Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Any of you gonna admit to owing DW4 an apology?

Good news; found the deshaun episode of detail+ on reddit. Here you go

Part 1-https://streamable.com/hz5we

Part 2-https://streamable.com/9tquj

Part 3-https://streamable.com/1q1t5

Wow lots of good info there.

I hope the team looked at that. Pretty much everyone could benefit by watching it whether they know that stuff or not.

Just wondering what type of OC Manning would make if he chose to enter the NFL coaching ranks. Give him a season or two as QB Coach, if he progresses move him into an OC position. I'd be a more than a little curious to see if he would be willing to start as a QB Coach and work his way up.

Just wondering what type of OC Manning would make if he chose to enter the NFL coaching ranks. Give him a season or two as QB Coach, if he progresses move him into an OC position. I'd be a more than a little curious to see if he would be willing to start as a QB Coach and work his way up.
I wouldn’t mind the Texans bringing him in. He had a lot of useful information in those clips.

so when are we going to change the title of this thread to 'Celebrity Death Match Head Coach Edition: Gary Kubiak vs. Bill O'Brien'?
053331f829ebd7d688bb2dd0f1da686e102c57-v5-wm.jpg

And let me add that the voting was
unanimous
:D

I’m slowly getting off the Watson bandwagon. I’m not so sure he has what it takes to take this team to the next level. We have a top 5 WR and he can’t get the ball. Kinda reminds me of Andre and his lack of TDs... ala... QB problems. I mean... Watson keeps holding onto the ball. I don’t think he has the smarts if he can’t control his football ego (looking for the big play instead of getting a first down).

Reactions: JB
I’m slowly getting off the Watson bandwagon. I’m not so sure he has what it takes to take this team to the next level. We have a top 5 WR and he can’t get the ball. Kinda reminds me of Andre and his lack of TDs... ala... QB problems. I mean... Watson keeps holding onto the ball. I don’t think he has the smarts if he can’t control his football ego (looking for the big play instead of getting a first down).

This is his second year. Naturally there is plenty he still needs to learn. No need to panic at this point.

Maybe Watson should apologize to the fans for holding on to the ball too damn long. Horrible game.

I've got another observation:

Watson did hold onto the ball way to long. But I also noticed he couldn't pick up an obvious blitz if his life depended on it. The other issue I have, the OC is calling passing plays like he has 5 future HOF's on the OL and 3 HOF WR's running the 10-15 yard routes.

So, is Watson permitted to audible out of the called play when he notices an obvious blitz is coming? It's one of the other, either he can't see a blitz coming or he's not allowed to change the play.

Watson is obviously holding the ball waiting for the routes to develop or the receivers to get open. This new mess comes down to the type of plays be called and expected to executed successfully......someone on the sideline is wearing rose colored glasses. The teams OC is forcing his QB into developing horrible habits that may be tough to break later on.

Gaine needs to go shopping other teams PS's for a serviceable WR. There's no excuse for this team coming up short on personnel on game day. OL one week, WR's the next....somethings wrong with the decision making. RAC doesn't seem to have this problem but the OC is living with these problems what seems like every week.

Watson needs to see a modified playbook that features more slants, more TE's involvement, and RB's in the flat. If the OC would go up-tempo and no-huddle.....Watson would prevail in a quick-strike offense that takes what the defense is giving them. The running game has the personnel to take advantage once the defense has loosened the amount of personnel stuffed into the box.

So knee jerk reactions against O'Brien are forbidden but people will 'jump off the bandwagon' of the best QB this franchise has ever had over 1 questionable game? Lol
Yep, don’t get it. He’s basically just played a season. He has his flaws and they can he fixed but the dude is a franchise qb. No doubt in my mind.

W

Who is jumping off the bandwagon?

Like literally 4 posts above and the overall sentiment after a bad loss towards Watson is mystifying. I know it's a "what have you done lately" league but the dude is playing in his 20th NFL game with a suspect OL and a beat up WR Corp. He's going to have games where he struggles every player does, it's up to the rest of the team to slack him up.

"He is holding onto the ball too long" .. well no **** .. in equally sensational news .. water is wet.

I'm still on the Watson bandwagon, He's not the Messiah some on this MB make him out to be. He's just a young QB that's still learning the pro game. I think he's going to be a Steve Young type QB when he gets things figured out. He's got the clutch gene and has won at every level he's played at.

Get the OL fixed this offseason and you will see a much improved Watson next season. Hopefully Watson can stay healthy behind this crap OL and continue on the learning curve.

