Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2024 Free Agency

You also said he is not a gifted runner
Whoa I'm getting some real pushback on my CM evaluation !
First time I saw him was in his last year in college @ Stanford when he caught a little pass in the
flat and took it down the sidelines about 45-50 yards for a TD, and I thought dang that's one
fast white boy ! So after a little research I found out that the great Dave Sime was his grandpa:
OK now I get it !

First time I saw him was in his last year in college @ Stanford when he caught a little pass in the
flat and took it down the sidelines about 45-50 yards for a TD, and I thought dang that's one
fast white boy ! So after a little research I found out that the great Dave Sime was his grandpa:
OK now I get it !
so you just disregarded all his years in Carolina and in SF???
C. McCaffrey has been a beast since he's come into the league. All you have to do is watch one game and see just how good he is....not only at toting the rock but also running routes and catching passes. He runs hard with tenacity and refuses to go down fighting for every inch he can get....Thats all the "research" thats required.

so you just disregarded all his years in Carolina and in SF???
C. McCaffrey has been a beast since he's come into the league. All you have to do is watch one game and see just how good he is....not only at toting the rock but also running routes and catching passes. He runs hard with tenacity and refuses to go down fighting for every inch he can get....Thats all the "research" thats required.
You know what I have very little recollection of his pro career until he was traded to San Fran which of course has been just relatively recently. Living in an AFC city like I do and Carolina getting minimal exposure especially here in large part has a lot to with the opportunities I've
had to watch him play.
And yes I'm probably guilty of too deeply discounting Christian's ability & skills of toting the rock - I'm sorry !

OK now I get it !
(1) NFL Network on X: "“He can RUN run!” 😳 @DeionSanders was VERY impressed with @Traps_5’s 4.35u 40-yard dash 😂 📺: #NFLCombine LIVE on NFL Network https://t.co/zlFMQUGp92" / X (twitter.com)

I would add Pollard to this list.

You can probably get Dugger for 3yrs 40 mil and Ekeler for 3yrs 21 mil.

This means you probably can't bring back Greenard and Edge becomes a high priority on the draft list. 2 guys I like a lot are Chop and Darius Robinson at 1-23.
The problem with edge becomes the fact that all the guys around that pick, like the ones you mentioned, are essentially developmental guys. Meaning we'd likely need to have a vet there (and that costs $) or our d-line could massively suffer and if the trenches are suffering this whole defense is going to suffer badly.

Imagine we go out there and out starting edges are Will and Tyree Wilson part 2. That spells disaster to me in my opnion. Especially if will were to get hurt for any amount of time.

I'd far rather just keep Greenard instead of risking tanking the d-line.

The problem with edge becomes the fact that all the guys around that pick, like the ones you mentioned, are essentially developmental guys. Meaning we'd likely need to have a vet there (and that costs $) or our d-line could massively suffer and if the trenches are suffering this whole defense is going to suffer badly.

Imagine we go out there and out starting edges are Will and Tyree Wilson part 2. That spells disaster to me in my opnion. Especially if will were to get hurt for any amount of time.

I'd far rather just keep Greenard instead of risking tanking the d-line.
That's why you bring back Barnett to go a long with Sanders and hopefully Horton. Also if you want to play it safe draft Darius Robinson. Lower upside but less risk. IMHO I trust Ryans on this one.

The biggest question would have to be, who would be the bigger impact for the 2024 season.....Singletary or Barkley? Singletary may command 17-20M over 3 years while Barkley could be 25-30M over 3 years. If the OL is truly healthy, either guy could have a big impact on the running game.....if money is the deciding factor, I'd award Singletary the contract b/c he'd cost less and probably winds up just as effective.

I guess my RB room looks like this in 2024:

Devin Singletary (Re-Signed) He did an outstanding job behind a make-shift OL, so one has to truly wonder what he does behind an improved OL.

Jaylen Wright (Drafted RD3) Wright is a bigger and faster back, who can become a better receiver. Wright is already a very good blocker in the backfield. Grooming him behind DS would be a plus.

Dameon Pierce (On Roster) Pierce may have had a hard time adjusting to the new system. He still comes cheap and could be kept to see if he improves with a better OL. If he does turn the corner in YR3.....watch out b/c the Texans could have an awesome 3 headed tandem in the backfield. I also see him providing the ST's unit help as the primary return man. I'd like to see Dell on the sideline for punts.

Dare Ogunbawale (On Roster) He remains as the RB4 in this group b/c of his familiarity with the offense and he's an excellent ST's player.

