Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 Free Agency

Texans beat writer Brooks Kubena said free agent WR DeAndre Hopkins is interested in returning to the Texans.
According to Kubena, this news comes from "a person with knowledge of the situation." Hopkins returning to the Texans would go against the widely held belief that he's looking to sign with a potential Super Bowl contender in 2023, but an opportunity to return to the team he spent the first seven years of his career with could be an intriguing option for him. The Texans could undoubtedly use Hopkins' presence on and off the field, as he brings a veteran quality leadership and familiarity with the organization. His production in a suspension-shortened season last year (64-717-3) was enough to suggest he's got plenty left in the tank to give rookie quarterback C.J. Stroud a top target for the first few years of his career as the Texans look to rebuild a team that's won just 11 games over the last three seasons.

Texans beat writer Brooks Kubena said free agent WR DeAndre Hopkins is interested in returning to the Texans.
According to Kubena, this news comes from "a person with knowledge of the situation." Hopkins returning to the Texans would go against the widely held belief that he's looking to sign with a potential Super Bowl contender in 2023, but an opportunity to return to the team he spent the first seven years of his career with could be an intriguing option for him. The Texans could undoubtedly use Hopkins' presence on and off the field, as he brings a veteran quality leadership and familiarity with the organization. His production in a suspension-shortened season last year (64-717-3) was enough to suggest he's got plenty left in the tank to give rookie quarterback C.J. Stroud a top target for the first few years of his career as the Texans look to rebuild a team that's won just 11 games over the last three seasons.

No thanks

The guy popped for PEDs who hates to practice and will just shut it down whenever he feels like it? How have we not signed him to a mega deal yet?

What are y’all even talking about. He shut it down in practice because he was an all-pro WR with nagging injuries and he chose to be there on Sunday instead of Thursday. Dude missed two…count ‘em…two games in his original stint here. You guys prefer Collins who can’t stay on the field and has zero track record. Bizarre.

I’m certain that one of you is Jack Eastercrack, and the other Chin O’Brien.

Ya, let’s reject the 2nd best WR in the 20+ year history of this franchise because he doesn’t like to practice. Makes total sense.

What are y’all even talking about. He shut it down in practice because he was an all-pro WR with nagging injuries and he chose to be there on Sunday instead of Thursday. Dude missed two…count ‘em…two games in his original stint here. You guys prefer Collins who can’t stay on the field and has zero track record. Bizarre.

Ya, let’s reject the 2nd best WR in the 20+ year history of this franchise because he doesn’t like to practice. Makes total sense.

OK, you don't have to go making **** up. Nobody's saying anything about preferring Collins over Hopkins. Of course Hopkins would be the best WR on the team if he were to come back. Antonio Brown would be too, but surely you wouldn't want him here, right? And no, I'm not putting Nuk on the same level as Brown's scrambled brain. Just saying.

DHop will be 31 to start the season. He's not coming here for cheap or for a 1 or 2 year deal that Caserio seems to be in love with. So you want him to sign for a **** ton of money for 4 years? I'm not down with that. There's way too many WRs coming onto the scene every year. Hell, just in the last 3 years or so there's been Chase, Jefferson, Lamb, St.Brown, Aiyuk, Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Garrett Wilson, I mean these guys are almost becoming a dime a dozen. You don't need to tie yourself down with a big salary cap hit for a wrong side of 30 WR.

Last edited:
OK, you don't have to go making **** up. Nobody's saying anything about preferring Collins over Hopkins. Of course Hopkins would be the best WR on the team if he were to come back. Antonio Brown would be too, but surely you wouldn't want him here, right? And no, I'm not putting Nuk on the same level as Brown's scrambled brain. Just saying.

DHop will be 31 to start the season. He's not coming here for cheap or for a 1 or 2 year deal that Caserio seems to be in love with. So you want him to sign for a **** ton of money for 4 years? I'm not down with that. There's way too many WRs coming onto the scene every year. Hell, just in the last 3 years or so there's been Chase, Jefferson, Lamb, St.Brown, Aiyuk, Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Garrett Wilson, I mean these guys are almost becoming a dime a dozen. You don't need to tie yourself down with a big salary cap hit for a wrong side of 30 WR.