Deshaun Watson currently has a passer rating of 100.9, to compare, Tom Brady didn't get out of the mid 80s till his 4th season. Now some of that is due to the fact that Nuk has learned to summon footballs to his hands and then force them to stay there but lets give credit where its due as well. I get it, we've waited so long for a team that actually seemed to remember that they are paid to not just play but win football games that now we are ready for our Sherman's march to the super bowl but these things still take time.

This is the first season that Watson has played double digit games and he's doing it behind an OL that protect like its a game of red rosy. Give the kid a chance to actually figure all this stuff out. In theory the QB position is the most long term position because they are suppose to be so protected so its not uncommon for QBs to take a few seasons to iron out the bugs. We've just forgotten this because we've needed a spreadsheet to keep up with who our current QB is for so many seasons now.

And for those that like to see the numbers for themselves

Watson

http://www.nfl.com/player/deshaunwatson/2558063/careerstats

Brady

http://www.nfl.com/player/tombrady/2504211/careerstats

I've got another observation:

Watson did hold onto the ball way to long. But I also noticed he couldn't pick up an obvious blitz if his life depended on it. The other issue I have, the OC is calling passing plays like he has 5 future HOF's on the OL and 3 HOF WR's running the 10-15 yard routes.

So, is Watson permitted to audible out of the called play when he notices an obvious blitz is coming? It's one of the other, either he can't see a blitz coming or he's not allowed to change the play.

Watson is obviously holding the ball waiting for the routes to develop or the receivers to get open. This new mess comes down to the type of plays be called and expected to executed successfully......someone on the sideline is wearing rose colored glasses. The teams OC is forcing his QB into developing horrible habits that may be tough to break later on.

Gaine needs to go shopping other teams PS's for a serviceable WR. There's no excuse for this team coming up short on personnel on game day. OL one week, WR's the next....somethings wrong with the decision making. RAC doesn't seem to have this problem but the OC is living with these problems what seems like every week.

Watson needs to see a modified playbook that features more slants, more TE's involvement, and RB's in the flat. If the OC would go up-tempo and no-huddle.....Watson would prevail in a quick-strike offense that takes what the defense is giving them. The running game has the personnel to take advantage once the defense has loosened the amount of personnel stuffed into the box.

And yet the Texans won 9 in a row with these flaws and were within an offsides call of having the chance of winning 10 in a row. I want BOB to call shorter routes too. But the TE's are needed to help out the OL this yr. It's just the way it is if they want to keep Watson healthy.

They do need to add another WR or 2. Cut Webb and add another Slot guy.

BTW, did you have a problem with the offensive gameplan? Guys were open and if they had been found more points would've been put on the board.

Like literally 4 posts above and the overall sentiment after a bad loss towards Watson is mystifying. I know it's a "what have you done lately" league but the dude is playing in his 20th NFL game with a suspect OL and a beat up WR Corp. He's going to have games where he struggles every player does, it's up to the rest of the team to slack him up.

"He is holding onto the ball too long" .. well no **** .. in equally sensational news .. water is wet.

At times he did hold the ball too long and he missed some open receivers. He had an off day (which is equal to a good day for many QBs). There are still some things he needs to learn, which is to be expected. For a QB like him, when to try to extend the play and when to throw it away is going to be a difficult call to make given his ability to extend plays. My pointing out the negatives of his game in no way is an indicator that I am down on Watson. I am still very much a Watson fan and glad he is our QB. I think he has the potential to be one of the greats at his position and he is already playing at a high level. But he is a young QB who still has plenty of aspects to his game that can be refined (which only means he can and will get better).

What I am worried about: in the last 8 games he eclipsed 240 Yards once - and that was yesterday. He is Holding on to the ball for too Long and his deep ball accuracy is lacking - especially when not throwing to Fuller.

I wouldn't blame the O-line for his struggles since the halfway Point of the Season. They have been decent. But I will blame the Coaching, at least a bit. We see very few fast short throws - and they seem to be the most important throws in todays NFL. And we see very few backshoulder throws - which he was doing often in his rookie Season.

That being said, it is his second Season and BoB changed his Approach to Coaching him 2 times so far. First at the beginning of this Season and then again at game 6 of this Season (way fewer passes Overall, way fewer designed runs, less risk taking). A lot of his weaknesses can be corrected, and a lot of them just take some time. I am still a believer, but there definetly is a different to how I viewed Watson last Season.

And yet the Texans won 9 in a row with these flaws and were within an offsides call of having the chance of winning 10 in a row. I want BOB to call shorter routes too. But the TE's are needed to help out the OL this yr. It's just the way it is if they want to keep Watson healthy.

