Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

So are you saying imagine how much better Anderson will get if he has a high level DL coach?

Came out as negative. What meant to say is tremendous athleticism, speed to power (devastating punch) yet can get low and skinny. Relentless motor. What he does is instinctive and natural to him.

Matt Burke, DC coordinator strength is linebacker and DL. I’m sure he would love to work with Anderson. Since he was last in Arizona he may have missed his chance, or has he?

Alpha dog. Not sure anybody is a good comp? Explosive like Von Miller, heavy hands like Micah Parsons, motor of Kalhil Mack, kinda package of all the best ones.

Came out as negative. What meant to say is tremendous athleticism, speed to power (devastating punch) yet can get low and skinny. Relentless motor. What he does is instinctive and natural to him.

Matt Burke, DC coordinator strength is linebacker and DL. I’m sure he would love to work with Anderson. Since he was last in Arizona he may have missed his chance, or has he?

Alpha dog. Not sure anybody is a good comp? Explosive like Von Miller, heavy hands like Micah Parsons, motor of Kalhil Mack, kinda package of all the best ones.

I agree. Anderson is a chess piece game wrecker. Makes it much easier to field a defense DeMeco will be proud of…

Zierlein uses DeMarcus Ware as his comp, and gotta admit I think it's pretty appropriate.

Zierlein uses DeMarcus Ware as his comp, and gotta admit I think it's pretty appropriate.

Not sure I would agree with Lance on that one? DeMarcus Ware was a true hand in the dirt DE like Dewight Freeney. Bigger framed but bendy.

Still say he’s a combination of styles, but there was one I can still remember from years ago who was unstoppable that had quicks & motor that wouldn’t stop, would also fall into OLB category and that’s Derrick Thomas. So Will is a bigger version of him, that would be his comp.

Gosh darn it, now I really want the Texans to take Will Anderson. Thanks:hankpalm:

Last edited:
Not sure I would agree with Lance on that one? DeMarcus Ware was a true hand in the dirt DE like Dewight Freeney. Bigger framed but bendy.

Still say he’s a combination of styles, but there was one I can still remember from years ago who was unstoppable that had quicks & motor that wouldn’t stop, would also fall into OLB category and that’s Derrick Thomas. So Will is a bigger version of him, that would be his comp.

Gosh darn it, now I really want the Texans to take Will Anderson. Thanks:hankpalm:

he was great

Did you see Von his last year in college station?Von was pretty much unblockable.

No he wasn't. Ware didn't regularly play DE until his 9th year in the league. He played predominantly as a stand up 3-4 rush end throughout the peak of his career. He'd amassed over 100 sacks by then. He was the prototype for the position in fact.

And he entered the league 3 pounds lighter and a half inch taller than Anderson. Virtually the exact same size arm length and hand size as well. They're almost clones at the same points in their careers.

Since he’s all of that, he should be the undisputed number 1 pick. Carolina would be dumb AF if they pass on a talent like that.

Since he’s all of that, he should be the undisputed number 1 pick. Carolina would be dumb AF if they pass on a talent like that.

I remember when the Texans had their first draft in 2002 they took the QB at 1 and Carolina took the undisputed best player in the draft HOF DE Julius Peppers at 2. Maybe history will repeat itself but the Texans come out on the winning side?

1. Carolina. Bryce Young has a lot of fans inside the Panthers.

“You’re the one who started that?” Panthers coach Frank Reich said to me at the league meetings, about this QB-height thing I wrote about in March: Reich’s been a QB coach, coordinator or head coach for 17 years, and in all but six of the games in those 17 years, his quarterback was 6-4 or taller. He told me height of the quarterback is not really a thing. So the 5-10 Bryce Young and 6-3 C.J. Stroud are both very much alive in the running for the first pick in the draft. And I believe him, absolutely.

But one longtime friend of Reich’s told me the height thing is legit with him, and though Reich hasn’t told him so, this friend would be surprised if Young were Reich’s top choice. Reich’s not saying. The other thing I hear is several influential voices in the organization favor Young. That doesn’t mean Young will be the pick—not at all. This will be a collaborative choice, and the Panthers still have organizational meetings ahead to set their draft board with finality. But before he took the Carolina quarterback-coach job, Josh McCown reportedly told friends he loved Young. What that means after he’s studied all of the passers, I don’t know.

