AJ's (not Andre) offseason talk

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

from Jan 10th

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houst...rs-to-future-contracts?cid=channel-rss-Sports

2. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

If we get 2 franchise tags I'm thinking that Smith might lean to using both of them.

3. Blazin' Toro

Blazin' Toro The Underdog

This will cause a lot of controversy but I believe they should franchise Dunta again. Unless there is any quality CB's in Free Agency, I think the draft should be focusing on the OL and Safety.

4. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I agree and I think we will (unless he doesn't sign an extension.)

That said, if we do franchise him, I think we should give a legitimate effort in trading him. I feel that, given the lack of a salary cap, there's no reason not to tag him. You either tag him, trade him, and reap the benefits of a nice draft pick, or you tag him, overpay him, and reap the benefit of having a quality CB on your team.

With no cap constraints I really can't think of a reason not to do this.

5. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I say let him walk. I guess he's a decent CB, but after seeing David Gibbs get good production from two late round picks I'm inclined to believe that for once we can sign a decent CB and let guys develop.

Might be an uncapped year but, still I wouldn't tag Dunta "Pay me Rick" Robinson.

The good news that is that there's not a whole bunch of big contract guys we have to make tough decisions about. Sign Ryans and OD. No Brainer. I think Butler is a good swing backup. I'd like to see them offer Pollard a good contract. It's nice to see solid safety play for once.

Other then that we shouldn't have to offer big contracts to the other guys IF they are worth keeping around anyway.

6. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I'd offer him a top 10-15 contract. No matter what he thinks, he's not top 3 or top 5 quality. But when I slow down and think about it, I can't think of 10-12 guys who are head & shoulders above him at his position.

And for those who say "let him walk", I have two questions:
    (a) Can we reeeeally make a playoff run with two or three youngsters at CB? I mean, you're talking Reeves, Quinn, Bennett, Moulden, and McCain as our CBs. Are they playoff quality with no Robinson to stick on the other guy's #1? I'm not sure.
    (b) If not, how much would we have to give up to bring in equivalent talent level? Maybe I'm alone in this but I don't believe our secondary is deep enough to lose a starter quality CB and not replace him with like quality.

Does anyone want to burn up a 1st day pick on a CB when we need to bolster the OG/OC spot and find a quality RB or real FS with those picks?? And while I wouldn't mind trying to find more 2nd day nuggets like McCain and Quin, finding a stud CB is a shot in the dark. Seemed to work in GQ's case but not so much in Bennett's or Moulden's. So you'd like to bring in a proven player to replace a proven player. And that's gonna cost us.