They do need to add another WR or 2. Cut Webb and add another Slot guy.

BTW, did you have a problem with the offensive gameplan? Guys were open and if they had been found more points would've been put on the board.

I think O'Brien's 1st down calls have really handcuffed the offense which in turn forces the offense into high protect mode b/c the defense is sending everyone on 2nd and 3rd downs.

O'Brien has been to predictable. The Texans have gotten away with this but it will be exposed when the stakes get higher.

Texans need an OC first and foremost much in the same vein as RAC. Then add a strong draft that supplies answers on the OL, CB, WR, EDGE and possibly RB.

What still puzzles me.....how did O'Brien get so much more production out of Watson and his offense last season when the OL was far worse than this unit?

I think O'Brien's 1st down calls have really handcuffed the offense which in turn forces the offense into high protect mode b/c the defense is sending everyone on 2nd and 3rd downs.

O'Brien has been to predictable. The Texans have gotten away with this but it will be exposed when the stakes get higher.

Texans need an OC first and foremost much in the same vein as RAC. Then add a strong draft that supplies answers on the OL, CB, WR, EDGE and possibly RB.

What still puzzles me.....how did O'Brien get so much more production out of Watson and his offense last season when the OL was far worse than this unit?
Lack of film on Watson had a lot to do with it.

This is the way they have to play if they want to win

Watson was healthier and BOB basically ran Watson's college offense. Watson getting hurt changed the way BOB has called plays this yr. Particularly since Watson was playing with a punctured lung and broken ribs you can see the need to protect Watson more with playcalling even if Watson really isn't good at avoiding shots.

Well then...let's dust off the playbook O'Brien used for those first 7 games and give it a whirl for a game or two. O'Brien's newly modified offense this season hasn't yielded the same results.....thank goodness the defense has really stepped back up this season.

Good in theory but it doesn't work that way. Its the same way Dak Prescott looked like the second coming of Troy Aikman for Dallas last year. Rookie QBs in their first season, assuming they have any talent and the mental strength to play in the NFL, usually have great first seasons because the other teams have no idea what to expect. You throw in the fact that at any moment Watson could take off like a RB and defenses had to try to be every where at once. After they got some film on him and were able better plan things out over the off season they were better able to counter his skill set.

That's not a knock on Watson that's just the way the NFL works, its much the same way Osweiler was able to look good against NE while he was in Denver, they planned for Manning. Its why everyone talks about a QBs Sophomore year being so vital, that's when you really get to see what you have in a QB. Overall I still think we have a franchise guy but against good teams it will be few and far between where he makes them look like amateurs just like rarely does Brady, Brees or Rogers make other, good teams look like amateurs.

I think people are really underestimating the effect of coaching/playcalling. Look at Baker Mayfield. He went from a disappointing rookie to a league leader with a midseason change of HC & OC.

What was wrong with the playcalling yesterday?

Plays were there to be made that didn't get made.

Deshaun Watson is 100% healthy right now that can't be used as some talking point to excuse strange decision making

Bill ran Watson's "college offense" because he gave Watson ZERO practice time in the preseason with the 1s instead choosing to groom Tom Savage. Watson didn't know the playbook, not health related.

So Carter gets hurt Yesterday, IMO prime example to go max protect and get your huge 'catch everything' WRs involved .. instead the best solution was Joe Webb in the slot so Bill could keep forcing those 3 & 4 WR sets? Webb screwed up on a few of those plays but no fault of his own.

Another thing .. you have one of the best kickers in the league you only gonna use him for 40 yarders? I'd bet Fairbairn hits one if not both of those FGs with the way he's been kicking lately

Play calling was vanilla. Nothing creative. Nothing new this week. Poor execution? Sure. Bad game, but can definitely be used as a great teaching tool for everyone involved.

Deshaun Watson is 100% healthy right now that can't be used as some talking point to excuse strange decision making

Bill ran Watson's "college offense" because he gave Watson ZERO practice time in the preseason with the 1s instead choosing to groom Tom Savage. Watson didn't know the playbook, not health related.

So Carter gets hurt Yesterday, IMO prime example to go max protect and get your huge 'catch everything' WRs involved .. instead the best solution was Joe Webb in the slot so Bill could keep forcing those 3 & 4 WR sets? Webb screwed up on a few of those plays but no fault of his own.

