Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2020 Free Agency

Keenum as a backup to Watson would be fine with me. I doubt the Texans would want to pay a backup QB what it would take to sign him (as a backup).

Not if it's felt that the best person is already inside the organization. I gave you my answer to your question. You didn't like it, and that's OK. But don't make it sound as if you have the only right answers and the Texans always make the wrong decisions with everything.

I don't like the Texans answer. We now have many inexperienced people running things

Keenum as a backup to Watson would be fine with me. I doubt the Texans would want to pay a backup QB what it would take to sign him (as a backup).

Keenum struck the iron once after leaving the Vikings. There will be no NFL team offering Keenum a starting opportunity. He'll have to settle for QB2 money for the rest of his NFL career......unless he wants to make a move to the CFL where he could have a chance to be a QB1. If the Texans wanted to re-sign Keenum, I think the price could come at a very affordable cost.

As a Coog alum, I love what Keenum did for the university. But no thanks on bringing him back, I don’t want to start hearing from fans about how he should get a shot to play whenever deshaun makes one bad play. Mccarron seems like a sharp mind and is a backup in this league with the potential to manage a game or two if need be. 2 yr/$5 million deal and leave that position alone

I don't like the Texans answer. We now have many inexperienced people running things

You don't like anything the Texans do since OB was hired. Also the assistants actually tend to do a better job and quicker to because they already know how the org is structured and what company policies are, less of a learning curve. Sometimes I get the impression you've never worked in the corporate world, promoting from within or getting fresh people right out of college so you can train them on your way of doing things with no bad habits learned elesewhere is pretty much how its done these days. Only time you really go out of house is if you are having to burn it to the ground and, despite you believing they should do that, the Texans don't feel they need to.

You make an assumption they are inexperienced - you don't know how involved they were in the process under the old leader. Organizations do this all the time, not like the Texans are doing something outside the norm here. Have you never been promoted because your boss moved on and you were the most experienced and knowledgeable person to fill the role? That normally works better than going external where the person might have experience working contracts for example, but no experience with your organization.

I'm with CnD - doesn't really matter what decision they make, you'll hate it regardless.

You don't like anything the Texans do since OB was hired. Also the assistants actually tend to do a better job and quicker to because they already know how the org is structured and what company policies are, less of a learning curve. Sometimes I get the impression you've never worked in the corporate world, promoting from within or getting fresh people right out of college so you can train them on your way of doing things with no bad habits learned elesewhere is pretty much how its done these days. Only time you really go out of house is if you are having to burn it to the ground and, despite you believing they should do that, the Texans don't feel they need to.

Agreed, but I wish they would interview some outside people so they can learn new ideas from a different perspective.

Agreed, but I wish they would interview some outside people so they can learn new ideas from a different perspective.

In regards to coaching and such I'm with you but in regards to contracts there aren't many new ideas involved. I suppose maybe a different negotiator could get a better deal but they could also not have the same work relationship so they get a worse deal. Its a roll of the dice either way you go.

I have actually been the most pro-Crennel person in Houston. I also like some of the things gaine and Olsen did. I also have consistently said Watson is a top 5 QB.

It's the OBrien lovers who consistently trash the rest of the franchise and say things like Watson is dumb while calling themselves "positive"

You make an assumption they are inexperienced - you don't know how involved they were in the process under the old leader. Organizations do this all the time, not like the Texans are doing something outside the norm here. Have you never been promoted because your boss moved on and you were the most experienced and knowledgeable person to fill the role? That normally works better than going external where the person might have experience working contracts for example, but no experience with your organization.

I'm with CnD - doesn't really matter what decision they make, you'll hate it regardless.

Organizations bring in a mix of outside experienced talent and promote from within.

With O'Brien it's been almost exclusively promoting yes men from within

Organizations bring in a mix of outside experienced talent and promote from within.

With O'Brien it's been almost exclusively promoting yes men from within
BOB's only been the de facto GM for a year, so I'm assuming you mean all the moves the Texans have made under BOB's direction which would be coaches.

