Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 Training Camp

Supposedly today the OL looked the best they've looked all canp today.
That's good news, but I wonder ? I dunno how the Lions team compares to the Packers personnel ? And another thing these guys from the upper midwest aren't accustomed
to playing and practicing in the kind of weather we have have here in Houston in August.
Well anyway looking forward to Saturdays game with the Lions.

How you guys feeling about starting the likes of Roderick Johnson at LT? They may want to get Howard settled at LG this year and then move him out there next year. But I've heard multiple reports that MK is only so-so at best right now. And Davenport needs to be the swing tackle this year. He can play either side. So...it's either MK or RJ at LT unless they make a trade. A cut player from another team isn't going to be the starting LT.

How you guys feeling about starting the likes of Roderick Johnson at LT? They may want to get Howard settled at LG this year and then move him out there next year. But I've heard multiple reports that MK is only so-so at best right now. And Davenport needs to be the swing tackle this year. He can play either side. So...it's either MK or RJ at LT unless they make a trade. A cut player from another team isn't going to be the starting LT.

I can't imagine that he's better than Davenport. Better than Kalil sure. But can he play the swing tackle? Davenport has looked terrible at RT

SiriusXM NFL observations/interviews...
Kirwan/Miller

• Roster changes: For Texans 146 starts, 5200+ plays are gone from last season. (Raiders changes by comparison: 59 starts 3,300 plays are gone.)
  • Max Scharping "was tremendous" today at RG and RT. Looks like he has a shot to win the RT job. "Max has got a punch. They tried some wide-9 technique on him and he was fine with that. Then they went heavy on him and tried to bull him and he was good with that. He just looks like a guy who will end up in the starting lineup."
  • "Carl loves Watson", he looked very good today. "He threw a ball in the red zone ball today that was just perfect… It was coming in hot, too." "Excellent in the red zone, extremely accurate today." He’s not frantic out there, his ball is tight, his motion is compact, he can heat it up when needed.
  • Kicker, punter, coverage units are not a concern.
  • Texans first four opposing QBs on the road. Brees, Rivers, Mahomes, Luck. Those guys threw 153 TDs last year. Texans first four QBs at home: Foles, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan and Carr. And Brady is in there. Depth at CB is a big concern.
  • "Two veterans brought up Lonnie Johnson to us today."
  • "Quite a few players have brought up Carlos Watkins to us."
  • Jahleel Addae is fitting in nicely. With Justin Reid this is a good big nickel team.

Deshaun Watson on the TEs: JT "bigger, strider, physical, likes to jump, has speed." JA: "Smaller version of JT with more finesse", DF: "True Y, does everything right", KW: "freak athlete, big/tough/physical, can really fly, strong hands, can jump"… facing a big learning curve. Needs to get healthy, get on field to learn. "We can do anything we want to with the TEs."

DW on himself: "I’m healthy finally, feel good, not comfortable/always striving to get better." "Carl [Smith] has so much knowledge, experience you have to listen to him, he’s been doing it for longer than I’ve been alive." "I’m blessed and glad that Coach OB brought him here."

DW on his contributing to OL sack totals: "I’ve got to get rid of the ball, I can’t hold the ball, I’ve got to sit in the pocket when I need to, I’ve to throw the ball away. I’ve got to make this throw, this read. I’ve got to make this check. I’ve got to make the right Mike point. I got to throw my hots and sight adjust."

Bill O’Brien on the front office: We have Chris Olsen, Matt Bazirgan, Jack Easterby… we spend a lot of time together after practice. We really do a good job of managing our time. We’re evaluating the roster, evaluating the league, and doing everything we can to improve the team. It’s a day to day effort. We keep the big picture in focus, Chris keeps us in line relative to the salary cap. He’s a smart guy, great demeanor really calm. He deals with the agents and things like that and the rest of us deal with the players.
OB on Focus has been on biggest red area problems: first is penalties, then sacks, then lack of execution from coaches and players. We spent a lot of time on that in the Spring and I think we’ve improved. Today was one of our better days in red area.

