Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

Gannon has already been interviewed and has withdrawn his name. If Gannon is to be hired as a new HC it is probably with another team.
We will see.

Of Gannon is the hire, which I believe he will be, that should tell us about who did the hiring of Lovie.

Nick has his headphones back and is back in his seat in the coach's box. He owes Hannah. Culley doesn't count? The fiasco of McDaniels, Flores, McCown, and Gannon doesn't count? Texans going on 4 HCs in 4 years. In the words of the great philosopher DeShaun Watson, "Some things never change".
Yep, this is what it looks like when the owner tries to avoid the racism cries of guys like Dungy/RGIII. Or appease a racist pervert. Cal_s finally having to take his medicine for the bad decisions that he made. This was caused by his lack of testicles and really isn't surprising.

Yep, this is what it looks like when the owner tries to avoid the racism cries of guys like Dungy/RGIII. Or appease a racist pervert. Cal_s finally having to take his medicine for the bad decisions that he made. This was caused by his lack of testicles and really isn't surprising.
Yep and one of those very bad decisions was falling for a Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby recommendation and then falling in love with it. I am amazed at how you can see all of Cal's faults but you don't see any of Nick's.

Yep and one of those very bad decisions was falling for a Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby recommendation and then falling in love with it. I am amazed at how you can see all of Cal's faults but you don't see any of Nick's.
I just think nothing on ownership has changed and because of this I give Caserio a pass. Caserio hasn't been truly calling the shots.

I did like Caserio's last draft, but noticed that he still won't be able to add troubled but talented players. So nothing has really changed there either.

I just think nothing on ownership has changed and because of this I give Caserio a pass. Caserio hasn't been truly calling the shots.

I did like Caserio's last draft, but noticed that he still won't be able to add troubled but talented players. So nothing has really changed there either.
Just because you keep telling yourself this does not make it so. I know you want it to be but the truth is Caserio has pretty much had his way to do what he wanted to do right up until Cal hired Lovie. If Caserio hadn't screwed up the 2nd HC hire Cal would not have gotten involved.

Early draft chatter is there are several teams ready to make a deal with Chicago to move up for a QB and the Colts are at the front of the line.

Just because you keep telling yourself this does not make it so. I know you want it to be but the truth is Caserio has pretty much had his way to do what he wanted to do right up until Cal hired Lovie. If Caserio hadn't screwed up the 2nd HC hire Cal would not have gotten involved.

Early draft chatter is there are several teams ready to make a deal with Chicago to move up for a QB and the Colts are at the front of the line.
I don't think the Colts trading up to #1 should be a concern. The Colts history is one of prioritizing a QB's measurable. They should be looking at Stroud. It shouldn't be a Texans concern - unless Caserio prefers Stroud. And will the new HC have any say?

Caserio didn't screw up the process. He wanted Gannon, Cal put keeping Lovie on as DC as a condition for hiring Gannon. Gannon said thanks but no thanks, Cal then hired Lovie as HC. How did Caserio screw up this hire?

Agreed, somebody's going to trade up with the Bears to 1-1 and pick a QB. I hope that pick is Young so Caserio wont have to pick Young per Cal's orders. But I doubt that QB is Young. Most likely 1-1 will be Stroud and that franchise will pay the price for that decision. I could see that team being the Falcons or the Panthers.

I don't think the Colts trading up to #1 should be a concern. The Colts history is one of prioritizing a QB's measurable. They should be looking at Stroud. It shouldn't be a Texans concern - unless Caserio prefers Stroud. And will the new HC have any say?
What Caserio prefers???? I can't see any HC prospect, worth their weight, taking the Houston job without full control over the roster and the draft. Why would they unless they are David Culley part II? If the Texans take a QB, that decision will likely be made by the new HC. Caserio picking a QB is a frightening thought. Eewww

Last edited:
What Caserio prefers???? I can't see any HC prospect, worth their weight, taking the Houston job without full control over the roster and the draft. Why would they unless they are David Culley part II? If the Texans take a QB, that decision will likely be made by the new HC.

Of course you would think this.

And yes, the new HC should play a large part in who his QB will be. Have we learned anything from the RS/BOB yrs and the necessity for the GM/HC to work together.

