Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

A New Gameday Noise Maker?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
BOOM! Just tested the mini-cannon. Ready for touchdowns tomorrow.
Posted by Instagram (HoustonTexans) on August 17, 2012 – 2:18 pm

a7c7d2f8e8a811e1ae5f12313804f9a9_7.jpg

I swear though, if let's say the vuvuzela EVER became a Texans thing and everyone at home games had them, I would seriously stop rooting for the team.

West Texas A&M University (Braman's alma mater) tried one of those out last year prior to their season...It was fired on the field, but somehow the blast was concussive enough to shatter the press box windows. Big $$$$ for new windows.

So...the cannon was retired.

That cannon has been around for years, and is used on every FG for the Texans, FG or EP. And the reason I know that is cause it will scare the ever-living sh*t out of me and everyone else after extra points if we forget about it.

miller-lite-aluminum-bottle.jpg

Well, if anyone needs one, we'll have several under our seat for crunch time in the 4th quarter.

lincoln_pennies.jpg

As for these well you need to bring your own. Our pockets are emptied after buying all that $7.75 Miller Lite!

Roll your own noise maker in the stands (must be a wide-mouth bottle for pennies to fit):

miller-lite-aluminum-bottle.jpg
lincoln_pennies.jpg

The problem I have with the Miller Lite can is the concession stands don't let you keep the screw on lid so the pennies keep falling out. So instead we had to buy a Dasani water bottle. The pennies still fit - I think. Might have used dimes. But you can always bang the Miller Lite can against the rails.

The problem I have with the Miller Lite can is the concession stands don't let you keep the screw on lid so the pennies keep falling out. So instead we had to buy a Dasani water bottle. The pennies still fit - I think. Might have used dimes. But you can always bang the Miller Lite can against the rails.

Yeah, it can be a problem keeping the pennies in.
I just stick my finger inside the bottle, and grip it between that finger and my thumb, then shake it like I'm ringing a bell. That method will usually keep the pennies inside up until my 8th or 9th beer.

I just stick my finger inside the bottle, and grip it between that finger and my thumb, then shake it like I'm ringing a bell. That method will usually keep the pennies inside up until my 8th or 9th beer.

your sig is like the funniest thing ever.

Simply from ht.com
Noisemakers
National Football League policy prohibits noisemakers from being brought inside the Stadium. This includes, but is not limited to, all horns, including air horns, cow bells and whistles. We reserve the right to confiscate any item that does not adhere to this policy.

I don't see anything about drums............

Simply from ht.com
Noisemakers
National Football League policy prohibits noisemakers from being brought inside the Stadium. This includes, but is not limited to, all horns, including air horns, cow bells and whistles. We reserve the right to confiscate any item that does not adhere to this policy.

:foottap:

Simply from ht.com
Noisemakers

It doesn't say anything about ones 'assembled' INside the stadium!! :hurrah:

Thanks. I will try that sometime...:heh:

That cannon has been around for years, and is used on every FG for the Texans, FG or EP. And the reason I know that is cause it will scare the ever-living sh*t out of me and everyone else after extra points if we forget about it.

Got me on Saturday, actually. After the game. I totally flinched. Hey, it's pre-season for the fans too. Gotta work out the kinks. I'll be ready come September ninth, though. No flinching.

I stomp the end of the bottle closed with my boot. :texans chick:

The beer bottle metal is louder than Dasani bottles. Especially if you keep bang it into a railing. You can also stuff napkins into the end of the bottle.

Don't do this obviously in front of a yellow shirt. And if someone beyotches about it, than stop. But if you are doing it when it is supposed to be loud, it will just blend right in.

Being an audio guy....I feel like I should share some really, really random knowledge with you folks.
I didn't copy the website to link it but this isn't mine said:
Phase is defined as how far along its cycle a given waveform is. As we mentioned before, sound waves are periodic, or cyclical. From your trigonometry class back in high school, you may remember some evil sine-wave graphs where one period equalled 360 degrees. It is possible to have two identical sound waves of the same frequency and amplitude, but one is delayed slightly-we term this being "out of phase" with respect to each other. If you have one sound wave, it doesn't much matter how far along the sound wave is at a given instant. However, when you have multiple sound waves which are "out of phase," or delayed slightly with respect to one another, the waveforms will interact with each other in constructive and destructive ways. How much the waves interact, and at what frequencies they interact, depends on the waveforms involved, and how far out of phase they are-- two identical sine waves, 180 degrees out of phase with respect to each other, will cancel completely. Draw it on a piece of paper-- add one sine wave with a positive peak at 90 degrees and a negative peak at 270 degrees to another sine wave with a negative peak at 90 degrees and a positive peak at 270 degrees-- whaddya get? Nuttin'.

Conversely, if two similar waveforms, of same frequency, shape, and peak amplitude, are added, the resultant frequency is of the same frequency, phase, and shape, but has twice the original peak amplitude ((y = sin x ) + (y = sin x) = y = 2 sin x). We call this state where two waves are exactly the same in-phase.