Another thing .. you have one of the best kickers in the league you only gonna use him for 40 yarders? I'd bet Fairbairn hits one if not both of those FGs with the way he's been kicking lately

Play calling was vanilla. Nothing creative. Nothing new this week. Poor execution? Sure. Bad game, but can definitely be used as a great teaching tool for everyone involved.

Yet if Watson had hit those 2 wide open TD's to Nuk/Hopkins the offense would've put up 35 pts and I'm pretty sure you would be saying you doubt BOB will be able to call a game like this in the playoffs.

Fairbairn is a top K in the NFL?

LOL

That's not what people were saying when he missed that late 4th qtr FG against the Redskins.

Yet if Watson had hit those 2 wide open TD's to Nuk/Hopkins the offense would've put up 35 pts and I'm pretty sure you would be saying you doubt BOB will be able to call a game like this in the playoffs.

Fairbairn is a top K in the NFL?

LOL

That's not what people were saying when he missed that late 4th qtr FG against the Redskins.

Sometimes I don't know if you have a learning disability or if you're just a master troller.

I mean you couldn't even be bothered to look up the kicking stats instead continuing to lay this at the feet of Watson?

Deflect, distract, deny and dispose. SMH.

Sometimes I don't know if you have a learning disability or if you're just a master troller.

I mean you couldn't even be bothered to look up the kicking stats instead continuing to lay this at the feet of Watson?

Deflect, distract, deny and dispose. SMH.

SMH

Just a few weeks ago many on here were wanting to cut Faibairn.

I wasn't one of those. But I certainly wouldn't put Fairbairn in the Vinatieri/Bryant/Tucker etc.. conversation.

But carry on with what you believe in.

Are you that much into stats.

I think Fairbairn has been slightly above avg and dont care what the numbers say The guys I listed plus a few more like Janikowski/Hauschka (SP?) etc.... are better. I mean you're talking about the NFL's all time leading scores Tucker is only great etc... so that wasn't meant as a slight to Fairbairn. He's been very solid this season.

https://twitter.com/BenDuBose/status/1072267822812798978?s=19

Interesting commentary by Bill O’Brien on his weekly radio show. Strongly suggesting he made a mistake inserting Joe Webb into the slot role after the DeAndre Carter injury. Says Webb more suited for outside WR + that “other guys” on roster were better suited for slot. #Texans

https://twitter.com/BenDuBose/status/1072268312300658689?s=19

O’Brien made it clear that he’s not blaming Webb and that Joe was prepared. He’s blaming himself for not using an alternative option. Not sure who that would’ve been, considering they were out of receivers.

Yup. Night guys chat with y'all tomorrow.

I'm still on the Watson bandwagon, He's not the Messiah some on this MB make him out to be. He's just a young QB that's still learning the pro game. I think he's going to be a Steve Young type QB when he gets things figured out. He's got the clutch gene and has won at every level he's played at.

Get the OL fixed this offseason and you will see a much improved Watson next season. Hopefully Watson can stay healthy behind this crap OL and continue on the learning curve.
I'm on board with those sentiments.
Watson was the second best QB on the field yesterday in Houston but Andy Luck now healthy with 8 years in the league and @ 30 years of age he's one the best and
Watson has a ways to go before he gets there but he's only n first full year as an NFL starter.

Good news; found the deshaun episode of detail+ on reddit. Here you go

Part 1-https://streamable.com/hz5we

Part 2-https://streamable.com/9tquj

Part 3-https://streamable.com/1q1t5

Thanks for the links. It's interesting that in the first first video, the first play Manning reviews is a DB blitz. The Colts successfully executed that exact blitz multiple times.

Not to mention there's a reason college offenses stay in college. Unless you think it'd be a swell idea to run the option or spread in the NFL.

Thanks for the links. It's interesting that in the first first video, the first play Manning reviews is a DB blitz. The Colts successfully executed that exact blitz multiple times.

Man Manning broke it down for the Colts. And they executed it to perfection.

Look here guys here's the scoop on getting to Watson. Blitz him with the DB's

If you sort by percentage made instead of number attempted or points, Fairbairn is at 85.3%... 14th in the league which is just slightly above average as @steelbtexan stated. Over 50 yds he is just 3-5 or 60%. Fairbairn is not one of the top kickers in the NFL but he is not one of the worst either.... that would be Boswell (who many here wanted to keep).

If you sort by percentage made instead of number attempted or points, Fairbairn is at 85.3%... 14th in the league which is just slightly above average as @steelbtexan stated. Over 50 yds he is just 3-5 or 60%. Fairbairn is not one of the top kickers in the NFL but he is not one of the worst either.... that would be Boswell (who many here wanted to keep).