OB on Scharping/Tytus: Max is already mature, understands how to study tape, comes early/stays late, has a good future. They had a "good team meeting" with Tytus yesterday because he was just "okay" yesterday. "He’sprobably a little bit better today after the team meeting." "Tytus is a great kid, you’re coming from Alabama State to the NFL and we think he has a limitless ceiling. We’re excited about him and the work ethic he brings."

OB on Special Teams. Gilly: drafted for special teams production, awesome guy, still progressing. Deandre Carter: great kid, good on punt returns, solid guy. Trevor Daniels: Had an inconsistent year, we brought in some competition for him.

OB on Tater: "He’s awesome, brought a lot to the table." He’s really good in situations, he’s just really bright guy when it comes to situational football because of all of his experience. Good addition to the staff, good guy to have around, good demeanor. Really calm guy like Deshaun is more than me so that’s good to have in that room.

JJ Watt on continuity up front: We have a lot of great chemistry, we can do a lot because we all know the system and we’ve been doing it for a while. We can communicate with just a look or a hand signal. Sometimes it doesn’t even take that, sometimes literally in the middle of a play you can just feel what a guy is doing and play off of that. Knowing that goes a long way, everybody trusts and knows each other.
JJW on his stance: I take a real low stance, it’s like loading a spring that how I load myself and then as they snap the ball it’s just vertical on a 45 degree angle out toward the OL. My hands come first to catch them right in the chest. Most guys go out, I’m coming up and out to get up underneath their pads. I keep my feet very square so I can go left or right or straight.

JJW on health: Feels good to be coming off a season like last year, to have a full offseason to train and get better because all you want as an athlete is a chance to get better. I really enjoy it, I enjoy practicing, and I think we have a really good plan. I love the game and I’m happy to be out there.

JJW on where he lines up: Depends on who you have with you, Whitney prefers being on the right, but I’ll move around a lot.

Jonathan Joseph: "I’m feeling better this year than I did last year." Taking it year by year.

Roderick Johnson has looked far better than Kalil this far.

— Seth C. Payne (@SethCPayne) August 15, 2019

Decent against guys who wont make a team...
Said guys also beat the supposed to be penciled in starter at LT like he was their red headed step child! With that said, I’ll have the guy who didn’t get smacked around with ease have a go just to see what he looks like.

Decent against guys who wont make a team...

Not altogether the case on the outside linebackers GB played. Kyler Fackrell, who recorded 10 sacks last year and also FYI is the guy Howard threw around like a sack of potatoes, their 1.12 pick from the draft Rashan Gary and Reggie Gilbert who played in all 16 games last year for them and recorded 1 of the two sacks on Webb. The biggest question mark on their side was Randy Ramsey but he still was good enough to get the other of their 2 sacks. Oh and Markus Jones, who was there and that's pretty much all anybody has to say about him.

Tweet from @PatDStat: Seeing the preseason injuries piles up across the league is why OB wants all the joint practices he can’t get. Gets work in for all three phases of his team, controlled work with both teams doing their best to protect each other. #Texans

Tweet from @PatDStat: OB mentioned in two days the #Texans put in about 80 snaps between two days of work during joint practices. That is equivalent to a game. Injuries will happen but they are not as frequent in those practice situation. The team is getting work in and OB is protecting the core.

Tweet from @PatDStat: Seeing the preseason injuries piles up across the league is why OB wants all the joint practices he can’t get. Gets work in for all three phases of his team, controlled work with both teams doing their best to protect each other. #Texans

Tweet from @PatDStat: OB mentioned in two days the #Texans put in about 80 snaps between two days of work during joint practices. That is equivalent to a game. Injuries will happen but they are not as frequent in those practice situation. The team is getting work in and OB is protecting the core.

Heard a guy on the radio who brought up that in practices the qb isnt supposed to be hit. Most guys will either run past him or tag him on the way by. Some coaches dont want their qb touched at all.

Anyways his point was that when the real games start if the qb hasn't played in any situations where they can get hit then they get a false sense of security and they dont develop the internal clock needed to avoid pressure/sacks in a real game.

