Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Aaron Glenn Released - Signed by Dallas

uhcougar08 said:
But the question is: Would he have been better staying one more year (to teach PB) or is PB ready to rock?

Well.... you pretty much nailed why they chose PB over a corner in the draft,etc. He has had 2 years in the league and brings some experience over anyone we could have drafted...and they said PB was rated higher than anyone on the CB board this year. So he is ready.

PLUS.. we are clearing cap room for FAgent runs next year.

Sounds good to me.

Some questions answered in the chronic

...Texans coach Dom Capers met with Glenn the day the Buchanon trade was completed and gave Glenn the option of staying with the Texans, possibly in a reduced role, or exploring options with other teams.

Although at least two other teams were believed to be interested in Glenn, Dallas would seem to be a good fit. Glenn played for Cowboys coach Bill Parcells from 1997-1999 when both were with the New York Jets, and Dallas represents a destination not so far from home for the Nimitz High School and Texas A&M product....

...It is uncertain exactly when the Texans will release Glenn, who signed a five-year, $26 million contract extension in 2002. But when they do, it will save the team about $1.1 million on the 2005 salary cap. If they make the move before June 1 — and in all likelihood, they will — Glenn will be completely off the books for 2006 and beyond.

One of the Texans' top offseason priorities was to get younger and faster, especially on defense, where they have been a predominantly veteran team. Glenn will be 33 when the season begins. In Buchanon and Dunta Robinson, both of whom are 24, the Texans believe they have a pair of talented young cornerbacks.

Although the Texans would have more quality depth at the position with Glenn on the roster, the team also has high hopes for Demarcus Faggins, a 2002 sixth-round pick who was used extensively in the nickel package last season....

...Injuries limited Glenn to only 11 games in 2003, but he bounced back with a solid season in 2004, intercepting five passes and serving as a mentor for Robinson, the team's first pick in the 2004 draft. ...

well, aaron glenn is a very good player but we can't keep everybody unfortunately. our backs are pretty talented so it doesn't bother me to much that he was traded...but he is going to the cowboys.....SORRY, anyone else but them....gross...

:loser

Texanshot said:
well, aaron glenn is a very good player but we can't keep everybody unfortunately. our backs are pretty talented so it doesn't bother me to much that he was traded...but he is going to the cowboys.....SORRY, anyone else but them....gross...

He's not being traded. He'll be released and then signed by the Cowboys. Some papers are reporting it's a done deal.

Texanshot said:

better them than the "gulp" Titans or Jags .....

I don't see how any of you think this is anything more than dumping a salary of a 33 year old player who is in decline. It is cap managment in today's stark reality of the salary cap/free agency NFL. Sentimentality and blind loyalty to players will only get you left behind. If you think that Capers and Casserly enjoyed doing this to AG, then you don't appreciate the difficult decisions that they sometimes have to make. I, for one, am glad that both Capers and Casserly have the guts to make decisions that they both know will be highly unpopular. But like I said before with DJ thing, they don't have the time, or the money to waste on popularity contests.

Glenn was going to make $4 million in 2005, $4.25 million in 2006, and $5.5 million in 2007, when he was going to be 35 years old. He was getting injured a lot last year. His age is already beginning to show. He clearly did not deserve that kind of money. Releasing him now saves $1.1 million on the 2005 cap, and they will owe him nothing for 2006 and beyond.

Get used to this. Gary Walker and Steve McKinney are next, and I can't wait for that to happen, because they don't deserve the money that they are making either.

And uh . . Ibar Harry . . . you wouldn't have the slightest idea what the "big picture" was if it was put in front of you in high definition. :thumbdown

I think they're stuck with Walker. I'm not sure where I read it but it'd be a huge cap hit for them to get rid of him.

WWJD said:
I think they're stuck with Walker. I'm not sure where I read it but it'd be a huge cap hit for them to get rid of him.

I read it, too. But both of them should know that 2005 will be the last year for them.

TexansTrueFan said:
well i think we have a very good Front Office and i'm gonna assume they know what they are doing, and feel they are giving us the best chance to win in 05.

i agree. i think theres something about buchanon, johnson, and greenwood that we dont quite know.

SheTexan said:
I wouldn't pull for the cowgirls if my grandson played for them!
Did not say I would be pulling for the Cowboys, said I would have a player
to root for on the Cowboys team.
But since you mentioned it, don't understand the attitude towards the Cowboys because we only play them once every 3 or 4 years. I'm basically neutral about the team soon to be up in Arlington. I save my attitude for
our real nemesis which is our division rivals: they are the ones who stand between us and the playoffs more than any other team or teams.