I asked one coach who has studied the top quarterbacks and two top analysts who also have studied them how they have the top four rated after the pro-day circuit. The coach I gave anonymity. Todd McShay of ESPN is one analyst and Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network is the other. I did not tell any of the three any opinions of others. Each of the three has this order of the top three: Bryce Young, C.J. Stroud, Anthony Richardson. Will Levis was four for McShay and Jeremiah, but the coach said he is not sold on Levis and believes he deserves a second-round grade.

The game has changed in how quarterbacks are viewed. Drew Brees and Russell Wilson, both height-challenged, have seen to that. Still, what’s notable to me is we’re talking about a 5-10 1/8, 198ish-pound quarterback without Kyler Murray speed possibly being the top quarterback picked in the draft, over a 6-3 quarterback, Stroud, who sliced and diced the national champ with by far the best defense (Georgia’s) in the college game. “Just watch Young,” the coach said. “When I watch tape, I don’t see size. He doesn’t play small.” This follows another team official who told me before the meetings Young’s height is not a disadvantage. Well, it is, but he still might be picked first on draft night, assuming Reich is on board. Last thing to note: Frank Reich is not one to brawl about players, even one as important as this one. He’s a consensus-seeker. I think he likes Young, and likes him a lot. I just don’t know if he likes him more than Stroud. But if he favors Stroud, and if the majority of the influencers inside the Panthers love Young, I believe Reich will be okay with picking him.

2. Houston. Texans have to pick a quarterback. Or do they?

We’re all operating under the belief the Texans will pick a quarterback that Carolina leaves for them. I’m 90 percent on board with that.

The Texans also pick 12th. With that pick and two first-round picks next year, is it impossible to think they’d take the cleanest prospect in this draft, Alabama pass-rusher Will Anderson, at two and get their quarterback slightly lower, somewhere around the fourth pick or after? I think the Texans are going to go quarterback at two. But in the last few days, I’ve heard this about Houston GM Nick Caserio: Very conservative. If he doesn’t love a quarterback at two, he’s not going to force it. He’d rather take this year’s sure edge thing, Anderson, the way Detroit took Aidan Hutchinson with the second pick last year. Detroit got rewarded handsomely with a great rookie year from Hutchinson.

“It’s a stretch, but I could see Nick taking Anderson, then using his second [first-round pick] and trading back up to get his quarterback,” one league personnel man said.

Maybe. I bet Indianapolis, at four, and Seattle, at five, would be okay with moving to 12 if it meant adding the better of the two Houston first-rounders next year (Houston has its own one next year and Cleveland’s one). But I still believe it’s far more likely Houston stays at two and gives its fans the long-term quarterback the franchise has been seeking since its inception in 2002. Owner Cal McNair will certainly want the quarterback at number two, and Texans fans will be deflated if the loser of the Young/Stroud stakes in Carolina isn’t the pick at two.

FMIA: What the First Four Teams Will Do on Draft Night and Owners Challenging Goodell

I see by the calendar it’s Draft Month, T-minus 24 days from teams getting to open their offseason presents. Since the four marquee players—the first-round quarterbacks—have finished their Pro Days following the Anthony Richardson workout Thursday in Gainesville, I thought I’d tell you how the very top of the draft board stands from what I heard at the league meetings, with some info gleaned over the weekend.

Then we’ll get into some feistiness from Phoenix. The league meetings aren’t usually very feisty, but when the league tried to ramrod a short-sighted, anti-common-sense, anti-freight-paying-fans flex-scheduling proposal through the membership, 10 teams said, Hold on commissioner. This stinks. And good for them.
First, draft gossip. Team by team at the top, here’s what I’m hearing:

“You’re the one who started that?” Panthers coach Frank Reich said to me at the league meetings, about this QB-height thing I wrote about in March: Reich’s been a QB coach, coordinator or head coach for 17 years, and in all but six of the games in those 17 years, his quarterback was 6-4 or taller. He told me height of the quarterback is not really a thing. So the 5-10 Bryce Young and 6-3 C.J. Stroud are both very much alive in the running for the first pick in the draft. And I believe him, absolutely.

