Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Draft Talk

I disagree about the read and react with the defense. Meco doesn't allow his front to just rush the QB and try to stop the run on the way. Go look at how Greenard and Anderson play the run 1st. If your dline rushes upfield and allow the ol to get on your lbs, its gonna be a long day.
They have predetermined lanes and paths they hit each snap. It's not just rush the qb but it's also not a read and react defense either.

I am looking at a backup TE in the 4th round. Someone who can develop behind Schultz and traits to be a quality weapon for Stroud when called upon.

In this cluster of players I have:

Cade Stover
Ben Sinnott
Jared Wiley
Tip Reiman

Stover/Sinnott probably need a 3rd to get them. But all intrigue me.

Looking into Wiley more, he is like a more high upside Quitoriano. Has the frame to put on more mass and would bring a missing dimension to the offense as that big Darren Fells type target in goal line situations. 8 tds last season, I could see him catching some TDs from Stroud in goal to go situations in this offense.

Wiley was also a team captain, first team all big 12 and academic all big 12. I’m shocked he hasn’t been linked to the Texans yet because those are all things DeMeco/Nick look for in a player. Plus traits, plus intangibles, just go get the guy!

I am looking at a backup TE in the 4th round. Someone who can develop behind Schultz and traits to be a quality weapon for Stroud when called upon.

In this cluster of players I have:

Cade Stover
Ben Sinnott
Jared Wiley
Tip Reiman

Stover/Sinnott probably need a 3rd to get them. But all intrigue me.

Looking into Wiley more, he is like a more high upside Quitoriano. Has the frame to put on more mass and would bring a missing dimension to the offense as that big Darren Fells type target in goal line situations. 8 tds last season, I could see him catching some TDs from Stroud in goal to go situations in this offense.

Wiley was also a team captain, first team all big 12 and academic all big 12. I’m shocked he hasn’t been linked to the Texans yet because those are all things DeMeco/Nick look for in a player. Plus traits, plus intangibles, just go get the guy!
I've got

1st Bowers
2nd Sanders
3rd Wiley
3rd Stover
3rd Sinnott
4th Reihman

You're underrating Wiley as a blocker, he's better than Sinnott in this aspect of the game.

You can also use Wiley from the slot where he can use his athleticism. Sinnott is also a very good athlete.

Another advantage Wiley has over any other TE in this class including Bowers is at 6'7 he's a great RZ target and had a great number when it came to TD's vs RZ targets. He has a chance to be the 2nd best TE in this class, better than Sanders. He also played QB in highschool so he understands routes..

He's well worth 3-86 IMHO.

Last edited:
I've got

1st Bowers
2nd Sanders
3rd Wiley
3rd Sinnott
4th Reihman

You're underrating Wiley as a blocker, he's better than Sinnott in this aspect of the game.

You can also use Wiley from the slot where he can use his athleticism. Sinnott is also a very good athlete.

Another advantage Wiley has over any other TE in this class including Bowers is at 6'7 he's a great RZ target and had a great number when it came to TD's vs RZ targets. He has a chance to be the 2nd best TE in this class, better than Sanders. He also played QB in highschool so he understands routes..

Good analysis.

I've got

1st Bowers
2nd Sanders
3rd Wiley
3rd Sinnott
4th Reihman

Where do you rank Stover?

I was reading an article about market inefficiency in the NFL draft, and it got me thinking about other draft market inefficiencies. There are 8 new head coaches in the NFL this season. Most with new front offices. Those new coaching staffs have no commitment to the previous regime's players. Especially, the players from the recent drafts that have yet to established themselves. This may allow established organizations to offer less than full price for players that may not be a fit with the schemes of the new systems. Also, some staffs may prefer 4 years of fresh players vs 3 years of a player that still has a previous system in their head.

I made a short list of players that would fit these criteria (2nd year, coaches recently fired, not really established in the league).

