Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

And so it begins...

BradK10

Veteran
Because Mario doesn't produce in limited action in a meaningless pre-season game, the 2nd guessing by fans and the media begins. Good Lord.

Well when Reggie has an awesome run reminiscent of the Fresno St. game and Mario has 1/2 a tackle .... what do you expect? They gotta say something.

Titan "Tack" Fan said:
Well when Reggie has an awesome run reminiscent of the Fresno St. game and Mario has 1/2 a tackle .... what do you expect? They gotta say something.

heaven forbid they should mention facts and not overblown HOT AIR..I also want to know was anyone else disconcerted like I was by an obviously middle aged man (Butch Davis) trying to seem hip by saying of Reggie Bush's run "that was just sick":confused:

Titan "Tack" Fan said:

If by "they" you mean ESPN, yes. Everyone forgets that the Texans played the best game of preseason week 1, and attention is shed to Reggie instead. Personally, I could care less. I don't give a flip if he breaks ten 40 yard runs.

He is not in our division, and not even our conference. Who cares? The only time we have to meet young Reginald the Great is every four years (next year and on), and at a Super Bowl. I am prepared to meet him at both.

As for VY, well.... we sure didn't hear much about Mr. Invincible. Guess his game play merited as much attention as Marios... none. 4 of 11 attempts for like 50+ yards? Jeez... Jay Cutler makes him look like a chump.

In my opinion the only rookie runningbacks who made exceptional plays were Wali Lundy and Laurence Maroney. Everyone expected Reggie to bust a 44 yarder... I bet people are upset he didnt get more.

BigDTexansFan said:
heaven forbid they should mention facts and not overblown HOT AIR..I also want to know was anyone else disconcerted like I was by an obviously middle aged man (Butch Davis) trying to seem hip by saying of Reggie Bush's run "that was just sick":confused:

Some of the stuff Butch Davis said was so STUPID! It reminded of watching NFL Live! I thought the NFL Network was better than that.:brickwall

TexansLucky13 said:
If by "they" you mean ESPN, yes. Everyone forgets that the Texans played the best game of preseason week 1, and attention is shed to Reggie instead. Personally, I could care less. I don't give a flip if he breaks ten 40 yard runs.

He is not in our division, and not even our conference. Who cares? The only time we have to meet young Reginald the Great is every four years (next year and on), and at a Super Bowl. I am prepared to meet him at both.

As for VY, well.... we sure didn't hear much about Mr. Invincible. Guess his game play merited as much attention as Marios... none. 4 of 11 attempts for like 50+ yards? Jeez... Jay Cutler makes him look like a chump.

In my opinion the only rookie runningbacks who made exceptional plays were Wali Lundy and Laurence Maroney. Everyone expected Reggie to bust a 44 yarder... I bet people are upset he didnt get more.

VY didn't have that good of a game, but I will tell you something you won't see in his stats: In the 2nd quarter he threw a 60 yard bomb to one of our receivers who was on the run and had atleast 2 steps on the Corner, HITS HIM IN THE HANDS literally .... uncontested .... would have been a TD. But for someone who was there and saw Vince play every down, he looked mediocre. He made some amazing throws and some horrible throws. To be expected.

But yeah my point is they've gotta talk about Reggie, Vince, and Mario. And Reggie had the best night so they will talk about him the most.

Titan "Tack" Fan said:
VY didn't have that good of a game, but I will tell you something you won't see in his stats: In the 2nd quarter he threw a 60 yard bomb to one of our receivers who was on the run and had atleast 2 steps on the Corner, HITS HIM IN THE HANDS literally .... uncontested .... would have been a TD. But for someone who was there and saw Vince play every down, he looked mediocre. He made some amazing throws and some horrible throws. To be expected.

But yeah my point is they've gotta talk about Reggie, Vince, and Mario. And Reggie had the best night so they will talk about him the most.

Alas, I was not there, so I can only take your word for it. The accounts I have heard so far are pretty much in line with what you have just stated.

Yea... ESPN pimps Reggie, and that will never end. How did RB run, anyways? Did he run low or did he take unnecessary hits?

