to his pro-bowl form with our two pics and Kubiak's coaching, I think Carr will finally have time to throw the ball.

Good draft Texans, but it would have been a GREAT draft with Bush.

BTW-We DO need to get a better GM though.

It's obvious that we didn/t make the "sexy" picks of this draft. However I honestly feel that its going to take a couple of years to rate this draft. We definitely addressed need. I think if you look at the big picture we are trying to build towards being a "Pittsburgh" or "New England". We are setting the foundation for a strong defense and a solid O line. IMO thats how franchises are built.

Were there players available who could have impacted our win loss record faster than the ones we drafted? I would have to say "yes". However, I still think that with patience we have actually set the foundation for a solid/strong team. Will we see that team next year? No. Yet again looking at the big picture.... I like this draft more and more.

this is without question one of our best draft. we get the final piece to our d line, 2 HUGE (pun intended) pieces to the o line and a balls to the wall OLB. the battle will be won in teh trenches my friends. if houston gets ko simpson with the first pick tomorrow (or demario minter) our defense will be awesome. great draft houston, i am very pleased.

Texans34Life said:

which we addressed with moulds, winston and spencer. all will help.

Casserly is gone after draft.....Kubiak has final say on picks. Glad we didn't get cute and try to move up in 1st....losing a 3rd and/or 4th would have been painful.

Tha_Tinman said:
Chad Jackson is probably the best receiver in the draft. That guy is the truth ...speed, height, and hands like glue. We'll regret not taking him I'm sure. And we definitely have a need for a speedy WR. Eric Moulds is not gonna be around long plus he's slow. I like Moulds but we needed Jackson.

If we get lucky , maybe we get D. Williams today...If not, in 2007, there are some stud WRs coming out.

This has been a great draft so far! All of our first day picks are potentially starters this year and we still have our 4, 6, 7 round picks to go. Can't wait for the season to start!:redtowel:

Texans34Life said:

I guess you are not too happy with the poll results? :texflag:

I am thrilled with Demeco Ryans, i thought he was a for sure 1st rounder. Mario was a bit of a lettdown at first, then i remembered his combine, college stats, etc. Then in the 3rd round, We draft 2 OL. Winston i like(thought he would not be there) but the guard i dont know about.

HJam72 said:
I can understand passing on Justice........ it should be obvious by know, Bob ain't play'n when he talks about character guys...... if you haven't bought into that, then you may be on the wrong team. I think a bit of Genius(or simply they're better at working the draft than most all o us) was revealed, when we ended up getting Winston anyway......
And I think we'll be passing on CBs all day long. we have 2 1st round corners on our squad right now...... Remember, since Casserly is still on the payroll, we've got to re-grade our talent. PBuch won't tackle...... so what, he's a corner. If our front 7 can do there job, Buchanon, shouldn't have to. He should just sit back there, and pick those passes that are thrown early, (rushed, or slightly off target), out of the air, return a few for scores......

LineBackers........... if only quantity of LBs would help us pressure the QB.... you know if we can get 6 of those guys on the filed..... but I think we'd get penalized for having that many guys on the field at a time.
HJam72 said:

Those "winning" teams appear to have had great days..... it's much easier to see how a new player will fill a need on their teams..... we know what they are missing & what skills would make them better.

Our team..... we don't really know where our strengths are, were our weeknesses are. We don't know how these skills are going to work out together. Right now, we've got to put our faith in Kubiak. Keeping/starting Buchanon is the same(to many of us) as keeping Carr..... What did Buchanon do to become a 1st round pick?? what did he do to loose favor in Oakland?? All we can really do, is look at the value of the guy, versus where we picked them....... Mario #1 overall...... Ryans #33..... Spencer #66, Winston #67.......... I think....... we did well. Very, very well.

I like Dione..... I love Dione.... and a big knock on him, was that he wouldn't tackle.... which was true for the most part of his career, and he was the best corner in the league for several of those years....... Mainly because the defense was designed to take advantage of the players strengths, and minimize their weaknesses.
I don't know, if we do not pick up a new corner(I think not), but if we do, we have to trust Kubiak........ he's clearly running this show.

Back