Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2016 Week 1: The rest of the NFL

The Rams look like crap. And our OLine looks like the Cowboys Oline from the early 90's compared to the Rams

The Rams look like crap. And our OLine looks like the Cowboys Oline from the early 90's compared to the Rams

The Ram's offense reminds me of our 2002 team. No line, no weapons and a coach who had no business leading a team. The quarterback MIGHT be solid, but we'll never know at this rate.

We had a 2-14 season somewhat recently. We lost 14 games in a row. Not once did we look as pathetic as these two teams.

And Gabbert sucks. This dude cannot throw for sht.

I'm no Kaepernick fan, but he's better than Gabbert. He provides more to your team as a starter than Gabbert does.

I feel so bad for Gurley. The Rams offense is basically an NFL Europe caliber unit outside of him. Their best WR almost averages as many yards per rush as he does per catch.

Goff might be the luckiest guy on the team. He's on the sideline in street clothes far away from this abortion. If I'm the GM I either fire Fisher tomorrow or keep Goff in street clothes all season because no QB (much less a rookie) has a chance with this offense.

That Rams defense need to get a turnover in 49er territory to give that offense a shot at doing anything. Better yet, the defense needs to score if this team is going to have any chance.

This is kinda frustrating. There were so many good games over the weekend that I didn't get to watch, record-breakingly so if I heard correctly with how close games were. And then this diarrhea happens on MNF.

Case Keenum has no business playing QB in the NFL. Play calling has been pretty bad, but Keenum has no arm strength, has been inaccurate, and seems to refuse to pass the ball down the field. Passing side-to-side just won't get you the results you're looking for when the defense is already doing nothing but try to stop the run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Case Keenum has no business playing QB in the NFL. Play calling has been pretty bad, but Keenum has no arm strength, has been inaccurate, and seems to refuse to pass the ball down the field. Passing side-to-side just won't get you the results you're looking for when the defense is already doing nothing but try to stop the run.

'No business in the NFL' is a bit aggressive to me, but I don't have much to refute that statement with this game. He's been bad, there's been zero protection, his best receiver is Deangelo Hall, and the plays are coming in way too late - and are horrid calls and horrid designs. The Rams have no business in the NFL.

'No business in the NFL' is a bit aggressive to me, but I don't have much to refute that statement with this game. He's been bad, there's been zero protection, his best receiver is Deangelo Hall, and the plays are coming in way too late - and are horrid calls and horrid designs. The Rams have no business in the NFL.
Meant to say no business starting in the NFL. He's a guy that you have as a 3rd stringer only expected to come in if your first and second stringers get injured. He'll suffice in that role.

But man that throw just then. He can't even hit his man 12 yards out. Everything is a wobble. Absolutely no power on any of his throws.

So why are the Rams having such a bad day, I see Keenum has 2 picks, feel bad for the guy

Jeff Fisher.

Keenum has had maybe 3 attempts that weren't contested before he completed his drop. Every phase has been an embarassment to football, and they're only losing because Blaine Gabbart's aweful team still holds some of the old 49'ers defense.

Edit: don't let me sound like I'm defending Keenum. Saying he's been sh*t tonight is much too kind.

So why are the Rams having such a bad day, I see Keenum has 2 picks, feel bad for the guy
I've watched the entire game, and I'd say it started with horrendous play calling by Fisher and company. Then when decent plays were called to try and throw the defense off, Keenum was inaccurate and/or didn't have the arm strength to get it to his target without allowing the defense plenty of time to react. Just bad all around.

Rams looking like #1 overall candidates.

They should trade their good tenured players for draft picks, fire Fisher, hire a real coach and staff and wipe the slate clean.

But they probably have a players only meeting or something.

This is bad, bad football and I can't look away....

That's all coaching right there. Rams showed more fight during that useless scrum than they did at any other point during this game.

And Aaron Donald getting ejected was the most impact he had tonight. Dude was invisible all night until that moment.

You are getting beat 28-0 by a Blaine Gabbert led team....

Rams have piqued my intrigue.

I HAVE to see if they are capable of improving next week. I have not seen an NFL team look this bad in a long time.

If the Rams played like this against a real team we might actually need the mercy rule.

Going to lose by 1 point. Gurley is my RB. My opponent had Cousins (who didn't do much) and DeAngelo Williams. Had a 100 point lead yesterday. Lol.

Maybe they'll recover from their hard knocks hangover like we did.

For as much grief as I give O'Brien and McNair and so many of the decisions we've made in the past 10 years - the Rams have a fraction of the talent that we do. Even when it was Kubiak and a bunch of bad coordinators that he kept choosing, we at least still had Kubiak. I can hate O'Brien to infinity, but at least we still have RAC and Vrabel. The Rams have nothing.

They might sneak a game, probably against the 49'ers at home, but it wouldn't surprise me if they went 0-fer.

For as much grief as I give O'Brien and McNair and so many of the decisions we've made in the past 10 years - the Rams have a fraction of the talent that we do. Even when it was Kubiak and a bunch of bad coordinators that he kept choosing, we at least still had Kubiak. I can hate O'Brien to infinity, but at least we still have RAC and Vrabel. The Rams have nothing.

They might sneak a game, probably against the 49'ers at home, but it wouldn't surprise me if they went 0-fer.

None of the DCs worked out for Kubiak but I get where he was coming from - someone has to give you a chance. Bill Belichick was mainly a special teams guy before becoming DC. Sometimes they flop - we got the bad end of the stick. Bush even briefly looked like he might have a clue ... and then flopped.

