Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

AFC title game is validation for Ravens' Jadeveon Clowney ( or "the Jadeveon Clowney legend lives on")

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
THE TALK AROUND Rock Hill, South Carolina, was that when Jadeveon Clowney started peewee football, he looked like a man among boys. The locals would cast sidelong glances his mother's way, and when Josenna would insist he wasn't full-grown, that he was just the right age for peewee and she had the birth certificate to prove it, they'd concede, but not without indignation. "Fine," they'd say. "But don't let him hit my kid."

And there he was, some 15 years later in the summer of 2014, once again making everyone else look out of their league. The ink was barely dry on Clowney's rookie contract with Houston, and he was already doing unspeakable things to Denver's offensive line all week long in preseason scrimmage.
"Most guys, they'd take about three or four steps to get to you, to that point of contact," says Duane Brown, the Texans' Pro Bowl left tackle at the time. "And he was leaping off the ball and getting there in two." Brown had lined up against Clowney enough that preseason to relish the break these joint practices in Colorado afforded him. So he watched with commiseration when the Broncos' own Pro Bowl left tackle, Ryan Clady, flailed and whiffed and let Clowney make Peyton Manning's life downright miserable for the run of intersquad practices that week in August.
He's 30 now, still young for civilians but positively grizzled in NFL years, and when he says it out loud -- I'm 30 years old -- his eyes grow wide, like he can't quite fathom the passage of time. It has been 10 years since he entered the league, and in that time he has been deemed: the second coming of Lawrence Taylor; a letdown; the phenom he was supposed to be; a bust; a resurgent player; a recalcitrant player; a player, who -- this season, and here, with the Ravens -- is enjoying the renaissance of his career.

He has been everything to everybody -- fans, teams, himself -- but through it all, Brown says he has always remained Jadeveon Clowney. An idea, a presence, a force.
MAYBE IT STARTED when he played at South Pointe High and chased a guy down from about 80 yards -- his high school coach, Bobby Carroll, swears that's exactly how long the rundown was -- and tackled him short of the end zone, at the 4-yard line. Says Carroll: "When Nick Saban watched that play, he said, 'Hey, where is this guy? I gotta meet him.'"

It could've been the hit -- nay, The Hit -- his sophomore season at the University of South Carolina, when he bulldozed a Michigan running back in the Outback Bowl and the impact was so seismic that the runner's helmet flew off and up, as if some cosmic force had yanked it skyward. "I had Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Michael Strahan," says Mike Waufle, who spent 20 years overseeing defensive lines in the NFL. "I had Darrell Russell. I had Chris Long, and Robert Quinn, Kyle Williams, and Aaron Donald. You see a play like that, and you say, 'This guy is a game-changer.'"

Or perhaps it was just his aura. Johnathan Joseph, a teammate from his Houston days, remembers watching one-on-one blocking drills during Clowney's rookie preseason, and seeing his fellow Texans try to slide to the back of the line when they did the math and realized they'd be taking on Clowney. "You don't really see that in the NFL," he says. "We're all professionals. We're all supposed to be tough. But he was striking fear in guys from the first time he took the field."
Hey my boy Jadeveon is still getting the ink as here's quite a fairly lengthy piece about him in ESPN going into the AFC championship game this weekend.
I confess JDC is still one of my favs except Sunday when he's going up against my Chiefs (my top team only after our one and only Houston Texans).

THE TALK AROUND Rock Hill, South Carolina, was that when Jadeveon Clowney started peewee football, he looked like a man among boys. The locals would cast sidelong glances his mother's way, and when Josenna would insist he wasn't full-grown, that he was just the right age for peewee and she had the birth certificate to prove it, they'd concede, but not without indignation. "Fine," they'd say. "But don't let him hit my kid."

And there he was, some 15 years later in the summer of 2014, once again making everyone else look out of their league. The ink was barely dry on Clowney's rookie contract with Houston, and he was already doing unspeakable things to Denver's offensive line all week long in preseason scrimmage.
"Most guys, they'd take about three or four steps to get to you, to that point of contact," says Duane Brown, the Texans' Pro Bowl left tackle at the time. "And he was leaping off the ball and getting there in two." Brown had lined up against Clowney enough that preseason to relish the break these joint practices in Colorado afforded him. So he watched with commiseration when the Broncos' own Pro Bowl left tackle, Ryan Clady, flailed and whiffed and let Clowney make Peyton Manning's life downright miserable for the run of intersquad practices that week in August.
He's 30 now, still young for civilians but positively grizzled in NFL years, and when he says it out loud -- I'm 30 years old -- his eyes grow wide, like he can't quite fathom the passage of time. It has been 10 years since he entered the league, and in that time he has been deemed: the second coming of Lawrence Taylor; a letdown; the phenom he was supposed to be; a bust; a resurgent player; a recalcitrant player; a player, who -- this season, and here, with the Ravens -- is enjoying the renaissance of his career.

