Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2015 free agents

Pulling an Andre Johnson...right on. :bravo: :kitten:

Except in this case, DeMarco is still.in his prime and was the workhorse for Dallas. Andre mailed it in most of the season, and is on the decline. I don't know why Andre signing in Indy worries anyone.

Except in this case, DeMarco is still.in his prime and was the workhorse for Dallas. Andre mailed it in most of the season, and is on the decline. I don't know why Andre signing in Indy worries anyone.

He wants to stick it to us and has a QB that can aid him in that goal.

Can some of you Bird Lawyers here help me out with something?

I apologize in advance if somewhere in this forum it's been discussed, but...

If the Eagles only "agreed to terms" with Ryan Mathews does that mean the deal is not official and the Eagles can break that deal and go full on after Murray? Meaning give him all the RB money they were going to spend as opposed to just having a situation where they have DeMarco AND Mathews?

Hey I'd do it to the cowpukes too, but that's just me. I think it was a mistake on their part letting him test the waters.

Cowboys had to choose between him and Dez, it was a no-brainer to keep one of the best WRs in football over an injury-prone back. Both would have been ideal, but they made the right choice.

Cowboys have the best O-line in the game, they can plug a rookie or two back there and be fine. First round caliber RBs go in the third round of the draft these days, no reason to overpay a free agent.

Cowboys had to choose between him and Dez, it was a no-brainer to keep one of the best WRs in football over an injury-prone back. Both would have been ideal, but they made the right choice.

Cowboys have the best O-line in the game, they can plug a rookie or two back there and be fine. First round caliber RBs go in the third round of the draft these days, no reason to overpay a free agent.

This bothers me. You cant plug in any RB behind a good or great line and expect the same success. Most great RBs in history have had a great line.

This bothers me. You cant plug in any RB behind a good or great line and expect the same success. Most great RBs in history have had a great line.

I agree w/ you.

Most great RBs make their lines look awesome too. Remember how we had an incredible line during Foster's maniac years, and our O Line was incredible, then during Foster injury year in 2013 our "Pro Bowl" O Line needed a lot of work.

It's a bunch of chicken and egg stuff in my opinion, but everyone lately has determined it's without a doubt the egg.

Cowboys are gonna quickly find out, you don't plug and chug any chicken into your backfield if they lose that guy.

If the Eagles only "agreed to terms" with Ryan Mathews does that mean the deal is not official and the Eagles can break that deal and go full on after Murray? Meaning give him all the RB money they were going to spend as opposed to just having a situation where they have DeMarco AND Mathews?

Both parties can back out until signed. Bad look if Eagles do, not so bad if Mathews does it like Frank Gore did.

Am hearing that Eagles expected to be paying less for Murray/Mathews than McCoy, but can't confirm that.

I agree w/ you.

Most great RBs make their lines look awesome too. Remember how we had an incredible line during Foster's maniac years, and our O Line was incredible, then during Foster injury year in 2013 our "Pro Bowl" O Line needed a lot of work.

It's a bunch of chicken and egg stuff in my opinion, but everyone lately has determined it's without a doubt the egg.

Cowboys are gonna quickly find out, you don't plug and chug any chicken into your backfield if they lose that guy.

RBs not named Murray averaged 5.5 yards per carry behind that line last year. I think they'll be alright.

RBs not named Murray averaged 5.5 yards per carry behind that line last year. I think they'll be alright.

Literally true and yet not really. On a handful of carries on passing downs and non-crunch rushing plays Randle was 6.7 and Dunbar was 3.4.

But your average on draws on 3rd and 12 really isn't much indication of normal.

Yeh Andre mailed it in!! Give me a break. :rolleyes: you will see why we are worried.

I can't believe that there are actually people on here who think that the player owes the team anything after they have already parted ways.

The Cowboys (Texans) made a business decision with Murray (Johnson). Now the player is making a business decision for themselves.

If they think the best decision for them is to sign with the Eagles (Colts) for less money but a better opportunity to win then so be it. It's not like the Raiders (Chargers) present any better opportunity unless it is for a straight cash grab.

Can some of you Bird Lawyers here help me out with something?

I apologize in advance if somewhere in this forum it's been discussed, but...

Mathews is the one backing out, not the Eagles. And the contract hasn't been signed so nothing is official.

He is in Philly right now to sign the contract. But he's not going to make a decision until Murray does.

