Thanks for your support!

2023 “No-Trade” Mock(s)

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Ignored all trade offers and selected from the PFN board for each slot:

MOCK
1-002: DE- Will Anderson Jr (Alabama)
1-012: QB- Hendon Hooker (Tennessee)

2-033: OC- John Michael-Schmitz (Minnesota)

3-065: OL- Cody Mauch (North Dakota State)
3-073: SS- Antonio Johnson (Texas A&M)

4-104: RB- Kenny McIntosh (Georgia)

5-161: WR- Andrei Iosivas (Princeton)

6-188: FB- Hunter Luepke (North Dakota State)
6-201: LB- Shaka Heyward (Duke)
6-203: DB- Gervarrious Owens (Houston)

7-230: TE- Kemari Averett (Bethune-Cookman)
7-259: DL- Byron Young (Alabama)

This would be an interesting group with a few sleepers mixed in.

Herndon is a Chirstian stating that it was a "blessing" to have parents who got him and his siblings to be active in church at an early age. Hooker has said that all his hard work was inspired by his parents, and says his dad’s influence and mentorship while serving in the youth ministry at their church has helped him understand he "can use the game [football] to spread the message of Jesus Christ".[62]

With his knowledge of the Bible and wanting to influence the younger generation and his younger cousin Landon, Hooker and his brother created a children's book called The ABCs of Scripture for Athletes. Hendon’s goal was for the work to be "a positive influence in the lives of kids in his community". The book uses a sports themed alphabet to help kids learn scripture.[63]
With this kind of Christian background it will be a snap for Casserio to convince Cal that Herndon should be the Texans QB,
however can he convince himself and Demeco that Herndon should be the guy ?
Say Op-Tex you really like Herndon don't you, and I'm sure I dunno because maybe he is the real sleeper at QB in this Draft ?
But in this scenario since we aren't gonna draft Stroud or Young @ #2, why not trade that pick to reap the maximum return possible by loading up on picks ?

Herndon is a Chirstian stating that it was a "blessing" to have parents who got him and his siblings to be active in church at an early age. Hooker has said that all his hard work was inspired by his parents, and says his dad’s influence and mentorship while serving in the youth ministry at their church has helped him understand he "can use the game [football] to spread the message of Jesus Christ".[62]

With his knowledge of the Bible and wanting to influence the younger generation and his younger cousin Landon, Hooker and his brother created a children's book called The ABCs of Scripture for Athletes. Hendon’s goal was for the work to be "a positive influence in the lives of kids in his community". The book uses a sports themed alphabet to help kids learn scripture.[63]
With this kind of Christian background it will be a snap for Casserio to convince Cal that Herndon should be the Texans QB,
however can he convince himself and Demeco that Herndon should be the guy ?
Say Op-Tex you really like Herndon don't you, and I'm sure I dunno because maybe he is the real sleeper at QB in this Draft ?
But in this scenario since we aren't gonna draft Stroud or Young @ #2, why not trade that pick to reap the maximum return possible by loading up on picks ?

I would like to think that the 12th pick could be in play b/c Hooker wasn’t supposed to come off the board until RD2 or maybe even RD3. That’s changing daily, in Hooker’s favor, as the draft gets closer.

Hooker’s interviews have been well received and that’s probably b/c of his level of maturity which is obviously beyond his current age.

What caught my eye as I was reviewing video’s of this QB class was his throwing motion it immediately reminded me of Moon and his quick release of Marino. He receives the ball and it goes from chest, up, is cocked, and then released with an over the top throw which should help immensely since he’s viewed as a “pocket passer”. He’s 6’-3” and his throwing motion makes him even taller in the pocket which should help prevent batted passes.

The fact that he’s viewed as a “pocket passer” is not a downer in today’s game b/c he’s an intelligent and effective runner when he breaks the pocket and takes off. His kind of running can’t be planned for which is why it’ll be effective in moving the chains.

I don’t think QB needy teams are going to wait and see if he’ll fall to them in RD2, much less RD3. If the Texans have any desire of getting Hooker in mid RD1….they should be very aware of the Falcons (8) before pick 12, and the Commanders (16), or Bucs (19) if they want to trade back from 12.

I would like to think that the 12th pick could be in play b/c Hooker wasn’t supposed to come off the board until RD2 or maybe even RD3. That’s changing daily, in Hooker’s favor, as the draft gets closer.

Hooker’s interviews have been well received and that’s probably b/c of his level of maturity which is obviously beyond his current age.

What caught my eye as I was reviewing video’s of this QB class was his throwing motion it immediately reminded me of Moon and his quick release of Marino. He receives the ball and it goes from chest, up, is cocked, and then released with an over the top throw which should help immensely since he’s viewed as a “pocket passer”. He’s 6’-3” and his throwing motion makes him even taller in the pocket which should help prevent batted passes.

The fact that he’s viewed as a “pocket passer” is not a downer in today’s game b/c he’s an intelligent and effective runner when he breaks the pocket and takes off. His kind of running can’t be planned for which is why it’ll be effective in moving the chains.

I don’t think QB needy teams are going to wait and see if he’ll fall to them in RD2, much less RD3. If the Texans have any desire of getting Hooker in mid RD1….they should be very aware of the Falcons (8) before pick 12, and the Commanders (16), or Bucs (19) if they want to trade back from 12.
I can't see HH going in R1, so if Texans want him, he's theirs as they pick first on day 2.

