Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 Fantasy Football League - Invitation Enclosed

Porky

Hall of Fame
This is for all of you that want to kick my butt! If you can...which I really doubt. But I double dog dare you to try!

It's totally free to play, it's only for fun and some bragging rights. It's also open to your friends or family as long as they join before we hit 10 teams.

The direct sign-up link is below....

Thanks. I joined. Now I have to figure out how to draft. I was supposed to help my wife and daughter with her college aid application but that obviously is secondary to the fantasy pool!
Draft is not until Sep. 4th @ 7:30PM
You can fund lots of help here
and view league settings here
fantasy scoring is a bit different than who is the best player so use all the resources you can

Last edited:
Draft is not until Sep. 4th @ 7:30PM
You can fund lots of help here
and view league settings here
fantasy scoring is a bit different than who is the best player so use all the resources you can

I thought it said the draft was this upcoming Tuesday at 2:30 PM, which I thought was an odd time so I'm happy to hear that it's not that day or time.

Thanks for the links!

Reactions: JB
Thanks. I joined. Now I have to figure out how to draft. I was supposed to help my wife and daughter with her college aid application but that obviously is secondary to the fantasy pool!

You can do some mock drafts if you plan to draft live. They have an on-demand mock draft. I usually do 2 or 3 mocks before the real deal. If you cannot make the draft, the computer will choose for you, but I always join the live draft unless I have to be somewhere and can't get out of it. It feels more like the real deal that way. Draft info is below:

Mon Sep 4 - 7:30 pm CDT
The draft room will open 30 min before your draft time.

You can do some mock drafts if you plan to draft live. They have an on-demand mock draft. I usually do 2 or 3 mocks before the real deal. If you cannot make the draft, the computer will choose for you, but I always join the live draft unless I have to be somewhere and can't get out of it. It feels more like the real deal that way. Draft info is below:

Mon Sep 4 - 7:30 pm CDT
The draft room will open 30 min before your draft time.

Is the computer any good at picking dudes?

Is the computer any good at picking dudes?
It picks them strictly according to ratings. Most are very unhappy with a computer generated draft
edit: Also the computer doesn't pay any attention to injuries or suspensions

Last edited:
It picks them strictly according to ratings. Most are very unhappy with a computer generated draft
edit: Also the computer doesn't pay any attention to injuries or suspensions

Thanks. And what's the point of playing if the participant isn't picking their teams?

Yes, but at night. Figured most people will be off and have some slack time after dinner. There is no perfect time. Not sure if it can be changed but I can check if that’s bad for most of you.

I am in!
Gonna have to do some begging or spending lots of money on my wife to have her let me make the draft!! Its her birthday night and we will be in Panama City Beach!! I'll do my best! lol

• Haha
I joined but if you need the spots for guys you promised I'll delete mine. No worries, just let me know

Welcome! There's no rules...just right. I heard that one night during a steak dinner.

As far as I'm concerned, it's first-come-first-served. Your move Baller or TexansBull.

Welcome! There's no rules...just right. I heard that one night during a steak dinner.

As far as I'm concerned, it's first-come-first-served. Your move Baller or TexansBull.

giphy.gif

LOL. It looks like you beat the clock! We've got all ten locked and loaded. Remember - 7:30 pm (central) on Labor Day Monday. This is 3 weeks from today, Sept 4.

We're filled unless someone drops out. I'll let you know if that happens.
Any chance you can change it to a 12 team league at this late date? Do you have that option?

Any chance you can change it to a 12 team league at this late date? Do you have that option?

I personally don’t mind 12 man teams and limited number of bench players. It keeps some of the good players out there week to week and makes the waiver wire more exciting.

I just checked and it does allow me to make that change.

Two things. If the group agrees then I'm fine with it, but I'd like to hear input...

First, that will dilute the talent available. Granted, this change hits everyone equally in the draft, but having been in 12-team leagues...the problem comes when injuries hit. So, it's more likely with a 12-team league that the healthiest teams are the more likely teams to win. That is always the case to some degree just as in real life...but it's enhanced with 12 teams because it's hard to find someone off the waiver wire when injuries hit.

Second - I'll probably tweak some of the settings a bit as TB just above alludes to in order to help (slightly) with the above-mentioned issue.

Third - I'd like to make sure we have two more active owners that are ready once I increase to 12. It seems Pencil Neck is one. Any other takers?

I’m probably going to open to 12. I also have dilution concerns but I go by popular demand and right now 12 is winning. If anyone else wishes to weigh in speak now or forever Hold your peace pipe.

Hi fellow fantasy footballers. Two quick items. Reminder that Monday at 7:30 PM (central) is the live draft.

Hopefully, most of you can make it and draft your guys live. If you cannot - the computer will pick for you which can be hit and miss.
If you know for sure you can't make it and you have some guys you really want, you can juggle the auto-pick order.

The commissioner does not set draft order. That's set at random by Yahoo not long before the draft. You might be 1st or you might be 10th.
The draft proceeds in a snake fashion - if you draft first in the 1st round, you're drafting last in the second round, then first again in the 3rd rd (1st, 20th, 21st) and so on.

Lastly, the scoring is relatively normal using Yahoo standard settings but there are a few areas where I think adding points is appropriate and a few others where I take away points. For example, if a D gives up more than 35, I take away a couple of points. OTOH, runs/passes/catches of 40+, I add a point. Mostly smallish point amounts, but I suggest going to the league and looking at the scoring to better understand how you should draft. If anyone has objections to the scoring, speak now or forever hold your peace pipe!

@Porky - what did you change on league settings?

Just a few minor items. Open the league page, at the top go to league --> settings to see the scoring. Everything impacts us all equally but it is still good to review.

Minor items include a smallish bonus for "big plays" over 40 yards, and exceptional plays by the D and/or holding the opponent to a very low score. Otherwise, it's largely Yahoo's standards.

The only semi-major item is FG's. Yahoo has a new option this year, which is points per yard. Usually it's done within 10 yard brackets.

For example, normally let's say a 40 yard FG is worth 3 points and 50+ is 5 points. If a kicker hits a 49 yard FG, he still only gets 3 - it reverts back to the points value for 40 until it hits the next tier, which is 50. One more yard, and he would have gotten 5.

I changed it to 1 point per 10 yards with fractional numbers. So, using the same 49 yard kick - that kicker earned you 4.9 points. If he kicked a 32 yarder, you earn 3.2 points. I think that's a lot fairer and logical.

Figures that my #1 pick gets hurt days before the season opener :pissed:

Back