Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

A topic relatively unmentioned - Wide Receiver

TheOgre

All Pro
Along with OLT and TE, our #2 WR position has been an issue since day 1. Bradford and Gaffney are FA's and Mathis is still a WIP. I highly doubt Bradford is back (never say never after he came back this year), and Gaffney is a 50/50 proposition IMO.

Mathis is still very raw and might be best suited as our #3 WR (if Gaffney isn't here). Perhaps a healthy training camp could propel him into a starting role, but we need to plan otherwise. That means we need to find a bonafide #2 WR to play opposite AJ. Since this is a weak WR draft and they usually take a couple of years to develop anyways, then we need to find a FA one. He doesn't need to be a stud. Perhaps someone like Keenan McCardell (a Houston boy) could be a stopgap for a couple of years. I realize he is older than dirt in NFL terms, but he has contributed everywhere he has gone. Get him and don't look back. If not him, get a guy that gets open and is fairly reliable.

What is your take on the situation?

i believe a cheap veteran for the WR corps is in order. That guy maybe Gaffney, but you nver really know with a FA.

I don't think you bring in a FA that would hamper Mathis getting reps. I'd rather him get those reps in preparation for being the #2 even if Gaffney serves at the #2 temp.

If Bradford is the Texans #2 WR again next season .... They are in trouble .

Ive stated this in various threads already but im gonna say it again .... Bradford was a UFA prior to this season , NO TEAM made him an offer .
To me this says one of two things , A) he wasnt good enough to play for ANY other team period . B) he was overpriced for what he can offer ..... Considering he signed w/ the Texans for $1Mill Im of the thinking that the other GM's dont think he was worth the roster spot ....He's a track guy tryin to make in as a WR in the NFL .... I hope he DOESNT return

As for Mathis .... He has potential and once he gets the ball in his hands can break one at any time .... He needs to WORK HARD on his routes . Maybe bringing in a veteran FA would be a good idea to help him develop .

Of all the FA WR's this season the one I would like to see them take a shot at is Troy Brown .... The guy is a proven winner , will do ANYTHING he's asked for the good of the team and is a tireless worker . :twocents:

I think that mathis started getting better in his routes last year and has earned the chance to compete for the #2 WR position. With that being said i still think that we need to draft for tha spot to bring about competion. i like that guy Brandon Marshall out of Central Florida. He has the size to play WR or TE (6 "6", 230). He is strong with good speed and if he doesn't work out (inability to run routes) at WR we could have him add some weight and play TE because of athleticism and strength.

I wouldn't mind seeing Peerless Price on the Texans. When he has a big time receiver on the other side of him, he can be quite productive. His problem is that teams sign him to be their #1 receiver, when he is clearly just a #2.

I like Gaffney, we can mold him to something good.

I think Bradford is ok....

But we are definetly going to have a good ground game!

Wait and see how Kubiak helps the Offense.....Gaffney might turn out to be a fine WR after a real Offensive minded HC/OC gets here.

Or the Texans could just go DET style and go on a WR run for the next three years.....!!!! :yahoo:

We probably won't spend too much on a FA WR because Bush is going to have a large role in the passing game and will be lined up as a WR for several plays per game.

That's my whole point into getting someone like Marshall who has the athletic ability to maybe move to another position if his routes aren't all that.

here is a name for everyone. Charles Rogers. i know i know, all the problems and injuries in detroit, that just means he comes cheap, he wont have to play in his home state where he played college (less pressure) and he wont have to be the number 1 guy. He is probably better suited to being a number 2 anyways.

The lions will release him because they are not paying him a monster bonus he is due.

I, personally, wouldn't mind us taking Marques Colston from Hofstra. I got a chance to see him in the Shrine game. He's tall and seems very athletic. Jumped over a few corners to make nice catches, including an amazing catch to put the East at the 1 yard line with 1 second to go.

jacquescas said:
here is a name for everyone. Charles Rogers. i know i know, all the problems and injuries in detroit, that just means he comes cheap, he wont have to play in his home state where he played college (less pressure) and he wont have to be the number 1 guy. He is probably better suited to being a number 2 anyways.

