Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

After taking some more time I think I’ve got my final thoughts on the #2 pick. I hope Bryce Young is the #1 pick and we take CJ Stroud.

I just can’t get over Young’s size. He’s a great QB and does some excellent things. I’m not sure those things will transfer to the NFL.

He’s great at navigating the pocket and finding space in the pocket in college. The issue is there’s not as much room in NFL pockets to do that. Is he going to be able to navigate an NFL pocket and find the space a guy his size needs to make throws

Another strength of his is playmaking and this is related to the last point. Young has had a lot of success shaking off defenders and making a throw. That’s tougher in the NFL, guys are just bigger and stronger and it’s a huge question mark if Young will be able to do that in the NFL.

And finally of course there’s the injury concerns.

Mostly talked negatives here, don’t get me wrong there’s plenty of promising things he does. But if Stroud goes 1st I would completely understand if we said no to Young and took Richardson or Anderson.

To me Stroud has a high floor and a good amount of upside and he’s my first choice of QB here.

The most exciting thing that could happen for me on draft day would be the Texans taking Bryce Young. It's not what I consider the most practical thing but the most exciting. From a practicality standpoint, either drafting Will Anderson or trading down. Second most exciting thing would be the Texans trading up from 33. What would make you most excited as a Texans fan on draft day?

To me, the first two days of the NFL draft is like Christmas and my birthday all rolled into one. At least this year that's what it feels like. Some of you are sure you know what's going to happen with the second pick in the draft, I'm not. Slowick is a new OC, Ryans is a new HC, I have no idea what their drafting philosophy is.

It's up to the Panthers. He can want to go anywhere, but this is the draft, not FA.

I love both Stroud and Young but still, like Young better. He has a bit more juice. Unlike Khelar above, I don't have those same reservations he has.

It's up to the Panthers. He can want to go anywhere, but this is the draft, not FA.

I love both Stroud and Young but still, like Young better. He has a bit more juice. Unlike Khelar above, I don't have those same reservations he has.
Do you have any reservations about Young?

The most exciting thing that could happen for me on draft day would be the Texans taking Bryce Young. It's not what I consider the most practical thing but the most exciting. From a practicality standpoint, either drafting Will Anderson or trading down. Second most exciting thing would be the Texans trading up from 33. What would make you most excited as a Texans fan on draft day?

To me, the first two days of the NFL draft is like Christmas and my birthday all rolled into one. At least this year that's what it feels like. Some of you are sure you know what's going to happen with the second pick in the draft, I'm not. Slowick is a new OC, Ryans is a new HC, I have no idea what their drafting philosophy is.
Round 2 is so deep that I do not want to Trade up from 33 and hopefully we will have more round 2s From trading down in round 1. I would be OK with using our round threes combined with day three picks to trade up into the second round.

Round 2 is so deep that I do not want to Trade up from 33 and hopefully we will have more round 2s From trading down in round 1. I would be OK with using our round threes combined with day three picks to trade up into the second round.
If one of the top tight ends or Bijan are sitting there in the middle 20’s I’m thinking about it, depending on what I did at 12.

This is the year to trade down from 12 to about 15 or so like last year. Then use those picks to move up for another top 50 pick. Would be back to back years with four players selected in top 50 picks. Lots of new talent added on rookie contracts.

Hooker suffered his ACL Nov. 19 2022 and underwent repair Dec. 12. According to all of my sources, his rehab is not ahead of schedule..........it is ON SCHEDULE. Players trying to come back prior to 7 months have been shown to be very high risk for subsequent injury. Seven months for Hooker will be July 12. Training Camp will begin 2 weeks later. Of course, he will be very limited in his offseason participation.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Source: Tennessee quarterback Hendon Hooker visits Texans, to meet with several teams, ACL recovery ahead of schedule
Quarterback tore his ACL against South Carolina, expected back for start of NFL season

HOUSTON – University of Tennessee quarterback Hendon Hooker visited the Texans this week at NRG Stadium, according to a league source.
And the Volunteers standout, a Southeastern Conference Offensive Player of the Year and all-conference selection, has upcoming official visits with the Tennessee Titans, Indianapolis Colts, New York Giants and Tampa Bay Buccaneers and several others, per a source.

Hooker, 25, tore his anterior cruciate ligament against South Carolina in his final collegiate game, but has made significant progress in his rehabilitation, has resumed throwing and is expected to make a full recovery for the start of his rookie season.