Emmanuel Forbes - CB - Commanders
Daiyan Henley - LB - Chargers
Derick Hall - DE - Seahawks
Zach Harrison - DE - Falcons
Braden Daniels - OL - Commanders
Josh Whyle - TE - Tennessee

A trade like this could give the new organization another building block and the established team a player they liked in the previous draft at a discounted price.

I was reading an article about market inefficiency in the NFL draft, and it got me thinking about other draft market inefficiencies. There are 8 new head coaches in the NFL this season. Most with new front offices. Those new coaching staffs have no commitment to the previous regime's players. Especially, the players from the recent drafts that have yet to established themselves. This may allow established organizations to offer less than full price for players that may not be a fit with the schemes of the new systems. Also, some staffs may prefer 4 years of fresh players vs 3 years of a player that still has a previous system in their head.

I made a short list of players that would fit these criteria (2nd year, coaches recently fired, not really established in the league).

A trade like this could give the new organization another building block and the established team a player they liked in the previous draft at a discounted price.
I liked Henley last year.

This draft season is odd. About a week out and even without a first round pick I'm still pretty excited for the draft. Yes, I know that you can find talent in rounds 2-7, but we all know that the juice is all in the first round. Yes, I'll be locked in on Thursday night.

😉 now you thinking! Not just trades but I'm guessing some out right cuts. We saw Nick take advantage of that already. After draft, some guys will be unexpected cuts as TC ends and 90 gets reduced.

Also, I like Forbes. Daniels I would give a 4th for. LG or RT.

Yeah, I know we traded for Diggs and need another DT, CB, S, OL…..but….

if Roman Wilson is still there, I wouldn’t hesitate. Not for a second.

If the draft fell perfectly for me we would come away with a swing OT, swing interior OL, TE2, DT and CB/S (BPA between the two positions).

Scenario I could see:

Ideally one of the first round rated OTs fall to 42. We’ll say Kingsley Suamataia or Jordan Morgan.

Then a DT at 59. We’ll say Hall or Jenkins.

CB/S at 86 (probably will move around a bit…) we’ll throw Kinchens or Bullard in there. Unless Christian Mahogany is sitting there then it’s time to solidify the OL depth and make sure there is an answer for LG if the Greens aren’t up to the task.

TE2 lets go get Wiley with a 4th if we still have one!

If swing interior OL or DB hasn’t been taken yet grab one with that second fourth if you haven’t already. We’ll say Malik Mustafa (S) or Beaux Limmer (interior OL) to put a name here.

Add quality athletes with upside with whatever picks are left and start planning the Super Bowl Parade! Whether its RB, LB, or edge rusher. Just get guys who can be developed!

If the draft fell perfectly for me we would come away with a swing OT, swing interior OL, TE2, DT and CB/S (BPA between the two positions).

Scenario I could see:

Ideally one of the first round rated OTs fall to 42. We’ll say Kingsley Suamataia or Jordan Morgan.

Then a DT at 59. We’ll say Hall or Jenkins.

CB/S at 86 (probably will move around a bit…) we’ll throw Kinchens or Bullard in there. Unless Christian Mahogany is sitting there then it’s time to solidify the OL depth and make sure there is an answer for LG if the Greens aren’t up to the task.

TE2 lets go get Wiley with a 4th if we still have one!

If swing interior OL or DB hasn’t been taken yet grab one with that second fourth if you haven’t already. We’ll say Malik Mustafa (S) or Beaux Limmer (interior OL) to put a name here.

Add quality athletes with upside with whatever picks are left and start planning the Super Bowl Parade! Whether its RB, LB, or edge rusher. Just get guys who can be developed!
Why in the world you would you draft a ot at 42?

My list is somewhat similar, but remove IOL and sub in RB and LB for good measure. I think we've got plenty of depth at IOL—Green (*2), Mason, Scruggs, and Patterson. That's five that are pretty much assured spots IF healthy. How many do you want?

