Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 Free Agency

This is exactly what they seem to be doing and I agree with the philosophy if not the players, contracts, etc. All should realize this is a year to take some risks but build for the future with the draft. Do we have the team in place to evaluate college players and make the right decisions? Personally I want to see huge seasons from our last draft crop including Pierce who was average in all categories. Yeah, I know but look them up 13 games 220 attempts [tied for 13th]; yards 939 [17th]; 4TDs [31st]; avg/carry 2.3 [31st]. Good for a 4th round rookie but I want more from a starter.
Pierce may not have been at the top of the list for performance. But not having any other real offense going, he did extremely well. With a balanced offense and hopefully improvement in the olineman, especially if we run a zone blocking scheme of some sort, he should thrive no differently than Aaron Foster did.

This is exactly what they seem to be doing and I agree with the philosophy if not the players, contracts, etc. All should realize this is a year to take some risks but build for the future with the draft. Do we have the team in place to evaluate college players and make the right decisions? Personally I want to see huge seasons from our last draft crop including Pierce who was average in all categories. Yeah, I know but look them up 13 games 220 attempts [tied for 13th]; yards 939 [17th]; 4TDs [31st]; avg/carry 2.3 [31st]. Good for a 4th round rookie but I want more from a starter.

First, Pierce had a 4.3 YPC, not 2.3 YPC. Henry, Barkley and Cook all finished in the top 6 in rushing yards and all had a 4.4 YPC.

Second, you seem to recognize that he played in only 13 games (missed last four) but then assess his stats based on his ranking for the entire season.

Had he played all 17 games, based on his average over those 13 games, he would have had 1,230 yards. That would be good enough for 6th in the league, which is actually where he was tracking before he got injured. And that is with TWO games where he gained 8 yards.

I'd like to get more than what you suggested.
I'd like a good deal on car insurance. But I live in Texas, so that's not happening.

1st round picks are hard to come by in trades. Especially from a team that will need to dole out a mega contract to Tunsil. Maybe I'm wrong, but two Day 2 picks would be a solid return considering.
For Cooks, a Post June 1 trade would cut the 2023 dead money in half...about 8-mil.
That's if the team that trades for Cooks absorbs all of his 2023 salary. I don't see that as likely. How much of the $18 million salary will the Texans have to eat? No idea. But I know something has to be done. Ryans isn't going to allow Cooks to hang out in camp playing Safety like Watson in 2021.

BTW. What happened to Jordan Thomas?

Yeah, that went by quick. Drafted in 2018, two seasons with the Texans, waived in 2020. Went to the Cardinals and played in 4 games, was waived, picked up by NE, played in a couple of games, was waived. Then signed to reserve/future contracts by the Colts in 21 and the Lions in 22. He was drafted by the St. Louis Battlehawks in 2022 and released a few days ago.

I had high hopes for the two Jordans back in the day.

First, Pierce had a 4.3 YPC, not 2.3 YPC. Henry, Barkley and Cook all finished in the top 6 in rushing yards and all had a 4.4 YPC.

Second, you seem to recognize that he played in only 13 games (missed last four) but then assess his stats based on his ranking for the entire season.

Had he played all 17 games, based on his average over those 13 games, he would have had 1,230 yards. That would be good enough for 6th in the league, which is actually where he was tracking before he got injured. And that is with TWO games where he gained 8 yards.

The last game Pierce played in the Texans were 26th in rushing yards.

Make a list of every player on the entire roster available to play on offense.
Put that list in order by who is most to least responsible for the Texans being 26th in rushing yards.
Pierce is the last player on that list

More context for your list:

Davis Freaking Mills was almost the second leading rusher this past season by a scant 15 yards. He had the longest rush of the season and more rushing TDs by anyone on the roster not named Dameon Pierce.

But yeah, Pierce is the reason the Texans were 26th in rushing yards...

Yeah I’m awaiting the physical results. If he can pass the physical, I’d be willing to take a flier on him.
I believe that too many people unknowingly place too much confidence in players that come back from injury simply because they have been reported to have been medically cleared. As I've tried to explain in the past, these tests, such as physical exams and x-rays only can test basics of anatomical restoration. They are not very good at predicting future performance. Many players every year are cleared to practice and play.............many can return to pre-injury level.......but many are never able to..................yet their body structures were surgically replaced basically to anatomical normalcy. That certainly does not mean that their surgeon did something wrong (although that also does occur on occasion) and their surgeon failed them. The surgeon very likely did well.............and the player's body didn't.

Make a list of every player on the entire roster available to play on offense.
Put that list in order by who is most to least responsible for the Texans being 26th in rushing yards.
Pierce is the last player on that list

Point being, which I didn't make clear before (my bad), is that as good as Pierce was the Texans were still not a good running team. Dude can't do it by himself. Gotta get away from the Rex Burkhead type bullshit.

Point being, which I didn't make clear before (my bad), is that as good as Pierce was the Texans were still not a good running team. Dude can't do it by himself. Gotta get away from the Rex Burkhead type bullshit.

Burkhead has got to be replaced, but he was as good as the Texans had for a backup RB last year. We need another good RB from the draft this year and then let Burkhead go.

Y

Yep 2.3 was a mistype and surely you knew that?

Yes you might project his stats but that could just as easily be wrong.