I’m only onboard for 1 or 2 years. So, if the argument is 4 years at 60+ mil, nope not doing that. That’s why I said let the market dictate this situation. If someone else wants to do it, I would step aside. But if rumor is true, we are already see some compression of his market. Supposedly Buffalo is out. A lot of the other places have cap issues making it very difficult. Other places Hop would simply be another cog. If he goes to Philly, where does he fit? Who wants to willingly go to Cleveland? Watson? Is that enough of a draw alone? KC? If he takes less and is solely motivated by SB aspirations maybe, but again, just another cog there.

If you analyze it, Houston makes more sense than most places. We can accommodate him under the cap with a few simple moves. He has history here. He has family here. Unlike most places, here he would be the unquestioned dude, and he will be motivated to prove distractors wrong aka he will have a big chip on his shoulder. From the Texans side, this WR room is ugly. This is bottom 5. It’s not like we don’t need help.

It’s less than 50/50, but this is a situation that both sides should pursue, and if I am Nick, I am pursuing it, while also treading lightly. I’m telling him look, we can do a 1 or 2 yr deal at something reasonable by 2023 standards, but if you insist on 3 or 4 yes, we will have to pass.

Drafting Stroud and his cast of Characters, might as well bring Hopkins back so he can teach Stroud to pay his hoes. Trash gonna always be trash.

I really do hope they bring Hopkins back. I love watching trainwrecks.

Drafting Stroud and his cast of Characters, might as well bring Hopkins back so he can teach Stroud to pay his hoes. Trash gonna always be trash.

Your narrative pushing is really becoming pretty extreme. Why are the ultra negative comments so necessary? Some of your post(s) are so insightful….until you drop the deep negative bomb which takes the insightfulness off the table.

Your post(s) when focused on the game of football are pretty dang awesome.

Your narrative pushing is really becoming pretty extreme. Why are the ultra negative comments so necessary? Some of your post(s) are so insightful….until you drop the deep negative bomb which takes the insightfulness off the table.

ece6ab7b6f989bd092c32c002bb6d346.gif

So now all the sudden you want a bunch of choir boys? Weren’t you one of the folks on here ranting and raving for years how the Texans never took a chance on character issue players? Suddenly your tune changed. Interesting.

The Texans have approximately $16.8 million in cap space & still have to sign Stroud & Anderson. After signing them, there should still be enough cap space left over to sign Hopkins to a large enough one year deal to entice him to take it. Offer him a one year contract at slightly above what he can get with anyone else & see if he takes it. Just letting the cap space sit there for the year does nothing for the team or owner. And, the team gets the cap space back next year if it doesn't work out. We know what he can do on the field & that talent could help Stroud's development immensely.

The Texans have approximately $16.8 million in cap space & still have to sign Stroud & Anderson. After signing them, there should still be enough cap space left over to sign Hopkins to a large enough one year deal to entice him to take it. Offer him a one year contract at slightly above what he can get with anyone else & see if he takes it. Just letting the cap space sit there for the year does nothing for the team or owner. And, the team gets the cap space back next year if it doesn't work out. We know what he can do on the field & that talent could help Stroud's development immensely.
$16.8M to sign Stroud, Anderson, & Hopkins

:thinking:

What?

$16.8M to sign Stroud, Anderson, & Hopkins

:thinking:

What?
Okay, they'll have to cut or restructure someone's contract to sign Hopkins. They still haven't extended Tytus Howard yet & his 2023 cap hit is almost $14 million. I'm not sure how the CBA works, but I'm hoping they could do some kind of restructure & extension that would drop his cap hit this year to a much more friendly level. If not, then Hopkins is off the table if he wants any more than the vet minimum.

1685820588873.png

So now all the sudden you want a bunch of choir boys? Weren’t you one of the folks on here ranting and raving for years how the Texans never took a chance on character issue players? Suddenly your tune changed. Interesting.

I dont want Clemson trash on the team. I've been very consistent about this. But I do hope they sign him.

What narrative? I really do hope they sign him. It would be very entertaining and that's what most around these parts want. You should be happy.

