Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing 2022 draft thoughts thread

Since we're throwing out hypotheticals this is a realistic but highly unlikely scenario of what is possible with a trade down, a trade of Derrick and a trade up.

Trade #1 Trade down from #2 to #10 and pickup # 44.
Trade Derrick for pick 24 and pick 56
Trade pick 68 and 4th rd pick Rams pick say pick 110 for pick 50.

10. OG, Green- Texas A&M
24. CB, Kendrick- Georgia
34. Texans pick OG, Kinnard- Kentucky
50. DE, Hall- Houston
56. S, Brisker- Penis St.
90. Saints pick RB, Charbonnet- UCLA

That's 6 top 100 picks And from the trade down you would have your high pick in the 2023 draft and a 1st from the trade down from #2 to #10. Plus another 1st from the Derrick trade. So you would be set up in the 2023 draft to have 4 of the top 40 picks.

This was an example of what can be done and not the exact players. Some of these players may be gone but there will be comparable talent available at these draft slots.

Like someone already said (Arlington?) years we have ammo are the weakest in talent, so it seems. QB’s top of the board in 2021 drove teams to new heights of talent swaps just to get their guy, don’t see that guy this year, heck nobody can agree on #1 overall? Would like to see picks stretched out over 2-3 years to capture more value/talent, hitting core needs as they go.

Traits, traits, traits and how well they translate next level.

Thibodeaux is getting double teamed alot.

He's really good, but not in the Myles Garrett or Watt mode kind of good. IMHO

If the Texans can find a team that wants a QB to trade with they should do it as long as they dont drop out of the top 10-12. IMHO

Like someone already said (Arlington?) years we have ammo are the weakest in talent, so it seems. QB’s top of the board in 2021 drove teams to new heights of talent swaps just to get their guy, don’t see that guy this year, heck nobody can agree on #1 overall? Would like to see picks stretched out over 2-3 years to capture more value/talent, hitting core needs as they go.

It just takes one team willing to trade up and a little luck in the Derrick trade sweepstakes.

If things go down like the scenario I provided you could spread the three 2023 picks out to 2024 and longer if you wanted too. In fact if possible Caserio should stretch the the picks out.

Adding 6 players from the top 100 and another 5 or so from the 2023 draft would make this team look alot better pretty quickly. In fact you could look at Mills all 2022 and if you dont like what you see you could use the 2023 firsts to move up and get your QB if you needed too.

Since we're throwing out hypotheticals this is a realistic but highly unlikely scenario of what is possible with a trade down, a trade of Derrick and a trade up.

Trade #1 Trade down from #2 to #10 and pickup # 44.
Trade Derrick for pick 24 and pick 56
Trade pick 68 and 4th rd pick Rams pick say pick 110 for pick 50.

10. OG, Green- Texas A&M
24. CB, Kendrick- Georgia
34. Texans pick OG, Kinnard- Kentucky
50. DE, Hall- Houston
56. S, Brisker- Penis St.
90. Saints pick RB, Charbonnet- UCLA

That's 6 top 100 picks And from the trade down you would have your high pick in the 2023 draft and a 1st from the trade down from #2 to #10. Plus another 1st from the Derrick trade. So you would be set up in the 2023 draft to have 4 of the top 40 picks.

This was an example of what can be done and not the exact players. Some of these players may be gone but there will be comparable talent available at these draft slots.
Like. I didn't think it is clear from your post, but trading down from #2 to #10 is a point differential of 1,300 far more than the 460 points of the #44 pick. The difference is where the 2023 #1 pick comes from.

Trading down would be very lucrative for the Texans.

After everything we’ve seen and been through, there is just no conclusive evidence anything is going to somehow miraculously change. I’ll believe it when I see it.
We will see, I choose to believe things will be better because I'm a fan of the Texans and I like some of what Caserio has done.

History says you will more likely be right than me. Hope you're wrong.

