Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

A Philosphical Quandry

RagingBull

Hall of Shame
It is late December, 2011. The 10-4 Texans have the AFC South clinched and are playing the 1-13 Colts the next week. There are two other 1-13 teams in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes. The Texans don't have home field advantage wrapped up, but are still in the running for it.

Question: Do you "rest" your starters against the Colts like they did against the Jets a couple of years back in order to help keep them out of the Luck Lotto or do you go full bore and try to wrap up home field advantage?

It is late December, 2011. The 10-4 Texans have the AFC South clinched and are playing the 1-13 Colts the next week. There are two other 1-13 teams in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes. The Texans don't have home field advantage wrapped up, but are still in the running for it.

Question: Do you "rest" your starters against the Colts like they did against the Jets a couple of years back in order to help keep them out of the Luck Lotto or do you go full bore and try to wrap up home field advantage?

Sorry, not trying to be rude, but that's a horrible question.
Play for the win 100% of the time, all the time.

You nuckin futs?!?!?
Voluntarily surrender a shot at home field advantage to keep an unproven draft pick out of the hands of a 1-13 team? Crazy, I tell ya.

You always do what's best in your interest and don't worry about some implication that your don't have control over. Play the starters and try to get home field advantage.

You always do what's best in your interest and don't worry about some implication that your don't have control over. Play the starters and try to get home field advantage.

Never lay down to the colts....NEVER

I apologize to both of you. Your comments are appreciated but not needed.

I forgot to put the /thread in my post. If I had remembered, it would have saved you the time of responding.

LOL

I apologize to both of you. Your comments are appreciated but not needed.

I forgot to put the /thread in my post. If I had remembered, it would have saved you the time of responding.

LOL

You are forgiven because I did not see your post. I hit reply and walked away to answer the phone before I finished typing.

If the Texans already had homefield wrapped up then I don't have (much of) an issue with it. The long-term implications could be dire indeed.

I don't think they'd even draft him unless Manning's career is over. Way too much $ to wrap up in two guys with the salary cap. Especially if one is always on the bench and there are so many glaring needs in a lot of other places.

It is late December, 2011. The 10-4 Texans have the AFC South clinched and are playing the 1-13 Colts the next week. There are two other 1-13 teams in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes.

Question: Do you "rest" your starters against the Colts like they did against the Jets a couple of years back in order to help keep them out of the Luck Lotto or do you go full bore to take momentum into the playoffs?

Did he mean this????

Because, well, his original question answers itself?

You cant play the what if game. We control what we control. And that would be playing our starters and getting home field advantage.

So we rest our starters, lose the game, miss out on homefield advantage. Indy still ends up with the first pick, or trades up for the first pick. Well that would suck wouldnt it?

Yeah, I really don't want Luck going to the Colts like anyone else, but think of it like this.

-It's probably safe to say the Colts will be picking top 10

-There's probably 6-7 first round QBs this year

-Yes it would really suck to have Luck in the AFC South, but it will also suck if they get Tannehill, Cousins, Weeden, Griffin III, or Landry Jones too.

This is a heck of a QB class and the Colts could get a franchise guy with the 1st pick, 6th pick or even 14th so this is moot if you ask me.

Sweep the Colts! I don't care if we have homefield throughout wrapped up, you do your fan base a favor and sweep the freakin' Colts. :fingergun:

But as to the original question: it's a no-brainer that you play to gain homefield in the playoffs. Let next season be worried about next season.

I know Luck is the flavor of the day, but nobody is guaranteed to be great in the NFL. We've seen first round busts and 6th round Hall of Famers, so it's an educated guessing game year to year.

Besides, based on the scenario, Luck would be a rookie that would have to play our defense twice a year, and if this scenario pans, it's obviously going to be a consistently good D. We squash him and blow his confidence and Colts fans are referring to him as HWWNBN in six years! :D

Play your starters, run up the score by halftime and send in the reserves. In the context of the scenario, it might not be a bad idea at all to get some good film of Leinart out there. If Yates is coming along nicely and Leinart plays well, he could have some trade value. Just a thought in a "what if "thread.

We draft who we draft and play to win. If win is guaranteed rest whom you want to. I don't care about other teams draft.

Terrible question. Did you honestly expect anyone to agree with notion of forfeiting home field advantage?

I was thinking more along the lines of "would it be worth screwing the Colts for the next decade to POSSIBLY lose home field advantage for one year". The answer was not all the clear to me so I wanted to see what everyone thought.

I was thinking more along the lines of "would it be worth screwing the Colts for the next decade to POSSIBLY lose home field advantage for one year". The answer was not all the clear to me so I wanted to see what everyone thought.