Jb he's attempted the most FGs in the league. His % points will be affected. I'm not saying dude is automatic, but this year he's been great. Bad misses are all people remember about kickers and Fairbairn has a few of those as do all kickers.

My point is that if we can't trust our kicker to kick a 55 yarder then we will continue to lose meaningful games. Fairbairn hit a 55 yarder last year, make him comfortable from that distance ... against the Colts we were not going to stop them regardless of the field position ... Take a shot. Build up his game confidence. You miss they get the ball at the 40 big whoop.

"You miss all the shots you don't take"

Jb he's attempted the most FGs in the league. His % points will be affected. I'm not saying dude is automatic, but this year he's been great. Bad misses are all people remember about kickers and Fairbairn has a few of those as do all kickers.

My point is that if we can't trust our kicker to kick a 55 yarder then we will continue to lose meaningful games. Fairbairn hit a 55 yarder last year, make him comfortable from that distance ... against the Colts we were not going to stop them regardless of the field position ... Take a shot. Build up his game confidence. You miss they get the ball at the 40 big whoop.

You make a good point about the percentage and an even better one about showing trust and instilling confidence

Thanks for looking up the numbers.

I just went by the eye test.

Reactions: JB

Obviously BOB believes in the defense.

Too much so sometimes. He thought the odds of the defense stopping the Colts was greater than Fairbairn making a 55 yd FG. So let me ask you, what's the line where you think the odds are against Fairbairn making a FG and punting would be the best option?

58 yds/60 yds/63 yds?

Obviously BOB believes in the defense.

Too much so sometimes. He thought the odds of the defense stopping the Colts was greater than Fairbairn making a 55 yd FG. So let me ask you, what's the line where you think the odds are against Fairbairn making a FG and punting would be the best option?

58 yds/60 yds/63 yds?

thats all game theory .. tendency .. management. A FG could stop the bleeding, create some momentum, something positive .. the elements come into play, high altitude? I mean kicking at home should be a cakewalk for these guys by now, hell the Dallas kicker nailed a 62 yarder at home the other night and nobody even knows what that dudes name is, who's to say what a threshold is for Fairbairn if you dont test it, he's missed 2 from 50+ so I understand the reservation but you cant paralyze yourself by overanalyzing .. have faith in your guys.

Obrien passed a 55 yarder to start the 4th quarter down 10 points just a wierd decision when your K has already shown he can hit from that distance. I'd give him better odds on the 55 yarder than the 60 yarder that presented itself before that for sure.

Looking at the drive summaries you can see that the defense in the 4th quarter did its job. It feels like they got roasted but Indys last score was with 3 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. Passed up the FG and then got a TD after that decision. Its just something to point out, not nailing O'Brien to the cross, hopefully next time that situation presents itself he'll take a shot.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401030813

thats all game theory .. tendency .. management. A FG could stop the bleeding, create some momentum, something positive .. the elements come into play, high altitude? I mean kicking at home should be a cakewalk for these guys by now, hell the Dallas kicker nailed a 62 yarder at home the other night and nobody even knows what that dudes name is, who's to say what a threshold is for Fairbairn if you dont test it, he's missed 2 from 50+ so I understand the reservation but you cant paralyze yourself by overanalyzing .. have faith in your guys.

Obrien passed a 55 yarder to start the 4th quarter down 10 points just a wierd decision when your K has already shown he can hit from that distance. I'd give him better odds on the 55 yarder than the 60 yarder that presented itself before that for sure.

Looking at the drive summaries you can see that the defense in the 4th quarter did its job. It feels like they got roasted but Indys last score was with 3 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. Passed up the FG and then got a TD after that decision. Its just something to point out, not nailing O'Brien to the cross, hopefully next time that situation presents itself he'll take a shot.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401030813

I was just wondering what line you thought the risk wasn't worth the reward.

BTW, I was thinking at the time they should have gone for the FG

I was just wondering what line you thought the risk wasn't worth the reward.

BTW, I was thinking at the time they should have gone for the FG

I mean in hindsight O'brien was right. His defense did hold, but the offense couldnt get anything going until late in the game. Im not trying to make it seem like its a foregone conclusion Fairbairn makes it either, only that either A) you give them great field position, but your defense holds or B) you miss the long FG and they go and kick another FG to go up 13 .. you're still down 2 scores no matter what.

Situational awareness will dictate limits I guess. Who knows maybe Fairbairn said he couldnt hit it? Sore foot, or whatever. **** happens.

Back