You highlight my point with two games.. 8 yards.
I'm glad he's on team but as i said, he needs to play an entire season. Let's see if he does become a 1200 yard RB. I hope he does. I expect another RB to come in and reduce Pierce's carries and he will last longer.

4.3 may be where NFL backs are but should be higher.

I'd like a good deal on car insurance. But I live in Texas, so that's not happening.

1st round picks are hard to come by in trades. Especially from a team that will need to dole out a mega contract to Tunsil. Maybe I'm wrong, but two Day 2 picks would be a solid return considering.

That's if the team that trades for Cooks absorbs all of his 2023 salary. I don't see that as likely. How much of the $18 million salary will the Texans have to eat? No idea. But I know something has to be done. Ryans isn't going to allow Cooks to hang out in camp playing Safety like Watson in 2021.
Another way to look at Cooks' contract is receiving team pays 18 this season but only 13 2024; not bad average and Brandin said he is willing to rework deal to help a trade.

Yep 2.3 was a mistype and surely you knew that?

Yes you might project his stats but that could just as easily be wrong.

You highlight my point with two games.. 8 yards.
I'm glad he's on team but as i said, he needs to play an entire season. Let's see if he does become a 1200 yard RB. I hope he does. I expect another RB to come in and reduce Pierce's carries and he will last longer.

4.3 may be where NFL backs are but should be higher.

Apologies if my "First" comment came across as anything other than correcting the mistype.

All I can say is that Pierce was the lone offensive bright spot last season and ran ridiculously hard every play. He was a rookie and didn't have a perfect season, and I get the whole don't look past anything in a bad season that you wouldn't in a good season, but honestly outside of being injured the final four games, it feels like a lot of freaking effort to criticize his season and essentially call him a JAG like you did.

When I look at those two back-to-back games with 8 yards each, I see the following:

Washington: Only 10 total designed run RB plays in a game where Mills threw a Pick-6 on the opening drive and got sacked 5 times while throwing for a scant 163 yards.

Miami: Again, only 9 total designed RB plays in the entire game where Kyle Allen made 39 pass attempts because they were down 30-0 at the half.

No word on Perryman. Must be that medicals didn’t fully checkout or they are hung up on money.

At any rate, MLB is probably the largest need on defense (can argue edge rusher) going into the draft. Drew Sanders and Trenton Simpson are my targets at 33. Jack Campbell at 65. Demarvion Overshown at 104 (but i’d want a vet like Perryman to start ahead of him this season).

If Perryman signs, I still want a rookie who can come in during passing situations and learn under him for 1-2 seasons.

Unlike DE in this year’s draft, there are not a lot of MLBs to choose from. I don’t want to simply swap out Kirksey just because… I want someone who will develop into an upgrade.

The Texans coaching staff interviewed Perryman last Thursday, and he underwent and completed a physical late that afternoon. Perryman's evaluations/reviews were actually completed Friday 5 pm.
Gonna guess the fact that there’s no signing yet means they’re out on him

Seems to be chump change to the likes of the Tunsils of this world.
The Tunsil signing freed up money. All the new bodies ate up the little bit we had. Even though we were 7th in the league, $37M isn’t going to buy you difference makers.

51 players on the roster & you know 20 of them need to be replaced. Can’t do a lot with $37M

Caserio is going to find as many Kirkseys & Wards as he can to field a competent team while simultaneously bringing in new talent through the draft

Last edited:
Our starting tackles Tunsil and Howard now biggest cap eaters. I would think usually that would be a QB and a WR.
The draft should allow us to begin replacing other players with lower contracts, more so if we trade out of 1.2.

F/A Signings
Shaq Mason
Robert Wood
Andrew Baeck
Case Keenum
Chase Winovich
Mike Boone
Zach Allen
Hassan Ridgeway
Jimmy Ward
Noah Brown
Sheldon Rankins

Resigned/Extended
Laremy Tunsil
MJ Stewart
Tavierre Thomas
Dekek Rivers

Denzel Perryman - Up in the air

Did I miss anyone?

Though famous for being a colossal bust, Dante Fowler has had a pretty solid career as a situational pass rusher. Was solid with the Cowboys. Would be a good addition up front IMO.

The Tunsil signing freed up money. All the new bodies ate up the little bit we had. Even though we were 7th in the league, $37M isn’t going to buy you difference makers.

51 players on the roster & you know 20 of them need to be replaced. Can’t do a lot with $37M

Caserio is going to find as many Kirkseys & Wards as he can to field a competent team while simultaneously bringing in new talent through the draft
Some of those one and two year deals will be falling off the books and freeing up more cap. Plus he can still move around a bit to get the guys DR wants. All the rookies have already been accounted for so now he can concentrate on the roster.

Some of those one and two year deals will be falling off the books and freeing up more cap. Plus he can still move around a bit to get the guys DR wants. All the rookies have already been accounted for so now he can concentrate on the roster.
Right. This is the process.

It's possible the cap could have been cleared for 2023 had Caserio gone about his business another way. He didn't. Looking back It's hard to see why. We're not carrying anything over to 2023, but 3 or 4 draft picks and a well paid LT.

F/A Signings/Trades
Shaq Mason
Robert Wood
Andrew Baeck
Case Keenum
Chase Winovich
Mike Boone
Hassan Ridgeway
Jimmy Ward
Noah Brown
Sheldon Rankins
Devin Singletary RB