Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2nd Round, Pick 50, Nick Martin, C

eriadoc

Texan-American
Love the pick. I'll never complain about taking OL. By all accounts, this guy is a put him in and forget it pick. Love it.

Texans receive:
» 2016 second-round pick (No. 50): Nick Martin

Falcons receive:
» 2016 second-round pick (No. 52): Deion Jones
» 2016 sixth-round pick (No. 195)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JB

HOME DRAFT TRACKER MOCK DRAFTS COLLEGE FOOTBALL 24/7 HISTORY DRAFT TOWN PHOTOS SOCIAL

SEARCH BY

2016 Draft Prospects
GRADE
2555189.jpg

Nick Martin (OG)
HT: 6'4" WT: 299LBS.

POSITION: OG

SCHOOL: Notre Dame

ARM LENGTH: 32 1/2"

HANDS: 9 3/4"

Overview
Teams already know what to expect from Nick, as his brother Zack excelled in his first two seasons with Dallas after being selected in the first round in 2014. Nick will bring versatility along with the family toughness to an NFL team. He moves between center and guard without an issue (started at left guard 10 games in 2014, three games at center that year as well as most of 2013 and all of 2015), displaying a strong anchor in pass pro and nimble feet to attack linebackers in the run game. Teams envying the Cowboys' prodigious but athletic front line should consider picking up this Golden Domer.

• SELECTED BY: Texans
  • ROUND: 2
  • PICK (OVERALL): 19 (50)
PICK ANALYSIS:
"The Texans signed a quarterback in free agent. So, first you draft a wide receiver in Will Fuller. Then, you draft one of the top centers in the draft. Martin could play in the league for 10 years." -- Mike Mayock

COMBINE STATS
  • 40 YARD DASH: 5.22 SEC
  • BENCH PRESS: 28 REPS
  • BROAD JUMP: 97.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 7.57 SEC
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.72 SEC

ANALYSIS
Strengths
Loves to play the game as physically as he can. Plays with a mean streak and then some. Finishes a block with authority if he gets the advantage. Showed ability to anchor and play with strengths against power across from him. Usually first into defender after snap. Despite some hip stiffness, moves fairly well when asked to get out in front of screen plays. Keeps head on a swivel at all times. Aware of both gaps when in pass protection and he's uncovered. Plays with wide base in pass pro. Often first to get hands on pass rusher and will get some extension early in the rep. Gets the most out of average length. Team captain and unchallenged leader up front. Has started at guard and center while at Notre Dame so may offer roster flexibility.

Weaknesses
Looks labored in his movement. Stiffness in hips stymies ability to sink and anchor. Leads with upper body too often and plays with weight out over his feet. Needs to bring his feet up under him. Had issues redirecting with power against pass rushers who gained early advantage. Gets jostled around and has to work overtime to stay engaged against powerful players. Will struggle to reach and secure move blocks. Can improve with recognition of blitzes.

I don't get it ? We need help at OT and they use this very valuable 2nd round pick on an interior OLineman just like a couple years with the X-man ?
I mean Newt is a marginal NFL OT we got in like the 6th or 7th round at RT and LT Duane Brown is getting old and fading off into the sunset and Billy & Rick are using 2nd round picks on interior offensive linemen ? You can get starting NFL guards & centers in the 4th and 5th rounds ?

I don't get it ? We need help at OT and they use this very valuable 2nd round pick on an interior OLineman just like a couple years with the X-man ?
I mean Newt is a marginal NFL OT we got in like the 6th or 7th round at RT and LT Duane Brown is getting old and fading off into the sunset and Billy & Rick are using 2nd round picks on interior offensive linemen ? You can get starting NFL guards & centers in the 4th and 5th rounds ?
We do need a Center.

Center was our biggest Need heading into the draft. You might get a Starting C in the 4th or 5th - but it's Not necessarily likely. And if you don't our O-line Looks a lot worse. And I do think you undervalue C a bit....

This pick teils me, that they are Not too worried about Brown. And I don't think they are ready to give up on Newton.

I think there were only two centers worth drafting. There are about six developmental tackles on the board. Guys on par with Spriggs imo.

Count me a happy camper. Speed at a position of need in the first- 29tds in 2 yrs? Hell yes.

Center in the 2nd. We just locked that position down for a decade.

Now gimme a de and a safety.

Yeah.. Okoye was a weird choice.

Let's remind every Texans fan of one of our biggest busts..

At least we didn't pick a kicker in the second round, like the bucks..

There was no OT there worth taking after Green Bay traded up for Spriggs.

Hopefully Rick Smith doesn't panic in the third round and give away the rest of our 2016 picks. Seems like he panics every time their pick get close. Love the pick though.

Yeah.. Okoye was a weird choice.

Let's remind every Texans fan of one of our biggest busts..

At least we didn't pick a kicker in the second round, like the bucks..

All their other 1st rounders are still playing... well, it could be David Carr.

I like the pick we need a starting C and from what I have heard the guy we signed from the Raiders is more of a backup C/G type player than a starter.

HOME DRAFT TRACKER MOCK DRAFTS COLLEGE FOOTBALL 24/7 HISTORY DRAFT TOWN PHOTOS SOCIAL

SEARCH BY

2016 Draft Prospects
GRADE
2555189.jpg

Nick Martin (OG)
HT: 6'4" WT: 299LBS.

POSITION: OG

SCHOOL: Notre Dame

ARM LENGTH: 32 1/2"

HANDS: 9 3/4"

Overview
Teams already know what to expect from Nick, as his brother Zack excelled in his first two seasons with Dallas after being selected in the first round in 2014. Nick will bring versatility along with the family toughness to an NFL team. He moves between center and guard without an issue (started at left guard 10 games in 2014, three games at center that year as well as most of 2013 and all of 2015), displaying a strong anchor in pass pro and nimble feet to attack linebackers in the run game. Teams envying the Cowboys' prodigious but athletic front line should consider picking up this Golden Domer.