Basically, we can all scream our heads off and it will get pretty rockin in Reliant. To be even louder, we just need to scream (or sing) the same note. As in the person next to you is singin the same note as the person next to them, and so on all the way around the stadium, 70,000+ strong. It would truly be deafeningly loud with half the effort.

And if anybody could ever find out the pitch at which the structure of Reliant Stadium naturally resonates....we could probably register the effect on a richter scale.

Concrete structures often have standing waves or "nodes" at around 240Hz as well as around 400Hz. An "A4" on the chromatic scale is at 440Hz.

Here's a corny thing I did from 2010 about additive sound and getting loud for Peyton Manning:

"It’s exhausting work to yell for 15 seconds repeatedly. Luckily, the Texans offer beer to help with the stamina. When the time is right, give it all you’ve got. A simple “ahhhhhhhhhh” is sufficient. (You can ask an Aggie, they usually understand this technique.) No need for actual audible words. Words are usually short sounds and include those pesky consonants that rarely add volume. The tried and true “ahhhhhhhh” method creates a sustaining sound source that actually amplifies as it resonates throughout the stadium. The “ahhhhhhhh” sound as it leaves your mouth is one sound source. We’ll call this sound “ahh #1”. As “ahh#1” leaves your lungs and travels throughout the stadium it will encounter numerous walls, seat backs, concrete steps, beer bottles, hard hats etc.. When “ahh #1” hits these and many other surfaces it bounces off of them and continues on to a new trajectory toward Peyton’s inner ear.

We’ll call this reflective sound “ahh #2”. When you combine “ahh #1” with “ahh#2”, the sound of your voice is essentially doubled. That’s two voices screaming at Peyton Manning for the price of one ticket! What a bargain! Combine your double voice with 67,000 other double voices and Manning may start to struggle.

So Texans fans, start yelling early. Yell properly and yell at the appropriate times. Then we can all enjoy a discussion after the game about how satisfying it was to beat the Colts, unless you’re too hoarse from doing your part. In that case, we can just have a beer and smile.

See you on Sunday."

Being an audio guy....I feel like I should share some really, really random knowledge with you folks.

Basically, we can all scream our heads off and it will get pretty rockin in Reliant. To be even louder, we just need to scream (or sing) the same note. As in the person next to you is singin the same note as the person next to them, and so on all the way around the stadium, 70,000+ strong. It would truly be deafeningly loud with half the effort.

And if anybody could ever find out the pitch at which the structure of Reliant Stadium naturally resonates....we could probably register the effect on a richter scale.

I, too, grew up in a rock recording environment. In select circumstances, we used to "liven" the sound by covering surfaces with aluminum foil. If we had an "Aluminum Foil Day" at the stadium (formally or not) where everyone brought a large sheet of cardboard covered with aluminum foil and hung it around your neck like chest armour, the sound that would normally be absorbed by clothing, would instead be bounced and ultimately be reflected back onto the field with ear-bleed intensity.

Concrete structures often have standing waves or "nodes" at around 240Hz as well as around 400Hz. An "A4" on the chromatic scale is at 440Hz.

Here's a corny thing I did from 2010 about additive sound and getting loud for Peyton Manning:

"It’s exhausting work to yell for 15 seconds repeatedly. Luckily, the Texans offer beer to help with the stamina. When the time is right, give it all you’ve got. A simple “ahhhhhhhhhh” is sufficient. (You can ask an Aggie, they usually understand this technique.) No need for actual audible words. Words are usually short sounds and include those pesky consonants that rarely add volume. The tried and true “ahhhhhhhh” method creates a sustaining sound source that actually amplifies as it resonates throughout the stadium. The “ahhhhhhhh” sound as it leaves your mouth is one sound source. We’ll call this sound “ahh #1”. As “ahh#1” leaves your lungs and travels throughout the stadium it will encounter numerous walls, seat backs, concrete steps, beer bottles, hard hats etc.. When “ahh #1” hits these and many other surfaces it bounces off of them and continues on to a new trajectory toward Peyton’s inner ear.

We’ll call this reflective sound “ahh #2”. When you combine “ahh #1” with “ahh#2”, the sound of your voice is essentially doubled. That’s two voices screaming at Peyton Manning for the price of one ticket! What a bargain! Combine your double voice with 67,000 other double voices and Manning may start to struggle.

So Texans fans, start yelling early. Yell properly and yell at the appropriate times. Then we can all enjoy a discussion after the game about how satisfying it was to beat the Colts, unless you’re too hoarse from doing your part. In that case, we can just have a beer and smile.

See you on Sunday."

Did I miss something here? :stirpot:

Here is the solution, everyone bring thier own cap from the miller light 6 pack from tailgaiting :). BOOOM

It sounds pretty awesome when all the fans are doing the "soccer chants" in unison. I think it's starting to catch on at most NFL stadiums.

Here's another tip. Tip the brotha selling you a beer $1 and tell him you want your caps. That's how we stash our beers for the 4th quarter so they don't spill over! They always give you the lids if you ask with some dinero.

You have to protect your investment! :drunk:

Back