Outside talent brought in under BOB (just on the offensive side of the ball):

2015: Mike Devlin, Pat O'Hara
2016: Sean Ryan
2017: Will Lawing, Wes Welker
2018: Danny Barrett,
2019: Carl Smith, John Aylward, TJ Yates

The only example that I'm aware of of someone being promoted from within under BOB is Tim Kelly, who started off as offensive quality control, then assistant OLine coach, then TE coach. Which seems to point to BOB grooming him with an eye towards possibly promoting him to OCoordinator for some time. We don't even know if Olsen's replacement will come from within yet. It's very possible that the move has to do with once again bringing in someone from outside -- Nick Cesario. And yet you're griping that all we do is promote people from within under BOB? And weren't you griping when they pursued Cesario as well (someone not being promoted from within)?

I have actually been the most pro-Crennel person in Houston. I also like some of the things gaine and Olsen did. I also have consistently said Watson is a top 5 QB.

It's the OBrien lovers who consistently trash the rest of the franchise and say things like Watson is dumb while calling themselves "positive"

People see what they want to see on here. They’re also really good at deflecting.

But hey Obrien is here for another 3-4 years. So we might as well get behind him too. Like I say every off season, I hope this will be the year he puts it all together.

People see what they want to see on here. They’re also really good at deflecting.

But hey Obrien is here for another 3-4 years. So we might as well get behind him too. Like I say every off season, I hope this will be the year he puts it all together.

People on here also avoid answering direct questions and keep beating the same dead horse over and over with nothing new to say.

BOB's only been the de facto GM for a year, so I'm assuming you mean all the moves the Texans have made under BOB's direction which would be coaches.

Outside talent brought in under BOB (just on the offensive side of the ball):

2015: Mike Devlin, Pat O'Hara
2016: Sean Ryan
2017: Will Lawing, Wes Welker
2018: Danny Barrett,
2019: Carl Smith, John Aylward, TJ Yates

The only example that I'm aware of of someone being promoted from within under BOB is Tim Kelly, who started off as offensive quality control, then assistant OLine coach, then TE coach. Which seems to point to BOB grooming him with an eye towards possibly promoting him to OCoordinator for some time. We don't even know if Olsen's replacement will come from within yet. It's very possible that the move has to do with once again bringing in someone from outside -- Nick Cesario. And yet you're griping that all we do is promote people from within under BOB? And weren't you griping when they pursued Cesario as well (someone not being promoted from within)?

My problem with caserio is that it would be another pats reject yes man like easterby.

The oc Tim Kelly is OBriens Penn State assistant.

The GM is OBrien himself.

The DC is now Crennels assistant.

The cap guru will probably just be O'Brien too.

That's too many major positions with inexperienced people in charge.

My problem with caserio is that it would be another pats reject yes man like easterby.

Oh yeah and I forgot Easterby is basically the President of football operations and he's clueless too

Oh yeah and I forgot Easterby is basically the President of football operations and he's clueless too

This is why I have trouble taking your posts seriously. You talked about how no outside people brought in then ignore the whole list of people that were.

You also talk about how Easterby and Caserio are clueless yes men, which you also said about Gaine up till he was fired, so I’m guessing you don’t think much of Belichick. Since he thought both were good enough to keep around for decades and even threaten legal action to keep one as long as he could. Or do you think they have a shortage of “yes men” in New England?

Even this “clueless” thing you base that on absolutely no evidence whatsoever except what makes sense in you own head. There are plenty of on field things to be unhappy about OB with so why do you insist on trying to add not just professional things that you have no way of knowing but you even try to disparage the man’s personal character.

I just don’t understand why this is so personal to you. Cliche as it maybe this is just a game and a game we aren’t playing just watching at that.

You saying you didn't like Case?

My memory must be failing me.
I think that bridge had been burned.
If the Vikings have some cap space (which is unlikely, even though it would be just veteran back up money; they are pretty leaned with some major FAs of their own that they need to resign), I think Kubiak would want Case there.
Sean Mannion hadn't shown anything and Keenum is very "fluent" with Kubiak's WCO now.
You know Kubiak is their new OC, right?

Anyone else reading/hearing that Roby has indicated he's leaving?

Seen it from two different sources so far.
There was something out that his play may have caused him to price himself out of the planned Amount the team would want to spend. Nothing in stone besides a few blokes guessing.

Agreed 100%. Ever since I did some initial digging, my conclusion is hes more important to NEs success than meets the eye.

I don't know if Caserio would make a good GM or not but there are two facts about him in NE that I find very interesting and makes me want to see what he can do.