TexansLucky13 said:
Yea... ESPN pimps Reggie, and that will never end. How did RB run, anyways? Did he run low or did he take unnecessary hits?

Man to be honest with you, Reggie looked really really good. He ran low and kept his head down. He looked really good inbetween the tackles (and obviously good outside the tackles). He looked like a pro.

Titan "Tack" Fan said:
Man to be honest with you, Reggie looked really really good. He ran low and kept his head down. He looked really good inbetween the tackles (and obviously good outside the tackles). He looked like a pro.

Well, I wish the best for him... when it comes down to it. As I said before though, he is in the NFC so he is no bother to you nor to me.

I must only hope that Vince doesn't learn how to leap over defenders.... :rolleyes:

I support Mario 110%

Titan "Tack" Fan said:

hmmm...... one run for 44 yards, and that team still couldn't get into the endzone.....

I think they needed Reggie more than we did.

I did like his second run, where he stayed between the hashmarks, and drove a pile of defenders for about 5 yards.

but that run wasn't all that...... he went left...... everybody went left.. he turned it around, and came right.... there wasn't but two people in front of him. The defender took a bad angle(and that won't happen against real teams), and the other guy was blocking.

he took a pretty good lick from PacMan.... Duece would have run him over...

I was expecting to see them to line him up in the slot, or motion him out. But they kept putting him back there as a single back.

I didn't think much of his blocking though.

People are gonna compare the 3 players every single week of the season but the comparisions should not be taken too serious because of the fact that Young and Bush are offensive players as a matter of fact 2 of the most glorified position on the entire teams so everything that they do is gonna seem spectacular. Young's responsibilities include throwing the ball for TDs and running if need be.. Bush's include running and catching.. these very few things can guage how well their position is going..

Mario is a DE, he impact can not just be gauged by sacks and tackles... you have to think about.. how much is he helping the people around him?, how many pressures did he have? How many doubles or triples did he get? How many times did a back chip off to block him? How good was he at outside containment? How was he at block up passing lanes for the QB? How many times was he held and the refs didnt see it?.. so he's got a heck of a climb on his hands before people respect him in the media but I know the nusances of the position so I applaud him for what he's doing..

I said this last, I know a little something about the DLine.

Let me say this about Mario...................

He did a darn good job tonight, he stayed in his rush lanes, stayed at home with his outside arm free forcing the ball back inside to the LB and DTs.
Played with good pad level and looked like he fit right in.

It IS VERY HARD to get sacks when a team dominates the run like the Chiefs so just cause he did not have any sacks says nothing, I garuntee if the guy had all game he would have got him self maybe a couple of sacks.

He did good, he did his job.

I am not ready to throw gas on Mario and light a match yet. He is a rookie and being asked to do different things than what he did in college. Its going to take time for his to settle in ad feel comfortable with moving up and down the line. He is going to have to form a technique that he is comfortable with. That being a swim, rip, or club or some sort of variation. Reggie White I am sure didn't didn't develop his club until later on in his career.

As far as Butch Davis goes he ranks up there with Dom Capers on destroying a franchise. He is no evaluator of talent, and didn't he draft Courtney Brown with the number one over all? He is merely a talking head that reads a TelePrompTer.

Titan "Tack" Fan said:

Reggie ran against the Titans. Not downplaying his ability, but 21 teams were better against the run last year. Hardly an accomplishment.

I was trying to look up and find out how Reggie White and Julius Peppers did in their very first preseason games. I would find it hard to believe they did much more. I was at the game and honestly focused my attention on Demeco for the most part; I was impressed with his reactions and his instincts. I'll watch the tape and get a better read on Mario. Once he makes a few plays people will back off.

IMO implying anyone is a bust after 1 preseason game is premature. ESPN ragging on Mario or anyone else for that matter for not having an outstanding game is like one of the supermarket tabloids running a story saying "Vampirism is down due to fear of AIDS".

In the first couple of games, I think we should be looking for standouts like Lundi. If you are not seeing production from someone by the 4'th preseason game, that's when the concern should start.

