A topic relatively unmentioned - Wide Receiver

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by TheOgre, Jan 25, 2006.

1. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Along with OLT and TE, our #2 WR position has been an issue since day 1. Bradford and Gaffney are FA's and Mathis is still a WIP. I highly doubt Bradford is back (never say never after he came back this year), and Gaffney is a 50/50 proposition IMO.

Mathis is still very raw and might be best suited as our #3 WR (if Gaffney isn't here). Perhaps a healthy training camp could propel him into a starting role, but we need to plan otherwise. That means we need to find a bonafide #2 WR to play opposite AJ. Since this is a weak WR draft and they usually take a couple of years to develop anyways, then we need to find a FA one. He doesn't need to be a stud. Perhaps someone like Keenan McCardell (a Houston boy) could be a stopgap for a couple of years. I realize he is older than dirt in NFL terms, but he has contributed everywhere he has gone. Get him and don't look back. If not him, get a guy that gets open and is fairly reliable.

What is your take on the situation?

2. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

i believe a cheap veteran for the WR corps is in order. That guy maybe Gaffney, but you nver really know with a FA.

3. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

I don't think you bring in a FA that would hamper Mathis getting reps. I'd rather him get those reps in preparation for being the #2 even if Gaffney serves at the #2 temp.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

If Bradford is the Texans #2 WR again next season .... They are in trouble .

Ive stated this in various threads already but im gonna say it again .... Bradford was a UFA prior to this season , NO TEAM made him an offer .
    To me this says one of two things , A) he wasnt good enough to play for ANY other team period . B) he was overpriced for what he can offer ..... Considering he signed w/ the Texans for $1Mill Im of the thinking that the other GM's dont think he was worth the roster spot ....He's a track guy tryin to make in as a WR in the NFL .... I hope he DOESNT return

As for Mathis .... He has potential and once he gets the ball in his hands can break one at any time .... He needs to WORK HARD on his routes . Maybe bringing in a veteran FA would be a good idea to help him develop .

Of all the FA WR's this season the one I would like to see them take a shot at is Troy Brown .... The guy is a proven winner , will do ANYTHING he's asked for the good of the team and is a tireless worker . :twocents:

5. WILLIEG

WILLIEG Veteran

I think that mathis started getting better in his routes last year and has earned the chance to compete for the #2 WR position. With that being said i still think that we need to draft for tha spot to bring about competion. i like that guy Brandon Marshall out of Central Florida. He has the size to play WR or TE (6 "6", 230). He is strong with good speed and if he doesn't work out (inability to run routes) at WR we could have him add some weight and play TE because of athleticism and strength.

6. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I wouldn't mind seeing Peerless Price on the Texans. When he has a big time receiver on the other side of him, he can be quite productive. His problem is that teams sign him to be their #1 receiver, when he is clearly just a #2.

7. Bullpen Drew

Bullpen Drew All Pro

I like Gaffney, we can mold him to something good.

I think Bradford is ok....

But we are definetly going to have a good ground game!

8. MikeMc

MikeMc All Pro

Wait and see how Kubiak helps the Offense.....Gaffney might turn out to be a fine WR after a real Offensive minded HC/OC gets here.

Or the Texans could just go DET style and go on a WR run for the next three years.....!!!! :yahoo:

9. WILLIEG

WILLIEG Veteran

Bradford sucks ---!

10. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

We probably won't spend too much on a FA WR because Bush is going to have a large role in the passing game and will be lined up as a WR for several plays per game.

11. WILLIEG

WILLIEG Veteran

That's my whole point into getting someone like Marshall who has the athletic ability to maybe move to another position if his routes aren't all that.

12. jacquescas

jacquescas Hall of Fame

here is a name for everyone. Charles Rogers. i know i know, all the problems and injuries in detroit, that just means he comes cheap, he wont have to play in his home state where he played college (less pressure) and he wont have to be the number 1 guy. He is probably better suited to being a number 2 anyways.

The lions will release him because they are not paying him a monster bonus he is due.

13. WILLIEG

WILLIEG Veteran

Sounds good to me the only thing i would have to question is ability to stay healthy,

14. Farough

Farough Site Contributor

Isn't David Givens a FA?

15. C Madd

C Madd Veteran

I, personally, wouldn't mind us taking Marques Colston from Hofstra. I got a chance to see him in the Shrine game. He's tall and seems very athletic. Jumped over a few corners to make nice catches, including an amazing catch to put the East at the 1 yard line with 1 second to go.

16. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Cheap enough, he's a guy I would take a flyer on. He would have some seriouse up side if he can pull it together.

17. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I have been preaching this guys name all season long. Why not take a flyer on him? He was a top 3 pick, and rivaled AJ that year. He has the speed and his hands are what set him apart. AJ has the size, but Rogers was a better prospect at the time of draft.

18. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

He did look very good.

19. WILLIEG

WILLIEG Veteran

Donald Driver!

20. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

his problem isnt just injuries, did'nt he get suspended a couple of times for smoking that "wacky tabacky":spy: