Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

7-Round Mock (Trade w/ Baltimore)

AustinJB

Rookie
Ravens have uncertainty at the RB position and depending on what happens w/ Jamaal Lewis, they may be in the Bush sweepstakes. If not, they may still be interested in moving up to take Leinart or VY to replace Kyle Boller. If they would be willing to package Ray Lewis with a few extra picks, I think it could be a great situation for us.

Ravens get:
-#1 pick
-Kailee Wong

Texans get:
-#13 pick
-2nd rd. #45
-2007 1st or 2nd round
-2007 5th or 6th round
-Ray Lewis

After those moves, my mock would be:

1 (#13) Vernon Davis, TE
-Speedy, athletic TE w/ great hands; adds the much needed threat in the middle of the field and in the red zone. Good run blocker but can improve in this area; great upside and potential. Will be a key in Kubes offense.

2a (#33) Daryn Colledge, OT
-Great tackle that has the nasty demeanor that Kubes loves. Has quick feet which will be needed to excel in the zone-blocking scheme. Also is an excellent pass blocker, which many don't give him credit for.

2b (#45) Ko Simpson, FS
-Will be an instant starter at FS from day one. Good size, decent speed, physical and a good tackler. Equally effective as a ballhawk in coverage and in supporting the run. Great instincts and has great upside.

3a (#65) Ray Edwards, DE
-Great size and speed for an end. Will provide a consistent pass rush and has a great motor. Still needs a little work on technique and strength but has great upside.

3b (#66) Jonathan Joseph, CB
-Can step in immediately opposite D-Rob as our #2 corner even though he is a little raw; should improve quickly. Has good size and excellent recovery speed and is a reliable tackler who will support the run.

4 (#97) Jason Avant, WR
-Has good size and is a very good athlete. A threat in the red zone due to his size, hands and ability to go up and get the ball. Moves the chains consistently. Very polished, smart, tough player w/ good character and great intangibles who will compete w/ Mathis for the #2 WR spot.

5 (#129) Mark Setterstrom, OG
-Quick, athletic lineman that will fit nicely in Kubiak's zone-blocking scheme. Has the attitude that Kubes loves in his linemen.

6 (#161) Aaron Harris, MLB
-Doesn't have great size at 6' 235lbs, but is a tackling machine. A very physical player, secure tackler and can fly around from sideline to sideline making plays. He has great speed, agility, and acceleration for a linebacker. Is a very intense player with passion for playing defense, which will be groomed backing up Ray Lewis....very much in the Zack Thomas mold.

7 (#193) Jeremy Bloom, WR/PR
-Lightning fast, quick receiver that is reported to run in the 4.25 range. Decent hands and has experience returning kicks. A Jerome Mathis-type player with better development as a receiver. If he falls this far, wherever/however the Texans decide to use him, a player w/ this kind speed is always welcome on the roster.

Not enough to move down. If you move down out of the #1 spot, the one thing you are going to come away with is a #1 next season. You also would be able to get a 2nd round pick next season on top of that since you are dropping so low. You won't have to add Wong for what the Ravens would be giving. I'm not sure I'd really want Ray Lewis, though. How long since he's played a full season? We could him and G-Funk barcaloungers for the sidelines when they are hurt.

If the Texans are going to trade down and add a player I'd rather get someone like John Abraham and only move down 3 spots.

I agree that you're not getting enough for the #1, but part of that depends on how highly you rate Ray Lewis at this stage of his career. I also really don't like Vernon Davis in the 1st, of all our team needs taking a TE in the 1st would be a horrible move. The rest of your picks are a pretty good attempt at fixing some team needs, but I don't like some of the specific players you picked.

I love picks 2b - 6.

Davis in the first is not necissary. I actually like Lewis more than Davis, but neither in the mid first. With most other needs covered in the other rounds, including my favorite defensive sleeper Ray Edwards, we could go BPA at #13, and it should not be Davis.

about ray lewis, obviously, he is not as great as he once was. with that being said, he is still a playmaker and one of the best players at his position. he brings an energy to the game that is unmatched. he is arguably the best to play the position

he only has about 2-3 more good years left tho.

in the end, i think that the ravens and ray lewis will reconcile and there wont be any trade talks.

kind of like what happened with miguel tejada and the orioles, if you follow baseball

as for the trade, it would be a ok, not great for both squads. although i dont think the ravens would have any interest in kailee wong.

and i dont think that reggie bush is that valuable to them. they would much rather have a power back like lendale white to fit their system.

in the end, look for ray lewis to stay in baltimore.

and by the way ray lewis isnt really as injury prone as everyone thinks. he was out for he season is 2002. last season, he probably could have come back after a couple weeks if he really wanted to, but with the ravens struggling, he just didnt want to hurt his injury any more.