Here's how mine shook out with PFN. Young went #1. Overall, pretty happy with this:

1. C. J. Stroud (QB)
12. Lukas Van Ness (EDGE)

33. Zay Flowers (WR)

65. Luke Musgrave (TE)
73. Luke Wypler (C)

104. Daiyan Henley (LB)

161. Riley Moss (CB)

188. Roschon Johnson (RB)
201. Puka Nacua (WR)
203. Karl Brooks (DT)

230. Christian Izien (S)
259. Keondre Coburn (DT)

OT does 12,327 mocks. 100% of which have Hendon Hooker coming here. Gotta love the guy's unending loyalty for something that is quite unlikely to happen.

I completely understand OT's p.o.v on Hooker.:tiphat:

My mock isn't complete until I draft Duggan. Usually available in rd 5.
I take DE @2

Also unlikely to occur.

I like Hooker or Levis.

:coffee:

Ignored all trade offers and selected from the PFN board for each slot:

MOCK
1-002: DE- Will Anderson Jr (Alabama)
1-012: QB- Hendon Hooker (Tennessee)

2-033: OC- John Michael-Schmitz (Minnesota)

3-065: OL- Cody Mauch (North Dakota State)
3-073: SS- Antonio Johnson (Texas A&M)

4-104: RB- Kenny McIntosh (Georgia)

5-161: WR- Andrei Iosivas (Princeton)

6-201: LB- Shaka Heyward (Duke)
6-203: DB- Gervarrious Owens (Houston)

7-230: TE- Kemari Averett (Bethune-Cookman)
7-259: DL- Byron Young (Alabama)

This would be an interesting group with a few sleepers mixed in.
Careful I got laughed off @ taking Hooker in 2nd after taking QB #2 😂

Careful I got laughed off @ taking Hooker in 2nd after taking QB #2 😂

I never worry about how some view my post(s)…..hail, just the sharing of opinions and we all know what opinions and arseholes have in common….everyone seems to have one.

I know you like Herndon and he might be the best Qprospect

Hooked is indeed an intriguing prospect, and I know you have been pushinghim but the Texans I think are after bigger fish, more high profile qbs. We shall soon see.

We'll end up with Tyrion Lannister as our QB. Now we know Tyrion is good, because he made through to the end. But his journey was difficult, with many setbacks.

Tyree Wilson
    EDGE Texas Tech

Nolan Smith
    EDGE Georgia
    trade icon
    Jack Campbell
    LB Iowa

Tuli Tuipulotu
    EDGE USC
    trade icon
    Steve Avila
    OG TCU

Hendon Hooker
    QB Tennessee

Ricky Stromberg
    OC Arkansas

Riley Moss
    CB Iowa

Ali Gaye
    EDGE LSU

DeMarcco Hellams
    S Alabama

Puka Nacua
    WR BYU

Jason Brownlee Jr.
    WR Southern Miss
    trade icon
    Lew Nichols III
    RB Central Michigan
    trade icon
  • 2024 NYG 2nd
  • 2024 DAL 4th

I like Hooker a lot as well. Was hoping we could get him at 33 or higher.

I like Hooker a lot as well. Was hoping we could get him at 33 or higher.

Hooker's stock is on the move up. He's going to go RD1 and may find himself back in the top 15 or maybe even top 10 as was expected pre-injury. Hooker seems to be giving solid interviews and comes off as a man with a solid set of core values. If Ryans and Caserio select Anderson at 2.....something tells me every GM will know they're targeting Hendon Hooker at 12 or 33. This would certainly spice up the draft a bit.

I bet one of these top 5 QB’s drops to 33 and I’m ok with taking that chance. If they all get taken then look at QB next year. This year just concentrate on getting solid players. We’re are not a QB away from greatness yet, a lot of holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve included a “no QB” approach in this “No Trade Mock”. Focused heavily on the “Dirty Dozen”.

MOCK
1-002: LB- Will Anderson, Jr (Alabama)
1-012: DE- Lucas Van Ness (Iowa)

2-033: LB- Jack Campbell (Iowa)

3-065: OC- Joe Tippmann (Wisconsin)
3-073: SS- J.L. Skinner (Boise State)

4-104: OC- Ricky Stromberg (Arkansas)

5-161: OL- Andrew Vorhees (USC)

6-201: CB- Terrell Smith (Minnesota)
6-203: TE- Payne Durham (Purdue)

7-230: RB- Deuce Vaughn (Kansas State)
7-259: WR- C.J. Johnson (East Carolina)

I believe a defensive focused draft like this would be a Ryans dream come true. Anderson, Van Ness, and Campbell in starting lineup from Day 1. Skinner would be in this group as well, but should be ready early in the season. Smith should be fine on ST’s as he begins his grooming as a backup.

Tippmann, Stromberg, and Vorhees would make this OL very strong and deep. All 3 are versatile pieces and strong in the run game. Ryans and Slowick want a dominant run game, get the road graders on the field and add an equally versatile FB like Luepke to go along with Pierce and Singletary and a running game should be there. Toss in a big blocking TE like Durham and it only gets better. Getting a real 3rd down back like Vaughn would be a real change of pace. Finding ECU WR Johnson as Mr Irrelevant could be a nice move based on his 2022 production.

I guess 2024 becomes the year and focus on a QB if CK and Mills can’t hold the fort down. If they don’t…..Texans may not have to do any kind of trading up for one of the top two QB’s at the moment. Put money on the media finding at minimum (3) more QB’s to elevate for no other reason than to appease ratings.

I keep promising myself these are my final selections then I find another good one.
This one is the strongest I have concocted and is plausible.
This would be a dream draft:-
2 CJ Stroud QB
12 Myles Murphy DE
33 J M Schmidt C
65 J Brents CB
73 Z Harrison ED
104 N Herbig LB
161 D Allen TE
188 P Nakua WR
203 A Bradford OL
230 C Young DL
259 C Brown RB

I was surprised to see how effective Nate Herbig was as a pass rusher as well in his resume.
Edit - 201 D Hellams S

Last edited:
Back