AJs five reasons the Texans miss the playoffs

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Goldensilence, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houst...he-playoffs?cid=exrss-Houston-Texans-Examiner

Nothing we don't know but definately points out somethings that can trip this team up.

2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

AJ is just trying to keep things in perspective, to avoid reaching a state of "over-indulgent exuberance". :splits:

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

At this time of the year I say throw caution to the wind and predict a Super Bowl year. Then after game 1 we have a better understanding of what we do and do not have and then adjust optimism accordingly. I do not give this advice to those who are placing money in any gambling adventure.

4. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

It's a good article by AJ and certainly has merit. I'd like to make a few counter-points for a different perspective.

1. INJURIES- Obviously if we are ravaged by injuries, we are doomed for a bad season. However, our depth is quite good at a number of positions. I'm as big a fan of Schaub as anyone on these boards but I think this team could do quite well with Orlavsky seeing a month or so of time. Orlavsky has the arm and athleticism to keep safeties honest and also threaten the backside with bootlegs. The addition of Caldwell on the OLine is huge IMO. I was terrified last year that KStuddard or CWhite would end up seeing significant time. Caldwell can play center or guard and I believe he may end up beating out Briesel or MYers at some point. Also, everything I've seen from Rashod Butler tells me he will be more than adequate at either tackle spot should Brown or Winston go down. TE is ridiculously deep and an OD injury does little to threaten our season. Clearly the two most costly offensive injuries would be Slaton and AJ. In Slaton's case, it becomes tragic if Chris Brown gets injured as well (which is likely) but I still think we will do something to strengthen depth at RB. AJ would hurt but we could still manage due to our good depth at WR, particularly if Slaton is playing and causing a safety to walk into the box.

Defensively, LB depth is amazing. We have promising but unproven talent at CB. Clearly Mario would be a painful loss. However, even losing him, I think the addition of Barwin and A. Smith along with a more aggressive scheme and better coaching will allow the DL to be better than last season. Other than Mario, I worry most about an injury to Eugene Wilson. Our lack of depth and experience at FS could cause us a lot of trouble.

SO, overall, it would take a series of injuries to key players to derail us this year, IMO.

2. Defense slow to gel- I don't see this as a problem. Only 2-3 pieces are changing and they are clear upgrades. Also, Dunta is healthy and the new DC has been here for 2 years. Besides that, I think the players are eager to embrace a more aggressive style and will do so with excitement.

3. Players buying the hype- overconfidence isn't an issue for a team that's never had a winning record. As Dungy pointed out this off-season, confidence is the one element the Texans need to have a special season.

4. Turnovers- Better QB play, better defense, better running game will all help to limit turnovers. That being said, is our QBs take a step backwards this season that would suck!

5. Slow Start- considering we probably have to win 11 games to make the playoffs, any grouping of losses is going to dramaticly affect our chances. However, this year our early season schedule is much more favorable and we will be a more experienced team than we started out with last season. So, I expect a good start.

Our chances of success this year all comes down to how we play the division. We need 4 division wins to make the playoffs, IMO. So, can we split with Indy and Tennessee while sweeping Jacksonville? YES! But it remains to be seen if we will.

5. DoCRoN

DoCRoN Veteran

It's true; once you get really stoked about something, you increase the likelihood that it won't happen. You have to outwardly be like "whatever, i hope we make the playoffs, but if we don't, oh well" while you really do hope it happens.

The moral? Don't get too stoked.

:tiphat:

6. Blake

Blake MMQB

Good stuff. The Texans have been flakes for years. It would be no surprise for them to flake out on us again.

7. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

I respectfully disagree with aj on pretty much all accounts.

The Texans are deep this time around. Bulman, Barwin, Robinson, Diles, June, Bentley, Moldin, GLove, Bennett, Andre Davis, Anderson, Chris Brown, Ryan Moats, Rex Grossman, DanO, just to name a few.

This team has got talent through the first and second level. Now if we have to tap into the 3rd stringers then.........

Oh no not the "G" word. These aren't scrubs. And they are not rookies save 1. I don't see this as a problem. It's the same scheme with a coach that was on the staff last year.

Good. They should buy into the hype. They need to have the confidence that even when things are going badly they are still the Houston Texans and will end up with a "W" at the end of the day.

No Sage. Run the ball more. Not having to play from behind.

I know its all if's and butts, however that was last year and this is this year.

The 93 Oilers weren’t the 93 Oilers till they did what they done. Not to mention they are starting off, barring a hurricane, at home where they have gone 12-4.

In the end it’s all speculation.