Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Another Whiff By The Texans?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

There's already talk in league circles that defensive tackle Amobi Okoye, the No. 10 overall pick in the draft, could be a bust.

The 20-year-old rookie from Louisville received plenty of hype in the run up to the draft. But the opinion of some is that he is undersized and not strong. As one source said, he's the "creation of a good P.R. campaign," and "there's no way he's a first-round pick."

Okoye already has been overshadowed in training camp and the preseason by Rams nose tackle Adam Carriker, the 13th overall selection. Carriker appears to be poised to make an instant impact at this level.

In our view, the biggest red flag regarding Okoye was raised when his college coach, Bobby Petrino, drafted defensive end Jamaal Anderson instead of Okoye. If Petrino, who had prior NFL experience, believed that Okoye could excel as a pro, Petrino surely would have taken the known commodity over the unknown quantity.

If Okoye falters, he'll be the third first-round pick on the Texans defensive line that has underachieved, including defensive tackle Travis Johnson and defensive end Mario Williams.

There's already talk in league circles that defensive tackle Amobi Okoye, the No. 10 overall pick in the draft, could be a bust.

The 20-year-old rookie from Louisville received plenty of hype in the run up to the draft. But the opinion of some is that he is undersized and not strong. As one source said, he's the "creation of a good P.R. campaign," and "there's no way he's a first-round pick."

Okoye already has been overshadowed in training camp and the preseason by Rams nose tackle Adam Carriker, the 13th overall selection. Carriker appears to be poised to make an instant impact at this level.

In our view, the biggest red flag regarding Okoye was raised when his college coach, Bobby Petrino, drafted defensive end Jamaal Anderson instead of Okoye. If Petrino, who had prior NFL experience, believed that Okoye could excel as a pro, Petrino surely would have taken the known commodity over the unknown quantity.

If Okoye falters, he'll be the third first-round pick on the Texans defensive line that has underachieved, including defensive tackle Travis Johnson and defensive end Mario Williams.

ppl love to talk ****** about us what ever they are all haters :fans: :fans:

I am beginning to dislike PFT. They never have anything positive to say about the Texans. The only thing I like about PFT is that there is no real bias. Each team receives the same amount of coverage, unless one of their players has a legal issue. In that case, they are covered exclusively.

I just don't know what to make of these. They're amusing to say the least, but how do they possibly base this on anything?

http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

The Falcons had a big hole to fill at DE after the offseason loss of Patrick Kerney, who was good enough to get almost 20 million in guarantees from the Seahawks. So apparently they felt that DE Jamaal Anderson was a bigger need than an inside DLineman like Okoye even if Okoye played for the new HC in college ?
Still it's a fair question and leaves a little doubt given that coachs tend to be very loyal to their X-players ?

PFT isn't a very reputable site. I read their stuff occasionally for laughs during the free agency period, and it always appeared that they made up half of their stuff just to create readership.

They're basing this entire article on circumstantial evidence. No facts, just speculation.

I like how they threw the Mario bust in there also, nice touch.

In the words of Yosemite Sam, "Idiots!" (spoken "idguts")

I think the article has some good points....

I don't think Amobi is a bust...I think he'll be a good player...

But nevertheless, I still think the article has some valid points...

its too early to label anyone a bust but I have the same concerns and voiced them to all my friends as we drafted. I've also mentioned here not to expect much from him this year since he probably won't be good right off the bat.

Who knows. One thing is for sure is IF the Texans keep whiffing on 1st rounders we are doomed to be the Detroit Lions of the AFC.

its too early to label anyone a bust but I have the same concerns and voiced them to all my friends as we drafted. I've also mentioned here not to expect much from him this year since he probably won't be good right off the bat.

I wasn't "excited" about the pick..I wanted to move down and take one of the WRs or DBs...but I like the kid. The only thing that scares me is that it kind of reminds me of the Cowbous when they desparately tried to upgrade the D-line and went with Greg Ellis and Ekuban in consecutive years. They ended up being "good" serviceable starters but not studs in my book. I think it is too early but I expect a slow year this year from him and then we will see how he grows next year.

I wonder why they didn’t throw Babin in that group?

Babin is looking like a player finally

If it can happen with Babin, it can happen with anyone...maybe even Travis Johnson who seems to be doing somewhat better, say I after watching him play a few downs in one pre season game.

Ridiculous assumptions by PFT.

The assumption here is that Bobby Petrino had the final say on their first pick, which might not be true.

I lov ethe attack the messager versus the message posting that broke out here. Overall, I think too early to declare any player as a bust unless he is just a disaster which Okoye did not seem to me in 1st preseason game. Also, the until the Texans at least make the playoffs pretty much anything we read from anyone national will be neutral at best and most likely not complimentary.