Not saying I agree just sharing. I do think pre season games can be a good ramping up tool. I think even a practice game is better preparation than a controlled scrimmage.

Tough decisions being a head coach.

Heard a guy on the radio who brought up that in practices the qb isnt supposed to be hit. Most guys will either run past him or tag him on the way by. Some coaches dont want their qb touched at all.

Anyways his point was that when the real games start if the qb hasn't played in any situations where they can get hit then they get a false sense of security and they dont develop the internal clock needed to avoid pressure/sacks in a real game.

Not saying I agree just sharing. I do think pre season games can be a good ramping up tool. I think even a practice game is better preparation than a controlled scrimmage.

I think it's losing the battle to win the war . You may start slow in the real season but you're healthy .

Yeah, this is pretty much crap...as you know. I doubt that during the short course of a couple of controlled practices that any QB forgets all their years of actual games and obtain a false sense of security. Or even TC in general since QB’s can’t be touched then either. Don’t even know why someone would even want to make that claim. Even though they aren’t touched believe me they feel the pressure wave of a pass rush.

There isn't a coach in this league that is going to allow his defense to hit his QB in practice. They don't in joint practices either this league is nothing without the QB's and you want your top paid players getting hurt in practice, because that is what is going to happen if you have them taking hits in practice.

There isn't a coach in this league that is going to allow his defense to hit his QB in practice. They don't in joint practices either this league is nothing without the QB's and you want your top paid players getting hurt in practice, because that is what is going to happen if you have them taking hits in practice.

??????

Could me nothing.
Could mean a lot.

If I had a player pegged as starter though, I'd probably keep him there and wouldn't suddenly relegate him to back up. Maybe sending the rookie a message to not get too complacent.

Now, I've been ok with the pick thinking he was at least going to start at LG. If he is a back up LG with as bad as this line has been I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.

Sounds like there's no serious shot of him starting at LT since Kalhlil was out and they bumped Johnson up and made him a back up guard.

How I feel about Howard is that he's a small school guy with a lot to learn and get used to playing against men who are as big, fast, strong as he is.
can he learn his craft? Yes, can Devlin teach him the ropes? doubtful. Another reach? Possible. I've been saying this since Howard was drafted.

I can't imagine that he's better than Davenport. Better than Kalil sure. But can he play the swing tackle? Davenport has looked terrible at RT

He looked better at LT than Davenport ever has.

People who think Davenport can be an avg LT are kidding themselves. He's always sucked at RT. Hopefully Johnson has developed into a serviceable LT while on the PS.

There is a reason AP isn't playing anywhere, he is just flat done. No one beats father time. Great for a long time for a RB, but now is the time to hang up the cleats.

There is a reason AP isn't playing anywhere, he is just flat done. No one beats father time. Great for a long time for a RB, but now is the time to hang up the cleats.

LMAO .. this guy was custom made for the Bill OBrien "Run into the wall 20 times" rushing offense!

upload_2019-8-19_7-43-26.png
Redskins
251 attempts
1,042 yards
4.2 YPC
7 TDs
20 REC
208 yards
10.4 YPR
1 TD

tenor.gif

How I feel about Howard is that he's a small school guy with a lot to learn and get used to playing against men who are as big, fast, strong as he is.
can he learn his craft? Yes, can Devlin teach him the ropes? doubtful. Another reach? Possible. I've been saying this since Howard was drafted.
Would you say about the same thing about another Texans rookie Olineman who is also from a small school: Max Scharping ?

Would you say about the same thing about another Texans rookie Olineman who is also from a small school: Max Scharping ?

Yes, but to be truthful I watched a few of Scharping's games last yr and really liked him. So I was more familiar with him, Northern Illinois also plays in a much better conference than Alabama A&M. IMHO

Go to the draft thread and checkout my thoughts on Scharping.

Yes, but to be truthful I watched a few of Scharping's games last yr and really liked him. So I was more familiar with him, Northern Illinois also plays in a much better conference than Alabama A&M. IMHO

Go to the draft thread and checkout my thoughts on Scharping.
MY NIU buddy was torn that the Bears didn't grab him and keep him home.