I like the deal. But, I would prefer to deal down to 3, then make the deal - logic being Balt will trade up to get a qb. But, even without that deal, it works.

Ray was hurt last year, but he is still a stud. Plus, he makes everyone else better. Let me re-word that. He orders them to play harder. A lot of guys that have played with him mention how they never let up because of him.

So, I value Ray pretty highly. And, he would fill that big hole at MLB.

maybe this
Ravens get:
-#1 pick
-Kailee Wong (or someone else marginal)

Texans get:
-#13 pick
-2nd rd. #45
-2007 1st round
-2008 2nd round
-Ray Lewis

I also like the mock - even if I might change it a little. I like the #13 area - can either get Davis or Huff. I would probably go with a C/OG at 3a instead of defensive end. By taking a C/OG, I think we could get a rock solid starter with so many available in that area in this draft. But that is a little late to get a good RDE (I would give our current guys a shot with an eye toward drafting one in the 1st next year).

Then next year, we would have 2 #1s to fill our holes.
And, our only obvious holes would be at WR and RDE.

It dont matter the Ravens arent gonna trade Ray Lewis. He is the face of the team. And they're not gettin enough for him. U cant replace having a soldout stadium all of them wearing a 52 jersey. Plus Ozzie Newsome has already said, Ray is not on the trade block. But if it were to happy then id draft either the DE from Penn St. or from BC over Davis.

YoungTexanFan said:
I'm pretty sure you cant trade picks from 2 drafts away.

Yeah, I'm not sure if you can either, I've never heard of it being done before. I also don't see the Texans trading down that far, and I don't think I'd want them to either. In the top 5 you can get someone who should be an elite player at their positions or at least is widely regarded as the best rated guy in X years at their position (Bush, Leinart, Young, D'Brick, Mario) and since we have the #1 pick I would at least want to get one of those guys out of it, and I'm sure the Texans are probably thinking along those lines and aren't going to trade down out of the range to get one of those guys unless they get a proven, elite NFL player that is pretty young as part of the deal (Ray Lewis has been one of if not the best MLB in NFL history, but he's on the decline and is definitely not young). Going on that notion, I think it would require something like this trade from Arizona:
Arizona gets: #1 pick, #66 pick, Marcus Coleman
Houston gets: #10 pick, #42 pick, 2007 3rd rounder, Adrian Wilson, and Larry Fitzgerald or Anquan Boldin, that would give us a solid NFL player that would start at FS/SS for us, a young elite WR, one extra draft pick, and a higher draft pick (3rd for a 2nd), and as a bonus it gets rid of our laziest player and gets a serious upgrade there. A similar trade with Detroit could be:
Detroit gets: #1 pick, #66 pick
Houston gets: #9 pick, #41 pick, 2007 3rd rounder, Boss Bailey, and Roy Williams.
I don't see any team that low making that kind of offer. In order to trade that far down, throw the draft pick value chart out the window because we need decent compensation from draft picks and a young, elite player in there to make up for the elite level player we're losing out on in the draft.

What about someone like Tamba Hali at 13? I think with a top DE and Ray Ray, the D will be in much better shape. I like the Aaron Harris pick, I dont know if he will fall that far, but it would be great if he did. I have advocated either Rocky MacIntosh in the 4th or Harris in the 5th for a while.

MorKnolle said:
Yeah, I'm not sure if you can either, I've never heard of it being done before. I also don't see the Texans trading down that far, and I don't think I'd want them to either. In the top 5 you can get someone who should be an elite player at their positions or at least is widely regarded as the best rated guy in X years at their position (Bush, Leinart, Young, D'Brick, Mario) and since we have the #1 pick I would at least want to get one of those guys out of it, and I'm sure the Texans are probably thinking along those lines and aren't going to trade down out of the range to get one of those guys unless they get a proven, elite NFL player that is pretty young as part of the deal (Ray Lewis has been one of if not the best MLB in NFL history, but he's on the decline and is definitely not young). Going on that notion, I think it would require something like this trade from Arizona:
Arizona gets: #1 pick, #66 pick, Marcus Coleman
Houston gets: #10 pick, #42 pick, 2007 3rd rounder, Adrian Wilson, and Larry Fitzgerald or Anquan Boldin, that would give us a solid NFL player that would start at FS/SS for us, a young elite WR, one extra draft pick, and a higher draft pick (3rd for a 2nd), and as a bonus it gets rid of our laziest player and gets a serious upgrade there. A similar trade with Detroit could be:
Detroit gets: #1 pick, #66 pick
Houston gets: #9 pick, #41 pick, 2007 3rd rounder, Boss Bailey, and Roy Williams.
I don't see any team that low making that kind of offer. In order to trade that far down, throw the draft pick value chart out the window because we need decent compensation from draft picks and a young, elite player in there to make up for the elite level player we're losing out on in the draft.

