Another Whiff By The Texans?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by the wonger need food, Aug 18, 2007.

1. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

There's already talk in league circles that defensive tackle Amobi Okoye, the No. 10 overall pick in the draft, could be a bust.

The 20-year-old rookie from Louisville received plenty of hype in the run up to the draft. But the opinion of some is that he is undersized and not strong. As one source said, he's the "creation of a good P.R. campaign," and "there's no way he's a first-round pick."

Okoye already has been overshadowed in training camp and the preseason by Rams nose tackle Adam Carriker, the 13th overall selection. Carriker appears to be poised to make an instant impact at this level.

In our view, the biggest red flag regarding Okoye was raised when his college coach, Bobby Petrino, drafted defensive end Jamaal Anderson instead of Okoye. If Petrino, who had prior NFL experience, believed that Okoye could excel as a pro, Petrino surely would have taken the known commodity over the unknown quantity.

If Okoye falters, he'll be the third first-round pick on the Texans defensive line that has underachieved, including defensive tackle Travis Johnson and defensive end Mario Williams.

2. JohnsonFan

JohnsonFan All Pro

ppl love to talk ****** about us what ever they are all haters :fans: :fans:

3. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

I am beginning to dislike PFT. They never have anything positive to say about the Texans. The only thing I like about PFT is that there is no real bias. Each team receives the same amount of coverage, unless one of their players has a legal issue. In that case, they are covered exclusively.

4. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

So he's played a handful of games in one preseason game and he's already a bust before he's old enough to drink?

5. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I just don't know what to make of these. They're amusing to say the least, but how do they possibly base this on anything?

http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

6. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

The Falcons had a big hole to fill at DE after the offseason loss of Patrick Kerney, who was good enough to get almost 20 million in guarantees from the Seahawks. So apparently they felt that DE Jamaal Anderson was a bigger need than an inside DLineman like Okoye even if Okoye played for the new HC in college ?
    Still it's a fair question and leaves a little doubt given that coachs tend to be very loyal to their X-players ?

7. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

I think I will wait longer than the 1st preseason game to call him a bust.

8. checo446

checo446 Veteran

I read that profootballtalk website occasionally during the free agency period. it is humorous to see some of the stuff they make up in their rumor mill. I wouldn't make too much of it.

9. checo446

checo446 Veteran

PFT isn't a very reputable site. I read their stuff occasionally for laughs during the free agency period, and it always appeared that they made up half of their stuff just to create readership.

10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

After a pre-season game?Wow, they don't even wait for our picks to play anymore..lol. It won't end until we win.

11. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

They're basing this entire article on circumstantial evidence. No facts, just speculation.

I like how they threw the Mario bust in there also, nice touch.

In the words of Yosemite Sam, "Idiots!" (spoken "idguts")

12. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

World Weekly News strikes again . . .

13. real

real Guest

I think the article has some good points....

I don't think Amobi is a bust...I think he'll be a good player...

But nevertheless, I still think the article has some valid points...

14. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

its too early to label anyone a bust but I have the same concerns and voiced them to all my friends as we drafted. I've also mentioned here not to expect much from him this year since he probably won't be good right off the bat.

15. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Who knows. One thing is for sure is IF the Texans keep whiffing on 1st rounders we are doomed to be the Detroit Lions of the AFC.

16. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I wasn't "excited" about the pick..I wanted to move down and take one of the WRs or DBs...but I like the kid. The only thing that scares me is that it kind of reminds me of the Cowbous when they desparately tried to upgrade the D-line and went with Greg Ellis and Ekuban in consecutive years. They ended up being "good" serviceable starters but not studs in my book. I think it is too early but I expect a slow year this year from him and then we will see how he grows next year.

17. Heath Shuler

Heath Shuler worst 2 1st

I wonder why they didn’t throw Babin in that group?

18. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Babin is looking like a player finally

19. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

If it can happen with Babin, it can happen with anyone...maybe even Travis Johnson who seems to be doing somewhat better, say I after watching him play a few downs in one pre season game.

Ridiculous assumptions by PFT.

20. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

FOOL!!:dangit: What's wrong with you........Admit it............He's a Bust!!!!!!