• SELECTED BY: Texans
  • ROUND: 2
  • PICK (OVERALL): 19 (50)
PICK ANALYSIS:
"The Texans signed a quarterback in free agent. So, first you draft a wide receiver in Will Fuller. Then, you draft one of the top centers in the draft. Martin could play in the league for 10 years." -- Mike Mayock

COMBINE STATS
  • 40 YARD DASH: 5.22 SEC
  • BENCH PRESS: 28 REPS
  • BROAD JUMP: 97.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 7.57 SEC
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.72 SEC

ANALYSIS
Strengths
Loves to play the game as physically as he can. Plays with a mean streak and then some. Finishes a block with authority if he gets the advantage. Showed ability to anchor and play with strengths against power across from him. Usually first into defender after snap. Despite some hip stiffness, moves fairly well when asked to get out in front of screen plays. Keeps head on a swivel at all times. Aware of both gaps when in pass protection and he's uncovered. Plays with wide base in pass pro. Often first to get hands on pass rusher and will get some extension early in the rep. Gets the most out of average length. Team captain and unchallenged leader up front. Has started at guard and center while at Notre Dame so may offer roster flexibility.

Weaknesses
Looks labored in his movement. Stiffness in hips stymies ability to sink and anchor. Leads with upper body too often and plays with weight out over his feet. Needs to bring his feet up under him. Had issues redirecting with power against pass rushers who gained early advantage. Gets jostled around and has to work overtime to stay engaged against powerful players. Will struggle to reach and secure move blocks. Can improve with recognition of blitzes.
You left out:
SOURCES TELL US
"He was much more athletic before his knee injury. He's had to fight through some physical limitations and I know that he's been frustrated because of that. He struggled in 2014 and I thought he still looked a little beat up this year. If he can get healthy, he'll start in our league." -- NFC North scout
NFL COMPARISON
John Sullivan
BOTTOM LINE
Three-year starter who possesses the leadership, intelligence and toughness that general managers and offensive line coaches look for from their centers. A season ending knee injury in 2013 might have taken away some of his natural bend and athleticism, but Martin's play strength and toughness should make him an early starter in the league at either guard or center.-Lance Zierlein

I actually really like this pick. Rick is doing really good this year's draft IMO and offseason or is it BoB?

If they turn out to be gamers, RickyBoBy will argue it was their pick.
If they both bust, RickyBoBy will argue it was the other guy's pick

Count me a happy camper. Speed at a position of need in the first- 29tds in 2 yrs? Hell yes.

Center in the 2nd. We just locked that position down for a decade.

Now gimme a de and a safety.

I liked Doctson & Treadwell better than Fuller at WR .... but I aint gonna complain as they went with him for a specific purpose ....

This pick was a big need filled with a quality prospect interior OL can make or break a team ....

I'm with you on both DE & S .... But I want an RT too. Maybe before either of the other two.

This is the first time in a long time where I felt the FO had a clear strong plan going into this offseason and draft. I am not sure if this is because of BoB's influence, but it's like Rick finally grew a pair this year. We had plans and we had backup plans. First we grab Os and Miller after getting tired of Foster being hurt and Hoyer being...well, Hoyer. We lose Brooks and Jones, but INSTANTLY replaced them with Allen and Bergstrom. We want to give our offense breathing room and more speed, they draft Fuller, literally the fastest WR in the draft. Since C is important with Bergstrom being more fit for depth, we got one of the top C's in the draft. Both times, we also traded up with meaningless 6th round picks to get the guy that we WANTED. This is strategy. This is advanced planning. This is damn near unheard of for a FO that IMO reacts more than acts. I am stoked guys!

This is the first time in a long time where I felt the FO had a clear strong plan going into this offseason and draft. I am not sure if this is because of BoB's influence, but it's like Rick finally grew a pair this year. We had plans and we had backup plans. First we grab Os and Miller after getting tired of Foster being hurt and Hoyer being...well, Hoyer. We lose Brooks and Jones, but INSTANTLY replaced them with Allen and Bergstrom. We want to give our offense breathing room and more speed, they draft Fuller, literally the fastest WR in the draft. Since C is important with Bergstrom being more fit for depth, we got one of the top C's in the draft. Both times, we also traded up with meaningless 6th round picks to get the guy that we WANTED. This is strategy. This is advanced planning. This is damn near unheard of for a FO that IMO reacts more than acts. I am stoked guys!

Good news is BOB will get the scouts he wants next yr after the 3 long time scouts retire. The Texans org needs fresh blood in the scouting dept since we all know Rick watches very little tape.

Good news is BOB will get the scouts he wants next yr after the 3 long time scouts retire. The Texans org needs fresh blood in the scouting dept since we all know Rick watches very little tape.

Maybe we can poach some from Cheesehead Country. I always envied the Packer's scouting team personally.

There was no OT there worth taking after Green Bay traded up for Spriggs.
The following OTs were all on our Board when we drafted Martin: Shone Coleman, Auburn; Joe Thuney, North Carolina State; Laverne Clark Texans Tech. Also thee were several DTs taken like Austin Johnson after our pick. And we signed two Guards/centers in
free agency in recent weeke. We nee help at OT and Dline, not on the interior Oline.

Like OB is hiring scouts. Where do you get this stuff?

I bet he has input.

Gaine was a BOB guy.

Who do you think is going to hire the scouts and is this a one person job? Or do you think that McNair/BOB/Rick will make another group decision?

Back