I don't know. This all sounds like revisionist history by the pundits. Even the NFL draft loser at ESPN had the Skins taking Okoye at #5 overall and applauding it but then when he fell to us at #10 it was all of a sudden a bad pick because we made it.

Okoye has done nothing to wow me but neither has Mario. Ill be patient.

Babin is looking like a player finally

So, does that mean calling him a bust . . . was premature? (not saying you did, but a LOT of people did, and still do)

And if that's the case, is calling Mario, Travis, and Amobi busts premature?

Does it prove the point that you have to wait 3 or 4 years before you can label a DL a bust?

It would seem to be the case, yes, no?

Anything is possible but considering the kid has over achieved at everything he has ever done in his life I expect him to do the same now and wait and see what happens.

I don't know. This all sounds like revisionist history by the pundits. Even the NFL draft loser at ESPN had the Skins taking Okoye at #5 overall and applauding it but then when he fell to us at #10 it was all of a sudden a bad pick because we made it.

Okoye has done nothing to wow me but neither has Mario. Ill be patient.

This is like what happened to Mario. He was projected top 5 and projected to be the first defensive player taken...yet since Bush happened to go after him they change their tune.

I think Okoye has been doing pretty well. Imagine that it takes Dlinemen (usually) 2 to 3 years to develop and really get into the game...by that time he'll be what...21, 22...

You draft on potential. Mario was drafted on the potential that he could be a HOF DE, and Amobi was drafted on the potential that a good DT could get our whole line moving. It just seems that some people expect these players to reach their potential too soon, and that is where the bust label comes from. Either that or people have high expectations...like Mario HAS to have a HOF career in order not to be labled a bust.

This is way early, espically when you consider his position and his age. There is no denying that DT's tend to bust guite freguentloy in the NFL, but few make an impact as a rookie, espically a 20 year old rookie.

In other news, the Texans 2008 1st Round pick is offically a bust. <insert player name here> has yet to record any stats in this, his final year in the NCAA.

The critism of AO and MW will stop when they start making plays. So far, neither of them has. Of course, it will take some time to develop but, players drafted as highly as both of them are expected to show signs of the potential they were drafted for and, so far, neither is showing anything. Maybe, it is a little too hard on AO but, even in just 2 pre-season games, there should be a flash of good stuff here and there and so far he and MW have been non-factors on our defense. We could have plugged ANY of our other dlinemen into their positions so far and gotten as good or better play.

Of course, it is not their fault we chose to draft them as high as we did and it appears, at this point that we reached for both of them. The disappointment should be aimed much more at the FO than the players themselves because they were probably drafted before they should have been and MW should be a LDE and Amobi should be moved to DE and allowed to mature into the position.

The critism of AO and MW will stop when they start making plays. So far, neither of them has. Of course, it will take some time to develop but, players drafted as highly as both of them are expected to show signs of the potential they were drafted for and, so far, neither is showing anything. Maybe, it is a little too hard on AO but, even in just 2 pre-season games, there should be a flash of good stuff here and there and so far he and MW have been non-factors on our defense. We could have plugged ANY of our other dlinemen into their positions so far and gotten as good or better play.

Of course, it is not their fault we chose to draft them as high as we did and it appears, at this point that we reached for both of them. The disappointment should be aimed much more at the FO than the players themselves because they were probably drafted before they should have been and MW should be a LDE and Amobi should be moved to DE and allowed to mature into the position.

Dude, do you know how foolish you are looking for saying that Amobi is failing after 2 meaningless games. Espically the first 2 games of his pro career.

Reggie Bush didn't have a TD will week 8 last year, and I'msure you thought he was a bust till then too.

The knee-jerking on Mario I can understand (espically when the second coming of Jesus is factored into the pick), I don't agree with it; but I understand...this talk of Amobi being a bust is jumping the gun by several miles at best.

In other news, the Texans 2008 1st Round pick is offically a bust. <insert player name here> has yet to record any stats in this, his final year in the NCAA.

What were we thinking picking him? I can't believe we didn't pick <insert other name> instead.

I think what is happening here with our first round DLmen is that all of them except for perhaps TJ are all long term prospects not instant performers.

I know that will rile people who think that first rounders should be instant impact players but I think the front office is working on a longer schedule than that.

Babin is a long term because he was moved around.

Mario is long term because he has to learn how to use his raw talent that got him by in college.

Okoye is long term because he's 20... 20

Now this may suck for now but hopefully it will pay off for years and years to come.