Last edited:
Yes, Devin is ok as a pass catcher. He's passable, but not special. Saquan is near elite as a pass catcher. He's not CMC, but who is? He'd bring a whole new dimension to the pass game imho.

Definitely an upgrade to the short passing game. Which comes in handy when an elite defense, injuries and poor weather take away the deep passing game. Which happens in the playoffs.

The reported increase to the 2024 salary cap of 30 million plus dollars will be extremely helpful but it will also keep us from going after other teams players who will now more likely sign with their own team.
From $225 m to $255 is surprising all.

Xavien Howard expected to be released.

Wonder if we'll have interest.

Kind of had a few instances of being a little ***** throughout his career though. I dunno.

That's an extra 10-15m in cap space that was not expected. That could make going for a couple of those big name players like Jones and Evans more palatable, while retaining quite a few of our guys.
Releasing a few underperforming guys on one year contracts will open up a bit more too

That's an extra 10-15m in cap space that was not expected. That could make going for a couple of those big name players like Jones and Evans more palatable, while retaining quite a few of our guys.
Perhaps, it also allows teams to keep their own. KC greater likelihood of keeping Chris Jones and Snead.
Bears did not need it to sign Jalen Johnson but for some reason they still have not. This will also allow the Bears to negotiate with Johnson saying they can use the extra $12 million to help him.

Draft QB and WR and sign Danielle Hunter or Greenard. Don't get me wrong, I know we can use the cap space but was hoping before this that teams would have to let some players go that they would rather keep.

Anyone interested in Tee Higgins…the Bengals are franchise tagging him. I like Tee, but I felt pretty strongly the Bengals would either sign or tag him. Onward and upward!

Interesting take from Aaron Schatz, suggesting the Texans make a "BOLD" move to trade for Khalil Mack to fill the hole across from Anderson. If traded, I believe he becomes a 1 year $23,250,000 cost to the team acquiring him, and he's quite the player for that amount. Not sure what he would cost to extend at 33 years old, but it might be worth it if he's able to be had for a 5th round pick.

I also like the idea they had for the Vikings in trading Justin Jefferson and going into rebuild mode, he makes 19.7m this year. They aren't winning a Super Bowl with Kirk Cousins, and they don't have a ton of prospects in their future. Jefferson is an amazing young WR, and if he could come here for a 2nd/3rd and sign an extension, he amplify this offense greatly. I would much rather spend 25m a year over 5 years on JJ than an aging Evans.

AFC SOUTH
i
Houston Texans
Trade for OLB Khalil Mack

Mack, who just turned 33, had 17 sacks last season for the Chargers and he would come with a huge contract. He has a $38.5 million cap number, and the Chargers are nearly $46 million over the cap for 2024. Trading Mack before June 1 would save them over $23 million in cap space.

The Texans, on the other hand, have $57 million in cap space. They also have the space to bring Mack in with starting edge rusher Jonathan Greenard hitting free agency. Imagine Mack playing opposite Will Anderson Jr., with opponents able to double-team only one of them. It probably wouldn't cost the Texans a very high draft pick while bringing a big addition to their defense.

Interesting take from Aaron Schatz, suggesting the Texans make a "BOLD" move to trade for Khalil Mack to fill the hole across from Anderson. If traded, I believe he becomes a 1 year $23,250,000 cost to the team acquiring him, and he's quite the player for that amount. Not sure what he would cost to extend at 33 years old, but it might be worth it if he's able to be had for a 5th round pick.

I also like the idea they had for the Vikings in trading Justin Jefferson and going into rebuild mode, he makes 19.7m this year. They aren't winning a Super Bowl with Kirk Cousins, and they don't have a ton of prospects in their future. Jefferson is an amazing young WR, and if he could come here for a 2nd/3rd and sign an extension, he amplify this offense greatly. I would much rather spend 25m a year over 5 years on JJ than an aging Evans.

No way in hell J. Jefferson could be had for a 2nd and 3rd....but man if it could be had would I jump all over that in a HEARTBEAT.

Do you know how to make an egg omelette? First you start with an egg...
To make a trade with a fifth round pick, you first have to have a fifth round pick...

😉

No way in hell J. Jefferson could be had for a 2nd and 3rd....but man if it could be had would I jump all over that in a HEARTBEAT.
Deandre Hopkins was traded for a 2nd and 4th in his contract year, so maybe it could happen. 19.7m is a lot of money, plus the extension means there may not be a ton of teams bidding on him. Depends on who else is interested. Tyreke Hill went for a lot more in a similar situation, but he also was the best WR in the league at the time and got a 4 year and 120 million extension with it.

