Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Free Agency

I dunno is Aiyuk a FA, or are you thinking about a potential trade ? Would Aiyuk be worth
a second round pick ?
While there was gossip about possible trade a few weeks ago from several sources, my question was about setting Nico Collins contract after that of Brandon's. Their stats are very similar. Aiyuk is definitely worth a round 2 but his contract extension + Nico's would be interesting 🤔.

I wouldn’t. The higher the contracts of the upper echelon Wars go, the more Nico will ask for. If they want to sign him long term, best to do it know. IMHO
Perhaps but there's also the "we have [new guy] and Tank; we can play you this season and then tag you. Sure are a lot of WRs thru round 4... guess we can go get one of those to replace you? Love to have you.. but not at your agent's price."

My preference, would be trading with the Carolina Panthers, for Derrick Brown, DT. He’s proven NFL product, dominant 3 down run defender, still young going into final year of rookie contract. Plug & play, difference maker for DeMeco DL.
Mine would be to get a vet CB like Jackson in here to lend some experience to the secondary as I don't trust rookie CBs as much as I do a rookie DT.
The skill positions take longer to adjust to and good DTs are easier to find in lower rounds - generally speaking.
If I have to draft a CB, I need one in the first round at least.
Also, this is a deep WR class so you have the luxury of not burning your first pick on one of those so this then allows you to take the best DT on the board with #42 then WR with #59
Same with Safety - a decent one of these also can be had in rounds 2 or 3.
We have a receiving TE in Schultz, so now you go for a known blocker that can get to the second level - you should be able to get one in a mid round.
RBs are a mixed bag - these are seemingly undervalued in today's league and tend to slide down the board or even off it so you can afford to leave your choice for the later rounds.

While there was gossip about possible trade a few weeks ago from several sources, my question was about setting Nico Collins contract after that of Brandon's. Their stats are very similar. Aiyuk is definitely worth a round 2 but his contract extension + Nico's would be interesting 🤔.
There are plenty of Aiyuks in this draft. He's replaceable like Tee Higgins

Collins needs to be extended.
Caught Nico being asked this question and he laughed, said he was excited to see how well he does this season, expecting bigger production and more money so don't get your hopes up he takes that discount now, he is going to play it out.

Caught Nico being asked this question and he laughed, said he was excited to see how well he does this season, expecting bigger production and more money so don't get your hopes up he takes that discount now, he is going to play it out.
I dont think he's going to give a hometown discount. But if they pay him this offseason it will save money in the long run. Rather than waiting until next offseason to re-sign Collins.

I dont think he's going to give a hometown discount. But if they pay him this offseason it will save money in the long run. Rather than waiting until next offseason to re-sign Collins.
I reckon there will be a lot of successes from this years WR draft so there is no need to panic.
If Nico earns a big payday, he may find it hard to find a buyer.
If he holds out, you swing a deal another way.

Missing my point, if they pay him this offseason as opposed to next offseason it would be a discount, possibly heavily discounted, and his agent has advised him as much. So don’t expect it to happen, although we, as Texan fans would love move.

Missing my point, if they pay him this offseason as opposed to next offseason it would be a discount, possibly heavily discounted, and his agent has advised him as much. So don’t expect it to happen, although we, as Texan fans would love move.
I thought Collins said he was open to an extension and Caserio said he would try to get an extension done after the draft.

Makes sense since Collins only got 3rd rd money for 3 yrs and Caserio will offer Collins generational wealth.

I thought Collins said he was open to an extension and Caserio said he would try to get an extension done after the draft.

Makes sense since Collins only got 3rd rd money for 3 yrs and Caserio will offer Collins generational wealth.
Except that WR cost went way up with salary cap.

Or his agent advised him that he could tear his knee or ankle out midseason and he's out tens of millions..

So in that case maybe expect it..

Or his agent advised him that he could tear his knee or ankle out midseason and he's out tens of millions..

So in that case maybe expect it..

I’d expect Nico is betting on himself to continue performing elite level then pursue contract commensurate with 2025 WR market value.

Diggs! Add Diggs to this WR room, and now your talking about a big time move on offense…more than Mixon.. We already know they went hard after Allen, so they are on the hunt for a vet star WR. We also know Diggs wants out of Buffalo and the Texans have already been linked to Diggs.

