Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 Free Agency

I'm just not a Dell fan. From watching the games, he just never impressed me.

We've already had the discussion on Sanders, and also the TE's in the 1st round. Now, Purdue TE Payne Durham, I like him. I'd be happy with Durham or Higgins in the 5th or later.

I'll pass on Charlie Jones. I'll also pass on Scott. If I'm correct about the type of WR's the Texans will need for the new offensive scheme, Scott will be too small. I believe the Texans will be looking for bigger WR's that can be decent downfield blockers in the run game. That's also one of the big reasons why I'm looking at more big bodied WR's over the small guys like Hyatt, Addison, and JSN.

Iosivas it is then.

I'm looking for an OD or better type TE.

Musgrave is my guy, although I like Kinkaid/Kraft a lot too.

In the 20-25 range give me Mayer. One things for sure, you need a really good TE if you're going to be a good WCO. Give me the most athlethic TE possible. That's the trait all of the top tier TE's share.

Agree with this, but give me a guy like Sanders at 1-12 and Musgrave or Kincaid at 2-32.

I'm all for picking a guy like Dell, Iosivas/Scott at 3-73 and seeing if they can develop one of them.

Another guy I would be looking at in the 5th rd would be Charlie Jones WR Pirdue

In my ideal scenario, the Texans go vet for LB. But I agree Sanders would be the superior value at 12 if they did not sign Edmunds or Pratt in FA.

I think we both agree that TE needs to be solved for this offense to be successful. The chances of finding your TE 1 is much higher than WR 1 in this draft. And I want to have my pick of them if I can! Mayer is my guy. LZ comped him to Jason Witten and I would not mind having 10+ years stability at that position (which I believe Mayer provides). He is my TE 1 in this draft and while its a strong class overall, he is head and shoulders above the rest on “my board”.

In my ideal scenario, the Texans go vet for LB. But I agree Sanders would be the superior value at 12 if they did not sign Edmunds or Pratt in FA.

I think we both agree that TE needs to be solved for this offense to be successful. The chances of finding your TE 1 is much higher than WR 1 in this draft. And I want to have my pick of them if I can! Mayer is my guy. LZ comped him to Jason Witten and I would not mind having 10+ years stability at that position (which I believe Mayer provides). He is my TE 1 in this draft and while its a strong class overall, he is head and shoulders above the rest on “my board”.

We're thinking alike

I'm a Musgrave guy.

Iosivas it is then.

I'm looking for an OD or better type TE.

Musgrave is my guy, although I like Kinkaid/Kraft a lot too.

In the 20-25 range give me Mayer. One things for sure, you need a really good TE if you're going to be a good WCO. Give me the most athlethic TE possible. That's the trait all of the top tier TE's share.
I'm worried about Iosivas's hand size. After reading reports that he double catches a lot, and seeing that his hands are likely close to 8 1/2 inches, I'm not sure he will be able to hold onto the ball in the NFL.

I'm not as worried about TE's as you are. I think IOL and IDL are more important than TE. If you take a TE early, you are likely to miss out on one of the top DE, DT, Center, or Guards. Instead of the TE's you want, I'd rather have Purdue TE Payne Durham much later. Durham would be a great value pick in the later rounds on Day 3. Durham showed in the Senior Bowl that he can play from the FB position.

Payne Durham Tight End Purdue | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report (nfldraftbuzz.com)

Also, if I want someone like OD, I'd take Stanford WR Elijah Higgins if we miss out on Durham, and convert him to TE. Higgins has the frame to easily add more 10-20 pounds without losing any of his speed. And.....He's from Austin, so he's a Texas boy.

Elijah Higgins Wide Receiver Stanford | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report (nfldraftbuzz.com)

Last edited:
Andre Iosivas Senior Bowl weigh-in - 6'2-7/8" - 212 lbs - 8-5/8" hands - 31-5/8" arms
Yeah, tiny hands. He'll be a body catcher, and may have a hard time holding onto balls after he takes a hit. I'm only 5'-10", and I have a 9 1/2" hand span.