After everything we’ve seen and been through, there is just no conclusive evidence anything is going to somehow miraculously change. I’ll believe it when I see it.
"Miraculous change"? Who can definitely say what is miraculous? Likely not. But designed change? I would say yes, very likely, based on the limited data we have to go on. But then again, yes or no depends on a person's personal idea what constitutes change.

"Miraculous change"? Who can definitely say what is miraculous? Likely not. But designed change? I would say yes, very likely, based on the limited data we have to go on. But then again, yes or no depends on a person's personal idea what constitutes change.

Texans need breaks, luck, good processing, none of which we've seen in the past two years, anything short of some kind of miraculous event to turn this ship around.

I'm more pragmatic. We need drafts. Which we're going to get in 2022 and 2023. Although admittedly, they need to be smart drafts. And for this I'm encouraged by Caserio's first draft.

I don’t blame any Texan fan for being hopeful, the fact we still exist here is proof of that, I’m just not as confident after feeling snakebite last 20 years. Caserio first abbreviated draft does little to dispel my fears, but I’m not here to bash all hope, just be guarded to see what happens with all these expected future blue chip draft picks. How he builds and constructs the future Texan roster in all three phases.

Last edited:
I don’t blame any Texan fan for being hopeful, the fact we still exist here is proof of that, I’m just not as confident after feeling snakebite last 20 years. Caserio first abbreviated draft does little to dispel my fears, but I’m not here to bash all hope, just be guarded to see what happens with all these expected future blue chip draft picks. How he builds and constructs the future Texan roster in all three phases.
I too am encouraged by his first go round.
Nico Collins will be a good #3 or even #2 receiver. Roy Lopez is showing promise.
Davis Mills is still so raw - it will be another full season with a better running game to decide if he is a starter or a back up.
Brevan Jordan has also shown a little promise and TEs invariably need a year or two to develop fully in this league.

Last edited:
I'm more pragmatic. We need drafts. Which we're going to get in 2022 and 2023. Although admittedly, they need to be smart drafts. And for this I'm encouraged by Caserio's first draft.
I agree.

We have to start with where we are & the biggest issue is QB. We've been there before & we're here again. It is what it is & they appear to be working on it. I don't agree with drafting Davis Mills with that third round pick, but... whatever.

Then we have to look at the young talent we do have on the team. O'Brien screwed us, but we do have Jacob Martin (better than Whitney Mercilus), Greenard, Howard, Akins, Pharoh & they added Lopez, Collins, Jordan

I'm not saying that's the core of the team, but something to work with going forward.

I don't think we need a miracle. Build a good defense, build a good run game, then find a QB. OR find a QB, build a good defense, build a good run game. As long as we work on all of it (including ST) & not focus on anyone more than the other the way Kubiak did, the way O'Brien did... we'll be ok.

& don't waste 6 years trying to make a QB into something he is not. Like Capers did.

I don't watch that much college ball, except when the post season P/Os begin, but did watch some of the Mich-OSU game.
That back from Michigan was very impressive but so was his Oline because those guys were moving bodies and opening up holes for their backs.
I look to other guys on the Board like Steel, Bad Boy, BL, and others for info on such things as competent OLine play but even a bozo on that topic like yours truly picked up on how effective, actually I guess dominating the Wolverines OLine was Saturday.
If you don't think so, check out what a real authority on the subject like former Oakand HC & broadcaster John Madden had to say to Michigan's coach:
"https://www.maizenbrew.com/2021/11/...jim-harbaugh-john-madden-big-ten-championship
The Hall of Fame, Super Bowl winning coach loved the physicality Michigan’s o-line exhibited.

“That was quite a text from John Madden -- as he said in the text, ‘as a former offensive lineman I really appreciate offensive line play’, and that performance in that game was as good as he’s ever seen,” Harbaugh said.

Harbaugh told offensive line coach Sherrone Moore to keep that on his phone forever.
I dunno sure hope Casserio takes a look see at that group and considers hiring their Oline coach ?