1. He is the only person not named Kraft that is listed on the official Pats website as being part of the front office. You know more people than that have to be there to run something so big but only he gets credit for it.

2. As far as I know he is the only non-player, and not many players, that the Pats threatened legal action against another team in order to keep. The typical style of the Pats is that if someone wants to leave let them but for him they went all out to keep him at least one more year.

I don't know if Caserio would make a good GM or not but there are two facts about him in NE that I find very interesting and makes me want to see what he can do.

1. He is the only person not named Kraft that is listed on the official Pats website as being part of the front office. You know more people than that have to be there to run something so big but only he gets credit for it.

2. As far as I know he is the only non-player, and not many players, that the Pats threatened legal action against another team in order to keep. The typical style of the Pats is that if someone wants to leave let them but for him they went all out to keep him at least one more year.

This should tell us all we need to know about Caserio's value.

Except neither were rejected by the Patriots. The Patriots wanted to keep them.

Keep them but not promote them. They were looking for more responsibility and belichick said nah.

Easterby had no real executive authority and Caserio is viewed as more of an organizer around the league. He does not have final say on the roster.

Belichick likes them assistants/advisors nothing more

This is why I have trouble taking your posts seriously. You talked about how no outside people brought in then ignore the whole list of people that were.

You also talk about how Easterby and Caserio are clueless yes men, which you also said about Gaine up till he was fired, so I’m guessing you don’t think much of Belichick. Since he thought both were good enough to keep around for decades and even threaten legal action to keep one as long as he could. Or do you think they have a shortage of “yes men” in New England?

Even this “clueless” thing you base that on absolutely no evidence whatsoever except what makes sense in you own head. There are plenty of on field things to be unhappy about OB with so why do you insist on trying to add not just professional things that you have no way of knowing but you even try to disparage the man’s personal character.

I just don’t understand why this is so personal to you. Cliche as it maybe this is just a game and a game we aren’t playing just watching at that.

How many times are you gonna do the "don't take your posts seriously" schtick?

You're the one defending O'Brien all season. It's now blowing up so why do you have credibility?

Keep them but not promote them. They were looking for more responsibility and belichick said nah.

Easterby had no real executive authority and Caserio is viewed as more of an organizer around the league. He does not have final say on the roster.

Belichick likes them assistants/advisors nothing more

Nobody gets promoted in NE, I posted an entire article from the Boston Globe about how when BB retires they are in a lot of trouble because all their best talent has to leave in order to get promoted.

How many times are you gonna do the "don't take your posts seriously" schtick?

You're the one defending O'Brien all season. It's now blowing up so why do you have credibility?

Well first I never claimed anything about credibility. To worry about that you have to be making a claim without any proof other than just your word. I try very, very hard not to do that and either post where I am getting information from or just state my own opinion. Second not sure you know what you mean by blowing up. They had a bad loss against the Chiefs and no question heads should have rolled but they are far from blowing up. You want to see blowing up go look at the Browns.

Last I know in your mind anybody that doesn't use every single post to point out how bad OB and the Texans are, even if the post makes no sense, but just pointing out facts or asking a question does not equal being an "O'Brien nuthugger". Some of us can just step back and not take anything the Texans do so personal. I said it before but you have abandoned all rational and logical thought in your blind and, frankly worrisome, hatred of Bill O'Brien.

The typical style of the Pats is that if someone wants to leave let them but for him they went all out to keep him at least one more year.

The Patriots generally get something in return. That may be the hold up. They may not care if Caserio leaves. But since they know we want him, they want something for him.

With this "tampering charge" out there, I don't see how we'll ever land Caserio. If he ever becomes a part of the Texans, the Pats will bring it up again.

The Patriots generally get something in return. That may be the hold up. They may not care if Caserio leaves. But since they know we want him, they want something for him.

With this "tampering charge" out there, I don't see how we'll ever land Caserio. If he ever becomes a part of the Texans, the Pats will bring it up again.

Wouldn’t matter if he did if he’s no longer under contract.

Wouldn’t matter if he did if he’s no longer under contract.

Tampering means the Patriots could not negotiate an extension with their employee because we tampered with him.

Us hiring him would lend to that possibility. If the Patriots cry about it the NFL would investigate & there's plenty of circumstantial evidence to support their claim.

The NFL could strip draft picks & award them to New England if they find the evidence credible, or just want to kick Robert Kraft a bone.

Back