My priorities are slightly different, although this depends largely on Howard's situation. I'm working from the premise that he will return either game 1 or shortly thereafter. So, I wouldn't choose an OT in round 2. I'm looking at the 4th or at most a 3rd on that position. Obviously, if Howard is going to be a real issue, then I'd be okay with spending a 2nd rounder on a tackle.

But assuming I'm right and Howard will be there, my top two priorities are CB and DT. These are the areas I'd like to come out with a starter. S, RB2, TE2, LB, and OT are depth areas I'm drafting for with guys who can push the starters if possible. WR, DE? Sure...but only if there is a guy you have rated much higher than other positions of need as they will basically be redshirted in 2024.

Why would the Texans draft an OT at 2.42?

Concerns regarding the health of Tytus Howard (and to an extent, Laremy Tunsil)
Lack of depth at OT
Very good group of OTs in this class
OT is a premium position

Thank you. Very good chance OT will be BPA at selection this year. Who wouldn’t want to make sure the franchise QB has the best protection possible in front of him?

And the paychecks on the OT position now… assume Tunsil keeps resetting the market, i’d like to have his bookend on a rookie contract when the QB has to be paid.

We’ll know what the Texans think of Howard’s ability to return and play at a high level within the next 10 days. Pay no attention to what they say…see what they do. If they select a tackle at 42 or 59, that’s speaking louder to me than any words. If they don’t take one at all…or only a raw prospect late…that also will speak to me.

Why would the Texans draft an OT at 2.42?

Concerns regarding the health of Tytus Howard (and to an extent, Laremy Tunsil)
Lack of depth at OT
Very good group of OTs in this class
OT is a premium position
Too many resources tied up. A high end qb negotiates a weakness on the ol. That's why they resigned the swing tackle. Last yr they did it with Fant. You don't draft a depth piece at 42 when you can draft a starter. You have to develop players. They didn't restructure Howard to draft a rt at 42. I'm not saying don't draft a ot, I'm saying in the 4th or 5th rd makes sense, not 42 or 59

Too many resources tied up. A high end qb negotiates a weakness on the ol. That's why they resigned the swing tackle. Last yr they did it with Fant. You don't draft a depth piece at 42 when you can draft a starter. You have to develop players. They didn't restructure Howard to draft a rt at 42. I'm not saying don't draft a ot, I'm saying in the 4th or 5th rd makes sense, not 42 or 59
While I agree with you, if Howard cant make it back 100% then OT becomes a higher priority. I would look at drafting Fisher or Goncalves in the 3rd/4th. I also like Caeden Wallace quite a bit in that range. These guys would go much higher in most other drafts.

While I agree with you, if Howard cant make it back 100% then OT becomes a higher priority. I would look at drafting Fisher or Goncalves in the 3rd/4th. I also like Caeden Wallace quite a bit in that range. These guys would go much higher in most other drafts.
We don't know where they would go in other drafts. As long as guys are solid and not getting blown up or by, they can negotiate said players. I mean they held the Steelers to 0 sacks with backups. I wouldn't even do it in the 3rd rd, that's a starter quality position player also.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Too many resources tied up. A high end qb negotiates a weakness on the ol.
What was paid to Howard is a sunk cost. You can't make decisions based on how much $$$ he makes. You base decisions upon what the team requires. And if Howard is a no go, the team requires linemen that have ability and are competent.

CJ Stroud is THE reason the Texans can be title contenders. Sure, they have some good d-linemen, good WRs. But this team goes nowhere without Stroud. So you have to be extra cautious and leave no stone unturned when it comes to protecting the organizations most valuable asset. Count all the resources you want at WR, LB, DB. But never make the mistake of going cheap on the o-line when you have a franchise QB.

What was paid to Howard is a sunk cost. You can't make decisions based on how much $$$ he makes. You base decisions upon what the team requires. And if Howard is a no go, the team requires linemen that have ability and are competent.