“It’s going great,” Hooker said at the NFL scouting combine. “I plan to be healthy and 100 percent by camp time. There probably are some things I could so physically for teams, but I don’t want to take a chance. I would rather my knee be 100 percent. I am looking forward to a long career.”

Hooker, a Virginia Tech transfer who grew up in Greensboro, North Carolina, has excellent size at 6-foot-4, 222 pounds.

In his first season at Tennessee, he passed for 2,945 yards, 31 touchdowns and three interceptions with 616 rushing yards and five touchdown runs. He led the conference in adjusted passing yards per attempt and passing efficiency rating.

Hooker finished fifth in the Heisman trophy award balloting last season, leading the Vols to a 52-49 win over Alabama as he passed for 385 yards, five touchdowns and one interception.
He passed for 3,127 yards, 27 touchdowns and two interceptions and rushed for 430 yards and five touchdowns.

Hooker has been mentored by Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning, receiving advice from him and Eli Manning.

“Anything that I have ever asked him, he has given me a great answer,” Hooker said. “I once asked him and Eli what it takes to make teammates have the same hunger and drive that you do, and they gave me some great answers. I won’t let the secret sauce out, but I applied those and they helped me out this season.”

As I was exiting the Woody Hayes Athletic Center, wide receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba was meeting with the receiver-needy Houston Texans. Everything I’ve heard this week leads me to believe the Texans will draft a receiver with their second pick in the first round (12th overall). Right now, it seems that pick has come down to either Jaxon Smith-Njigba or Jordan Addison.

Several teams came away from Ohio State’s Pro Day with even more affection for center Luke Wypler — two in particular: the Buffalo Bills and Arizona Cardinals.

Last week, during my write-up on the Minnesota Pro Day, I mentioned the Bills had Gophers center John Michael Schmitz rated highly. This week it’s Wypler — another Big Ten center. If nothing else, this confirms my posting last week that the Bills will be looking for a center as Mitch Morse closes out his career.

I was told outright at the end of the pro day that the Cardinals will draft Wypler, and it makes sense. Presently, Hjalte Froholdt is listed as Arizona’s starting center — his fourth team since 2019. The Cardinals own a pair of picks in the third round and could use one to select the OSU center.

If one of the top tight ends or Bijan are sitting there in the middle 20’s I’m thinking about it, depending on what I did at 12.
I want trade down from 12 and understand That percentages are going up it will be traded. However, If Bijan and any tight end is the must pick at 1.12, Bijan all the way.

The Athletic's beat writer for the Cardinals has John Michael Schmitz going to Arizona at #34.
I missed that i guess as Athletic is a source i use. I think Az goes Edge and corner first two picks. If I was drafting for them I would go opposite of most opinions and select Gonzales and then an edge in round two. Gonzales is going to be a very good corner back. They may want RB but that can be much later.

:D…this is a fun read. Enjoy

Height matters: Frank Reich couldn’t keep Bryce Young opinion to himself

“If I were the Panthers, I would take Young No. 1 and never think twice about it. Doing so would absolutely break the Houston Texans into a thousand pieces, so the overall pettiness in denying fellow Alabama alum DeMeco Ryans what is his would sustain me. Stop lying to yourself; it would sustain you, too. But over the last two years, I cannot be convinced Young is not the top selection.”

It's going to be a huge letdown for the "I want Bryce Young but I'd be okay with CJ Stroud" crowd if Roger Goodell makes this announcement on April 27th: "with the first pick in the 2023 NFL Draft the Carolina Panthers select Bryce Young." I know this because I'm standing right outside that crowd, inching closer to them every day. Except, if it's not going to be Young, I'd prefer Will Anderson over Stroud.

It's going to be a huge letdown for the "I want Bryce Young but I'd be okay with CJ Stroud" crowd if Roger Goodell makes this announcement on April 27th: "with the first pick in the 2023 NFL Draft the Carolina Panthers select Bryce Young." I know this because I'm standing right outside that crowd, inching closer to them every day. Except, if it's not going to be Young, I'd prefer Will Anderson over Stroud.
If that happens, I can easily see Texans taking Will Anderson and taking Hooker or a lower round QB. Or even making a small move up from #12 to grab Levis.

I've made peace with the whole Lovie giving us the finger on the way out the door situation. Nick bears a ton of responsibility in that fiasco as well. Lovie should have been canned a week or two early, and/or Nick should have demanded that certain players be sat down like Cooks for example. There could have also been clear communication that if the situation arises, don't "quit" but don't go balls to the wall full scale aggressive either. So...maybe I haven't made peace with it yet after all.