Of course, those of you calling for him to be traded for an O-lineman need to remember that we will save money on this. If we combine that with the money saved from Sharper and Foreman we have enough to get a player if a good one comes available after June 1st.

nunusguy said:
Did not say I would be pulling for the Cowboys, said I would have a player
to root for on the Cowboys team.
But since you mentioned it, don't understand the attitude towards the Cowboys because we only play them once every 3 or 4 years. I'm basically neutral about the team soon to be up in Arlington. I save my attitude for
our real nemesis which is our division rivals: they are the ones who stand between us and the playoffs more than any other team or teams.

I lived there and didn't care for the people and thier stuck up attitudes, the cowboys represent them and there town, so thats why i love to hate them, put I do love watching Dat Nguyen!

nunusguy said:

There is a weird split in the state IMO. Up in Dallas, they either don't care about the Oilers/Texans or will root for them except when playing the Cowboys. Down here the priority is (1) for the Oilers/Texans to win and (2) for the Cowboys to lose--sometimes I am not sure they aren't actually reversed. Bizarre IMO, but it is quite evident it won't ever change.

uhcougar08 said:
I lived there and didn't care for the people and thier stuck up attitudes, the cowboys represent them and there town, so thats why i love to hate them, put I do love watching Dat Nguyen!
I've had the opportunity to see quite a bit of this country, and let me tell you that DFW is nothing like Seattle, or LA, or Denver, or Boston, or the SF Bay
Area, or Manhatten, or Chicago - get the picture ? The place that it is most of all like is that other very large metro area in Texas on the Gulf Coast. One is land locked praire country and the other is coastal praire country. The cultures are basically the same. Couple brothers (maybe not twins, but certainly very similar siblings), who are very competitive.
Oh yea, and theres the summer weather - the summers are horribly hot and
humid to be sure - in N.Texas. And yea, they are probably even worse in Houston.

I've looked at the Cowboys from many angles in this country .. my view has always been consistent..
Living in Cleveland ..hated em
Living in Phoenix .. hated em
Now in Houston .. still hate em :)

Oh! and briefly from Baton Rouge .. hated them from there too!

I started hating them when I moved to Houston in 1967. Was in the eighth grade at the time. It just pissed me off to no end that when I turned on Channel 11 on Sunday, it was a Cowboy game every cotton pickin fricken week.

Now, later on in 1967, there was a Cowboy game on that I thoroughly enjoyed. As a matter of fact, going through my memory banks, it was probably the most enjoyable game I ever watched. It was the Ice Bowl, watching my favorite quarterback Bart Starr sneaking it into the endzone with 13 seconds left.

GOD! That was soooo ****in sweet!

I used to hate the Cowboys, I really don't much anymore. My attention is focused on the Texans and the Cowboys are pretty much beneath my notice unless we're playing them. I enjoy seeing the Cowboys lose then of course.

I think that in a vague sense I still like to see the Texans win more games than the Cowboys (and obviously the Titans) but I don't spend much time thinking about it. I notice it but it doesn't define how good or bad the season was to me.

I know this is off topic, but I can't resist a chance to vent on the Cowboys. Here is how my hatred of the Cowboys started. When I was a young boy my mom told me you root for the HOME team. Since Houston was 80 miles to the west, that would make them the home team. It seamed that every time the Oilers played the Cowboys I was the only person rooting for the Oilers. :hmmm: Now why was that? AHHHhhh I learned later it was the old thing called the Bandwagon. This was back when the Cowboys were making there Super Bowl runs. (70's) As I got older and started reading the local paper. I noticed that the Cowboys would have an article about double the size of the Oilers. :thumbdown And the third strike!!! "AMERICA'S TEAM" I never voted on this.

Latest views out of Dallas are that they think he had a decent year last year, but his age is still a question; and that he only works of if accepts the nickle role. Also going ot depend on teh money, but the Boys have plenty of cap space.

I hate to see AG go, but then again an 11 yr vetrean at CB starts to become a bit worriesome.

i think these very insightful qoutes sum up this situation nicely and should be reiterated for certain user's...*cough*Ibar "the sky is falling" Harry*cough*...