CJ Stroud is THE reason the Texans can be title contenders. Sure, they have some good d-linemen, good WRs. But this team goes nowhere without Stroud. So you have to be extra cautious and leave no stone unturned when it comes to protecting the organizations most valuable asset. Count all the resources you want at WR, LB, DB. But never make the mistake of going cheap on the o-line when you have a franchise QB.
^^^^This^^^^
All day.

And bringing in an olineman or two will not only serve as competition, it will serve notice that sub-par play is not acceptable and may see you ride the bench and put your future as a Houston Texans in doubt.

Wide receiver: Tank Dell, John Metchie

This is the most crowded room, and at least one receiver from 2023 won’t be there in 2024. The Texans kept six receivers on the roster last season and needed every one. They’ll probably do the same next season, which likely leaves either Hutchinson or Woods as the odd man out.

For now, I’ll say Woods, because cutting him could save nearly $5 million in salary cap space.

Don’t rule out the Texans taking a receiver late on day two or day three of the draft to compete for that final spot. Steve Sims, who has special teams value after returning a punt for a touchdown in the playoff game against the Ravens, could also compete for the final spot.

Edge rusher: Danielle Hunter, Derek Barnett, Mario Edwards Jr.

The Texans built an elite edge rusher room with the additions of Hunter and Autry to join Anderson, the 2023 NFL defensive rookie of the year. Hunter is a playmaker. He led the NFL with four forced fumbles last season. Bringing back Barnett gives them further depth.

They’ve had to piece together their defensive tackles. Expect the Texans to add one with a pick on day two. This isn’t a draft deep with defensive tackles, so they might need to get the best available one in round two.

Sam linebacker: Henry To’oTo’o, Del’Shawn Phillips

The Texans have wanted Al-Shaair since the 2023 offseason, when Ryans was hired. He coached him in San Francisco, where Al-Shaair was a young backup. Ryans finally got his wish this offseason, signing the linebacker to a three-year, $34 million deal.

“We’re getting a tenacious player, a guy who plays with relentless passion (and) energy,” Ryans said. “Physical.”

Harris played lights-out over the second half of the season. The Texans likely need to add one more piece for depth. Texas A&M linebacker Edgerrin Cooper is an option on day two if he falls. The Texans hosted him for a top-30 visit.

Nickel: Desmond King, Myles Bryant

As of now, I’d peg Okudah to be the starter opposite Stingley. But if the Texans find another corner in the draft, that player could possibly compete with Okudah for a starting role. Cornerback could be the first position the Texans target in the draft.

Okudah started nine of the 13 games he played last season in Atlanta. The 6-1, 202-pound cornerback is on a one-year prove-it deal but is still young and has some upside.

Stingley, who showcased All-Pro abilities with his five interceptions last year, has missed games in each of his first two seasons. The Texans need more depth.

Free safety: Jalen Pitre, Eric Murray

Entering last season, the Texans' safety group was supposed to be their deepest. But it ended up being one of their most injured groups. Ward, Murray and Stewart all ended the season on injured reserve. And Pitre struggled at times, biting on double moves. Ryans has said he wants to add to the safety group. I’d expect the Texans to add further depth in the draft.

The Adonai Mitchell stories/slander is getting out of hand.
I heard on NFL Radio that Mitchell had diabetes and was not controlling it well. I can see that being an issue, but not like rolling your car on the freeway in a drunken stupor.

I heard on NFL Radio that Mitchell had diabetes and was not controlling it well. I can see that being an issue, but not like rolling your car on the freeway in a drunken stupor.
Yeah, but being an elite athlete takes such discipline as it is, I doubt he could perform like he does while not controlling diabetes. Also odd that none of this came out while at Texas, who has more media scrutiny than any pro team in the state.