Caserio didn't screw up the process. He wanted Gannon, Cal put keeping Lovie on as DC as a condition for hiring Gannon. Gannon said thanks but no thanks, Cal then hired Lovie as HC. How did Caserio screw up this hire?
It was more than just Lovie and his staff. Caserio also said it would also include Pep and his staff. It was a packaged deal. It was going to be another David Culley operation, part II. And Caserio in the coach's box wearing his headphones and doing the things he did in New England. It's the only thing he knows how to do. It's the only thing Belichick taught him. GM skills there were none. We have seen this movie before.

Of course you would think this.

And yes, the new HC should play a large part in who his QB will be. Have we learned anything from the RS/BOB yrs and the necessity for the GM/HC to work together.
If you are a prospective new HC hire why would you agree to anything less? You wouldn't. If you're a good coach you wouldn't unless you have only been a journeyman assistant coach for 30 years like David Culley.

If you are a prospective new HC hire why would you agree to anything less? You wouldn't. If you're a good coach you wouldn't unless you have only been a journeyman assistant coach for 30 years like David Culley.

The new HC is going to be a voice in the room. If Gannon is the hire then that's Caserio's guy and they will be on the same page, not only on the QB pick, but on the defensive side of the ball. But ultimately Caserio will be choosing the new QB he wants.

What Caserio prefers???? I can't see any HC prospect, worth their weight, taking the Houston job without full control over the roster and the draft. Why would they unless they are David Culley part II? If the Texans take a QB, that decision will likely be made by the new HC. Caserio picking a QB is a frightening thought. Eewww
Why would Caserio recommend/hire a HC that isn't on the same page as he is on?

I think also that Stroud fits the Colts M.O. for their QB mold. Trraditionally, Indy has gone for the prototypical pocket passer type guy (Ryan, Rivers, Luck, Manning etc). Unless the F.O./owner philosophy has changed, Stroud looks the most like that NFL ready guy, although his bad performance under pressure this past season should really be cause for concern.

I think if the Texans stay put #2, good chance Young will be there for them unless QB-needy team enters the fray. Otherwise, I see Indy making a play #1 and not messing around to get the guy they want.

The new HC is going to be a voice in the room. If Gannon is the hire then that's Caserio's guy and they will be on the same page, not only on the QB pick, but on the defensive side of the ball. But ultimately Caserio will be choosing the new QB he wants.
If Gannon is the new HC, Caserio will defer to Gannon to make the pick regardless of whether it is a QB or not. Why? Because that is what Caserio does. That is his MO. We've been watching this movie for 2 years. Good Grief. What HC in his right mind would take a job where he could not final say on who his QB will be?

I've been looking at a few of those "top prospects for 2023" lists, and I see a whole lot of defensive line candidates and to a lessor extent offensive line candidates in the first round. If it was me drafting, and it isn't, I'd take one of those killer D-line guys with my 2nd pick and an o-lineman with the 12th. Unless one of those two top rated receivers are left at 12, then I'd take one of them.

There will be QBs better than Mills available with our 2nd round pick. I'm not real hot on any of the QB free agents on the 2023 list, but I can see where having a veteran on the team can help. It's difficult to speculate to much without knowing who the hell the HC is going to be, because that will pretty much determine the draft and free agency.

I haven't read anything about Metchie fro @CloakNNNdagger since October, I wouldn't trust anyone else on this.ch
Treatment of APL (acute promyelocytic leukemia) is typically divided into three phases, each with its own objectives.

Induction therapy starts immediately after diagnosis with the goals to kill as many APL cells as possible, bring blood cell counts to normal levels, and decrease APL-related symptoms. This is known as a complete hematologic response (CHR).

Consolidation therapy follow induction therapy. Its main goal is to convert the CHR into a remission.

Maintenance therapy aims to ensure that remission is maintained over time.

Metchie received 6 weeks of in-hospital treatment, followed by a 3 month outpatient treatment regimen which was completed mid December. As there has been no extension of the treatment that I am aware of, it appears that his leukemia has successfully gone into at least remission. Longer follow up (at least 1 year) is necessary to determine if the treatment has been curative. But at this time barring an unexpected relapse, we can plan on seeing Metchie back out there for the 2023 season.

