Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2nd Round Pick?

Well, since my rep points were dented and that random person suggested I put out a list of my second round prospects, here it is:

Some of the Second Round Prospects That Fit Our Team

Eric Winston
Nick Mangold
Ko Simpson
Donte Whitner
Jason Allen
Daniel Bullocks
Cromartie
Carpenter
Richard Marshell
D'Quell Jackson
Lenord Pope
Mercedes Lewis
Wimbley
Daryn Colledge
Rashad Butler

That should be a good enough list to pick from. Much better players and positions than the original list.

So, I ask that person who dented my rep...who do you want from my list and do you realize why this is a better list?

YoungTexanFan said:
Well, since my rep points were dented and that random person suggested I put out a list of my second round prospects, here it is:

Lot's of folks are guilty of it, but when you say things so strongly as:

Work on your list if you want to propose a question like this.

You invite strong responses. Maybe providing your list and why you thought it was better might not have elicited the negative rep.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:
D'Qwell Jackson

I like this cat. It'll be interesting to see how Kubiak and Smith set our backers for next year. I still believe that Shante Orr will find his way into a lot of playing time. That kid has 'instincts' whereas Morlon actually appeared to have none....

MLB of the future - D'Qwell!

You were so critical of my list, now let's disect yours:

Eric Winston - May or may not make it to the 2nd round, if he does, I hope we pick him.
Nick Mangold - Probably a 1st rounder. Would also be a good pick if available.
Ko Simpson - Was on my list.
Donte Whitner - Probably a little early for him. Could trade down and still get him.
Jason Allen - Might be a 1st rounder as well.
Daniel Bullocks - Probably a little high for him as well, probably a late 2nd rd.
Cromartie - Probably a 1st rounder, but would be a nice pick if still here.
Carpenter - Was on my list.
Richard Marshell - Probably a 3rd rounder
D'Quell Jackson - Was on my list
Lenord Pope - Was on my list
Mercedes Lewis - Probably a little early. Doesn't block as well as Pope.
Wimbley - Probably a 1st rounder.
Daryn Colledge - Projected as 3rd rounder.
Rashad Butler - Never heard of him.

So as you see, you can pick apart anyone's list. Rather than be critical of someone's list you should just respectfully add players that you think would be a better fit (which I did state in my comment). By the way, my ratings come from an Ex-NFL General Manager, not some couch potato who thinks he knows more than everyone else.

dwilt72 said:
You were so critical of my list, now let's disect yours:

Eric Winston - May or may not make it to the 2nd round, if he does, I hope we pick him. Agree
Nick Mangold - Probably a 1st rounder. Would also be a good pick if available. Agree
Ko Simpson - Was on my list. Don't like him in the 2nd round, he's falling on a lot of boards. At #65/66 he'd be a nice option.
Donte Whitner - Probably a little early for him. Could trade down and still get him. I think he'll be a 1st round pick, probably the first safety off the board
Jason Allen - Might be a 1st rounder as well. Agree, will probably be a 1st rounder but might fall
Daniel Bullocks - Probably a little high for him as well, probably a late 2nd rd. I think he'll go early-mid 2nd, I'd look at him at #33 depending on who's there
Cromartie - Probably a 1st rounder, but would be a nice pick if still here. Agreed
Carpenter - Was on my list. I think he'll end up going end of the 1st, I'd think about him at #33 though depending on who's available
Richard Marshell - Probably a 3rd rounder I've seen him in the late 1st in some drafts, but I think he'll be more of a mid-late 2nd and I don't overly like him at #33
D'Quell Jackson - Was on my list Decent option but there are probably 15 guys I'd prefer at #33, many of which should be available
Lenord Pope - Was on my list After getting Putzier TE is not as big of a need, not sure I'd take one at #33, even Pope
Mercedes Lewis - Probably a little early. Doesn't block as well as Pope. Agreed, I wouldn't be surprised if he lasts until the mid-2nd and I don't like him at #33
Wimbley - Probably a 1st rounder. Agreed
Daryn Colledge - Projected as 3rd rounder. Agreed, probably a mid-2nd rounder at the highest, don't really like him at #33, but #65 would be fine
Rashad Butler - Never heard of him. Should not be a 2nd round pick, way too soft and not strong, not especially athletic either. Would not pick him in the 4th for our team

So as you see, you can pick apart anyone's list. Rather than be critical of someone's list you should just respectfully add players that you think would be a better fit (which I did state in my comment). By the way, my ratings come from an Ex-NFL General Manager, not some couch potato who thinks he knows more than everyone else.

I went ahead and added my comments again, not trying to pick at yours or anything just adding another opinion to the mix rather than re-posting my list.

MorKnolle said:
I went ahead and added my comments again, not trying to pick at yours or anything just adding another opinion to the mix rather than re-posting my list.

I think you and I actually agreed on most of these. I don't view it as picking at all. What I do take offense to is someone saying my list is not very good, but not being specific about what they didn't like. There are thousands of mock drafts out there and everyone is different. There really are no experts out there, even the guys on TV are hit and miss.

I really like the idea of trading down from 33. Hypothetically, we could trade down 10-15 spots and get another 3rd round pick.

According to Kiper, all these players are still available at 33:
Winston
Mangold
Addai
THali
Carpenter
Dqwell Jackson
D. Joseph
L. Pope
Abdul Hodge
Demarco Ryans
Ced Griffin
McNeill
Chris Chester

and at 65 these were still available:

Ko Simpson
G Wilkinson
Colledge
Maurice Drew
Stovall
Fasano
Dave Thomas
W. Blackmon
Chris Spencer

so, we could still get a great player in the middle of the second and an additional quality player in the middle of the 3rd.

Picking the 1st pick of the 2nd round is great because there are always those guys who fall for some unknown reason. And I guarantee ya'll some chap will fall.

That is an important barganing chip. If one of the OT isn't falling to us, or an important cornerback, or a stud Defensive End, or a guy who was on the Texans top 10 picks (stranger things have happened). I say auction off the pick and maybe get another third round pick and a lower 2nd round pick.

The Texans need quality players. And there are a lot a quality talent guys in the 2nd and 3rd round.

But, heck, it is nice having that 1st pick in the 2nd round, the possibilities :drool:

Back