Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Are CJ Stroud doubters converted or are there still doubters left?

How do you feel about Stroud now?

• I was skeptical and am still skeptical

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I was skeptical and now believe we have our franchise QB

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • I was optimistic and now believe we have our franchise QB

Votes: 44 62.9%

• Total voters

LikeMike

Veteran
This is supposed to be a "ha ha, you were wrong" thread. It is extremely difficult to evaluate a QB and predict his success in the NFL. There were stuff like the S2 test and some lows before the Georgia game. So this isn't supposed to make anyone feel bad for the way they expected him to play. I am genuinely curious. With Watson there were doubters from start to the ugly end. Probably rightfully so, but he was probably considered a top 10 QB by the vast majority of the media, and probably top 5 for a lot of them at some time.

Now with Stroud there were many reasons to be skeptical. And it's not like he can't fall of a cliff anytime soon or fizzle out - there are the Kyler Murrays, the Mac Joneses or even the Justin Herberts (who is a great QB and I still expect some great things of him, but his team and his performance seems to have plateaued). So are there still people left that don't believe Stroud is our franchise QB?

I don't know that doubters/believers is how this works. Plenty of people are doubters until it's a given and believers fall off the wagon quickly enough when a QB's play starts to circle the drain. Right now we're enjoying one of the best, brightest beginnings I've seen in a Houston football players career I've ever seen. I'm not even exaggerating when I say that I haven't seen an Oiler/Texan hit the ground running this fast since maybe even Earl Campbell. Andre Johnson and JJ Watt didn't hit the ground running this fast. Think about that. Watson spent all that time kicking dirt on the bench behind Tom Savage. Whether it was a coach or just the learning curve this kind of thing just doesn't happen normally. Right now I'm a believer. Seeing is believing. I'm going to need to get to the end of the season before I am ready to decide just how great he is.

I’m going to go off script just a little because the original post touched on something I have been thinking about in regards to Stroud.

It’s not that I am a Stroud doubter or skeptic. I keep asking myself how long Houston sports fans get to have something this nice?

QBs listed above all took the league by storm in their rookie years and now people write them off. Did Mac Jones forget how to play quarterback or Herbert or Murray? Or is something else the problem?

Don’t get me wrong I love what is happening and I look forward to watching football on Sundays again. I’m just wondering how long it is going to last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m going to go off script just a little because the original post touched on something I have been thinking about in regards to Stroud.

It’s not that I am a Stroud doubter or skeptic. I keep asking myself how long Houston sports fans get to have something this nice?

QBs listed above all took the league by storm in their rookie years and now people write them off. Did Mac Jones forget how to play quarterback or Herbert or Murray? Or is something else the problem?

Don’t get me wrong I love what is happening and I look forward to watching football on Sundays again. I’m just wondering how long it is going to last.

Murray's game IMO isn't sustainable and you already know how he feels about studying the game. Jones was never and will never be the talent Stroud is. The best comp is Herbert whose game and size is similiar and sustainable and he's also a study guy. Nothing we've seen of Stroud on or off the field should worry anyone beyond injury and leaving in FA.

Everything about this kid is fundmental and or already elite and he's an absolute freak/studynik for the game. To answer your question it'll last as long as he's here. Great QBs can hide lots of warts. I liked the pick at the time and I posted as much and got into it with posters over defending the kid before he took a snap so I'm a little invested and biased.

Murray's game IMO isn't sustainable and you already know how he feels about studying the game. Jones was never and will never be the talent Stroud is. The best comp is Herbert whose game and size is similiar and sustainable and he's also a study guy. Nothing we've seen of Stroud on or off the field should worry anyone beyond injury and leaving in FA.

Everything about this kid is fundmental and or already elite and he's an absolute freak/studynik for the game. To answer your question it'll last as long as he's here. Great QBs can hide lots of warts. I liked the pick at the time and I posted as much and got into it with posters over defending the kid before he took a snap so I'm a little invested and biased.

I’ll have to confess. I don’t follow NCAA football that close. I don’t play fantasy football or study the draft or draft prospects like many do. However, when he was picked I went to YouTube and watched tape and my reaction was, “Holy sh$$!” I know the kid is special and I don’t think my eyes are lying.

My skepticism comes from being a life long Houston sports fan. The Astros of the last 6 years have been the lone exception. Prior to that the sports history in this town has been not so good.

Everytime it seems we get something going, something happens to take it away.

I’ll not rehash everything here but Kubiak did not all of a sudden become a garbage coach. Hell, the man won a SB two years later with the exact staff he had here in Denver.

Bob McNair did not fire him because he was bad. He fired him because of his health issue and the fan base was ready to lynch him in front of of City Hall.