Philly can afford both.

I can't believe that there are actually people on here who think that the player owes the team anything after they have already parted ways.

The Cowboys (Texans) made a business decision with Murray (Johnson). Now the player is making a business decision for themselves.

If they think the best decision for them is to sign with the Eagles (Colts) for less money but a better opportunity to win then so be it. It's not like the Raiders (Chargers) present any better opportunity unless it is for a straight cash grab.

Oh I'm sure all these high-minded folks would never do that to a former employer. For example if they were engineers hired out of school by Boeing to work on space craft design they'd NEVER go to SpaceX (after learning the ropes at Boeing for 8-10 yrs) just because Elon Musk offered them a higher salary and better benefits.
Naaah... that never happens in real life.
:rolleyes:

Oh I'm sure all these high-minded folks would never do that to a former employer. For example if they were engineers hired out of school by Boeing to work on space craft design they'd NEVER go to SpaceX (after learning the ropes at Boeing for 8-10 yrs) just because Elon Musk offered them a higher salary and better benefits.
Naaah... that never happens in real life.
:rolleyes:

That's why they put non-compete clauses into their contracts.

hmmmm... I've heard of non-disclosure clauses but not non-compete. I know of quite a few aerospace weenies that switched badges over the years.

At least in my field (medical computing), it's very common to include a non-compete clause as you get higher up the food-chain. If you leave your company, you can't get hired by a competing company for a year (or whatever).

My wife's company (my wife is in the same basic field I am) hired a CIO from a competing company but because of the non-compete clause in her contract, she had to sit around for a year before she could start work.

At least in my field (medical computing), it's very common to include a non-compete clause as you get higher up the food-chain. If you leave your company, you can't get hired by a competing company for a year (or whatever).

My wife's company (my wife is in the same basic field I am) hired a CIO from a competing company but because of the non-compete clause in her contract, she had to sit around for a year before she could start work.

Non-compete clauses shouldn't be taken at face value. They commonly read as much more restrictive than can actually be enforced. They are considered just shy of void as against public policy and are frequently pruned or invalidated. Doesn't stop folks from throwing them around though. Good bluffing tool.

Non-compete clauses shouldn't be taken at face value. They commonly read as much more restrictive than can actually be enforced. They are considered just shy of void as against public policy and are frequently pruned or invalidated. Doesn't stop folks from throwing them around though. Good bluffing tool.

For most of us, the non-compete doesn't really mean anything. We can go to other, competing companies as long as we don't work on a directly competing product where our knowledge can be used to sabotage or undermine our original company.

The one time I've heard of the non-compete being invoked (besides that CIO I mentioned) was when a salesperson left one company, went to another, and then did a tour of his old clients telling them about all the things that had been hidden from them or whatever by the old company and trying to woo them to the new company. If I remember correctly, he had copied all of his e-mails before he left and he actually pulled out less-than-flattering things people had said in private about this person or that person or this meeting or what-have-you.

Like I said, for most programmers or engineers, it's not a big deal.

Mathews is the one backing out, not the Eagles. And the contract hasn't been signed so nothing is official.

He is in Philly right now to sign the contract. But he's not going to make a decision until Murray does.

Philly can afford both.

Foster/Matthews

All gimp RB tandem?

Cleveland Browns @Browns
[NEWS] Browns sign QB Thaddeus Lewis

[Read] http://bit.ly/1MuRHSk

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Ravens are giving RB Justin Forsett a three-year deal, per source.

Saints signing former Patriots CB Brandon Browner to a 3-year deal, per source.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
The #Eagles are working to trade G Evan Mathis, source said. More craziness.

Atlanta Falcons ‏@AtlantaFalcons
The Falcons have agreed to terms with DE Adrian Clayborn and CB Phillip Adams. #RiseUp

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
DeMarco Murray's deal: $40 million base over 5 years, with max of $42 million.$18 million fully guaranteed, $21 million in total guarantees.

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing
Jets have spent $127,000,000.00 on cornerbacks in the last three days.
(Rex grits teeth. Curses.)

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago
49ers announced they have released WR Stevie Johnson, re-signed QB Blaine Gabbert to two-year deal and TE Garrett Celek to one-year deal.

this was expected?

I am under a non solicit, which I believe has more teeth than a non compete.

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 3m3 minutes ago
Eagles sign RB Ryan Mathews to a three-year contract and officially sign CB Walter Thurmond to a one-year contract.