I have seen future picks dealt before - but it was years back.

I would jump all over the Detroit trade - even without Bailey. Roy and Andre would be sweeeet.

I doubt AZ would give up either of those WRs - even in a straight swap for #1.

run-david-run said:
What about someone like Tamba Hali at 13? I think with a top DE and Ray Ray, the D will be in much better shape. I like the Aaron Harris pick, I dont know if he will fall that far, but it would be great if he did. I have advocated either Rocky MacIntosh in the 4th or Harris in the 5th for a while.

I think Harris will drop b/c of his size, but I love his abilities and the way he plays defense.

After taking some constructive criticism, I've revised my picks and actually think I like this scenario better.

Ravens get:
-#1 pick
-Kailee Wong

Texans get:
-#13 pick
-2nd rd. #45
-2007 1st round
-2007 4th round
-Ray Lewis

After those moves, my mock would be:

1 (#13) Mathias Kiwanuka, DE
-A ferocious pass rusher...at 6' 7", he's impossible for most quarterbacks to throw over and his wingspan allows him to reach out and grab running backs that would normally slip away from average sized players...has tremendous agility and athleticism. Great potential.

2a (#33) Daryn Colledge, OT
-Great tackle that has the nasty demeanor that Kubes loves. Has quick feet which will be needed to excel in the zone-blocking scheme. Also is an excellent pass blocker, which many don't give him credit for.

2b (#45) Ko Simpson, FS
-Will be an instant starter at FS from day one. Good size, decent speed, physical and a good tackler. Equally effective as a ballhawk in coverage and in supporting the run. Great instincts and has great upside.

3a (#65) Cory Rodgers, WR
-A playmaker WR w/ good hands, he also excels in returning kicks. Described as "a sick athlete, with the ability to take it to the house each and every time he touches the ball," he could wind up being a steal. If he polishes his game a little more, he definitely has the ability to become a legitimate #2 WR opposite AJ.

3b (#66) Jonathan Joseph, CB
-Can step in immediately opposite D-Rob as our #2 corner even though he is a little raw; should improve quickly. Has good size and excellent recovery speed and is a reliable tackler who will support the run.

4 (#97) Joe Klopfenstein, TE
- Nice size and speed and a surprisingly good blocker for a 250 pounder. Runs precise routes and has soft hands. He'll fight for the ball in traffic and is an excellent target in the red zone.

5 (#129) Mark Setterstrom, OG
-Quick, athletic lineman that will fit nicely in Kubiak's zone-blocking scheme. Has the attitude that Kubes loves in his linemen.

6 (#161) Aaron Harris, MLB
-Doesn't have great size at 6' 235lbs, but is a tackling machine. A very physical player, secure tackler and can fly around from sideline to sideline making plays. He has great speed, agility, and acceleration for a linebacker. Is a very intense player with passion for playing defense, which will be groomed backing up Ray Lewis....very much in the Zack Thomas mold.

7 (#193) Jeremy Bloom, WR/PR
-Lightning fast, quick receiver that is reported to run in the 4.25 range. Decent hands and has experience returning kicks. A Jerome Mathis-type player with better development as a receiver. If he falls this far, wherever/however the Texans decide to use him, a player w/ this kind speed is always welcome on the roster.

there is NO WAY baltimore gives up ray lewis...why would they want to give up a more athletic ILB for Kaliee Wong, who is coming off a knee injury. Ray Lewis is probably the best linebacker(inside or outside) to ever play the game of football. By the was Houston doent need a tight end when kubiak signed his old one from denver...im not trying to be mean but would you reconsider your mock.

thanks,
baba ganoush

baba ganoush said:
there is NO WAY baltimore gives up ray lewis...why would they want to give up a more athletic ILB for Kaliee Wong, who is coming off a knee injury. Ray Lewis is probably the best linebacker(inside or outside) to ever play the game of football. By the was Houston doent need a tight end when kubiak signed his old one from denver...im not trying to be mean but would you reconsider your mock.

thanks,
baba ganoush

i think this was made way before putzier was signed

Back