The problem was Kubiak’s QB was broken. I clearly remember CloakNNNdagger posting that very thing after Schaub’s injury was diagnosed saying he was done. Kubiak’s fault was he was too loyal to the guy but I digress.

I’m enjoying Sundays this season and really hope this is the birth of a long dynasty.

Last edited:
Pre-draft I thought Stroud was the right pick. This fact alone should qualify me for a GM role, so I'll be sending my resume' out. I'll print up my pre-draft post on Texans Talk as evidence, but will have to explain why Spencer Tillman is my avatar. That could be a deal killer for many.

I voted for the previously skeptical but now sold option, however I’m only 99% sold. The 1% of doubt I have will be erased when I see him with an oline not playing well. I would like to at some point see how he plays in a 4-5 game stretch where the oline is struggling and also maybe with a new play caller just to ease that last little bit of doubt

If he was 2-7, there would be detractors and those who would be saying it's too early to be making final judgements.
Now that he is lighting up the league, we should be just as fair on the opposite side of the argument.
He could fall off a cliff, but this feels different and Texans will look to build the team around him as they should - you get a guy like this in the draft, you better be looking to keep him upright and give him every chance to succeed.

Cj S2roud is surpassing everybody's expectations. Anyone saying different is lying. S2roud didn't know he would be this good.

Rookie QBs in the running for the offensive rook of the year are a dime a dozen, they happen all the time. Rookie QBs in the conversation, AT MID ******* SEASON, for the league MVP is something else again.

We know who CJ is. The only question is how consistent will CJ be CJ. And we gotta wait on that one.

Cj S2roud is surpassing everybody's expectations. Anyone saying different is lying. S2roud didn't know he would be this good.
Absolutely !
Anybody who says they knew CJ would be this good is talking BS.
Demeco and his staff seemed to have done a really good job in his early development, so hats off to them because the transition from college to the NFL is surely a complicated and challenging process especially for a rookie QB starting from the first regular season game.

I’ll have to confess. I don’t follow NCAA football that close. I don’t play fantasy football or study the draft or draft prospects like many do. However, when he was picked I went to YouTube and watched tape and my reaction was, “Holy sh$$!” I know the kid is special and I don’t think my eyes are lying.

My skepticism comes from being a life long Houston sports fan. The Astros of the last 6 years have been the lone exception. Prior to that the sports history in this town has been not so good.

Everytime it seems we get something going, something happens to take it away.

I’ll not rehash everything here but Kubiak did not all of a sudden become a garbage coach. Hell, the man won a SB two years later with the exact staff he had here in Denver.

Bob McNair did not fire him because he was bad. He fired him because of his health issue and the fan base was ready to lynch him in front of of City Hall.

The problem was Kubiak’s QB was broken. I clearly remember CloakNNNdagger posting that very thing after Schaub’s injury was diagnosed saying he was done. Kubiak’s fault was he was too loyal to the guy but I digress.

I’m enjoying Sundays this season and really hope this is the birth of a long dynasty.

Right here with ya, a lot of us are old timers and have lived that history as a HST sports fan......

The only thing holding Herbert back is his HC and much like Schaub's difficulty in the early years the defense sucks!

Just thinking how generational qbs come out the draft every 5-6 years so Mahomes being drafted in 2017 and now it’s 2023 means…

doing-the-math-thinking.gif

This happens when someone who knows what they are doing steps into the breech and fixes all the BS that had been going on - poor coaching, poor GM'ing, some dufus named Jack of all disasters. And then...like the clouds parting. We saw a vision of lovely. Someone that would take this woebegone franchise and take it from a laughingstock to the Texans having the last laugh.

All hail Hannah - the Texans goddess of winning and all that is good.

This happens when someone who knows what they are doing steps into the breech and fixes all the BS that had been going on - poor coaching, poor GM'ing, some dufus named Jack of all disasters. And then...like the clouds parting. We saw a vision of lovely. Someone that would take this woebegone franchise and take it from a laughingstock to the Texans having the last laugh.

All hail Hannah - the Texans goddess of winning and all that is good.

I’ve heard a lot innuendo and rumor and I’m not sure what to believe so maybe it’s coincidence but since she‘s stepped in the light it sure looks like she said enough of letting this org flounder and get run in the ground, “here’s our plan”…….

I am sure glad that things are going well. I am a bit concerned that people might be getting carried away with how well we are doing. I'm a little concerned that we might be flying too close to the sun and sitting ourselves up for a steep decline. I don't think it's real likely, but it is a concern. Maybe I have been a Houston sports fan for too long and just automatically expect to get kicked in the sack at some point.