And then there are circumstances. Fangio looked like crap here. Has gone on to a fairly heralded career since. Hell just about the whole crew in Denver went 2-14 here. Just ask steelbtexan, they're all losers. What makes the difference? Clearly it wasn't the common refrain around here that Wade had been figured out. Our team quit on a player's coach and yet same coaching crew survived great adversity to go to and win the SB.

Lots of sh!t happens in the NFL. Don't think all of it is rational/logical/best man wins. Sometimes it's chemistry or kismet.

I agree with you, and oversimplified by calling them 'bad' coaches. Smith and Bush were solid coaches with tenure and proven successes. In another world they might've been smaller parts of the 'Worth the Wait' special, but weren't really prepared for the task of building a defense from zero and 40% respectively. Something that was only learned after giving them that chance. A flaw or virtue with Kubiak, he'll give those deserving a real chance. His rookie RB fumbled on his first NFL play ... and got the next carry.

His flaw is his seeming overly passive nature regarding management. I feel that he (and Wade) got jobbed by McNair, and Kubiak doesn't see when coaches/scouts/management are a detriment because he only sees their effort. Elway fixes all of that with his aggressive nature, and not having an owner to offer a contradicting opinion nor an avenue to circumvent the chain of command that was prevalent in Houston was paramount. Part of that 'Worth the Wait' show was Elway saying 'Kubes said he went with his gut, so I supported him' ... a far cry from 'put in Keenum'.

Edit: I used too many 'K' names, my stalker is going to show up in 3, 2, 1 ...
Don't want to turn this thread into a Kubiak thread, but I feel the need to respond to this.

So you admit what his major flaw is, but this is why we all knew he just wasn't going to work in Houston. Look, Elway can say all day that he trusts Kubiak but at the end of the day, it's Elway that makes the decisions in Broncos land. Kubiak coaches the team but the team decisions are made by Elway.

Here in Houston, we have an owner that rarely meddles and a piece of crap GM. I can think of only 2 times offhand where we know the owner meddled, but it was only due to tremendous outside pressure: starting Keenum and hiring Wade. There might be a couple more examples, but he isn't Jerry Jones. Then we have Rick Smith who has never seemed to have a clue how to build a football team. If you point out to him the type of players you are looking for (like O'Brien this year with all the speed and Wade his first year with all the defensive help), then Rick Smith will do ok. But with Kubiak also being pretty terrible at knowing how to find the kinds of guys he wants to fill his scheme, it was a marriage that was doomed to fail. Either Rick Smith was going to be fired and an actual competent GM get brought in, or Gary Kubiak was going to be fired. We all know what happened.

Try your hardest to let go of your O'Brien hate. Like it or not, he's a Texan, and he's captain of this ship. He's been allowed a ton of autonomy to pick the guys he feels work best for this team. In my opinion, he's the best coach the Texans have ever had to work with Rick Smith. Here me out. I'm not saying he's the best coach this team has ever had but instead that he's the best coach for how this team operates and with the GM that we currently have. O'Brien knows what he wants, and he's going to push Rick Smith in the right directions to get what he wants. Kubiak was far too passive to ever know how to do that. And it got his ass fired.

You're right, and I need to delete the previous post and ask you to do the same to keep this thread from going sideways.

You're right, and I need to delete the previous post and ask you to do the same to keep this thread from going sideways.
I don't think you needed to do that. This thread is about the rest of the NFL and last I checked, Kubiak is no longer a Texan.

Anyway, I think your Kubiak love is crazy, but man you seem like a nice person. I can never really be mean to you, because I've rarely seen you get angry back, except for maybe at Tex. I'm no mod, but I think your post was fine.

I'm sure most of you watch Hard Knocks, and I'm literally laughing out loud at one of the first episodes when Fisher is talking about not going 7-9. He starts ranting about this not being a 7-9 or 8-8 football team and that he knows what he's doing to get them where they need to go.

But then I wonder if any of his players went and looked at his record. His 22 seasons and only 6 better than 8-8. 6 in 22 years! If I was one of his players, it'd have been really hard for me to not laugh during his speech. Imagine if it was Gurley or Donald, two superstars on a joke of an NFL team. What could Fisher do? You can't cut those guys.

But how could you not listen to Fisher and know he's the poster boy for .500 seasons. He's the best .500 coach in NFL history. It's really quite funny.

I'm sure most of you watch Hard Knocks, and I'm literally laughing out loud at one of the first episodes when Fisher is talking about not going 7-9. He starts ranting about this not being a 7-9 or 8-8 football team and that he knows what he's doing to get them where they need to go.

I didn't watch it this year because there may not be a franchise that I give fewer sh*ts about than the Rams. I think he's right though, they probably won't have to worry about going 7-9 or 8-8.

I don't have the energy to fact check, but this guy says Jeff Fisher is 9 losses away from breaking the record for most losses by a coach. He'll almost certainly win that award this year.
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_a990aebb-3033-5a3f-a8ab-cf12554a5422.html

This team is really bad, the Rams. Mannion, WHO?, yes Mannion is probably the best QB on the team. But then again, Chris freaking Weinke is the QB coach. So there's that.

All he ever said on Hard Knocks was, gotta get the kid some f****** reps. He's a f****** hard worker. That whole show was a F-Bomb contest. They made O'Brien sound like an angel. Hell, I quit watching it after the 2nd episode. And I don't care if I ever watch a down of the Rams again.

Back