Originally Posted by tacoman_j
Glenn could have played a reduced role here. This is all about ego; elite athletes are the last ones to believe that they have lost a step.

agreed 100%. remember just a few weeks ago everyone was surprised sharper took the seattle deal at alot less than he seemed to be asking here? i think that reflects the situation with glenn really well.

Originally Posted by Grid
These changes were going to come evenutally. Yah.. I would have liked to see Sharper and Glenn retire here too.. but really..they were never "OUR PLAYERS" to beging with.. they were drafted and played the bulk of their careers with other teams.

The real loyalty to the Texans is going to come from David Carr, Jason Babin, Dunta Robinson, Andre Johnson, Domanick Davis, and the rest of the players were drafted by us.

great perspective on the situation and i again agree 100% :thumbup the situation the texans are in is almost like the recruiting situation when hiring a new college coach. they come in and make due with what they have, but try to get their guys in as quickly as possible to build their vision of the team.

Originally Posted by Tailgate
Am I the ONLY one who thought Glenns play was slipping last year? He just seemed old to me. Every time I focused on him he just looked like he was a step behind every time.

Maybe its just me.

no it's not just you, i specifically remember as early as the detroit game thinking to myself "glenn is almost done". it's hard to see when it's outwardly apparent to fans that such a good palyer's days are numbered doing what he loves, but it makes it even harder when the player doesn't see it yet.

and everyone remember, pride seems to be a major factor in all of our vet's skipping town, this is not CC/caper's running them off without options or reasons. if anything CC/caper's should be applauded for the respect they showed glenn/sharper/foreman by giving them permission to shop themselves around and not stick them somewhere against their wishes. i think that shows the true class of our organization by acting in a very candid and genuine fashion to help player's who have helped build the texan's from ground zero. all break-ups suck, but i'll take dignified and respectful break-ups as opposed to the opposite (owens leaving SF, dillion whining his way out of cincy, moss' disgruntled departure from the vikes, etc, etc)...stay up all you true texan fans, if these are the lowest low's we've had to endure so far, we seem to have a bright future with this organization :thumbup

and everyone remember, pride seems to be a major factor in all of our vet's skipping town, this is not CC/caper's running them off without options or reasons. if anything CC/caper's should be applauded for the respect they showed glenn/sharper/foreman by giving them permission to shop themselves around and not stick them somewhere against their wishes. i think that shows the true class of our organization by acting in a very candid and genuine fashion to help player's who have helped build the texan's from ground zero. all break-ups suck, but i'll take dignified and respectful break-ups as opposed to the opposite (owens leaving SF, dillion whining his way out of cincy, moss' disgruntled departure from the vikes, etc, etc)...stay up all you true texan fans, if these are the lowest low's we've had to endure so far, we seem to have a bright future with this organization

Jrock,

That's a great take. The best I have seen so far. I hope a lot of people read this, because it is spot on. :thumbup

appreciate it Mojo, just trying to spread the good word! i don't know about half this board but i enjoy having a football team back in h-town, and the fact they are worth rooting for is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Bottle-O-Bud said:
wow.... uhhhhh we just let one of our best players walk w/o getting anything for him.

Generally in the business world if someone is encouraged to seek other options, it means that you are fired. IMO, Glenn didn't just walk, he could leave voluntarily with a few kind words, or out right cut. It became apparant over the weekend that he didn't fit into the Texans long range plans. Sounds harsh, but that's nature of the business.

I hope everything works well for him. I guess in support of him, I could wear my really nice authentic jersey to a Cowboys game. :cool:

Before we go to bashing A. Glenn lets take a look at this form a little different angle. If your boss came up to you and said we hired this new guy to do your job. He didn't out perform you. (Oakland had NINE INT's last year.) So we want you to take a pay cut. How would you react? Would look for another job? Lets look where the REAL problem is. The Texans finished dead last in sacks last year. Only 24 times did we put the other teams QB on his backside.

TexansNeedRBin05 you can already change your name to something else. your gonna be delighted to know we currently have five on the preseason roster, and they are as follows:

Jason Anderson
Domanick Davis
Tony Hollings
Adam Matthews
Jonathan Wells

not to mention we drafted Vernand Morency in the 3rd...your wish has been granted and dreams have been realized. you can change your name now thanks in part to CC and Co! :rolleyes: :heh:

jr0ck said:
TexansNeedRBin05 you can already change your name to something else. your gonna be delighted to know we currently have five on the preseason roster, and they are as follows:

Jason Anderson
Domanick Davis
Tony Hollings
Adam Matthews
Jonathan Wells

not to mention we drafted Vernand Morency in the 3rd...your wish has been granted and dreams have been realized. you can change your name now thanks in part to CC and Co! :rolleyes: :heh:

Hey, quick question....Isn't J. Anderson the guy who broke is leg last year? Also, give me more info on Adam Matthews

I always like to see the negativity come out when the team makes a move. By the end of the season when everyone realizes it wasn't a mistake to let Sharper, Foreman, and Glenn go all the people who questioned the moves will be saying they were behind it the whole way.