Last edited:
I look to other guys on the Board like Steel, Bad Boy, BL, and others for info on such things as competent OLine play but even a bozo on that topic like yours truly picked up on how effective, actually I guess dominating the Wolverines OLine was Saturday.
If you don't think so, check out what a real authority on the subject like former Oakand HC & broadcaster John Madden had to say to Michigan's coach:
"https://www.maizenbrew.com/2021/11/...jim-harbaugh-john-madden-big-ten-championship
The Hall of Fame, Super Bowl winning coach loved the physicality Michigan’s o-line exhibited.

“That was quite a text from John Madden -- as he said in the text, ‘as a former offensive lineman I really appreciate offensive line play’, and that performance in that game was as good as he’s ever seen,” Harbaugh said.

Harbaugh told offensive line coach Sherrone Moore to keep that on his phone forever.
I dunno sure hope Casserio takes a look see at that group and considers hiring their Oline coach ?

I saw the same thing (Post #28). Harbaugh came through the Power Blocking Scheme and has brought that to all his stops in his Head Coaching career. He always seems to find the OL coaches, linemen, and running backs who fit his scheme.

I was truly hoping that Caserio, Culley, Campen, and Barrett was going to pick up a FB during the Bye Week to put in the backfield with Freeman. In all honesty, I think a true FB would be far more effective than using the TE’s within the schemed running game and Freeman would be the benefactor of said move.

I agree.

We have to start with where we are & the biggest issue is QB. We've been there before & we're here again. It is what it is & they appear to be working on it. I don't agree with drafting Davis Mills with that third round pick, but... whatever.

Then we have to look at the young talent we do have on the team. O'Brien screwed us, but we do have Jacob Martin (better than Whitney Mercilus), Greenard, Howard, Akins, Pharoh & they added Lopez, Collins, Jordan

I'm not saying that's the core of the team, but something to work with going forward.

I don't think we need a miracle. Build a good defense, build a good run game, then find a QB. OR find a QB, build a good defense, build a good run game. As long as we work on all of it (including ST) & not focus on anyone more than the other the way Kubiak did, the way O'Brien did... we'll be ok.

& don't waste 6 years trying to make a QB into something he is not. Like Capers did.
O'Brien did more to ruin this team than any other coach of any other team I have seen in the last 15 years and likely much more.
For mine, it all started when we lost Duane Brown.
Making a QB into a serviceable QB is a coaches job.
Davis Mills is still as raw as they come and has had to do it without an effective running game - even top tier guys need a good running game to really mix it up.

It's early, but what I'm reading today changes my mind about our 2nd round pick.

I'm still trading down and selecting Kenyon Green, who would be plug and play at LG.

But then with #34, rather than defense, I'm liking Kentucky's mammoth talent Darian Kinnard, who projects to RG. And if possible, I'd trade up several spots to take him in the bottom of the 1st round, so to have a 5 yr contract.

The pair of Green and Kinnard would solidify our offensive interior for 5 years, baring injury, and would anchor a power running game as well as providing a wall in the passing game.

The worry of course is that he may be taken higher and not available.
I like where you're going.
Do you think Linderbaum is a bit on the small side?
I'm thinking Lindstrom might be a better pick for C. Or Patterson from ND?

I think the Texans could focus their efforts on a couple of Centers about RD4 and on. The two I would be looking at:

John Michael Schmitz (6-4 @ 320 lbs) Minnesota

Ricky Stromberg (6-4 @ 310 lbs) Arkansas

Both of these guys play the position with a nasty demeanor and a desire to crush opposing defenses. Both are viewed as high IQ players which should be an absolute trait the Texans would look for in a future Center.

Yes, I think Lindstrom is too small. I do like Patterson but right now I'm looking at Texas Tech's Dawson Deaton.

I've seen negative comments on Patterson that his size is not exceptional and doesn't have good length. I think this is referring to arm length.

Deaton has long arms, has good athleticism and good lateral mobility for pulling. He's injury free with three years in a passing offense and experience with blitzes. His negative is not a lot of run blocking experience. But with his long arms, athleticism and mobility, I think he would fit in exceptionally well between Green and Kinnard.

