Ah, Jimmy, we hardly knew ya--

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Nighthawk, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

Pro Football Talk, everybody's love-to-hate rumor mill, is "reporting" that it's source for the early [?] posting of the Reeves rumor was the SAME SOURCE as it had for the prior JJ OFFERED JOB & TURNED IT DOWN rumor. And that very same source is also now saying that JJ is talking to the Fords about the Lions job, which I know has been reported before, but is given slight additional credibility by the foregoing. Unless ALL of ProFootballTalk.com is like made up by the guy in the first place.

Still, it's a pi$$er that JJ would be interested in the Lions job and not the Texans job?

2. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Fords have bigger wallets

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

They also have a lot more talent to work with up there than we do

4. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Ford's Wallet.. if it is bigger.. isnt MUCH bigger. I beleive McNair is in the top 5 on the "wealthiest NFL owners" list.

5. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

One question that I have not seen asked, and I do not know the answer, is whether or not JJ's network contract is up. He may be leveraging his past and the hype into a larger deal.

6. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Clearly no one would go that far in getting a better contract!! ;)

7. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I don't know this for a fact but I would think Jimmy has some kind of "out" clause if he wants to accept a football coaching job. Just a thought. He'd make sure that FOX contract covered anything he wanted I'm sure.

8. rockabilly

rockabilly Veteran

Obviously the Fords own Ford. But what is it that McNair did or does to get his riches?

9. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

Actually McNair is worth more than Ford. According to the Forbes 400 in 2004. McNair is # 165 worth 1.5 Billion Dollars and made his money in the oil and gas industry. He is a self made Billionaire. While William Ford Sr inherited Ford and is ranked #278 and worth 1 billion dollars.

As far as franchise worth. The Texans are ranked #3 in the NFL and worth $905 million and the Lions are worth $747 milllion and ranked #14.

I would say that McNair has the deeper pockets.

eriadoc likes this.
  10. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

McNair is not completely self made since he had family with cash already, but he built what they had and became a billionaire. Also in the franchise worth are the Redskins and Cowgirls above us. We are in one of the largest football markets. I would guess NE and SF would be somewere around the top also. Kraft has some deep pockets.

11. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Don't forget Wal-Mart heir and co-owner of the Rams, Stan Kroenke.

12. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

eeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhh wrong.

McNair was poor before he was rich. He moved from Florida cause the business he was running there failed. He came here to start a trucking company.. i forget the details but the "basic" version is that his trucks did alot of hauling for oil and gas companies and such.. and then there were some big changes in the way energy is distributed in Texas.. and McNair found, from talking to his clients, that he could make a killing if he had a company that supplied energy at a premium to these big corporations.. so he did it.. and a few years later he sold the company for his billions.

So no.. he wasnt rich.. he didnt come from a rich family.. he made his money himself.

13. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

I wouldn't want "Mr. Cowboy" here anyway. I'd rather have somebody associated with the rich Houston football tradition of the past who would be fun to watch and support, such as Phillips (if McNair does fire Capers, which is not a sure thing).

14. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

Founded Cogen Technologies Energy Group, which was the largest privately owned cogeneration company in the US. Sold the company to Enron in 1999 for 1.5 billion.

Someone mentioned that his family had money but I don't believe that to be the case. He has talked about the poor neighborhood he grew up in, on several occassions.

Anyone know exactly how much of his own money he initially put into the franchise?

15. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

If I remember correctly.. his family owned a diner. I remember him saying that he took sandwiches to the construction workers across the street when he was a kid.

I beleive he put up about 300 million of it.. but im not positive.

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Myself I'd rather have somebody associated with the rich history of the Super Bowl which has up until now not coincided all that much with the "rich Houston football tradition" aside from a couple of years where we hosted it.

I will not have a problem with Wade Phillips coming here to coach if that ends up being the case. I believe that given the same number of years that Dom Capers & Co have been given Wade Phillips would at least have an imposing defense in place if not a little more than that. Wade would be fine by me. Jimmy Johnson would really get me excited about where this team was going and I think build another winner.

I don't put a lot of store in what I read on profootballtalk.com and I'll believe this when I see it.

17. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

A.) Switzer has a SB tradition -- you want him? Heck, even Billick has a SB under his wing. How about him? B.) Johnson didn't do so well in Miami. C.) We don't need the Cowboy "B" team here. We need a guy who knows something about the rich Houston -- not Dallas -- football tradition. The last person I'd want to see coaching Houston would be a Dallas guy. There is a strong contingent of Texans fans who despise the Cowboys. You would know that if you were there for the inaugural game. To bring a Dallas guy down here would be an insult to everyone who hates the Cowboys -- and there are plenty of us here who buy season tickets as well. Thank goodness, though -- it looks like that won't happen.

18. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

96: 8-8
    97: 9-7 *playoffs*
    98: 10-6 *playoffs*
    99: 9-7 *playoffs*

19. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

Seems to me that you are simply making my point. Two 9-7 records and an 8-8 finish isn't very good. They made the playoffs simply because the other teams weren't very good either. Plus, they had a way of getting humiliatingly exposed in the first round of the playoffs. Also, Miami was hardly an expansion team when Johnson took over. He should have done much, much better with that team than he did. Looking at the records and his accomplishments, Johnson's time in Miami was far from successful.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Of course, Marino being on the tail end or past it of his career (see steadily declining completion %), had nothing to do with the Dolphins success during that time period.