So, does that mean calling him a bust . . . was premature? (not saying you did, but a LOT of people did, and still do)

And if that's the case, is calling Mario, Travis, and Amobi busts premature?

Does it prove the point that you have to wait 3 or 4 years before you can label a DL a bust?

It would seem to be the case, yes, no?

Everyone tries to quantify situations as if they're the same...

Use your eyes...Babin has always shown that he could somewhat get after the passer....He's always had good burst for a DE...

Mario looks bad....

Tommie Harris is another young DT who entered the leauge at age 20...

He too played less than stellar trying to adjust to the strength of NFL O-linemen...

I saw some good things out of Okoye today...

For instance...If you can go back and watch the game look at that 4th and 1 stop we had....Okoye is down towards the bottom of the screen...The guard in front of him tries to block him and Levi Brown is trying to block don on him...

Okoye made the guard whiff and eat dirt and when Brown tried to block down on him he used a spin move and made Levi whiff...He didn't make the play, but he would have if the RB had come towards him...Instead he arrived on the scene a second too late...It was a great move...

I heard someone talking earlier about how Okoye was the one "standing next to the pile", but go back and take a look at how he got there...

Give the guy time to develop...He's doing some good things down there in the trenches and within years the guy is going to be a beast....We are going to see some good things from Okoye this year...This is a kid that will show flashes...

So Atlanta drafts a DE after their Pro-Bowl DE leaves via FA and they don't draft a DT when their starting and sometime Pro-Bowl DTs (Rod Coleman, Grady Jackson, Jonathan Babineaux) stay?

Yeah Coach Petrino must be saying AO is horrible.

Still trying to figure out why you take AO when Willis is still on the board.

I think the Texans will get blasted for taking another D-Lineman, since this was the 4th straight 1st rounder used on the D-Line. Millen has been getting crap for taking WRs.

For instance...If you can go back and watch the game look at that 4th and 1 stop we had....Okoye is down towards the bottom of the screen...The guard in front of him tries to block him and Levi Brown is trying to block don on him...

Okoye made the guard whiff and eat dirt and when Brown tried to block down on him he used a spin move and made Levi whiff...He didn't make the play, but he would have if the RB had come towards him...Instead he arrived on the scene a second too late...It was a great move...

I heard someone talking earlier about how Okoye was the one "standing next to the pile", but go back and take a look at how he got there...

Yeah, I went back and looked at him on that play last night. That was a good play from him. I think Mario did a pretty good job holding the point of attack on that play, too.

Yeah, I went back and looked at him on that play last night. That was a good play from him. I think Mario did a pretty good job holding the point of attack on that play, too.

The shame about all the excuse making is that the key player on that play was Maddox (and he never got mentioned at all)....not Okoye. If Maddox gets whipped, they make the first down. Okoye ended up on the ground. Mario held his ground and didn't get pushed back...the trait of a nice run stopping lineman....our future DT perhaps.

I'm not calling anyone a bust....BUT...

Our D-line is clearly one of the weakest aspects of this team, in spite of using four first round picks.

I did not expect Pro Bowl performances in the first two pre-season games. However, they do not seem to reveal any fire or determination to prove themselves. And combined with our recent history, the direction we seem to be headed does not seem to be one of having a consistent pass rush. It might be a really long season for our coverage players as a result.

They're basing this entire article on circumstantial evidence. No facts, just speculation.

fact- travis johnson and mario williams have shown us little

speculaton- okoye is a bust...

I don't know what sort of player Okoye will be but I will make this observation.

I think all scouting staffs have biases. Some teams like more proven guys in college, some like more potential, some put more or less weight on character concerns. (probably more so now with the conduct policy).

The Texans traditionally seem to put a high value on potential, measurables, character. They have often taken upside players that they think they can coach up. They like niiiiiiiiice guys. Some times this works for the team (Daniels, Jones as examples), and sometimes not so much.

Betting on potential might be easier on offense when the coaching staff has a good idea in what they want, then on defense where you aren't sure they have a philosophy. (best players on defense so far, are the ones who were proven guys/not upside: Robinson, Ryans).

The Texans will play more of their draftees just because there are so many needs, but a team that has already top 25%/50% league players in place can use a rookie easier without the rookie being exposed than a team that has less of those top players. We are going to see more of a draftees flaws because not only are we watching them learn, but we are depending on these rookies to be key parts of our team. In probably doesn't make it any easier that we are depending on rookies, and our defensive coaching staff is fairly inexperienced as a staff together too--working on schemes and developing players.

Just stuff noodling around in my head--things you wonder about during draft time.

Back