Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Anything on Bush signing?

nflnutswife

Veteran
I was just wondering if anything has happened with Reggie signing a contract yet? I didn't think a player could take the practice field until that was a done deal?

The only thing new about Bush that I have seen is that it looks like the FBI is ivestigating the PR firm New Era, his family and maybe him. It seems that the IRS may also get involved for failure to pay taxes by his family on the monies given them.

The earliest Bush will sign will be around the start of training camp. It takes time for the high first round selections to agree to and sign a contract.

My call is he will miss training camp due to prolong contract negotiations.

He will probably never have this leverage again in negotiations and he needs to use it. Running backs are a commodity in the NFL.

edo783 said:
The only thing new about Bush that I have seen is that it looks like the FBI is ivestigating the PR firm New Era, his family and maybe him. It seems that the IRS may also get involved for failure to pay taxes by his family on the monies given them.

edo783, do you have a documented source to this? Just curious. I would be surprised if the IRS got involved with this.

I have a little experience with stuff like this and it seems unusual if it is true.

Vinny said:

Thanks for the link.

There is no discussion of the IRS getting involved. Even though there is a tax issue involved, it just seems too small from my experience. It's one thing to find it in the normal course of an audit and assess the tax. But the IRS really hasn't used press reports at this low dollar amount to start an investigation. Just my experience though.

I found this interesting in the the article though,

"Bush and his family so far have declined to be interviewed by NCAA and Pac-10 investigators."

Now that I think about it, maybe Bush signs early because the NCAA investigation and the FBI push against the other parties may tarnish his image with all the press. He may be better off signing for less money and not pushing the negotiations because he could loss even more leverage. Maybe the Saints get a deal?

We'll just have to wait and see.

Mario is the only 1st round pick to sign a contract so far, and I don't see Bush signing anytime soon (or the other higher picks for that matter). Segal is going to take as long as he can to get the best deal for Bush to keep his job since so many people already think he cost Reggie the #1 pick in the draft. I've heard Segal also likes to wait until the player picked before and after his get signed so he can make sure he gets a better deal than the next guy (Vince Young in this case). I would not at all be surprised to see Bush miss some of training camp, but he will have endorsement money coming in already so I'm sure he'll get by until then.

MorKnolle said:
Mario is the only 1st round pick to sign a contract so far, and I don't see Bush signing anytime soon (or the other higher picks for that matter). Segal is going to take as long as he can to get the best deal for Bush to keep his job since so many people already think he cost Reggie the #1 pick in the draft. I've heard Segal also likes to wait until the player picked before and after his get signed so he can make sure he gets a better deal than the next guy (Vince Young in this case). I would not at all be surprised to see Bush miss some of training camp, but he will have endorsement money coming in already so I'm sure he'll get by until then.

From all that has thus far been said by Bush and his agent, it is quite evident that they will wait until #3 is signed sealed and delivered. That signing will only become a bargaining tool if #3's deal is close to #1's numbers. If the #3 signing is significantly lesser in value, the Bush team will ignore it and try to get as close to Mario's deal as possible..........very possibly trying for a better deal with the argument that in the big picture, his contrbutions will be much greater. Despite this, it is highly unlikely, taking into account the fact that Bush will be losing 8% right off the top because of Louisiana state tax (Texas has none), that he will ever gain the ultimate numbers deal he is after. People in H^ll want ice water, people in New Orleans have had to recently settle for plain, sometimes dirty water.........as will Bush if his assessment of self-worth becomes too unwieldy.

Back