But one longtime friend of Reich’s told me the height thing is legit with him, and though Reich hasn’t told him so, this friend would be surprised if Young were Reich’s top choice. Reich’s not saying. The other thing I hear is several influential voices in the organization favor Young. That doesn’t mean Young will be the pick—not at all. This will be a collaborative choice, and the Panthers still have organizational meetings ahead to set their draft board with finality. But before he took the Carolina quarterback-coach job, Josh McCown reportedly told friends he loved Young. What that means after he’s studied all of the passers, I don’t know.

I asked one coach who has studied the top quarterbacks and two top analysts who also have studied them how they have the top four rated after the pro-day circuit. The coach I gave anonymity. Todd McShay of ESPN is one analyst and Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network is the other. I did not tell any of the three any opinions of others. Each of the three has this order of the top three: Bryce Young, C.J. Stroud, Anthony Richardson. Will Levis was four for McShay and Jeremiah, but the coach said he is not sold on Levis and believes he deserves a second-round grade.

The game has changed in how quarterbacks are viewed. Drew Brees and Russell Wilson, both height-challenged, have seen to that. Still, what’s notable to me is we’re talking about a 5-10 1/8, 198ish-pound quarterback without Kyler Murray speed possibly being the top quarterback picked in the draft, over a 6-3 quarterback, Stroud, who sliced and diced the national champ with by far the best defense (Georgia’s) in the college game. “Just watch Young,” the coach said. “When I watch tape, I don’t see size. He doesn’t play small.” This follows another team official who told me before the meetings Young’s height is not a disadvantage. Well, it is, but he still might be picked first on draft night, assuming Reich is on board. Last thing to note: Frank Reich is not one to brawl about players, even one as important as this one. He’s a consensus-seeker. I think he likes Young, and likes him a lot. I just don’t know if he likes him more than Stroud. But if he favors Stroud, and if the majority of the influencers inside the Panthers love Young, I believe Reich will be okay with picking him.

We’re all operating under the belief the Texans will pick a quarterback that Carolina leaves for them. I’m 90 percent on board with that.

The Texans also pick 12th. With that pick and two first-round picks next year, is it impossible to think they’d take the cleanest prospect in this draft, Alabama pass-rusher Will Anderson, at two and get their quarterback slightly lower, somewhere around the fourth pick or after? I think the Texans are going to go quarterback at two. But in the last few days, I’ve heard this about Houston GM Nick Caserio: Very conservative. If he doesn’t love a quarterback at two, he’s not going to force it. He’d rather take this year’s sure edge thing, Anderson, the way Detroit took Aidan Hutchinson with the second pick last year. Detroit got rewarded handsomely with a great rookie year from Hutchinson.

“It’s a stretch, but I could see Nick taking Anderson, then using his second [first-round pick] and trading back up to get his quarterback,” one league personnel man said.

Maybe. I bet Indianapolis, at four, and Seattle, at five, would be okay with moving to 12 if it meant adding the better of the two Houston first-rounders next year (Houston has its own one next year and Cleveland’s one). But I still believe it’s far more likely Houston stays at two and gives its fans the long-term quarterback the franchise has been seeking since its inception in 2002. Owner Cal McNair will certainly want the quarterback at number two, and Texans fans will be deflated if the loser of the Young/Stroud stakes in Carolina isn’t the pick at two.

The rest of the story

FMIA: What the First Four Teams Will Do on Draft Night and Owners Challenging Goodell

I see by the calendar it’s Draft Month, T-minus 24 days from teams getting to open their offseason presents. Since the four marquee players—the first-round quarterbacks—have finished their Pro Days following the Anthony Richardson workout Thursday in Gainesville, I thought I’d tell you how the very top of the draft board stands from what I heard at the league meetings, with some info gleaned over the weekend.

Then we’ll get into some feistiness from Phoenix. The league meetings aren’t usually very feisty, but when the league tried to ramrod a short-sighted, anti-common-sense, anti-freight-paying-fans flex-scheduling proposal through the membership, 10 teams said, Hold on commissioner. This stinks. And good for them.
First, draft gossip. Team by team at the top, here’s what I’m hearing:

The rest of the story
I posted it above but it's such crap if they trade up in the first again for a second tier QB especially with our own pick next year.