I'm worried about Iosivas's hand size. After reading reports that he double catches a lot, and seeing that his hands are likely close to 8 1/2 inches, I'm not sure he will be able to hold onto the ball in the NFL.

I'm not as worried about TE's as you are. I think IOL and IDL are more important than TE. If you take a TE early, you are likely to miss out on one of the top DE, DT, Center, or Guards. Instead of the TE's you want, I'd rather have Purdue TE Payne Durham much later. Durham would be a great value pick in the later rounds on Day 3. Durham showed in the Senior Bowl that he can play from the FB position.

Payne Durham Tight End Purdue | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report (nfldraftbuzz.com)

Also, if I want someone like OD, I'd take Stanford WR Elijah Higgins if we miss out on Durham, and convert him to TE. Higgins has the frame to easily add more 10-20 pounds without losing any of his speed. And.....He's from Austin, so he's a Texas boy.

Elijah Higgins Wide Receiver Stanford | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report (nfldraftbuzz.com)
This is a great TE class, I'm trying to add difference makers. This is the class to invest in a TE, I'm not worried about filling needs at this point. Give me a Kittle/Hockenson type TE at 2-32 and I'm happy.

If Ryan's can come out of this class with 4-5 long time starters and 2-3 difference makers, then I'm happy.

I believe in drafting to the strength of the draft. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if Anderson or Carter was the pick at 1-2 and 1-12 was Schmitz followed by Musgrave at 2-33 and Achane at 3-65.

This is drafting to the strength of the draft with long time starters and difference makers.

I'm looking at Parker Washington at 3-73. Although he's only 5'10 210 lbs, I think he can play outside and I know he's a playmaker.

This is a great TE class, I'm trying to add difference makers. This is the class to invest in a TE, I'm not worried about filling needs at this point. Give me a Kittle/Hockenson type TE at 2-32 and I'm happy.

If Ryan's can come out of this class with 4-5 long time starters and 2-3 difference makers, then I'm happy.

I believe in drafting to the strength of the draft. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if Anderson or Carter was the pick at 1-2 and 1-12 was Schmitz followed by Musgrave at 2-33 and Achane at 3-65.

This is drafting to the strength of the draft with long time starters and difference makers.

I'm looking at Parker Washington at 3-73. Although he's only 5'10 210 lbs, I think he can play outside and I know he's a playmaker.
Carstereo is gonna have to be aggressive in FA.
If he can bring in two of the better guys and accomplish what you said, it will definitely impact Texans play.

The thing of it is, I like Durham more than Musgrave. Musgrave in the 2nd wouldn't be too big of a reach, but Durham can be had in the 5th or later, and I feel Durham will be the better long-term pro prospect. History has shown that the best TE's are rarely taken in the 1st round. Travis Kelce was a 3rd round pick. Kittle was a 5th round pick. We had a 1st round TE last season...just saying.

The thing of it is, I like Durham more than Musgrave. Musgrave in the 2nd wouldn't be too big of a reach, but Durham can be had in the 5th or later, and I feel Durham will be the better long-term pro prospect. History has shown that the best TE's are rarely taken in the 1st round. Travis Kelce was a 3rd round pick. Kittle was a 5th round pick. We had a 1st round TE last season...just saying.

We’ve also had plenty of mid/later round TEs that amounted to nothing.

We’ve also had plenty of mid/later round TEs that amounted to nothing.
Agreed. We've had TE's that were drafted all over the place. We've had TE's that were successful when we did use them, and in following games, everyone was wondering "Why aren't we using the TE's?" I think that goes back to coaching. We've shown that average TE's will work if we use them, and we've shown that better TE's are a waste if we don't.

I see Durham as a productive TE in 12 personnel and a quality backup. We've just gotta disagree on how we view the TE position.

Agreed. We've had TE's that were drafted all over the place. We've had TE's that were successful when we did use them, and in following games, everyone was wondering "Why aren't we using the TE's?" I think that goes back to coaching. We've shown that average TE's will work if we use them, and we've shown that better TE's are a waste if we don't.
They will be used in a WCO.