I believe what I believe and you cant win with trash on the team and no, I'm not looking for choir boys, but I am looking for guys that winning is 1st and foremost, Hopkins isn't one of those guys. Same with Harden.

I dont want Clemson trash on the team. I've been very consistent about this. But I do hope they sign him.
What narrative? I really do hope they sign him. It would be very entertaining and that's what most around these parts want. You should be happy.

I believe what I believe and you cant win with trash on the team and no, I'm not looking for choir boys, but I am looking for guys that winning is 1st and foremost, Hopkins isn't one of those guys. Same with Harden.
You don't want Clemson trash or guys that winning isn't first and you know Hopkins is both and yet you hope they sign him? :crazy:

You don't want Clemson trash or guys that winning isn't first and you know Hopkins is both and yet you hope they sign him? :crazy:

Yes I do, I love a good trainwrck. The McNair's didn't learn a darned thing from the Derrick/Hopkins yrs and I'm hoping they revisit those yrs. It will be very entertaining and because I dont think there will be championships, I'm more than willing to be entertained watching the McNair's screw up again. Signing Hopkins would greatly help with this, and obviously the McNair's have a much different view of their franchise than I do. So I'm looking forward to watching the crash and burn. It's really going to be entertaining.

Come on, guys.

He's been totally upfront about this. You've got to understand SteelB and where he's coming from.

He hates this administration. He wants them to make bad decisions so that they crash and burn as quickly as possible so the entire house can be swept clean and the healing can begin.

He wants them to sign Mulugheta clients and then get betrayed by them. He wants them to sign Clemson players so that the team has a bad locker room and bad character.

He's afraid (and expects) that Stroud will be just good enough to keep us mired in mediocrity, too good to automatically jettison like a Josh Rosen but also not good enough to have a real shot at making any noise in the playoffs once we get there... similar to where we were with DW.

So he's going to be rooting for things that he considers to be bad decisions. Like re-signing Nuk.

Come on, guys.

He's been totally upfront about this. You've got to understand SteelB and where he's coming from.

He hates this administration. He wants them to make bad decisions so that they crash and burn as quickly as possible so the entire house can be swept clean and the healing can begin.

He wants them to sign Mulugheta clients and then get betrayed by them. He wants them to sign Clemson players so that the team has a bad locker room and bad character.

He's afraid (and expects) that Stroud will be just good enough to keep us mired in mediocrity, too good to automatically jettison like a Josh Rosen but also not good enough to have a real shot at making any noise in the playoffs once we get there... similar to where we were with DW.

So he's going to be rooting for things that he considers to be bad decisions. Like re-signing Nuk.
Yes and that's terribly sad

Hopefully Slowick & DeMeco handle business like little Shanny. If Stroud can be a healthy Garoppolo for us, future looking bright.

If released, should we kick the tires? I saw him in college and he wasn't bad. A change of location and good coaches might be able to get more out of him. Still on a rookie deal so cost would be less than a 5+ year vet.

No, especially if it would take a "healthy" offer. We also have signed a pair of rookies, Hutchinson and Wayne we need to kick the tires on.

Texans signed George Fant

Interesting signing. Basically a ball of clay athlete former basketballer who only played one season of college football. Got signed as a UDFA by the Seahawks and converted to OL. Used as a hybrid 6th OL/TE in specialty packages with them as well as swing tackle.

Became a three year starter at both OT positions for the Jets. Has dealt with significant injuries in two of his pro seasons but his best football is still yet to come. He is a quality swing OT option. OT is the strength of this team. Top tier starters with quality depth battling it out for the swing role. Don’t know how long Heck is out but if he is gone too long then Fant will take his job.

Interesting signing. Basically a ball of clay athlete former basketballer who only played one season of college football. Got signed as a UDFA by the Seahawks and converted to OL. Used as a hybrid 6th OL/TE in specialty packages with them as well as swing tackle.

Became a three year starter at both OT positions for the Jets. Has dealt with significant injuries in two of his pro seasons but his best football is still yet to come. He is a quality swing OT option. OT is the strength of this team. Top tier starters with quality depth battling it out for the swing role. Don’t know how long Heck is out but if he is gone too long then Fant will take his job.
Yeah but...

Back