Vegas still has very good odds that Stroud is going 1

5 lessons Houston Texans need to learn from quarterback classes since 2018
JOHN HUNTER CRUMPLER
Mon, Apr 3, 2023, 12:02 PM CDT8 min read

Quarterbacks are generally one of the most important and controversial picks of any given draft and considered to be the ones most likely to change a franchise. The last five seasons have yielded a total of 17 first round draft picks at the position with a wide range of results.

Looking back on the scouting process, the results, and the information now available, there’s quite a lot to be gathered just from looking at the prospects and how teams navigated the board.

Here are some lessons general manager Nick Caserio may want to consider from quarterbacks drafted since 2018.
2018 — Not every trait is fixable

The 2018 draft saw Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, and Lamar Jackson all selected in the first round. Jackson and Allen are now considered some of the few elite quarterbacks in the league while Rosen was a spectacular bust. The first two quarterbacks taken, Mayfield and Darnold, have underwhelmed to say the least.

Allen and Jackson serve as a powerful testament to what can be done with raw athletic ability. Both thrived early in their careers in offenses built off of their running ability and developed into high level NFL passers as their comfort in the professional game grew. Allen in particular evolved from one of the least accurate passers in his rookie class to one of the most dominant passers in the league. Jackson won an MVP in 2019 after finishing out the last eight games of the season in 2018, including playoffs.
Any concerns about overall accuracy or nuance as a passer were able to be overcome in strong supporting situations in Buffalo and Baltimore. The same cannot be said of some other pre-draft concerns.

Darnold was a prototypical passer with essentially every trait desirable. However, it was noted that Darnold severely struggled under pressure. Teams operated under the assumption that it could be worked through and he would naturally learn to feel comfortable in those situations. He never did. Darnold’s disastrous performance when the picture is messy has ultimately crippled his NFL career and is a big part of why he’s been on three NFL teams.
THE REST OF THE STORY

I think the real lesson regarding selecting a QB is commitment. The Bills and Ravens didn't try to force Allen and Jackson into an offense. They built an offense around their strengths and built upon that foundation as the QBs became more comfortable. With Doug Pederson on board, the Jags are doing the same with Lawrence. The Bears appear to be committing to Justin Fields style of play.

Understand the strengths and weaknesses of the QB you are drafting. Tailor your offense to those strengths and try to minimize the weaknesses. Don't ask him to play a game he's not ready to play. As he matures, add to the offense. That's what Belichick did with Brady. That's what Reid has done with Mahomes.

I think the real lesson regarding selecting a QB is commitment. The Bills and Ravens didn't try to force Allen and Jackson into an offense. They built an offense around their strengths and built upon that foundation as the QBs became more comfortable. With Doug Pederson on board, the Jags are doing the same with Lawrence. The Bears appear to be committing to Justin Fields style of play.

Understand the strengths and weaknesses of the QB you are drafting. Tailor your offense to those strengths and try to minimize the weaknesses. Don't ask him to play a game he's not ready to play. As he matures, add to the offense. That's what Belichick did with Brady. That's what Reid has done with Mahomes.
I don't know, man. That sounds simple but in reality that's not how it works most of the time. If that were the case, why not change the offense around Mills's strengths? He's got the prototypical size for the position. The measurables are there. Forego drafting a quarterback and "fix" the offense for Mills. Comit to Mills.

5 lessons Houston Texans need to learn from quarterback classes since 2018
JOHN HUNTER CRUMPLER
Mon, Apr 3, 2023, 12:02 PM CDT8 min read

Quarterbacks are generally one of the most important and controversial picks of any given draft and considered to be the ones most likely to change a franchise. The last five seasons have yielded a total of 17 first round draft picks at the position with a wide range of results.

Looking back on the scouting process, the results, and the information now available, there’s quite a lot to be gathered just from looking at the prospects and how teams navigated the board.

Here are some lessons general manager Nick Caserio may want to consider from quarterbacks drafted since 2018.
2018 — Not every trait is fixable

The 2018 draft saw Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, and Lamar Jackson all selected in the first round. Jackson and Allen are now considered some of the few elite quarterbacks in the league while Rosen was a spectacular bust. The first two quarterbacks taken, Mayfield and Darnold, have underwhelmed to say the least.