They need to be multi talented.

I think better qb play and wco, Akins and Howard are more than good enough. Both can be retained at a fair price also.

I'm for bringing them back for depth purposes. But I'm wanting difference makers, not just good enough. I want the type of TE's that we saw playing in the championship games and this is the yr to draft that guy.

I'm also looking at drafting Zach Kuhn later in the draft. That guy is very underrated.

I'm for bringing them back for depth purposes. But I'm wanting difference makers, not just good enough. I want the type of TE's that we saw playing in the championship games and this is the yr to draft that guy.

I'm also looking at drafting Zach Kuhn later in the draft. That guy is very underrated.
Good luck finding a Kelce. Goeddard was probably overdrafted.

No. I would offer him a 2-3 yr contract that is fair to him and would allow him to fulfill the contract. He would be a perfect bridge LB to teach Ryan's system to (hopefully) a mostly brand-new LB corps for the Texans.
If I could choose I’d take Lavonte David over him for that role

No. I would offer him a 2-3 yr contract that is fair to him and would allow him to fulfill the contract. He would be a perfect bridge LB to teach Ryan's system to (hopefully) a mostly brand-new LB corps for the Texans.
I think he’s stated that he wants to go to a contender, so we’d be out of the running.

I would take Goeddert on this team any day. He's very good, they dont use him the way Kelce/Kittle are used.
He is not of that ilk. He was drafted under Pederson who kind of know how to use the te after being under Reid for awhile. That's not to say Goeddart is trash, but he's been in the nfl for awhile now and kind of looks the same. We can say the same about Akins in terms of his usage and production along with the BOB offense he was in. I mean, I think in WCO, Akins and Howard can put up really good stats if the qb play improves. JMO

I see Durham as a productive TE in 12 personnel and a quality backup. We've just gotta disagree on how we view the TE position.
Durham can play as a blocking TE, a receiving TE, an H-Back, and a FB. Durham is versatile, and I love the kids attitude.

One big issue standing in the way of the above is whether Nick Caserio and DeMeco Ryanswould be willing to trade up to No. 1.
Sources tell CBS Sports there's a push within the building to sign quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo and play him in 2023 while drafting a quarterback at some point in the first round with the plan to sit him for the year and grow.

Houston picks at No. 2 and 12 with more than $40 million in cap space right now, so the Texans could easily fit their quarterback of the future into the team beside the quarterback of the now if it's Garoppolo.
The Texans hired Bobby Slowik from the Niners to be their offensive coordinator. Who better to execute that offense quickly and efficiently than a healthy Garoppolo, who knows the head coach and offensive coordinator from his time in the Bay Area and the general manager from his time in New England?
Garoppolo will have to want to go to Houston, though. A free agent, Jimmy G can pick his spot. The Jets are waiting on Aaron Rodgers and are hopeful he's going to give an answer any day now. The Raiders could have interest in Garoppolo. But those places would seemingly be the top landing spots.

If the Jets get Rodgers and the Raiders opt to go another route, the best remaining chair for Garoppolo would be Houston. The Texans could get him on a heavily-incentivized deal (due to his injury history) that they can get out of for little to no penalty after the season when their first-round quarterback has developed into a 2024 starter.

I have warmed up to signing Jimmy G. This offense needs experience. The team has an OC who has never called plays. Best way to set this team up for success is take the QB who has experience in this system and can help bring the young players/coaches that will be added along with him.

Take a prospect like Hooker late 1st or 33 but give Jimmy G a two year deal that reflects he will be the guy for next two seasons.

Hooker gets to learn behind a solid vet QB and rehab his knee. Jimmy gets to be “the guy” like he’s been wanting and if he succeeds then he can get a new contract in two years reflecting the team’s commitment. If he fails or if Hooker cannot beat him out in that two season window then the team can go QB hunting again.

But Caserio knows he can’t be picking top 3 again and still be employed. And DeMeco doesn’t seem like he is “ok” with tanking. So lets set this team up for success and the best QB to do that is Jimmy G (unless you want to give Lamar the WD40 deal and Ravens your two firsts).