The TEAM looked pretty good last night, I think we are on the right road.

BradK10 said:
Because Mario doesn't produce in limited action in a meaningless pre-season game, the 2nd guessing by fans and the media begins. Good Lord.

The Mario doubters were as excited as children on Christmas Eve, their fingers trembling with anticipation an inch above the keyboard waiting to bash away at Mario if he did not destroy the Chiefs on every play.

Shallow-minded and premature to say the least.

HeartofHouston said:
People are gonna compare the 3 players every single week of the season but the comparisions should not be taken too serious because of the fact that Young and Bush are offensive players as a matter of fact 2 of the most glorified position on the entire teams so everything that they do is gonna seem spectacular. Young's responsibilities include throwing the ball for TDs and running if need be.. Bush's include running and catching.. these very few things can guage how well their position is going..

Mario is a DE, he impact can not just be gauged by sacks and tackles... you have to think about.. how much is he helping the people around him?, how many pressures did he have? How many doubles or triples did he get? How many times did a back chip off to block him? How good was he at outside containment? How was he at block up passing lanes for the QB? How many times was he held and the refs didnt see it?.. so he's got a heck of a climb on his hands before people respect him in the media but I know the nusances of the position so I applaud him for what he's doing..

Couldn't have said it better.

Plus ESPN is all about the fantasy numbers, not the hardwork play in the trenchs that makes it possible for the RBs and the QBs to do there things.

Mario Willams is going to be a pro bowler. What impressed me about the game is we collected five sacks while giving up none and collected two take aways. We also ran the ball effectively, we gained more yards on the ground than the Chiefs high octane offense gained in the game. This team is on their way up.

See..im in Houston with my family and I watched the game with my Dad. He was getting angry with Mario cause he didnt see him doing anything special.

So I sat and tried to explain to him that if a defensive end got one sack per game, he would end the season with 16 sacks ..which is HUGE... that would probably lead the league.

Anyway..I told him that the job of the DE is to keep people from running through his area..and put pressure on the QB. Sacks are what a great DE gets SOMETIMES.. but not all the time.

Last night I saw Mario holding down his spot. I distinctly remember the chiefs start a run to his side.. and Mario "HEAVED" the tackle in front of him away, and reared up at the chiefs RB.. who very quickly changed direction and ran the other way.

Dont get me wrong, im not saying that id be happy if Mario went the whole season with just a few sacks. I want to see him earn his paycheck.. but im not gonna fret over taking him #1 when he only played for one quarter, and looked very solid.. he just didnt get 3 sacks or anything.

I bet that come the 3rd or 4th quarter..when that tackle has been trying to hold mario back for 30-45 minutes.. that guy is gonna start getting tired, and Mario is gonna start getting through. THATS when I want to be impressed by Mario's superhuman athleticism.

Grid said:
See..im in Houston with my family and I watched the game with my Dad. He was getting angry with Mario cause he didnt see him doing anything special.

So I sat and tried to explain to him that if a defensive end got one sack per game, he would end the season with 16 sacks ..which is HUGE... that would probably lead the league.

Anyway..I told him that the job of the DE is to keep people from running through his area..and put pressure on the QB. Sacks are what a great DE gets SOMETIMES.. but not all the time.

Last night I saw Mario holding down his spot. I distinctly remember the chiefs start a run to his side.. and Mario "HEAVED" the tackle in front of him away, and reared up at the chiefs RB.. who very quickly changed direction and ran the other way.

Dont get me wrong, im not saying that id be happy if Mario went the whole season with just a few sacks. I want to see him earn his paycheck.. but im not gonna fret over taking him #1 when he only played for one quarter, and looked very solid.. he just didnt get 3 sacks or anything.

I bet that come the 3rd or 4th quarter..when that tackle has been trying to hold mario back for 30-45 minutes.. that guy is gonna start getting tired, and Mario is gonna start getting through. THATS when I want to be impressed by Mario's superhuman athleticism.
Well said, Grid! texanpride

Back