Allen and Jackson serve as a powerful testament to what can be done with raw athletic ability. Both thrived early in their careers in offenses built off of their running ability and developed into high level NFL passers as their comfort in the professional game grew. Allen in particular evolved from one of the least accurate passers in his rookie class to one of the most dominant passers in the league. Jackson won an MVP in 2019 after finishing out the last eight games of the season in 2018, including playoffs.
Any concerns about overall accuracy or nuance as a passer were able to be overcome in strong supporting situations in Buffalo and Baltimore. The same cannot be said of some other pre-draft concerns.

Darnold was a prototypical passer with essentially every trait desirable. However, it was noted that Darnold severely struggled under pressure. Teams operated under the assumption that it could be worked through and he would naturally learn to feel comfortable in those situations. He never did. Darnold’s disastrous performance when the picture is messy has ultimately crippled his NFL career and is a big part of why he’s been on three NFL teams.
THE REST OF THE STORY

This is why I want Young, I'm less excited about Stroud (but still would be ok with picking him) and I haven't counted out Richardson or Levis with the second first rd pick...

The Titans trading up to #3? If they went Mike Ditka and traded their entire draft, the Titans would still be 400 points short on the value chart. It wouldn't surprise me if Will Levis is Mike Vrabel's kinda guy. I guess if Levis doesn't make it as a QB, Vrabel can switch him to LB.

c8840954f75a84b8938a42d7bc793a374246efe1.jpg

Florio is speculating that Vrabel may want that jump in order to grab Richardson or another QB. But I inwouldn't be ruling out another possibility...........Most talking heads are taking for granted that #1 and #2 will be Young/Stroud (not necessarily in that order. So it is very possible that Vrabel goes with his D instincts and shoots for Anderson.

********************************************************************************************************

Could The Titans Move To No. 3 In The Draft?
Last Updated 8:56 PM, April 3, 2023 EDT – Mike Florio

I've seen enough of Levis and in 2 years he might be the best QB out of this draft. Richardson has enough physical tools, but I haven't seen him play enough. Bryce is the most NFL ready, and has the highest floor. I'm just not sure he has the highest ceiling. With 5 year rookie contracts and picking a QB with the 2nd pick no longer destroying your cap, I have Stroud as my 4th. I was all for waiting until next year to draft a QB, but the Texans have 2 1st rounders this year and next year. They should pick who they believe is going to be the best QB over the next 3-8 years. Not this year.

How did each NFL team’s free agency moves stack up? Executives react to moves from all 32 teams
NFL free agency has been as much about the deals that have not happened — Aaron Rodgers to the New York Jets, for example — as the ones that have taken place. Even with Rodgers and Lamar Jackson in limbo, especially with them in limbo, there’s plenty to discuss.
Below you’ll find team executives’ perspectives on all 32 teams’ free agencies, with thoughts on everything from the new contracts for Daniel Jones and Geno Smith to the ideal timing for a potential Derrick Henry trade. The executives spoke on the condition of anonymity for competitive reasons.

Houston Texans
GM Nick Caserio won positive reviews last offseason for maximizing Deshaun Watson’s value. This year, the Texans’ many mid- and lower-tier signings in free agency failed to generate excitement. The team also traded top receiver Brandin Cooks.

“They load up on special-teamers, depth guys, and there is a pattern of similar type moves,” an exec said. “I’m not sure how they get better. Hopefully, with DeMeco (Ryans) changing the defense, they get better.”

Signing tight end Dalton Schultz from Dallas on a one-year deal for $9 million could be criticized in a year when tight ends appear plentiful in the draft. But as Houston likely prepares to pick a quarterback with the second pick, having a fully developed tight end could be advantageous.

“If you look at some of these tight ends, like Evan Engram, for example, they needed time,” an evaluator said. “Teams drafting quarterbacks are getting better at saying, ‘OK, what is the next step to give him the most possible success?’ Carolina is taking a quarterback, so they get a tight end in Hayden Hurst. Same for Houston with Schultz.”

THE REST OF THE STORY

I'm still trying to figure out why he wasn't productive. I mean we've seen stacked defensive teams and player produced.
Yeah I was expecting big time things from him this past year, was he hurt? I really liked the Georgia 2020 LBs - Quay Walker, Nakobe Dean and Azeez Ojulari

Back