IMHO, the best thing to do is to sign Jimmy to a three year deal. I doubt he would take two year one. The draft AR15 and let him sit. He plays in 24. Doesn't work out, draft another QB and he still gets to learn from Jimmy. We get to take a chance on AR15 without a huge risk. I think we will bit on a real difference maker with him. Keep Miles as QB 3.

Great plan except he'll be in street clothes on game days. :)

That's my worry. Jimmy G seems to be healthy for around 8 to 10 games a season max. If he gets hurt, our rookie better be listed as 3rd on the depth chart. Seeing the idea is to learn and not play. And Jimmy G would likely net us 7-ish wins. So, drafting a top QB is not as easy if we have to use picks to move up for one. True, I have already said that Richardson could potentially be the best in the class. He has everything you want. Only issue is he has to sit and learn and has to put it all together game in game out. If he can do that...draft him.

Can the Texans be talking to free agents now? I’m wondering if DeMeco has some buddies from SF or elsewhere that want and will come here now.

IMHO, the best thing to do is to sign Jimmy to a three year deal. I doubt he would take two year one. The draft AR15 and let him sit. He plays in 24. Doesn't work out, draft another QB and he still gets to learn from Jimmy. We get to take a chance on AR15 without a huge risk. I think we will bit on a real difference maker with him. Keep Miles as QB 3.
No , heck no. Why sign an injury waiting to happen to a theee year deal. And no to drafting AR too. I’m surprised Doc hasn’t posted his long laundry list of injuries as well. Maybe its because he is more focused on the midget man shoulder injury.

I’m down with Jimmy and maybe they can draft Stroud or Richardson with Mills only coming in for kneel downs when the game is out of reach. 🤣

The price tag for a 2 year Jimmy G rental doesn't make sense for a team on a rebuild... Grabbing a guy like Brissett, Heinecke, Mike White, Bridgewater on a shorter and cheaper deal offers the same benefit: veteran QB that can operate the offense and that young QBs can learn from... seems more prudent.

The price tag for a 2 year Jimmy G rental doesn't make sense for a team on a rebuild... Grabbing a guy like Brissett, Heinecke, Mike White, Bridgewater on a shorter and cheaper deal offers the same benefit: veteran QB that can operate the offense and that young QBs can learn from... seems more prudent.

I agree.
But if they sign Jimmy there is some benefit to having a QB who already knows the system running the offense while the rest of the guys learn it

WTF!

ROBERT WOODSWR, HOUSTON TEXANS
Robert Woods
Texans signed WR Robert Woods to a two-year, $15.3 million contract.

Woods is the vet WR to replace Cooks. He is still one of the best run blocking WRs in the NFL and can play all WR positions. PFF gave him the second highest run blocking grade among WRs this past season. Production decline mostly due to instability at QB and Titans offense being run-heavy than him losing ability from ACL injury.

But he is another season removed from that injury now. Relatively cheap deal as well. Judging by that signing he is getting WR3 money this FA season. Good low risk high reward signing for one of the most physical WRs in football (which is exactly what the Lil Shanny offense needs).

Woods is the vet WR to replace Cooks. He is still one of the best run blocking WRs in the NFL and can play all WR positions. PFF gave him the second highest run blocking grade among WRs this past season. Production decline mostly due to instability at QB and Titans offense being run-heavy than him losing ability from ACL injury.

But he is another season removed from that injury now. Relatively cheap deal as well. Judging by that signing he is getting WR3 money this FA season. Good low risk high reward signing for one of the most physical WRs in football (which is exactly what the Lil Shanny offense needs).
Been watching Wods for years - know exactly what he's all about... I understand the rationale, just underwhelmed... In WCO, you need outside WRs that cam burst and YAC. That is DEFINITELY not Woods, who is 100% possession type receiver. Despite the Titans QB hodgepodge last season, he was still JAG on that team of inexperienced and unproven WR. But if he brings some needed intangibles and leadership, I guess it makes sense.

Back