Deandre Hopkins was traded for a 2nd and 4th in his contract year, so maybe it could happen. 19.7m is a lot of money, plus the extension means there may not be a ton of teams bidding on him. Depends on who else is interested. Tyreke Hill went for a lot more in a similar situation, but he also was the best WR in the league at the time and got a 4 year and 120 million extension with it.
Jefferson 2 yrs ago was considered the best WR in the NFL. So I would expect a trade package to be similar to Hill's in both draft picks and yrs/money. If I'm Caserio I pass and look for another Collins/Dell.

Getting Mack for that would be a dream come true for me.

Releasing a few underperforming guys on one year contracts will open up a bit more too
Really? If you release a player from the 53, that spot has to be filled with another player.

I don't understand all this speculating about how much money the Texans have for signing all these big name players. The Texans have about 30 free agent openings on the team that need to be filled. Of these, maybe 10 are higher dollar contracts.. How much will this take? If you take the 10, is an average of $3M reasonable? Then the other 20, maybe $1M each? That's about $50M. That leaves, maybe, $20M for signing splash players. Just ball parking, does this sound about right? So, maybe 2 or 3 higher dollar signings?

Really? If you release a player from the 53, that spot has to be filled with another player.

I don't understand all this speculating about how much money the Texans have for signing all these big name players. The Texans have about 30 free agent openings on the team that need to be filled. Of these, maybe 10 are higher dollar contracts.. How much will this take? If you take the 10, is an average of $3M reasonable? Then the other 20, maybe $1M each? That's about $50M. That leaves, maybe, $20M for signing splash players. Just ball parking, does this sound about right? So, maybe 2 or 3 higher dollar signings?
Except 5-10 of these roster spots will be filled by draft picks and UDFA's. Another 5- 10 will be filled by minimum FA types. Then you have the 3 cheap LS, K,P guys. So there will be more cap space than meets the eye.

Plus you can cut Woods and save another 5mil in addition to going to the bank of Tunsil if needed. Cap space should be available to add 1 top tier FA and a couple of Whitehead, Al Shaair type FA's.

Well Robert Woods isn't worth keeping around if you can save 5m by cutting him. Having 79m in space after that move gives a lot of leeway to make some splashes. If you can throw 30m of it at Chris Jones to get the D-line and pass rush solidified for the next 4 years, I think that's pretty substantial. It also means you don't need quite as good of a secondary if you can constantly pressure QBs from both sides. 9m for Barkley, 4m for a kicker, 2m for a punter, 5m for Cashman, 5m for Nelson, and you still have 24m to fill out the rest of the roster. The Texans could save a bit by drafting a kicker or punter with one of those 7ths to save a couple million over the next 4 years too.

Well Robert Woods isn't worth keeping around if you can save 5m by cutting him. Having 79m in space after that move gives a lot of leeway to make some splashes. If you can throw 30m of it at Chris Jones to get the D-line and pass rush solidified for the next 4 years, I think that's pretty substantial. It also means you don't need quite as good of a secondary if you can constantly pressure QBs from both sides. 9m for Barkley, 4m for a kicker, 2m for a punter, 5m for Cashman, 5m for Nelson, and you still have 24m to fill out the rest of the roster. The Texans could save a bit by drafting a kicker or punter with one of those 7ths to save a couple million over the next 4 years too.

I would go as high as 7 mil for Cashman and sign a guy like S Whitehead for 3 mil or so and re-sign Schultz for around 3 yrs 30 mil.

Hopefully just 2...Saquon which shouldnt cost a lot, and some D help...whether at DE, or an athletic LB that can blitz and cover.

Hopefully just 2...Saquon which shouldnt cost a lot, and some D help...whether at DE, or an athletic LB that can blitz and cover.
I would love to add Wilkins,Pollard Whitehead and Brown.

Then have the draft fall the way the group mock is going over the in the draft section and I would be very happy.

I would be very happy if it didn't go that way
Do you not like the picks. Which ones dont you like?

I was torn between picking Mustafa and Wright to go with Johnson at 4-124 and 4-125. A good case can be made to go either way.

Do you not like the picks. Which ones dont you like?

I was torn between picking Mustafa and Wright to go with Johnson at 4-124 and 4-125. A good case can be made to go either way.
I don't want them to sign Pollard or Brown, I don't want to sign a first round WR that doesn't bring anything new to the room or has drop problems and I don't want an injury prone LB in the 3rd

Back