Last edited:
The way I see it, and with the the interest that the Texans have shown, I believe that their top targets will be (and should be):

DT Michael Hall Jr OSU (T30) (2nd at 42)

LB Edgerrin Cooper TX A&M (EW, T30) (2nd at 59)

S Javon Bullard Georgia (T30) (3rd at 86)

or S Jaylin Simpson Auburn (T30) (3rd at 86)

RB Isaac Guerendo Louisville (T30) (4th at 123 or 127)

or RB Ray Davis Kentucky (T30) (4th at 123 or 127)

CB Qwan’tez Stiggers CFL (EW, T30) (4th at 123 or 127) He will not be there past the 4th Round

I would love them to take a shot at Sweat if he was there for them in the 6th (Huge bust potential)

After that it should be BPA

I would love them to go after a TE, OT or a WR as the draft is load with the last two positions. But if you read the Athletic Article today, our defense still has huge holes that still need to be filled at DT, Safety and LB.

I would love to take the safety in the 2nd, and put off taking a LB until the 3rd, but top end LB's in this draft are in short supply, so it has to be in the second.

From he Athletic today 4-18-24

NFL projection model: Ranking all 32 rosters ahead of the draft

Apr 18, 2024
Austin Mock

The NFL Draft is just one week away, which means teams are preparing to infuse their rosters with some young, exciting talent.

Some rosters (Washington, Carolina) desperately need such an infusion, while others (Kansas City, San Francisco) are seeking players who can help them return to the Super Bowl. But what about all of the teams in between?

I’ve used my NFL Projection Model to rank each roster ahead of next week’s draft. The model takes into account an array of metrics and tries to put a “value” on every player. This value is essentially how many points above average a player brings to his team in a typical NFL game. Positional value weighs heavily when calculating that total. So the best running back or linebacker in the league will not be worth as much as the best wide receiver or edge rusher. After summing up all the values, each team was ranked 1-32. Here’s how the rosters stack up entering the draft.

11. Houston Texans

QB CJ Stroud looks like a bona fide star, and the Texans have compiled a bunch of playmakers around him on his rookie contract. They have some issues on defense, as no position other than edge ranks better than 14th, while three of those groups rank 24th or worse. I’d be shocked if they don’t focus on defense early in the draft.

The way I see it, and with the the interest that the Texans have shown, I believe that their top targets will be (and should be):

DT Michael Hall Jr OSU (T30) (2nd at 42)

LB Edgerrin Cooper TX A&M (EW, T30) (2nd at 59)

S Javon Bullard Georgia (T30) (3rd at 86)

or S Jaylin Simpson Auburn (T30) (3rd at 86)

RB Isaac Guerendo Louisville (T30) (4th at 123 or 127)

or RB Ray Davis Kentucky (T30) (4th at 123 or 127)

CB Qwan’tez Stiggers CFL (EW, T30) (4th at 123 or 127) He will not be there past the 4th Round

I would love them to take a shot at Sweat if he was there for them in the 6th (Huge bust potential)

After that it should be BPA

I would love them to go after a TE, OT or a WR as the draft is load with the last two positions. But if you read the Athletic Article today, our defense still has huge holes that still need to be filled at DT, Safety and LB.

I would love to take the safety in the 2nd, and put off taking a LB until the 3rd, but top end LB's in this draft are in short supply, so it has to be in the second.

From he Athletic today 4-18-24

NFL projection model: Ranking all 32 rosters ahead of the draft

Apr 18, 2024
Austin Mock

The NFL Draft is just one week away, which means teams are preparing to infuse their rosters with some young, exciting talent.

Some rosters (Washington, Carolina) desperately need such an infusion, while others (Kansas City, San Francisco) are seeking players who can help them return to the Super Bowl. But what about all of the teams in between?

I’ve used my NFL Projection Model to rank each roster ahead of next week’s draft. The model takes into account an array of metrics and tries to put a “value” on every player. This value is essentially how many points above average a player brings to his team in a typical NFL game. Positional value weighs heavily when calculating that total. So the best running back or linebacker in the league will not be worth as much as the best wide receiver or edge rusher. After summing up all the values, each team was ranked 1-32. Here’s how the rosters stack up entering the draft.

