Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Andre Roberts former Texan

beerlover

Hall of Fame
First game with Chargers as their new kick returner today. Cut by the Texans couple weeks ago, he’s had time to practice and learn his new team/coaches. Chargers desperately needed a return man and Texans signed him to a pretty big one year contract 5.9 million but he wasn’t utilized. Does anyone know here know why?

Patriots kicked away from him mostly, but was positive gain. 7 yard punt return and 3 kickoff returns 23.7 yard average, which is 8 yard per return over ex returner KJ Hill. Do not remember Texans having him field kicks once? Only one pass reception. Very strange, have no explanation how one teams trash is another’s treasure.

Patriots kicked away from him mostly, but was positive gain. 7 yard punt return and 3 kickoff returns 23.7 yard average, which is 8 yard per return over ex returner KJ Hill. Do not remember Texans having him field kicks once? Only one pass reception. Very strange, have no explanation how one teams trash is another’s treasure.
He was exclusively our kick returner. Miffed twice, lost one. Constantly coming out 5 yards deep in the end zone & never crossed the 20

He was exclusively our kick returner. Miffed twice, lost one. Constantly coming out 5 yards deep in the end zone & never crossed the 20

UH has a return guy, Marcus Jones, that could be available as an UDFA in 2022. MJ has 9 return TD’s in his career…..2 KO and 2 PR TD’s this season.

If you guys haven’t seen MJ’s last second KO return of 102 yards for a Cougars win…..need to take the time and watch. Outside of ST’s, he’s also played as a DB and WR.

Doesn’t show up on his stat line, but thanks for the heads up. He seemed good in his debut, not so much the Chargers in general, lol

Not much improvement for a Charger Special teams that ranks 32nd in DVOA and 30th in EPA. Chargers replaced both the kicker, Tristan Vizcaino with Dustin Hopkins (7FGA-7FGM 9XPA-8XPM) huge improvement and KR KJ Hill Jr. with Andre Robert’s.

Andre Robert’s has not miffed one punt or kick as a Charger. Caught one deep (should of let it go) but stayed away from making same mistake twice. His best game was against the Eagles where he returned 4 kicks for 96 yards. Not saying much yet but clear improvement over KJ Hill, more juice and attitude needed for return man.

Far as I can tell both Texans and Chargers have always struggled on special teams. Special teams is a hallmark of perennial playoff football teams. I can see now, how a lot of late round picks are drafted, sometimes exclusively to fill-out special team holes, most notably kicker, gunner and returner.

Honestly wasn’t expecting that much from Andre Roberts, but he still has something in the tank. Was good signing by Caserio just for whatever reason didn’t work out in Houston. Staley talked glowingly about him in presser following Bronco game, as a veteran leader for the younger players, “coach on the field” Staley said, he received game ball afterwards.

The Chargers did not make a trade at the deadline in November. But they still found one of the most impactful in-season additions of the NFL season.

That would be returner Andre Roberts, whom the Chargers signed on Oct. 21 during their bye week after he was cut by the Texans.

Roberts opened the game with a 47-yard kickoff return. He also had a 101-yard kickoff return touchdown in the fourth quarter that put the Chargers up 27-6 and more or less sealed the game.

Roberts is first in the league in kickoff return average and second in kickoff return yards since Week 8. He has been a difference-maker.

The Chargers ranked 28th in special teams EPA through the first six weeks of the season, according to TruMedia. Since Week 8, they rank 17th.

Was good signing by Caserio just for whatever reason didn’t work out in Houston.
$2.6 million in dead money, and Roberts was a good signing by Caserio?

The Texans had nearly $50 million in dead money this year, and $35 million (so far) in 2022. That's not all on Nick. Much of that was from bad contracts given out by O'Brien and Easterby. But the Roberts signing was all Caserio. He has got to be more frugal going forward if this organization is ever going to compete.

$2.6 million in dead money, and Roberts was a good signing by Caserio?

The Texans had nearly $50 million in dead money this year, and $35 million (so far) in 2022. That's not all on Nick. Much of that was from bad contracts given out by O'Brien and Easterby. But the Roberts signing was all Caserio. He has got to be more frugal going forward if this organization is ever going to compete.

Sorry, are you suggesting he was bad signing because he was released and cost Texans 2.6 dead cap hit?

Smells more like not being cultural fit, because he’s proven otherwise w/Chargers.

Smells more like not being cultural fit, because he’s proven otherwise w/Chargers.
So the Chargers HC says he's "a veteran leader for the younger players, coach on the field”. If something like that doesn't fit the "culture" around this Texans shitshow, then what the **** is their culture exactly?

So the Chargers HC says he's "a veteran leader for the younger players, coach on the field”. If something like that doesn't fit the "culture" around this Texans shitshow, then what the **** is their culture exactly?

Spare y’all Coach Staley presser, where goes into more detail but this should suffice -

Sure it’s not coaching? I mean who doesn’t like to pile on a Texan GM, who? Since 2002 and Casserly selected Carr over Peppers, it’s been on. It’s been on with Rick Smith as well. No need to mention Gaine, so short lived but certainly Butt Chin. Now Caserio. But look I’m trying to cut him a break and not let my compromised opinion taint the important picture. That is, coaching. Always has been and always will be. How’s DeAndre Carter doing for his new team returning kicks?

Last edited:
Sure it’s not coaching? I mean who doesn’t like to pile on a Texan GM, who? Since 2002 and Casserly selected Carr over Peppers, it’s been on. It’s been on with Rick Smith as well. No need to mention Gaine, so short lived but certainly Butt Chin. Now Caserio. But look I’m trying to cut him a break and not let my compromised opinion taint the important picture. That is, coaching. Always has been and always will be. How’s DeAndre Carter doing for his new team returning kicks?
Coaching is part of it but Desmond King has been doing well while returning. For some reason Roberts was making bad decisions on when to return, or were they (hint:get me outta here) :hmmm:

Courtesy of Joe Reedy via Twitter

kick return unit Weeks 1 thru 6 averaged a league low 16.5 yards. 10 of 15 kicks returned didn't reach the 20. Average start: 21 yard line. Since Week 8 and Roberts signing: 31.0 yard average (leads league). 4 of 22 inside 20. Average start: 28 yard line.

Andre Roberts is now signed with the Carolina Panthers. So Chargers went out and found themselves another former Texan DeAndre Carter to return kicks and add depth to receiving group.

Not super excited like I was with Andre Roberts but have to say so far he’s been a pleasant surprise. He leads all WR’s in the Red Zone with 6 TD’s. He had himself a very good season last year in Washington.

Wasn’t he one of O’Brians favorite players? Never understood why, other than great character and willingness to do whatever needed. Hope it works out for him with best supporting cast to date!

Back