He has been everything to everybody -- fans, teams, himself -- but through it all, Brown says he has always remained Jadeveon Clowney. An idea, a presence, a force.
MAYBE IT STARTED when he played at South Pointe High and chased a guy down from about 80 yards -- his high school coach, Bobby Carroll, swears that's exactly how long the rundown was -- and tackled him short of the end zone, at the 4-yard line. Says Carroll: "When Nick Saban watched that play, he said, 'Hey, where is this guy? I gotta meet him.'"

It could've been the hit -- nay, The Hit -- his sophomore season at the University of South Carolina, when he bulldozed a Michigan running back in the Outback Bowl and the impact was so seismic that the runner's helmet flew off and up, as if some cosmic force had yanked it skyward. "I had Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Michael Strahan," says Mike Waufle, who spent 20 years overseeing defensive lines in the NFL. "I had Darrell Russell. I had Chris Long, and Robert Quinn, Kyle Williams, and Aaron Donald. You see a play like that, and you say, 'This guy is a game-changer.'"

Or perhaps it was just his aura. Johnathan Joseph, a teammate from his Houston days, remembers watching one-on-one blocking drills during Clowney's rookie preseason, and seeing his fellow Texans try to slide to the back of the line when they did the math and realized they'd be taking on Clowney. "You don't really see that in the NFL," he says. "We're all professionals. We're all supposed to be tough. But he was striking fear in guys from the first time he took the field."
Hey my boy Jadeveon is still getting the ink as here's quite a fairly lengthy piece about him in ESPN going into the AFC championship game this weekend.
I confess JDC is still one of my favs except Sunday when he's going up against my Chiefs (my top team only after our one and only Houston Texans).
I'm just glad he's no longer a Texan. Good riddance. This comes from a guy that wanted Clowney 1-1.

I'm just glad he's no longer a Texan. Good riddance. This comes from a guy that wanted Clowney 1-1.
I dunno who you would have taken @ 1-1 in that Draft instead of JDC ?
Name your player Steel (and you can't trade the pick) ?

I dunno who you would have taken @ 1-1 in that Draft instead of JDC ?
Name your player Steel (and you can't trade the pick) ?
If do-overs are allowed I'm taking Kalil Mack if trade downs not allowed. I wanted to trade down to 7-10 and take Aaron Donald after I saw him dominate the senior bowl

Never liked Clowney as a Texan. You look at his stats on the team and they are as close to identical as you can get which means he had plateaued or he was putting in what he considered just enough effort. Then his contract was up and he thought he was gonna reset the market till the market gave him a reality check. Now he's what, bouncing around on one year contracts and low dollar ones at that. His current deal is only worth 2.5 million then lots of incentives which is really the way to get the best out of I guess. He may have lucked out and landed on a team that is going all the way so good for him but I don't miss him around here.

Never liked Clowney as a Texan. You look at his stats on the team and they are as close to identical as you can get which means he had plateaued or he was putting in what he considered just enough effort. Then his contract was up and he thought he was gonna reset the market till the market gave him a reality check. Now he's what, bouncing around on one year contracts and low dollar ones at that. His current deal is only worth 2.5 million then lots of incentives which is really the way to get the best out of I guess. He may have lucked out and landed on a team that is going all the way so good for him but I don't miss him around here.
Clowney currently is performing (statistically atleast) at about as high a level as he ever did, and he has also overcome serious injury early in his career while here in Houston which included Microfractue surgery.
So Clowney has MOL been in the league for 10 years which is impressive longivity for any NFL player, especially one with JDC's injury history.

Clowney currently is performing (statistically atleast) at about as high a level as he ever did, and he has also overcome serious injury early in his career while here in Houston which included Microfractue surgery.
So Clowney has MOL been in the league for 10 years which is impressive longivity for any NFL player, especially one with JDC's injury history.

And? He has still bounced around the league like a tennis ball, he's on his 5th team and hasn't signed longer than a year on any team. Even his two years on the Browns were both 1 year deals till the Browns kicked him out. You are right that he is playing his best year since 2017 but his "high level" isn't really that high. He is doing just barely better than Will Anderson Jr in his rookie year and no where close to JJ even in his last year when his body was seriously failing him. So year a deal like Ravens offer for 2.5 million and then another possible 2.5 in incentives, I'd sign him for that. He has never lived up to his 1:1 draft spot though.