I'll be back. I have to go find my Lovie Smith Voodoo doll. I still have some spare pins left. The next one is in the groin. Take that Lovie!

But according to sources with knowledge of the search, the Panthers' choice is between Stroud and Young.

The biggest difference between the two is size, which took up a considerable amount of Reich’s time at Tuesday's annual media breakfast.

Young is 5-foot-10 and 204 pounds. Stroud is 6-3, 214.

Reich made it clearer than he has at any point during the process that this is more about durability than height, and that durability is a concern with Young due to his stature, though he missed only one game at Alabama.

“Absolutely [durability] is a consideration,’’ Reich said. “Also a consideration [is] his playmaking ability, his accuracy and his leadership, his instincts.’’

Those positive factors -- in addition to his processing, which Alabama coach Nick Saban said is “off-the-charts good’’ -- are why Reich doesn't view height as a concern with Young.

But as Reich noted, there aren’t a lot of injury analytics on short, successful NFL quarterbacks (mainly because there haven’t been many) to consider outside of Drew Brees (6-foot) and Russell Wilson (5-11).

So he referenced a couple of players at other positions who were smallish in stature and went on to have Hall of Fame careers. Read into that what you want.

Marvin Harrison as a receiver,’’ Reich said of the 6-foot star he helped coach from 2006 to 2008 as an assistant with the Indianapolis Colts. “He just had an incredible ability to take hits. I played with Barry Sanders. He had that knack for not taking the big hits.’’

Reich went on to remind that Stroud, as well as Levis and Richardson, “all are pretty good’’ at avoiding hits.

“But since you’re asking about Bryce, he’s good at being instinctive in the pocket and minimizing [hits],’’ Reich continued. “If you’re a quarterback, can you minimize the number of big hits and the intensity of those hits? They’re all going to get hit. We know that.

“But there’s a way to minimize those hits. Being instinctive.’’

Reich’s history suggest he favors taller quarterbacks. He hasn’t started one who was under 6-2 in 17 years as a coach.

But as Jacksonville Jaguars coach Doug Pederson reminded, Reich understands the NFL is changing and quarterbacks coming out of college are smaller and more athletic than when Pederson and Reich played, mostly in the '80s and '90s.

As a result, he added, the game is changing to adapt to those players.

Pederson, who hired Reich as his offensive coordinator with the Philadelphia Eagles for 2016 and 2017, believes whichever quarterback the Panthers choose will have a chance to succeed because of Reich.

“He's the right guy with any young quarterback,’’ he said.

Current Eagles coach Nick Sirianni agreed, although he can’t predict how much size will be a factor in Reich’s final decision.

“I just think he’ll look to get the best guy,’’ he said.

Reich isn’t ready to say who the best guy is, but he did thank owner David Tepper for making it clear he and Fitterer will make the final call. He also noted Tepper has been a big part of the evaluation process, particularly as it pertains to bringing levity to moments.

I've made peace with the whole Lovie giving us the finger on the way out the door situation. Nick bears a ton of responsibility in that fiasco as well. Lovie should have been canned a week or two early, and/or Nick should have demanded that certain players be sat down like Cooks for example. There could have also been clear communication that if the situation arises, don't "quit" but don't go balls to the wall full scale aggressive either. So...maybe I haven't made peace with it yet after all.

I'll be back. I have to go find my Lovie Smith Voodoo doll. I still have some spare pins left. The next one is in the groin. Take that Lovie!
The Dolphins just got out of an investigation partially over tanking allegations, the Texans were also mentioned in the lawsuit. I don’t think there was any way we were going to do any of those things with a black coach who was on his way out of the door. The only one of those things you listed that should have been considered was firing Lovie early.

But either way I don’t think it would have been advisable to pressure the head coach to sit players who didn’t need to be sat or to walk into the locker room and go “hey guys just don’t try so hard today alright!”. Especially with the NFL probably already unhappy with the Texans over the Deshaun Watson thing

The Dolphins just got out of an investigation partially over tanking allegations, the Texans were also mentioned in the lawsuit. I don’t think there was any way we were going to do any of those things with a black coach who was on his way out of the door. The only one of those things you listed that should have been considered was firing Lovie early.

But either way I don’t think it would have been advisable to pressure the head coach to sit players who didn’t need to be sat or to walk into the locker room and go “hey guys just don’t try so hard today alright!”. Especially with the NFL probably already unhappy with the Texans over the Deshaun Watson thing

The Bears yanked half the damn starters that last game. And what does the color of the coach have to do with anything?

Back