What?

You know the link with the video posted two posts above you was from a couple days ago, right?

It does, except after seeing Davenport and so far Howard this may be a case of being Lucky is better than being good.
If, and I say if, the Texans get a bonafide starting NFL LT that was a Cleveland Brown reject and has been on the practice squad since....that's not luck. That's a lot of hard work by the player and the staff.

Still, that's a big "if" at this point.

It does, except after seeing Davenport and so far Howard this may be a case of being Lucky is better than being good.

I think Howard will get a year under his belt ( LT/LG ) and next year will come back 10lbs lighter , quicker , and much stronger . He's not a bad athlete for his size but he can take up a notch or two . He has a chance to be a really good OL .

Last edited:
I think Howard will get a year under his belt ( LT/LG ) and next year will come back 10lbs lighter , quicker , and much stronger . He's not a bad athlete for his size but he can take up a notch or two . He has a chance to be a really good OL .

He tested out as an avg athlete and as such was moved to LG. There's nothing wrong with this, the Texans could certainly use a better LG. The proof will be in the pudding. I dont ever expect Howard to play LT.

His 40 and vertical were good . The rest were sloppy but he entered college as a 6'3 220 lb QB . He then grew into a TE and then an OT .

2 of the biggest things an OL needs to perform in at the combine.

Short Shuttle- worst at the combine

BP- avg

Compare Scharping's combine to Howard's, Scharping is the better athlete. Dillard is what an elite athlete at OT looks like.

Howard (broken finger) and Kalil are out today with Martin back. Will be interesting to read about the starting OL in this scenario.

Pat's second attempt at the 53

https://mavensports.io/texans/news/...roster-prediction-2-0--6TCECXmiUKM0I9DjSyFsw/

Houston Texans 53-Man Roster Prediction 2.0

Quarterback (3)
  • Deshaun Watson
  • A.J. McCarron
  • Joe Webb III
Analysis

Nothing changes for this group. Joe Webb III is the primary back up for Deshaun Watson until further notice. A.J. McCarron has a cast on his throwing hand for his injured thumb, but he is doing everything to stay sharp both mentally and physically.

Running Back (5)
  • Lamar Miller
  • Duke Johnson
  • Cullen Gillaspia (R)
  • Damarea Crockett (R)
  • Buddy Howell, Jr.
Analysis

The one change is the addition of Buddy Howell Jr., and removing Taiwan Jones. Howell was one of their best special teams players last season. Add in he has some juice as a running back, Howell has overall more upside than Taiwan Jones. If Duke Johnson can not make it back in time, it could open the door for another running back like Taiwan Jones or Karan Higdon Jr.

Wide Receiver (6)
  • Deandre Hopkins
  • Will Fuller
  • Keke Coutee
  • DeAndre Carter
  • Tyron Johnson (R)
  • Vyncint Smith
Analysis

Another position group for the Texans that is being tested due to the injury to Keke Coutee. DeAndre Carter will fill the slot role until Coutee returns, and if Carter plays well it could mean less time for him on the field. Tyron Johnson still holds the edge over Vyncint Smith and Steven Mitchell at the moment. With the injury to Coutee, Smith has to be brought to the roster for depth reasons. The Texans want at least four-wide receivers active for gamedays.

Tight End (3)
  • Jordan Thomas
  • Jordan Akins
  • Darren Fells
Analysis

Darren Fells is the Y (blocking) option, the U (combo) Jordon Thomas and the F (primary receiving with little blocking) in Jordan Akins for the tight end group. This group does not change, and we do not expect it heading into the season. The lack of practice time for Kahale Warring is a concern, and it is tough to see how he would help this season. Roster spots are vital, and the Texans can't waste any.