I am sure glad that things are going well. I am a bit concerned that people might be getting carried away with how well we are doing. I'm a little concerned that we might be flying too close to the sun and sitting ourselves up for a steep decline. I don't think it's real likely, but it is a concern. Maybe I have been a Houston sports fan for too long and just automatically expect to get kicked in the sack at some point.
It's what we do.

Water's wet, grass is green. Texans fans get carried away when things are going well.

It's what we do.

Water's wet, grass is green. Texans fans get carried away when things are going well.
Not me.... I quit getting carried away when I believed the Texans would make an interesting game against GB years ago.

After losing that bet someone challenged me to.... I saw to ot I don't even bet on the Panthers games when the Texans are involved. Great on this side of the Panthers game... but exactly why I don't on the other side.

Last edited:
I was bouncing around a bit, thinking about Richardson and Levis. I finally settled on CJ right before the draft, and never wanted the Little guy!
Below is what I said...

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION
I'd just as soon Charlotte take Young so we can't. I'd be happy with Stroud who I think has a better upside, at least he's more the size of a prototypical QB in the NFL which gives him a a better chance, but don't leave Young on the table for us to take. And if we choose not to take Stroud...
wildroot Post #4,975 Apr 14, 2023 Forum: Texans Talk

How did he get the nickname “CJ” when his name is Coleridge Bernard?

Although CB Stroud doesn’t sound nearly as cool as CJ Stroud.

From a People.com article:
Stroud's full name is Coleridge Bernard Stroud IV, which was passed down from his great-grandfather. Per Cleveland.com, the name originated from a 19th-century Greek philosopher. Stroud hasn't shared exactly where the "J" came from or what it stands for, but he told the Big Ten Network that he's used the moniker C.J. since he was born.

This is supposed to be a "ha ha, you were wrong" thread. It is extremely difficult to evaluate a QB and predict his success in the NFL. There were stuff like the S2 test and some lows before the Georgia game. So this isn't supposed to make anyone feel bad for the way they expected him to play. I am genuinely curious. With Watson there were doubters from start to the ugly end. Probably rightfully so, but he was probably considered a top 10 QB by the vast majority of the media, and probably top 5 for a lot of them at some time.

Now with Stroud there were many reasons to be skeptical. And it's not like he can't fall of a cliff anytime soon or fizzle out - there are the Kyler Murrays, the Mac Joneses or even the Justin Herberts (who is a great QB and I still expect some great things of him, but his team and his performance seems to have plateaued). So are there still people left that don't believe Stroud is our franchise QB?
Have you not read any posts from week one to now? Either you’ve been away and just decided to pop back in here, or you’re trying to stir the pot with another “haha you were wrong” thread. Me, I was somewhat skeptical but mostly felt indifferent to C.J. being the #2 overall pick as I didn’t trust the organization. He’s been a pleasant surprise.

All I know is if you say CJ backwards, you get JC. Things that make you go "hmmm....."

Eheh, I remember that meme of JJ Watt that portrayed him as the Messiah. Someone needs to photoshop up something similar for CJ.

Stop!!! Terrible idea. We already went to through the Jesus in Cleats (JIC) debacle on this forum. Based on past observations. It's one of the quickest ways to get a fan base to turn on a player and root for him to fail and say I "told you so". Don't do that to Stroud.

Hell, give him a letterman jacket before giving him that moniker.

I didn’t watch any of Stroud aside from the Georgia game and I don’t get down in the weeds with college players and the draft but I watched his YT stuff and he had real solid fundamentals and amazing accuracy which we all know how small the windows are in the NFL so accuracy is extremely important, you either have it or you don’t. I voted he would be great on the poll but I thought he’d have more of an adjustment to the pro game but he’s shown he’s more ready then any of us thought. I was very happy when they called his name at #2.

Stop!!! Terrible idea. We already went to through the Jesus in Cleats (JIC) debacle on this forum. Based on past observations. It's one of the quickest ways to get a fan base to turn on a player and root for him to fail and say I "told you so". Don't do that to Stroud.

OK, how about "The next Michael Jordan"?

Wait... What?

Where's JIC today?

I don't believe skepticism comes in just one flavor. You can be deeply skeptical or slightly skeptical, and many degrees in between. I've seen enough NFL drafts in my day to never label a prospect "great" or "can't miss". If there had been a poll stating "mark it down, how good will Will Anderson be" I don't know if I would have answered any differently than I did in the poll about Stroud. And I was higher on Will than I was on Stroud.

One of the definitions for skeptical is - "can't be easily convinced". That's how I feel about nearly every draft pick in the NFL. You can't easily convince me anyone is going to be a better than average NFL football player before they take a snap in the NFL. Now that I've seen a healthy sample of CJ Stroud, yes, he looks like a "franchise" quarterback. Now define what a franchise quarterback is. That's always fun.

Back