I think the Texans could focus their efforts on a couple of Centers about RD4 and on. The two I would be looking at:

John Michael Schmitz (6-4 @ 320 lbs) Minnesota

Ricky Stromberg (6-4 @ 310 lbs) Arkansas

Both of these guys play the position with a nasty demeanor and a desire to crush opposing defenses. Both are viewed as high IQ players which should be an absolute trait the Texans would look for in a future Center.
Stromberg is on my short list for C's, along with Patterson, Deaton and Utah's Nick Ford.

Looking at the notes I'm beginning to compile, I'm seeing comments regarding his footwork and lateral agility.

Footwork and lateral agility are among Deaton's strong points.

The way I'm seeing it, as a mauler, Stromberg likely has an edge in run blocking; whereas Deaton likely has the edge in pass blocking.

The reason I'm favoring Deaton at this early point is his lateral agility, which allows him to pull effectively and, particularly in a pass offense, to "be effective in front of screens". And in the run game, "to get out in front of ballcarriers to take out defensive backs and linebackers".

Last edited:
I saw the same thing (Post #28). Harbaugh came through the Power Blocking Scheme and has brought that to all his stops in his Head Coaching career. He always seems to find the OL coaches, linemen, and running backs who fit his scheme.

I was truly hoping that Caserio, Culley, Campen, and Barrett was going to pick up a FB during the Bye Week to put in the backfield with Freeman. In all honesty, I think a true FB would be far more effective than using the TE’s within the schemed running game and Freeman would be the benefactor of said move.

Why don't we just Hire Jim Harbaugh after we fire Culley next year? His time at Michigan is starting to wear thin and he definitely knows how to build a winner. I would be on board with him as HC

O'Brien did more to ruin this team than any other coach of any other team I have seen in the last 15 years and likely much more.
For mine, it all started when we lost Duane Brown.
Making a QB into a serviceable QB is a coaches job.
Davis Mills is still as raw as they come and has had to do it without an effective running game - even top tier guys need a good running game to really mix it up.

Agreed about things going downhill after trading DB.

BOB had nothing to do with that trade. In fact DB said he liked playing for BOB. That trade was all on McNair and RS.

Why don't we just Hire Jim Harbaugh after we fire Culley next year? His time at Michigan is starting to wear thin and he definitely knows how to build a winner. I would be on board with him as HC

What makes you think that Harbaugh might want to come to this shitshow where he would have even less power than he did in SF?

Caserio will find a way to get Watson out of Houston and gather some draft pick assets in the process. Texans could keep their current #2 slot or they may be able to move back if a team has decided not to wait for a QB to fall to them. Texans no doubt would need the extra picks to address the OL and RB spots and still hit on some solid players in an extremely deep defensive draft.

For me…..I’ve got to have the following guys on offense:
RD1: OG- Green (Texas A&M)
RD2: OG- Johnson (Boston College)
RD3: RB- Hall (Iowa St)
RD6: RB- Allgeier (BYU)
RD6: OG- Mays (Tennessee)
RD6: OC- Ford (Utah)

Extra RD1 / RD3 / RD3 and the RD4 / RD7 picks would be defense. Lovie has a better chance at improving his defense with an infusion of talent and provided the offense can stay on the field and actually score some points.

Caserio will find a way to get Watson out of Houston and gather some draft pick assets in the process. Texans could keep their current #2 slot or they may be able to move back if a team has decided not to wait for a QB to fall to them. Texans no doubt would need the extra picks to address the OL and RB spots and still hit on some solid players in an extremely deep defensive draft.

Extra RD1 / RD3 / RD3 and the RD4 / RD7 picks would be defense. Lovie has a better chance at improving his defense with an infusion of talent and provided the offense can stay on the field and actually score some points.

Love Green and would love to bring him home. However OG"s don't get drafted 1-2.

Give me Hutchinson or Stingley at 1-2 and then hopefully draft Kinnard at 2-34 and I really like Salter as an OG at 3-66. If I had to trade up slightly to get these guys I would trade up without hesitation. These are huge strong guys that can move. The OL will look alot better.

