Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ah, Jimmy, we hardly knew ya--

well they are repeating the same information pretty much everywhere - here it is again over at SI and Fox allthough it just says he turned the job down. - There both listed as rumors, but my gut feeling is - JJ has no interest in coaching again at this point unless he steps into a winning situation and gets a boatload of cash. He's in a cush job now - doesnt have to deal with players/owners and the league for the most part and only has to show up once a week to do taping. I'm sure he's paid pretty well for the show and then his endorsement stuff. There is little reason for him to come back and coach - he really has nothing left to prove anymore IMO.

http://msn.foxsports.com/name/FS/rumors
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/12/16/truth.rumors.nfl/index.html

U4ikrob said:
well they are repeating the same information pretty much everywhere - here it is again over at SI and Fox allthough it just says he turned the job down. - There both listed as rumors, but my gut feeling is - JJ has no interest in coaching again at this point unless he steps into a winning situation and gets a boatload of cash. He's in a cush job now - doesnt have to deal with players/owners and the league for the most part and only has to show up once a week to do taping. I'm sure he's paid pretty well for the show and then his endorsement stuff. There is little reason for him to come back and coach - he really has nothing left to prove anymore IMO.

http://msn.foxsports.com/name/FS/rumors
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/12/16/truth.rumors.nfl/index.html

One should never discount the method of operation of guys with 10 lb. egos, who try to stuff it in a 5 lb. bag.

A report on ESPN has said that Jimmy Johnson was reportedly turned down an offer from the Texans to become head coach and GM. I don't have a link to this, but hope to find it soon. Its all over ESPN news right now.

I think this is kinda of odd, because we just hired Dan Reeves, and nobody has been fired yet. Why would we offer somebody a job so early with Reeves not getting a handle yet on the team and nobody being fired.

Stay tuned.

Kaiser Toro said:
Jerek I would agree if he were their coach while we were in existence. As a former Cowboys fan I do not how fans could live with themsleves when they hired Parcells.

Well as a current Cowboys fan all I can say is when Bill decides to leave if Jimmy wanted to come back to coach the Cowboys I'd go pick him up at the airport! If the Texans could get Jimmy JUST DO IT! I think he's a great coach and perfect to turn this team around. If he doesn't want to coach again I can understand that too.

This kinda makes me think the writer hasnt a clue ....

....he is now considered a likely candidate to replace him after the season and be given total control of the football operations.

From reading several other articles and in other interviews w/ Mr. McNair I doubt he would give one person that kinda control . :pigfly:

I'm gonna flip on the radio here in a few and listen to McClain's Friday show...he'll know what the real scoop is. Well I hope he will. Jimmy is going to do what's best for Jimmy. He can afford that. He doesn't have to work anywhere if he doesn't want to. He's also a very competitive, complex man. If he's motivated to do something and wants to coach again I feel he could be persuaded ($$$)!

I don't know if this source is reliable or unreliable so we'll see how the world turns on this one.

The truth is why would Jimmy want the job. He has tons of cash, and a sweet gig with fox. I doubt he will leave for any team.

Coach C. said:
The truth is why would Jimmy want the job. He has tons of cash, and a sweet gig with fox. I doubt he will leave for any team.
Exactly. I've been saying the same thing as well...

The reports say JJ has no interest in coaching. There is no mention of him having or not having interest at GM.

I recall Pat Riley having no interest in coaching again when he joined the Heat's front office...stay tuned.

Our problem isn't the coach, it's the talent. Capers ran a hell of a defense in Pittsburgh because he had talent. Capers took an expansion team to the playoffs in only their 2nd year while in Carolina because he had talent.

Casserly has given Capers NOTHING to work with. You build your team around 2 solid offensive tackles and Casserly has failed to do that. Casserly passed on Julius Peppers and Dwight Freeney because they "didn't fit the system". Here's an idea, draft talented players and fit the system around them instead of trying to convert half-*** DEs into linebackers.

Why is Capers' head on the chopping block? Casserly is to blame.

Erratic Assassin said:
Our problem isn't the coach, it's the talent. Capers ran a hell of a defense in Pittsburgh because he had talent. Capers took an expansion team to the playoffs in only their 2nd year while in Carolina because he had talent.

Casserly has given Capers NOTHING to work with. You build your team around 2 solid offensive tackles and Casserly has failed to do that. Casserly passed on Julius Peppers and Dwight Freeney because they "didn't fit the system". Here's an idea, draft talented players and fit the system around them instead of trying to convert half-*** DEs into linebackers.

Why is Capers' head on the chopping block? Casserly is to blame.

I think its the coaches who devise the systems and the scheme's the team will play, not the GM. A lot of what you said is true, but you have blamed the wrong man. Capers is inflexible and can not deal with people who do not fit into HIS system. He can not adapt to his players and that's the problem. I believe Capers is also incapable of thinking on his feet when the pressure is on. Some people can and some people can't. I have often commented on this and I believe a sign of this is the notebook. If things do not go as planned Capers is incapable of adapting to and overcoming the problems at hand.

All these reports seem so shaddy with lot's of holes. That's why we can't count anything out except the fact that an overhaul is certain to come.

JJ just said on fox nfl pregame that he has no interest in the texans job, a gm job, or any job but the one he has

swtbound07 said:
JJ just said on fox nfl pregame that he has no interest in the texans job, a gm job, or any job but the one he has

Also said he was offered GM and HC and turned it down. That should squash anymore JJ rumors.

JJ did say today that McNair flew down to the Keys to talk to him.

I didn't read all the articles about this so I don't know if this was part of the published rumor or not, but someone a lot closer to the situation than I am told me off the record today that JJ was asking for $6-$8 million per year and that U of Miami's Randy Shannon would have been brought in as defensive coordinator as part of the deal.

Well, if that rumor is true, then he does have a price. Now, imo, lets pay the ransom and get on with winning some Super Bowls!

How many Super Bowls did he win with Miami? Just because he won a few with Dallas doesn't mean that he has the Midas touch where ever he goes.

Bobo said:
A.) Switzer has a SB tradition -- B.) Johnson didn't do so well in Miami. QUOTE]

A) Switzer used a team built by Jimmy, he could get job done without being able to recruit criminals like he did at UO, as to B) ownership was problem-- Jimmy wanted to trade Marino for picks to rebuild miami and ownership didn't want to piss off Marino or Dolphins fans. so Jimmy had to hold onto an aging QB who was never going to go until he felt ready, as to this rich history talk........Wade Phillips ain't his daddy Bum...so why not get Bum to come out of retirement instead of taking Jr. huh...makes about as much sense.

as to hating Cowboys, I live in Dallas area and had to hear all the garbage until we shut their mouths by kicking the other open end of a Dallas player. I don't care who coaches, I want someone who will come in and make us a winner.:redtowel:

Everyone that doesn't want JJ wishes to state his record in Miami...I'd advise ya to check your facts. He did quite well, and the coach that followed him did well also with JJ's picks. He's won, state high school championships, College national championships, and more Super Bowls than most NFL coaches. I'm inclined to believe a winner is just that, a winner no matter what position you place him in. So, lets quit skirting around the facts merely because we hate the Cowboys, or anything ever associated with them :)

tulexan said:
How many Super Bowls did he win with Miami? Just because he won a few with Dallas doesn't mean that he has the Midas touch where ever he goes.
If his hands aren't "tied" by the front office concerning player decisions (like they were in Miami over Marino), I truly believe that Jimmy could have this team in the plaoffs in 2-3 years, and playing for the Superbowl in 4-5.

Like Andy Reid, I make no promises past the Conference Championship game...:)

Back