And? He has still bounced around the league like a tennis ball, he's on his 5th team and hasn't signed longer than a year on any team. Even his two years on the Browns were both 1 year deals till the Browns kicked him out. You are right that he is playing his best year since 2017 but his "high level" isn't really that high. He is doing just barely better than Will Anderson Jr in his rookie year and no where close to JJ even in his last year when his body was seriously failing him. So year a deal like Ravens offer for 2.5 million and then another possible 2.5 in incentives, I'd sign him for that. He has never lived up to his 1:1 draft spot though.
Why Mav you've truly shocked me ! I did not know that some players in the NFL were as mercinary as you seem to suggest ?
So far as to comparisons to others who played for the Texans, well you've kinda broadened out there, opened up the scope of your comments.

Why Mav you've truly shocked me ! I did not know that some players in the NFL were as mercinary as you seem to suggest ?
So far as to comparisons to others who played for the Texans, well you've kinda broadened out there, opened up the scope of your comments.

Clowney isn't doing it because he's mercenary he's doing it because no team is willing to sign for longer than one year.

Agreed. He’s never been “bad”. But rarely has he ever been a difference maker. And that is what you are supposed to be when drafted #1 overall.

He is in that tier of #1 overall picks with Alex Smith and Eric Fisher. Solid players, they each even made a couple pro bowls, but not difference makers.

Agreed. He’s never been “bad”. But rarely has he ever been a difference maker. And that is what you are supposed to be when drafted #1 overall.

He is in that tier of #1 overall picks with Alex Smith and Eric Fisher. Solid players, they each even made a couple pro bowls, but not difference makers.
Broadly speaking I agree that Clowney's career has not been that of a "difference maker" or as a generational talent like say an LT, but there's been individual games (with the Texans for example), where Clowny was the most prominent and difference maker defensivly.

IMO he’s thriving partly b/c of what Maverick’s saying but also b/c he’s not expected to be “the”guy..or even the guy next to the guy. Easy to ball when there’s nothing expected of u. He’s just 1 player on a team full of studs. Roquan, Hamilton and Queen..they openly embrace being “the” guy. Clooney could never handle it & Truthfully that’s been his issue throughout his career…he’s not a leader & has never embraced taking on that role b/c he could never handle the criticism that comes with it if u don’t perform.

Should have never been let go but ppl were ok with just having Watt here. Wish they had the same energy for Clowney

Wish Clowney would have had the same energy and passion as Watt
His knee has done remarkably well after surgery, but this is also a function of how little it was used in practices and relevant all-out stressful in-game snaps...........yet still an accomplishment.

That said, in all of his years in the NFL, he hardly took a snap during any TC. And during the regular seasons, he found every reason in the world to avoid practices, especially contact practices. He has never been a true leader (that includes going back to college).

He has never been able to accept the fact that he has offered only limited value and that this was legitimately recognized by teams by the way they have chosen to utilize him, mostly as a situational player.

Begin at 1 min 41 sec>>>>>>>>>

Wish Clowney would have had the same energy and passion as Watt
Yeah bc having Obrien for a coach as a rookie doesn’t affect your progression

tumblr_mhqc9iSDIg1qed7g8o2_400.gif

• Haha
Reactions: JB
His knee has done remarkably well after surgery, but this is also a function of how little it was used in practices and relevant all-out stressful in-game snaps...........yet still an accomplishment.

That said, in all of his years in the NFL, he hardly took a snap during any TC. And during the regular seasons, he found every reason in the world to avoid practices, especially contact practices. He has never been a true leader (that includes going back to college).

He has never been able to accept the fact that he has offered only limited value and that this was legitimately recognized by teams by the way they have chosen to utilize him, mostly as a situational player.

Begin at 1 min 41 sec>>>>>>>>>

Wonder what these guys are saying now that Clowney's gone and Stefanski is most likely going to be COY?

BTW, It's so good to be rid of the Derick/Clowney/Hopkins/Swearingen's of the world and have guys that football is important to them.

Clowney is the guy who made me somehow really appreciate Mario Williams work here in Houston. I wasn't really excited about Mario when we took him (I was stumbling around high on Reggie Bush highlights) but he kind of steadily did his job and at times did it very well. I was very excited about Clowney when we took him (stumbling around high on THAT highlight) but in the end it just always seemed like getting maximum effort out of the Clown was like trying to get blood from a rock. I agree with steelbtexan. It's good to be rid of guys who aren't focused.

BTW, It's so good to be rid of the Derick/Clowney/Hopkins/Swearingen's of the world and have guys that football is important to them.
What do you think about Justin Reed? He'll be playing in the Super Bowl. Personally I liked him, but didn't think he was irreplaceable. If I were him I can understand leaving Houston for a team like the Chiefs for the same money. For the Texans, as long as we get guys like Houston-Carson we're getting the same play more or less. Only thing is I'm not sure if we'd get the same play in the future, because of his age.

Back