Love Green and would love to bring him home. However OG"s don't get drafted 1-2.

Give me Hutchinson or Stingley at 1-2 and then hopefully draft Kinnard at 2-34 and I really like Salter as an OG at 3-66. If I had to trade up slightly to get these guys I would trade up without hesitation. These are huge strong guys that can move. The OL will look alot better.

Texans should have at minimum an RD1 pick and either an extra RD2or RD3 pick this draft.

The Texans have zero interior OL and therefore have no running game. I just don’t believe in the unwritten rules on how to execute an NFL draft. Green and Johnson would be massive upgrades in the middle. Either one would be a plus to Tunsil on the left side.

Set the unwritten rules aside and get this offense fixed.

Texans should have at minimum an RD1 pick and either an extra RD2or RD3 pick this draft.

The Texans have zero interior OL and therefore have no running game. I just don’t believe in the unwritten rules on how to execute an NFL draft. Green and Johnson would be massive upgrades in the middle. Either one would be a plus to Tunsil on the left side.

Set the unwritten rules aside and get this offense fixed.

How do you figure Caserio is going to have these extra picks? If you're talking about a Derrick trade I wouldn't bet on that being settled before the 2022 draft. Particularly since Derrick isn't doing depositions until February. Hope you're right. If Caserio gets those extra picks then my draft would look something like this.

Rd.1 Stingley
Rd.1 Green
Rd.2 Kinnard
Rd. 2 If I had to trade up some using 3-1/Rams pick Sam Williams DE Ole Miss.

4 premium players in 1 draft.

I just can't see our draft not emphasizing the offensive line, after the embarrassment our offense has been this year. With Campen's 26 years of experience playing and coaching the offensive line, the Texans better get this right.

Johnson is every bit as special as Darrien Kinnard and I’d have no issue with drafting Kinnard if he fell to the Texans in RD2 but with Johnson still on the board, I wouldn’t waste any picks trying to make a trade up for him. Both would provide a solid answer to the interior of the Texans OL.

I'm going to go all Wide World of Trades here, if the Texans pick is anything other than #1 what about a trade down scenario with the Steelers. Let the Steelers pick local college QB Kenny Pickett (Big Ben is done after this year and Rudolph/Haskins ain't it) and the Texans target OL while gaining additional capital. What would that look like if the Texans original pick is let's say 2 thru 5? Also nothing to do with trading Derrick in this scenario.

I'm going to go all Wide World of Trades here, if the Texans pick is anything other than #1 what about a trade down scenario with the Steelers. Let the Steelers pick local college QB Kenny Pickett (Big Ben is done after this year and Rudolph/Haskins ain't it) and the Texans target OL while gaining additional capital. What would that look like if the Texans original pick is let's say 2 thru 5? Also nothing to do with trading Derrick in this scenario.

With the Steelers sitting at 18 in RD1 (Picks #50, 82, 135C, 176C, & 236) what assets could they offer the Texans in return? Steelers might see Kenny Pickett fall right into their lap or they could trade up a few spots to get him. Getting him at #2-4 would be too high and expensive in relation to the draft capital they'd lose.

If the Steelers truly need a QB...and they do...to get them over the top, the Texans have one just sitting around twirling his thumbs. My bet, Watson would waive his NTC immediately if the Steelers were one of the suitors. His contract would be an issue but with Big Ben heading out the door and the Steelers being a pretty savvy group, I'd bet they'd find a way to get Watson's salary in the door. Bottom line, Steelers could win big with a QB.

Me, I'd have to ask:
RD1-18
RD2-50
RD1
RD2
RD1
RD2

Watson would make this team far more viable than any rookie QB if he's good to go and b/c he's entering his prime and not past it.

With the Steelers sitting at 18 in RD1 (Picks #50, 82, 135C, 176C, & 236) what assets could they offer the Texans in return? Steelers might see Kenny Pickett fall right into their lap or they could trade up a few spots to get him. Getting him at #2-4 would be too high and expensive in relation to the draft capital they'd lose.