So now they have Murray and Mathews

So now they have Murray and Mathews

They also have Darren Sproles & Chris Polk in their backfield. The Eagles probably already had a contract in place with Ryan Mathews before they found out Murray wanted to sign there. Signing both doesn't make much sense.

They also have Darren Sproles & Chris Polk in their backfield. The Eagles probably already had a contract in place with Ryan Mathews before they found out Murray wanted to sign there. Signing both doesn't make much sense.

Given Mathews' injury history and Murray's recent workload, kinda does.

Given Mathews' injury history and Murray's recent workload, kinda does.

They still have Sproles & Polk. After signing Murray I don't think they should have spent another 11 million to sign a backup RB. That's 54 million they just used to sign one position. Signing one of them and then drafting a backup RB in the 3rd or 4th round seems much more logical.

They still have Sproles & Polk. After signing Murray I don't think they should have spent another 11 million to sign a backup RB. That's 54 million they just used to sign one position. Signing one of them and then drafting a backup RB in the 3rd or 4th round seems much more logical.

Nothing Kelly has done this offseason has been logical.

I don't think Kelly is looking at Mathews as a backup RB. If I were to guess, he was planning on signing Mathews when then all of a sudden Murray popped up and he figured he could swing it to have a 1a & 1b RB combo that'll be fresh late in the year for a hopeful playoff push. Sproles will be a return man and slot/motion option while Polk will likely be cut taking 1.5M off the books with no dead money to show for it.

I'm not saying it's textbook roster development, but Chip likes to find different angles and when one presented itself he jumped, and really there's no reason to think it can't pay off.

I'd be surprised if he uses them as a traditional 1 & 2.

I remeber dreaming of all the special things we could do with Foster & Tate in the backfield at the same time. What kind of personnel group do you counter that with? & we had OD & AJ in their prime... ah, what could have been.

But Kubiak wouldn't go there. Kelly may be just crazy enough to pull it off, especially with their tempo game.

Nothing Kelly has done this offseason has been logical.

I'd disagree. He's significantly improved the talent level at several positions and the only place they are worse off is at WR.

If Bradford gets injured (highly possible) then I could understand all the hate that Chip is getting. But he's set this team up to be better next year than they were before.

I'd disagree. He's significantly improved the talent level at several positions and the only place they are worse off is at WR.

If Bradford gets injured (highly possible) then I could understand all the hate that Chip is getting. But he's set this team up to be better next year than they were before.

And he now has lots of ammo to move up in the draft if inclined to do so... Murray and a 1st to move into top 5?

I agree. Phillyfan was losing it there yesterday but I bet they're coming around.

Chip is interesting as heck to watch.

And he now has lots of ammo to move up in the draft if inclined to do so... Murray and a 1st to move into top 5?

Unless Murray just signed a zero guaranteed deal, that's not going to happen.

If Mariota is what he's going after, then it'll be Sam Bradford, plus the Eagle's first, 2nd, & 3rd round picks. & since their fifth & next year's second is tied up in Bradford, they're really giving up their first four picks & next year's second.

Orakpo has signed with the Titans, secretly making them a sincere promise that he won't end up on IR again...........unless he gets injured.................:tiphat:

Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero
Mike Wallace texted teammates saying he'd been on phone with Minny GM Rick Spielman, HC Mike Zimmer, & he was likely headed to Vikes.
Teddy gets to deal with Wallace, now.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
The #Bills will pay WR Percy Harvin roughly $6M on a one-year contract, source says

Broncos signing G Shelley Smith to a 2 yr, $5.65 million deal, per source.
Former Texans draft pick getting back with Kubiak.

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
And Christian Ponder's visit with the Raiders will result in a signing, as @caplannfl said.

Schaub will be cut.

DeAngelo Williams ‏@DeAngeloRB
Excited about signing with the @Steelers! Trust me when I say that I've got a LOT of gas left in the tank....

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
Many sources have said if Payton isn't convinced a player is part of the solution he could be gone. Lewis signed big contract w/NO in 2013

Lewis took to social media recently to voice his disapproval of the Saints drastic reshaping this offseason. Sean Payton is on the warpath..

Saints aren't done making deals. Actively shopping disgruntled CB Keenan Lewis, asking teams not to divulge their inquiries ...

Last edited:
Back