Put 2+2 together guys. This isn’t rocket science. They are working on bringing Diggs here and signing an extension.

I suspect Diggs was unhappy with his role in the Bills offense this season. In their last 9 games when Joe Brady took over playcalling, he had 6 games averaging less than 7.5 yards per reception. Robert Woods had 4 games with less than 7.5 YPC all season…

However, Bills went 7-2 in that span only losing to the Eagles in OT and Chiefs in playoffs, both by 3 points.

His usage changed in Buffalo, but the team was winning. I suspect the Bills regret handing him that 4 year 96 million extension in 2022, but then again that’s Calvin Ridley money nowadays…

He’s certainly a better player than Ridley. And I would expect him to have better numbers than Robert Woods over the course of a season. But I don’t know if his role would be that much different than it was the second half of the season with the Bills. I think he’d take the Robert Woods role. Leaving Nico/Tank as the big play threats in this offense.

And if that’s the case, I don’t want to pay for that. And I don’t want to hear stories of him complaining about usage when the team is winning either.

Him and Keenan Allen have been two of the best route runners in the league the past 10 years though. Certainly fits the mold of the type of WR acquisition they would look into making if they were in on Allen.

Last edited:
Except that WR cost went way up with salary cap.
Ok, what's your point? He said what he said.

With Collins injury history taking the money now would be his best move.

BTW, if they trade for Diggs and don't extend Collins this off-season I could see them letting Collins walk This is also another reason I'm a proponent of drafting a wr in the 2nd.

Last edited:
Imo, Nico is more of a big play threat if he can stay healthy. He led nfl in broken tackles at wr and he missed 3 games. If he does that again, Texans or someone will pay him.
I saw that the other day and was pleasantly surprised.
That should reap rewards when operating in the opponents side of the field.

My preference, would be trading with the Carolina Panthers, for Derrick Brown, DT. He’s proven NFL product, dominant 3 down run defender, still young going into final year of rookie contract. Plug & play, difference maker for DeMeco DL.
This would be the most logical move with the newly created salary cap space. He instantly fills a huge hole. And with such a deep draft at WR, we should be able to snag a very good WR without having to give up additional draft capital & signing him to a huge contract. A huge contract that will only complicate resigning Nico. I also wouldn't mind seeing them sign Stephon Gilmore to a one to two year contract.

Mine would be to get a vet CB like Jackson in here to lend some experience to the secondary as I don't trust rookie CBs as much as I do a rookie DT.
The skill positions take longer to adjust to and good DTs are easier to find in lower rounds - generally speaking.
If I have to draft a CB, I need one in the first round at least.
Also, this is a deep WR class so you have the luxury of not burning your first pick on one of those so this then allows you to take the best DT on the board with #42 then WR with #59
Same with Safety - a decent one of these also can be had in rounds 2 or 3.
We have a receiving TE in Schultz, so now you go for a known blocker that can get to the second level - you should be able to get one in a mid round.
RBs are a mixed bag - these are seemingly undervalued in today's league and tend to slide down the board or even off it so you can afford to leave your choice for the later rounds.
There are a lot of worthwhile directions in front of them to progress, I’m just leaning into DeMeco’s comments to fortify defensive front, like San Francisco.

I would love Simmons for all the reasons Texasphan stated. I think he's still got some game and would instantly be our best safety. I don't trust Pitre at this point. He was terrible last year. Having a solid vet across from him on the field, in meetings, and in the locker room would be a gamble I'd easily take.

But nobody has signed him. Water eventually finds its level. After the draft, teams will come back for one more swing at some of the remaining FA's. Simmons is likely asking for a number that teams don't want to pay. Eventually, he'll agree to a lower number. I'd like the Texans to be one of the teams waiting in the wings.

I would love Simmons for all the reasons Texasphan stated. I think he's still got some game and would instantly be our best safety. I don't trust Pitre at this point. He was terrible last year. Having a solid vet across from him on the field, in meetings, and in the locker room would be a gamble I'd easily take.

But nobody has signed him. Water eventually finds its level. After the draft, teams will come back for one more swing at some of the remaining FA's. Simmons is likely asking for a number that teams don't want to pay. Eventually, he'll agree to a lower number. I'd like the Texans to be one of the teams waiting in the wings.
I remember when Jimmy Ward was on the field with Pitre, his play was much better.

Back