If the Steelers truly need a QB...and they do...to get them over the top, the Texans have one just sitting around twirling his thumbs. My bet, Watson would waive his NTC immediately if the Steelers were one of the suitors. His contract would be an issue but with Big Ben heading out the door and the Steelers being a pretty savvy group, I'd bet they'd find a way to get Watson's salary in the door. Bottom line, Steelers could win big with a QB.

Me, I'd have to ask:
RD1-18
RD2-50
RD1
RD2
RD1
RD2

Watson would make this team far more viable than any rookie QB if he's good to go and b/c he's entering his prime and not past it.
Only reason I left the Texans QB asset out is due to his scenario being an unknown variable as it relates to resolving the off field issue(s). To the bolded, an asset they have that fills a need and sweetens the pot is Minkah Fitzpatrick. He's an UFA in 2023 and would more than replace Reid if Reid left next year, but combined they would be a good duo. I think the Steelers end up between slots 13 - 15. They will win 1 more game and miss the playoffs IMO.

Only reason I left the Texans QB asset out is due to his scenario being an unknown variable as it relates to resolving the off field issue(s). To the bolded, an asset they have that fills a need and sweetens the pot is Minkah Fitzpatrick. He's an UFA in 2023 and would more than replace Reid if Reid left next year, but combined they would be a good duo. I think the Steelers end up between slots 13 - 15. They will win 1 more game and miss the playoffs IMO.

I liked Fitzpatrick when he was coming out.

I ask for the Steelers

Rd. 1
Rd.2
Rd.3

Texans give up Rd. 4 Rams pick

Steelers

Rd. 1
Rd. 2

Texans give up Rd.4 pick

Steelers

Rd. 2

I ask for the Steelers

Rd. 1
Rd.2
Rd.3

Texans give up Rd. 4 Rams pick

Steelers

Rd. 1
Rd. 2

Texans give up Rd.4 pick

Steelers

Rd. 2

Are the Texans still getting Minkah Fitzpatrick in your scenario? If so, could the Texans throw Cooks into the deal and keep those RD4 picks?

Hmm...
Wouldn't this create a stir among Texans fans?!
I do like Pickett, but I dunno about taking him this high but I bet he is off the board by pick 20.
His combine/proday/interview will tell the story.
Let's see how much interest Texans shows him.

Aidan Hutchinson is saying the right things…

Had the opportuniy to watch Hutchison now and he reminds me more of TJ than JJ, probably because of size which also makes him
appear to be more suited fro 3-4 OLB instead of 4-3 DE.
I dunno who's the comparable for Thibodeaux ?
Hutchinson (6'6" 265 lbs) and Thibodeaux (6'5" 258") are both bigger than anyone the Texans are playing at DE.

My comp for Thibodeaux would be DeMarcus Ware. Great speed and bend off the edge.

Hutchinson (6'6" 265 lbs) and Thibodeaux (6'5" 258") are both bigger than anyone the Texans are playing at DE.

My comp for Thibodeaux would be DeMarcus Ware. Great speed and bend off the edge.
If the man has anything like the potential that Ware had coming out of college then he's obviously a tremendous prospect.

I want to say that Clowney also entered the 2014 NFL Draft with plenty of hype, game film, potential…..and an injury history that had two red flags waving.

We need to keep an eye on the other big WR in the draft……Arkansas, Treylon Burks. A 6-3, 220 lbs wideout that’s projected in RD1 or RD2. That’s going to depend on how the NFL teams view an Arkansas WR over the one’s entering the draft from Alabama, Ohio St, and USC. He could be gold at the top of RD2.
Yeah!! I’m down with him too!
Dude is another beast!!
I kinda like the QB there too. Jefferson!?! I think?!? He needs another year of college ball but he has serious talent.

I see PFF has already mocked Kenny Pickett to the Texans at 1.3 - after seeing AP giving him 3rd place in their top college players, I imagine his draft position will rise.
If he has a good pro day/combine, he could well wind up in the top 15 on draft boards.
If Texans move DW4 and get a first this draft, I can see NC taking him.

Back