The lions will release him because they are not paying him a monster bonus he is due.

Cheap enough, he's a guy I would take a flyer on. He would have some seriouse up side if he can pull it together.

jacquescas said:

I have been preaching this guys name all season long. Why not take a flyer on him? He was a top 3 pick, and rivaled AJ that year. He has the speed and his hands are what set him apart. AJ has the size, but Rogers was a better prospect at the time of draft.

C Madd said:
I, personally, wouldn't mind us taking Marques Colston from Hofstra. I got a chance to see him in the Shrine game. He's tall and seems very athletic. Jumped over a few corners to make nice catches, including an amazing catch to put the East at the 1 yard line with 1 second to go.
He did look very good.

jacquescas said:

his problem isnt just injuries, did'nt he get suspended a couple of times for smoking that "wacky tabacky":spy:

H-Texan7_5 said:
his problem isnt just injuries, did'nt he get suspended a couple of times for smoking that "wacky tabacky":spy:

probally.

his stock could not be lower. He has top 10 football talent. he is worth the league minimum and a new setting.

IMO we could put in Mathis in at the #2 spot and let Gaffney be the #3 wide-out. I think Mathis would be the better #2 since AJ has size and if Mathis is open he'll be able to use his breakaway speed. It's an elementary plan but if it works someone's considered a genius.

wiley2002 said:
IMO we could put in Mathis in at the #2 spot and let Gaffney be the #3 wide-out. I think Mathis would be the better #2 since AJ has size and if Mathis is open he'll be able to use his breakaway speed. It's an elementary plan but if it works someone's considered a genius.

Yes, i have been saying that all season, and offseason.

Gaffeny in the slot, with armstrong playing back up.

Canada guy as another back up, along with charles rogers as a back up/option for #2 reciever.

Maybe draft a skyler green/steve smith/mike hass?

I forgot about Armstrong. Yea he'd be an excellent #4 guy. I know he wasn't used too much this season (I don't know why) but he'd be great to go to out of the shotgun. He can play as QB so don't be afraid to make some trick plays with him passing one deep.

If we can get some guys up front that can hold at least four rush guys out for 3-4 seconds, we will have guys that can get down field and cause the defense secondary to be stressed. AJ, Mathis and I suspect Bush are all major speed guys. Then DD and a TE into the underneath routs, and on occasion with Gaff in the intermediates. That could produce some seriouse passing numbers. However, it all starts up front and if we can't hold guys out, it won't matter diddly if we have good speed guys.

C Madd said:

I liked his ability to make a play in traffic and adjust his large frame out for the catch, does not have ideal speed like Moss but has similar size & seemed like a man amongst boys. would be a solid 4th rd pick and or a steal in the 5th :cool:

Gaff is a solid possession receiver who wasn't allowed to look good this year due a lot to our offensive line/playcalling.

I hope we bring him back but I couldn't blame him for wanting to go somewhere else, though I hope the promise of Kubiak and greener pastures will keep him here.

WILLIEG said:
I think that mathis started getting better in his routes last year and has earned the chance to compete for the #2 WR position. With that being said i still think that we need to draft for tha spot to bring about competion. i like that guy Brandon Marshall out of Central Florida. He has the size to play WR or TE (6 "6", 230). He is strong with good speed and if he doesn't work out (inability to run routes) at WR we could have him add some weight and play TE because of athleticism and strength.

I like this kid alot, but my gripe is during that bowl game he looked out of shape. He was sucking wind and even ran bad routs cause of his lack of conditioning. But other than that hell yeah.

Reggie Wayne isn't going anywhere (whereas E. James is probably gone). I like Driver as an option if we are willing to spend money. McCardell would be nice as a bargain guy that can contribute. Givens would be a nice addition with a moderate contract.

Now I'll talk about our current receivers. Gaffney is a a good #3 receiver but isn't a good #2, plus he is a FA. Bradford has zero business on this team in 2006. Mathis is still very raw. He didn't even have a WR coach for 2 years at Hampton. Armstrong has tremendous hands but there is a reason he hasn't seen the field more. He has difficulty getting separation from the DB's.