We can screw the Colts by demolishing them!!!! C'mon man... We haven't even made the playoffs ONE year and to contemplate giving up on home field advantage.. :spit:

A team's primary goal is set itself up to get to and win the Superbowl in the current year. Remember even really good teams don't get there and win often. The Colts with all that Peyton as the "greatest" QB ever have one Superbowl victory. The colts and their draft is not under your control, but a potential to make the best path possible to attempt to get there is under the Texans control. Manage yourself and not your neighbor. If a GM or coach is worried about Luck in 2018 being on the Colts, he probably won't have his job in 2015.

I'm going to have to agree with the others. Screw the Colts, let's nail home field advantage.

Also, I'm sick of hearing the name Andrew Luck. The kid is still in college and he's already got a spot in Canton. This is stupid. We have no idea how great he's going to be until he gets to the NFL. How about we wait and see what happens?

Everyone is so "terrified" of the Colts getting Andrew Luck. So? And? What if they do? Who will coach him? Who will train him?

I'm not a Gary Kubiak fan, but I trust his judgement about QB's. He will continue to coach Schaub while laying the groundwork for Schaub's eventual replacement - Andrew Luck or not.

Hello!?!? You play to WIN THE GAME!!!! You don't play to just play!

Seriously there is absolutely no way on earth you turn down the opportunity for a 1st round bye and home field in the divisional playoffs. That means you are 1 game away from the conference championship in front of a Houston crowd that hasn't seen a football playoff game in I don't know how many years. Can you imagine how ridiculous that crowd would be?

Wow. There's a lot of anger in this thread. The guy just asked a hypothetical question. He didn't kick your dog or anything. Lets have a :grouphug: and :fans:

Wow. There's a lot of anger in this thread. The guy just asked a hypothetical question. He didn't kick your dog or anything. Lets have a :grouphug: and :fans:

I don't think its a "stupid" question at all. I just love Herm Edwards so I made an attempt at humor. To be honest I would probably lose my mind if we're in this position at the end of the year. Andrew Luck is no guarantee to light up the league. To have the opportunity to have a first round bye would be amazing.

He "kicked my dog" when he suggested we hand a game - ANY game - to a divisional opponent.
ANY divisional opponent....

First, like so many have already posted the Texans should play to secure Home Field advantage before considering resting starters. Even after securing home field advantage, I think the starters should still play the first half of the last game and then let the backups get some playing time. Rest is a good thing, but you have to weigh it against losing the cohesiveness of the team that comes from playing together every week.

Second, no one even knows if Andrew Luck is going to enter next year's draft. He still has one more year of eligibility remaining. I wouldn't be surprised if he returned to school for his last year of eligibility.

I say if we have the chance to bury the colts (or anyone else) do it.

And then if they get Andrew luck we beat the hell out of him too.

I would do what the Pats did to us two years ago, and also exactly what the Colts did when we beat them on 12-24-2006. Even though both teams lost to us they still went for the homefield advantage.

He "kicked my dog" when he suggested we hand a game - ANY game - to a divisional opponent.
ANY divisional opponent....
DISCLAIMER: No dogs were harmed, except metaphorically, in the posting of this thread.

No way do you give up a shot at home field advantage for a bunch of kinda-sorta-maybe possibilities. Especially for a team to make the play-offs for the first time. They will need every edge they can get.

Cuck the Folts!

I want them to feel what getting your ass kicked and not being able to do a damn thing about it feels like. I say again, CUCK THE FOLTS!

Cuck the Folts!

I want them to feel what getting your ass kicked and not being able to do a damn thing about it feels like. I say again, CUCK THE FOLTS!
That's why I posted that we play our starters, run up the score then let our reserves rub their noses in it.:splits:

You get way up in the first half of the game then you systematically drop the ball in the endzone and force a colt to cover up on it until you end up with a tie. That way the colts know what you can do, you embarass them on national television, your tie is basically the same as a win for them 1-14-1 is better than 1-15 and it gives you an advantage 11-4-1 puts you ahead of all of the 11-5 teams. They still don't get luck. You're in the playoffs and you basically did the stink face (MCW style). the 11-4-1 also gives you a better draft position than anyone with a 12-4 record in the NFC. Since this is just a hypothetical... this is fun. Now can we talk about what happens if I see a vette driving sloshy with a license plate that says FNEGAN on it? You call the cops, report him driving drunk then pull in front of him and slam on the breaks.... Same if you see an f650 with "Hnswrth" on it.

Mike

Back