Offensive Line (9)
  • OT-Julién Davenport
  • OT- Seantrel Henderson
  • OT-Roderick Johnson
  • OG/OT-Tytus Howard (R)
  • OG/OT-Max Scharping (R)
  • OG/C-Zach Fulton
  • OG/C-Greg Mancz
  • OG-Senio Kelemete
  • C-Nick Martin
Analysis

A couple of changes from last week's group. Roderick Johnson and Senio Kelemete are now in the group, and it is due to their production on the field. Matt Kalil could end up the starter when it is all said and done, but he is missing time due to injury. Roderick Johnson is improving, Seantrel Henderson and Julién Davenport continue to be steady and be dependable. The Texans also have Tytus Howard and Max Scharping if they need offensive tackles in a pinch. Their interior is in decent shape with Howard and Scharping plus the return of Nick Martin. The steady play of Zach Fulton is getting the respect and attention of many inside the building.

Specialty (3)
  • LS Jon Weeks
  • P Trevor Daniel
  • K Ka'imi Fairbairn
Analysis

The group is the same as last season. Trevor Daniel has been the better punter through camp over Bryan Anger.

Defensive Line (5)
  • D.J. Reader
  • Angelo Blackson
  • Brandon Dunn
  • Charles Omenihu (R)
  • Joel Heath
Analysis

The Texans are playing more four-man fronts and less real 3-4 defense the past couple seasons. The Texans will use J.J. Watt in 3-4 fronts, but they will continue to use D.J. Reader and Brandon Dunn as their run stuffers. Joel Heath is healthy and back to a run-stopping presence that can play end in the 3-4 or inside with four-man fronts. Charles Omenihu will be the Texans primary pass rusher to help out in nickel and dime situations.

Edge/Outside Linebacker (4)
  • J.J. Watt
  • Jadeveon Clowney (Franchised)
  • Whitney Mercilus
  • Brennan Scarlett
Analysis

The primary edge group for the Texans in 2019 and getting Jadeveon Clowney back is priority number one for the season. The emergence of Whitney Mercilus during camp has been a welcomed sight, and once again the defense will depend on J.J. Watt to carry the pass rush early in the season.

Inside Linebacker (5)
  • Benardrick McKinney
  • Zach Cunningham
  • Dylan Cole
  • Peter Kalambayi
  • Tyrell Adams
Analysis

One of the more solid position groups for the Texans. Benardrick McKinney and Zach Cunningham remain their top two linebackers. Keeping Dylan Cole healthy for the entire season will improve the defense. Peter Kalambayi and Tyrell Adams will help the special teams unit as an improving group.

Cornerback (6)
  • Johnathan Joseph
  • Bradley Roby
  • Lonnie Johnson, Jr. (R)
  • Aaron Colvin
  • Johnson Bademosi
  • Briean Boddy-Calhoun
Analysis

This group has two maybe three cornerbacks they feel can help them for the season. Johnathan Joseph, Bradley Roby, and Aaron Colvin are their top three cornerbacks heading into the season. Do not be surprised if the Texans are monitoring potential players in the cornerback market that could help this group for the season.

Safety (4)
  • Justin Reid
  • Tashaun Gipson
  • Jahleel Addae
  • A.J. Moore
Analysis

The group stays the same, getting Justin Reid healthy is essential, and A.J. Moore has returned from the concussion protocol. Reid, Tashaun Gipson, and Jahleel Addae are the Texans top three safeties for gamedays.

First Five Out
  1. DT Carlos Watkins- Injuries are piling up to key position groups. Watkins has been dealing with a groin injury and missed two preseason games. The Texans could keep younger options on the practice squad or find a defensive lineman via free agency if they needed one for the season.
  2. OL Martinas Rankin- The offensive line group is taking shape and if Kelemete wants to win a spot. He is going to have to beat out Martinas Rankin.
  3. RB Taiwan Jones - If Duke Johnson can not get healthy in time, Jones will be in the discussion to be on the roster. O'Brien has shown to depend on veteran more than rookies at times.
  4. RB Karan Higdon Jr.- Much like Taiwan Jones, Higdon has an opportunity to be on the roster if Johnson is not healthy.
  5. OT Matt Kalil- We understand what O'Brien said about Matt Kalil but until he is healthy and back on the field. It is hard to depend on him for week one. Roderick Johnson is passing him by while he recovers from whatever issue is bothering him.

Back