Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 Draft Predictions

Here are 5 predictions that I think are going to happen on Thursday:

1. Only 1-2 receivers will be drafted in the 1st round.
2. Calijah Kancey DL falls to day 2. I just don’t know what team would be a good fit for him. I think it’d be amusing if the Rams took him with their first pick. I think he’s a great player but his size doesn’t fit every defense.
3. The Texans make a trade in the first round. I think they’ll move back from 12.
4. 3 TEs are drafted day 1 (Kincaid, Mayer, and Washington)
5. Bijan is drafted somewhere 10-18.

Anyone else have day 1 predictions?

Iow, you predict you will suck - like I usually do....😅

They never do what I think they should do. My picks, at least early on were far better than anything the Texans ever did. Maybe the only time I’ve ever lined up with their thinking was AJ but that was genuinely impossible to screw up. Detroit made it happen by taking Charles Rogers. Not a doubt in my mind that if they hadn’t screwed that up then the Texans would have stepped right in it.

I don't think Caserio trades back any further than 8. If he doesn't get the trade he's looking for, then it'll be LB, Anderson at #2. If he trades back with the Cardinals or Colts....Anderson will still be on the board. Ryans gets his pick and Caserio gains additional draft capital....pretty much a solid win-win.

If the Texans wind up picking at 2, 3, or 4 and 12.....then I'm pretty sold on going with LB- Will Anderson, Jr (Alabama) with their 1st pick and DE- Lukas Van Ness (Iowa) with the 12th pick. I believe this first day puts every NFL team on notice that Caserio and Ryans are going to put together a dominant defense. I did a Mock where I didn't draft Hooker, but did give Ryans LB- Jack Campbell (Iowa), SS- J.L. Skinner (Boise State), and CB- Terrell Smith (Minnesota) as well. Five really strong pieces for Ryans.

I believe Seattle and Detroit will sit tight and save their draft capital.

As for the Raiders and Falcons, they'll want a QB and could be eyeing the #2 or #3 spot provided they're willing to pay the price for such a move. For both of these teams, a 2024 RD1 pick will be part of the asking price since they just don't have enough 2023 draft capital.

If the Texans strike a deal with Raiders or Falcons....then I really like a combination of QB- Hendon Hooker (Tennessee) and DE- Lukas Van Ness (Iowa) with the 7 or 8 and 12th picks. It could be Hooker 7, 8 or 12 and Van Ness at 7, 8 or 12. Either way, the Texans walk away with a solid Thursday Night.

I predict there is gonna be a shocker right at the top of the draft.
With the first pick, Carolina selects
Anthony Richardson.
Carolina had a pretty good couple of years with a big mobile QB not so long ago and that memory will be very fresh in their minds. AR is even faster and maybe has a better arm than CN. Raw yes, but is still only 20 yrs old and wants to learn and grow.
So Texans fans, if this happens on Thursday night, who you taking at #2?
Y'all gonna jump on the BY wagon?
How about, and here's another shocker, Texans take Jalen Carter!? :firehair:

Texans stay put in RD1 and go Will Anderson Jr and Hendon Hooker. If Hooker is gone, maybe Lukas Van Ness.

If the Texans trade back from 2, then it's Hooker and Van Ness.

If the Texans wind up picking at 2, 3, or 4 and 12.....then I'm pretty sold on going with LB- Will Anderson, Jr (Alabama) with their 1st pick and DE- Lukas Van Ness (Iowa) with the 12th pick. I believe this first day puts every NFL team on notice that Caserio and Ryans are going to put together a dominant defense. I did a Mock where I didn't draft Hooker, but did give Ryans LB- Jack Campbell (Iowa), SS- J.L. Skinner (Boise State), and CB- Terrell Smith (Minnesota) as well. Five really strong pieces for Ryans.
While I like all of the players you mention, I don't see drafting the same position with the first 2 picks. Although Anderson is listed as LB/ED and Van Ness as DL/ED I see them both playing the same role - edge. I would rather see Nolan Smith at 12 because he is more of an off ball LB and I think he is a stud with a work ethic that Demeco will love.
But I wouldn't be disappointed with Van Ness or Campbell either.

Last edited:
While I like all of the players you mention, I don't see drafting the same position with the first 2 picks. Although Anderson is listed as LB/ED and Van Ness as DL/ED I see them both playing the same role - edge. I would rather see Nolan Smith at 12 because he is more of an off ball LB and I think he is a stud with a work ethic that Demeco will love.
But I wouldn't be disappointed with Van Ness or Campbell either.

Van Ness is a 4-3 DE. Campbell is a straight-up MLB. That leaves Anderson, who I believe is piece that could have the freedom to move around and create his opportunities to disrupt offenses. I also like SS- JL Skinner (Boise State) or SS- Antonio Johnson (Texas A&M) if he's still on the board. This infusion of talent should help put the wall in place versus the run while having two new pieces who can help get pressure on QB's. Give Ryans the talent and let him deploy it.

Back