Last edited:
We can probably get Stetson Bennett in the 4th
With his pinpoint accuracy, he may be the best QB in this draft. He certainly has the stats to make a case for it. His numbers are as good if not better than Young and Stroud. He may be the Joe Montana of this draft. He is small, about the same size as Young.

Last edited:
I expect colts to trade into the 1st pick and take Stroud. It just fits their MO of previous drafts. The question then would be will we take Young at two or wait to use our 12 pick to get Levis, perhaps even moving up to say about the 6-8 slots to get him? I suspect that Levis will wind up being the best of the group. May take an extra year for him to get there. Will need to have a very good QB coach to do so, but could possibly be special

Looks like one we need to keep an eye on. We certainly need help on the outside to put pressure! on defense.
For any interested: Tennessee WR Cedric Tillman 6'3" 215 4.50(?) is on my board but later day 3. He is purely a possession WR who will have difficulty against Zone defense and doesn't have the quick off the snap or feet/wiggle to succeed at will versus man coverage. A 5th year senior he played 6 games this season due to his second ankle injury not related to the first. In 2021, he earned a 'look see' from NFL team wanting a big target with some speed.
13 games 64 catches for 1,081 yards @ 17 yds avg; 12 TDs but 156 rating when targeted. Noted to have very good hands and competitive when in air for ball.

I ran the PFN mock simulator as the Chicago bears. I got 6 trade offers including the Houston Texans;
  • Pick 2
  • Pick 12
  • Pick 33
  • 2024 CLE 1st
  • 2024 HOU 1st
I hope Nick wouldn't give up so much capital to move up 1 spot.

No way this happens.
Yeah that's a king's ransom and I doubt he gives up that much - it would cause a huge kickback from the fans. It would be a Bill O'Brien-esque move.
I'm a bit concerned that if Carstereo absolutely has to have his choice of QB and he thinks someone else is going to trade up to #1, he may bite and offer something.
If that is the asking price, I doubt anyone else has the draft capital to pull it off.

Last edited:
I honestly believe that if Nick made that trade I would stop Watching the Houston Texans.
hold-my-beer-wait.gif

Yeah that's a king's ransom and I doubt he gives up that much - it would cause a huge kickback from the fans. It would be a Bill O'Brien-esque move.
I'm a bit concerned that if Carstereo absolutely has to have his choice of QB and he thinks someone else is going to trade up to #1, he may bite and offer something.
If that is the asking price, I doubt anyone else has the draft capital to pull it off.
If the Bears ask for a kings ransom, Caserio should wait until 2024 to pay that ransom for a true franchise QB.

1) #2 JC Stroud
2) #12 Q Johnson

Nico Collins 6'4" 4.45 - can we keep two that similar ..... Nico - clock fast .... field slow ? possible I guess .... usually - other way around ! Gotta get a center ....& RG .... if there's a good'un !

im thinking we’ve sank enough resources into the o-line over the last few years between Tunsil, Howard and now Green. Its time to get a qb & some skill guys and a HC/OC combo that will maximize the talents & play to the strengths of those guys. You do that, the o-line play will Improve dramatically.

Bear fan dreamin

If the Texans would rather not risk missing out on their preferred quarterback, they could get realistically offer the Bears both of their 2023 first-round picks — Nos. 2 and 12 overall — along with Cooks in a package deal to move back up to the No. 1 spot. For Chicago, it would be an ideal trade-back scenario that would still allow them to take the top non-quarterback prospect on their draft boards while also gaining significant assets, including a new WR1 for Fields to have in his arsenal.

Going to be fun listening to this kinda crap all spring.

Lol

im thinking we’ve sank enough resources into the o-line over the last few years between Tunsil, Howard and now Green. Its time to get a qb & some skill guys and a HC/OC combo that will maximize the talents & play to the strengths of those guys. You do that, the o-line play will Improve dramatically.

Agreed. I’d rather get a vet FA at center even if the team has to overpay. Then a developmental interior OL in a later round. Premium picks have to be used to add talented weapons for whoever the new QB is gonna be. I’d like another WR and TE with their first four picks.

Back