11. Houston Texans

QB CJ Stroud looks like a bona fide star, and the Texans have compiled a bunch of playmakers around him on his rookie contract. They have some issues on defense, as no position other than edge ranks better than 14th, while three of those groups rank 24th or worse. I’d be shocked if they don’t focus on defense early in the draft.
Lot of support for Cooper. But where do you play him? SAM? But SAM is the LB who comes out in Nickle package. In modern defenses, your basic defense is the 4-2-5. What I've read is that Cooper is not developed as a pass defender. So Cooper will be playing, what, 30% of the snaps? I like Cooper, but as a MIKE; we just signed Al-Shaair to a 3 year contract to play MIKE. Cooper is just not a good fit.

Lot of support for Cooper. But where do you play him? SAM? But SAM is the LB who comes out in Nickle package. In modern defenses, your basic defense is the 4-2-5. What I've read is that Cooper is not developed as a pass defender. So Cooper will be playing, what, 30% of the snaps? I like Cooper, but as a MIKE; we just signed Al-Shaair to a 3 year contract to play MIKE. Cooper is just not a good fit.

I agree with your logic, but the Texans have interviewed him twice (one an in-house visit) so they seem to have an eye on him, for some reason.

If we do not go after Cooper in the second then we can move the Safety target up into the second. which as I said in my earlier post, I am fine with. The critical thing is to get the D-Tackle early, because what we have now at D-tackle is not good.

If I were Nick, I would probably double up and draft a 2nd D-Tackle (like Sweat) later in the draft.

When I see this, and then also see him suggest the roster, as currently constructed before the draft, is a relatively complete roster for the regular season:

Nick sounds like a dude who plans to trade down... and he may infuriate a lot of fans doing so to add picks for 2025.
And even if he does not trade down I expect consolidation of pick to go from 9 to 6 or something

When I see this, and then also see him suggest the roster, as currently constructed before the draft, is a relatively complete roster for the regular season:
It could mean that the Texans can take any position on the board. And that's pretty much true. The Texans could go DT, OT, CB, or S with their first pick. Though I disagree with the notion the Texans could play a game today with the current roster.Howard is still rehabbing and could not go.

I agree. They restructured Howard because they believe he will be around for most of his guaranteed money. I also think they will draft an offensive tackle but not before Round 4. We need starters at 42, 59 and 86. Twice now in interviews Nick has indicated that Howard will be expected to start. Man I hope he's correct.

More info on Worthy.

Ahead of next week’s NFL Draft, teams are debating: How much does the 40-yard dash actually translate to today’s game, and how much should they thus let it inf...

Last edited:
It could mean that the Texans can take any position on the board. And that's pretty much true. The Texans could go DT, OT, CB, or S with their first pick. Though I disagree with the notion the Texans could play a game today with the current roster.Howard is still rehabbing and could not go.
They think Heck can play.

I do think the OL coach is going to really improve this yr and proper depth will be on the roster. Although the schedule is harder the OL coach with more experience in the ZBS and Odds of health on the OL being better then I can see a better OL.

Last year it was the MLB (Perryman) that came off the field. Al-Shaair replaced Perryman, Cooper would replace Cashman

Last edited:
And that is why you go with Payton Wilson at 59.

Last edited:
And that is why you go with Peyton Wilson at 59.
Yep all of those mid level throws will be harder to make with two 4.4 guys playing LB. Can play faster on the underneath stuff and swarm to the ball against the run. Pass rushers on 1st level, three fast LB's and Stingley/Odukah. That just leaves S to fix. This is why I hope they trade up for a swiss army knife on the backend like DeJohn. He would make this defense elite. A guy that's lesser but I like is Green. Guys a real good slot that can play CB or I think he can play S. Anyways adding DeJohn and P. Wilson would be game changers for this defense. Then comeback and get your quick DT hoping Hall Jr. falls to 3-86. If he doesn't fall then give me Mehki Wingo in rd 4-123. This defense would be very good.

Back