I think it is asking a lot to put Mathis in as our #2 receiver this year. I would rather see him spend a season or two as our slot receiver and bring in a veteran to start instead. With that idea in place, I don't think we need Gaffney.

TheOgre said:
Reggie Wayne isn't going anywhere (whereas E. James is probably gone). I like Driver as an option if we are willing to spend money. McCardell would be nice as a bargain guy that can contribute. Givens would be a nice addition with a moderate contract.

Now I'll talk about our current receivers. Gaffney is a a good #3 receiver but isn't a good #2, plus he is a FA. Bradford has zero business on this team in 2006. Mathis is still very raw. He didn't even have a WR coach for 2 years at Hampton. Armstrong has tremendous hands but there is a reason he hasn't seen the field more. He has difficulty getting separation from the DB's.

I think it is asking a lot to put Mathis in as our #2 receiver this year. I would rather see him spend a season or two as our slot receiver and bring in a veteran to start instead. With that idea in place, I don't think we need Gaffney.

Go with Charles Rogers at a bargin price. We dont have enough money to address all our needs through FA.

This is a lousy draft for WRs (and other teams need them) so we wouldn't get good value by drafting one. So, waiting or free agency is our choice.

Moulds - Buff is cutting him loose and he would be a perfect veteran to work with AJ/Gaffney/Mathis. Plus, since he is almost done, we sign him to a 3 year deal max and he retires as a Texan.

If not him:
CRogers - why not, just keep the signing bonus and the incentives high so we can sut him loose if we need to.
PPrice- I doubt he works out but it could also payoff big.
Gabriel - I think he is a FA

heres my problem with getting a #2....we know gaff is a 3rd right? can we agree on this? very solid hopefully a bobby engram type for ten more years..blah blah blah...if we were to get wayne/givens...or whoever...what happens to mathis? does he get a shot? or does he go to 3 and we give up on gaff? for my money i would rather get a TE that deserves to be paid as an NFL TE...try to get mathis in the mix..if he can't hack it we need to know....i would love to see us steal stovall (notre dame)late in the second day...we'll assume we will address Oline issues...so next year if mathis is JUST a KR/PR there are a lot of good WR prospects...the guy at usc..the stud at GT??and many more..i just think we have more pressing issues than a #2...but...if we swing wayne i can't say i'll be upset...DA U on both sides catching balls sounds nice

TheOgre said:

Edgerrin will be resigned before Reggie Wayne, a franchise RB is much more important than a good #2 WR. I doubt Wayne is a Colt in 2006, I think he will likely end up with the Eagles. There are plenty of potential #2 WRs that can be found in the 3rd round or lower in the draft, a lot of bigger WRs at the Senior Bowl that could become nice possession WRs, and there are a few others in free agency but I think Wayne will end up getting overpaid to try to be a team's #1 WR and could end up being similar to Peerless Price a couple years ago when he went to Atlanta and did not meet expectations.

MorKnolle said:
Edgerrin will be resigned before Reggie Wayne, a franchise RB is much more important than a good #2 WR. I doubt Wayne is a Colt in 2006, I think he will likely end up with the Eagles.

Wayne has a much longer career ahead of him. James is exiting the prime of his career. If I am the Colts, I re-sign Wayne and draft/sign a RB. It is an easier position to fill for that offense. Remember most defenses will defend the pass leaving rushing lanes open for whoever that back is. Also, James hasn't been explosive since before his major injury a couple of years ago.

Either Clayton or Mortenson (cannot remember which) confirmed my take on this. It is believed that Wayne will likely be franchised or get an extension. I think it is about 50/50 whether James is back in Indy next year.

In the Colts best case scenario, Deangelo Williams might slip to them. They may possibly trade EJ and get Len Dale White or Laurence Maroney.

CITY CAT said:
In the Colts best case scenario, Deangelo Williams might slip to them. They may possibly trade EJ and get Len Dale White or Laurence Maroney.

No way DeAngelo falls to #30, and I don't see the Colts signing James to trade him off as part of a deal for White or Maroney. I think he will be their top offseason priority, but we'll have to wait and see what they do.

Back