Buchanon right now is a better fit to start than Glenn. Glenn was the best defender in the 1st 2 seasons on a average to below average defense. He is small, doesn't have tremendous hands, gets beat deep, sulks when he gets beat, and is expensive for an average cornerback.

Sharper and Foreman were decent ILBs, but neither is pro bowl caliber. They both got a lot of attention because of the amount of tackles they had. It's a 3-4 defense. They are supposed to get a lot of tackles.

Those 3 weren't going to get better. The defense was too porous last season. Getting younger and better is a good thing and if Gary Walker is next I'll wish him the best, but I support the Texans no matter what they do. Hopefully some of the doomsday prophets will give up their season tickets so I can get more.

i figured by getting buchannon that we were finally going after INDY. now we are getting rid of glenn. some one plz help me makes sense of this. im :confused: about this

bigbag12 said:
i figured by getting buchannon that we were finally going after INDY. now we are getting rid of glenn. some one plz help me makes sense of this. im :confused: about this
Rotoworld.com states they expect Glenn to sign today with the Cowboys.I figured they would keep him around for one more year.......guess not.He has at least 2 good years in him....he was like a coach on the field to the younger guys.Good luck Glenn...........just not when your playing against the Texans :heh:

Considering that the Texans cut the following players:

Brown
Sharper
Foreman
Glenn

I'd say the Texans get at least 2 picks for Glenn & Sharper. The formula is based on production, experience & post season awards (Pro-Bowl). I feel that Sharper & Glenn meet these requirements, especially Glenn with the exp & Pro-Bowl. Sharper more so for the production and exp. Glenn might be one of the 3rd/4th rd Comp picks, with Sharper being a 4th/5th rd Comp pick.

So, who will be next?? Hopefully not any of the DL (Walker, Payne, DeLoach)!

Texans Release Former Pro Bowl Cornerback Glenn
Clears Room for Recently Acquired CB Buchanon

HOUSTON (April 26) - Cornerback Aaron Glenn, one of the original Houston Texans, was released by the team on Tuesday to clear room for Philip Buchanon, acquired in a trade with Oakland last week.

Coach Dom Capers met with Glenn, a 12-year veteran, shortly after the trade and offered him the option of reduced playing time or the chance to play with another team.

Glenn, who turns 33 in September, becomes the fourth defensive starter for the Texans to leave in the offseason. Inside linebackers Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman and strong safety Eric Brown were released in March, part of the Texans' offseason makeover of a defense that finished in the bottom third of the NFL for a second straight season.

Glenn played with the New York Jets for eight seasons before joining his hometown Texans in the 2002 expansion draft. He was selected to his third Pro Bowl in the team's first year but was limited to only 11 games in 2003 because of various injuries.

He rebounded with a solid season in 2004, intercepting five passes and making 63 tackles while serving as a mentor for Robinson.

04/26/05 13:03 EDT

The Texans team culture is being established through management's actions right before our very eyes.

1. There will be no sacred players who are beyond having to compete for their jobs.
2. The coaches and management will decide who plays, where, and how much.
3. Players who get fat contracts are expected to play up to those contracts. If they do not, Texan's management considers it their responsibility to manage those relationships for the best interests of the franchise.

I feel the Texans are doing what they need to do to succeed. Look where the team has been on defense for the past two seasons. Near the bottom of the NFL. I welcome all the moves Cass and Capers are making.

You have to remember that in the NFL, football is not only a sport - but a business. If you buy a new truck when your 16, then when your 25 you notice its over 100,000 miles and its not as powerful and productive and good on gas as when you bought it, you have to let it go. Sure it hurts cause it was your first truck, but you got to do it.

Why keep Glenn on for moral reasons? We are not here to be a nice team...we are here to be a winning one. Sure in a game like baseball, age doesnt have as hard as an effect. But in a full contact sport like football, age is a biggie.

Remember, our coaches and management are there for a reason....because they know more about the business/game than anyone on this board does.

bigbag12 said:

I agree with the move in terms of moving forward but the above statement is my exact feeling. :confused:

-- Texans Release Glenn --
Tue Apr 26, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

AP reports the Houston Texans, as expected, have released CB Aaron Glenn.

MikeMc said:
I'd say the Texans get at least 2 picks for Glenn & Sharper. The formula is based on production, experience & post season awards (Pro-Bowl). I feel that Sharper & Glenn meet these requirements, especially Glenn with the exp & Pro-Bowl. Sharper more so for the production and exp. Glenn might be one of the 3rd/4th rd Comp picks, with Sharper being a 4th/5th rd Comp pick.

So, who will be next?? Hopefully not any of the DL (Walker, Payne, DeLoach)!

You do not get compensatory picks for players you release, only players who leave through free agency. Sharper, Foreman, Brown and Glenn will not bring us any compensatory picks.

TexAntagonise said:
Before we go to bashing A. Glenn lets take a look at this form a little different angle. If your boss came up to you and said we hired this new guy to do your job. He didn't out perform you. (Oakland had NINE INT's last year.) So we want you to take a pay cut. How would you react? Would look for another job? Lets look where the REAL problem is. The Texans finished dead last in sacks last year. Only 24 times did we put the other teams QB on his backside.

The analogy is flawed... suppose your boss told you that he was bringing in a guy who had alot more potential than you; was young enough to do it for many, many more years than you; and that he cost literally a fraction of what you cost to do it?

Like Jay Mohr says in Jerry McGuire... "It aint show friends, it's show business"

:)

TexanBacker93 said:
Hopefully some of the doomsday prophets will give up their season tickets so I can get more.

You are absolutely brilliant!!! I am going to start a major negativity campaign encouraging fans to sell their season tickets so I can snap them up... If I generate some extras, I'll send 'em your way!
:)

This whole thing has been botched to the highest degree. I don't care what kind of spin the Texans or the fans put on this. Basically, what we did was trade PB for three players. While admitting that the draft is a bit of a crapshoot, let's take a look at how the draft could have gone for us. In round two, Khaliff Barnes was available. He was a steal in rd 2. We could have put him at LT, and solved that problem for the next decade, after at most, a one yr grooming process. Wand becomes quality depth at LT and RT. In round three, Kevin Everett was available. A young pass catching TE with good upside, who at worst would provide quality depth, and insurance against Joppru's issues. Or, we could have gone with a young corner to groom behind Glenn. Instead, we lose Glenn, Everett, and Barnes, (or thier equivelent) and replaced him with PB, a young speedy corner with a penhent for gambling and losing. While this trade clearly does upgrade our return game, can anyone HONESTLY say that somehow this is a better football team with PB vs. those three?

The level of ineptitude with this deal has been alarming. Capers tells us that he talked to Glenn BEFORE the trade, and that Glenn had a positive attitude about it, and was ready to compete. So, who is the liar here. Did Glenn lie to the Texans? Did the Texans lie to Glenn or us? Someone is not telling the truth here. Secondly, we were told that they paid a somewhat steep price to get PB because this allowed the Texans to match up with the three WR sets employed by the Colts and others with three excellent corners. How are we appreciably better off now then before the trade in regards to that. While PB has more speed at this stage of their careers, AG is also a wily vet, who has the experience and know how that PB does not have yet. Also, one reason many of us didn't mind bringing in a malcontent like PB was because he would have someone the calibur of AG to mentor and tutor him. Additionally, Dunta himself mentioned how having AG there was a huge help to his game. AG was like a coach on the field as well. Does PB bring these same qualities to the Texans? I don't think so. Last point is that even if AG requested his release does not mean we have to grant it the next day. Do the inmates run the aslyum here. AG had 4 million reasons to return. We could have simply told him to butch up, and complete on the field like a man. I seriousely doubt that he would have been a major problem once he was on the field, but if it ever got to the point that it was a major distraction, the Texans could have tried to make a trade at that point, or even released him in camp. Why now? Why the speed of this transaction? There is more here than meets the eye.

All in all, this offseason has been a total disaster. We have lost as much, and maybe more, than we have gained. We have helped our return game immensely, and the defense has gained foot speed, but lost depth and leadership. I don't see the 5 yr plan. If this is thier plan, then their plan stinks. If I were Mcnair, this deal would send me over the edge. :thumbdown

Back