Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2012 Texans Talk Mock Draft

With our 5th round pick the Houston Texans have selected:

Jerry Franklin – ILB, Arkansas

ARK-TEXAS-02.jpg

Franklin has a good build and good instincts for a 34 ILB. Four year starter in the SEC and a team captain. He has made 100 tackles two years in a row and has never had less than 80 in a season. Makes plays in the backfield (23 TFL just in the last two years). Had 6.5 sacks his junior year but getting after the QB is not his strong point.

He is very good at getting through traffic in the middle and making plays in the run game. He is not the greatest athlete and is not the greatest tackler in space, but he will do his job in the middle. He doesn't bring the pain but when he wraps up the ball carrier goes down.

Don't man him up on anybody, but Franklin has above average zone coverage ability for an ILB. He has sharp instincts and good feet, which help shield his below average athleticism. Not an explosive player but he does his job well. He won't make flashy plays but he will produce. This guy finds the football.

He is a guy who can contribute immediately behind Sharpton and give quality effort. He is a smart player who recognizes what is happening around him on the field. The kind of guy you can put on the field in any situation and feel confident that he will do his job. He will never be Ray Lewis, but he will stick around for a long time. This kid can play football.

I had Jerry Franklin in several of my Texans mock drafts in the 4th round and think that he's a very good pick and very good value in the 5th round. Good job, Good pick.

With pick #155 the New Orleans Saints select Akiem Hicks DT Regina 6'-5" 318lbs.

Great Value pick

Hicks will fit in as a rotatioal DT in the 4-3 almost perfectly.

He has the ability to be one of the best DT's in this draft, after he gains some experience.

With the 156th pick the Green Bay Packers take with their 5th round selection...
OG-OC from Wake Forest Joe Looney.

Upside:

• Nice initial quickness and athletic ability for his size
• Strong hands and upper body
• Can lean and wall off
• Functional short puller — is effective eliminating linebackers
• Very tough, vocal leader
• Outstanding personal and football character
• Very versatile

1st Round OLB Andre Branch Clemson
2nd Round RB Doug Martin Boise State
3rd Round DE Chandler Jones Syracuse
4th Round CB Shaun Prater Iowa
5th Round 0G-0C Joe Looney Wake Forest

5.157) Baltimore Ravens - WolverineFan -

5.158) San Francisco 49ers - Rey -

5.159) Cincinnati Bengals - Kaiser Toro -

5.160) New York Giants - KMG 365 -

With the 157th pick in the draft the Baltimore Ravens select...

Robert Turbin - RB, Utah State

5968.jpg

Turbin is a steal at this point, IMO. I have him rated as a mid-round prospect but I had no idea he would fall this far. A lot of RB's have fallen in this draft it seems. Turbin is a solidly built RB with great speed and vision. He's a good one-cut runner who fits into the Ravens hybrid zone system. He's also a great fit in the Ravens offense. He can help out on the goal line, but also in any situation if need be.

Baltimore really needs a second option behind Ray Rice with the retirement of Ricky Williams. Anthony Allen and Damien Berry are both young guys with potential, but neither one is ready to step up and carry the load behind Rice. Turbin will probably need some work before he becomes a true #1 option at the next level, but I think he has the ability to be an immediate contributor off the bench which makes him a good fit for the Ravens current situation.

Also, Ray Rice was a RFA this offseason and while Baltimore put the franchise tag on him, they have yet to reach a long term deal. I expect one at some point, but you must always plan ahead. Turbin gives Baltimore a solid option behind Rice just like Williams did the past few years.

Ravens Draft:
1 - Peter Konz - C Wisconsin
2 - Ronnell Lewis - OLB, Oklahoma
3 - Derek Wolfe - DE, Cincinnati
5 - Robert Turbin - RB, Utah State

With the 158th pick in the draft the 49'ers select

nix_display_image.jpg

OG, Lucas Nix

Draft so far:

1) Stephen Hill, WR
2) Brandon Boykin, CB
3) Isiah Pead, RB
4) Tyrone Crawford, DE
5) Lucas Nix, OG

Last edited:
I know the time clock has stopped for the night but did Kaiser Toro know that he was on the clock? From 3 pm - 9 pm we got no picks made.

Sorry fellas, one of those days yesterday.

The Cincinnati Bengals select Chris Rainey, RB/WR/ST, Florida

crainey.jpg

1st - Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin, OG
1st - Dont'a Hightower, Alabama, LB
2nd - David Wilson, Virginia Tech, RB
3rd - Leonard Johnson, Iowa State, CB
4th - Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma, WR
5th - Kheeston Randall, Texas, DT/DE
5th - Chris Rainey, Florida, RB/WR/ST

Good pick. I almost though I could get him with my 6th. No dice.

I was hoping he'd fall to me in the sixth round too...

I almost took him with my 5th round pick right before KT, but I decided to go with some O-line help instead...

With the 160th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Super Bowl Champion New York Giants select...

Tom Compton, OT, South Dakota

I have Compton penciled in at right tackle. Could also push him inside at guard.

Giants picks so far:

1/32 Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
2/64 Mychal Kendricks, LB, California
3/96 Cliff Harris, CB, Oregon
4/128 Michael Brewster, C, Ohio State
5/160 Tom Compton, OT, South Dakota

While I would like to finish this mock. I think it would be better to start up a post FA mock. The needs of many teams have changed after FA.

I think we have time to complete an entire mock with a 6 hr clock.

While I would like to finish this mock. I think it would be better to start up a post FA mock. The needs of many teams have changed after FA.

I think we have time to complete an entire mock with a 6 hr clock.

NOOOO that means Mr. Irrelevant truely is irrelevant. lol

NOOOO that means Mr. Irrelevant truely is irrelevant. lol

True: LOL

The bengals had a great draft as well as the Browns.

Of course they had multiple picks.

Everybody keeps the same teams?

Maybe somebody new will take the Panthers. If not I will take them, in addition to the Cowboys.

Jaguars

1. Quinton Coples DE
2. Alfonzo Denard CB
3. Chris Givens WR
4. Antonio Allen S
5. Michael Egnew TE

I was looking to select Olivier Vernon DE from Miami if he was still there for me in the 6th.

Kansas City

1. David Decastro, OG, Stanford
2. Zebrie Sanders, OT, FSU ... if I had a redo since they signed Winston ... Jared Crick .
3. Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington
4. Joe Adams, WR, Arkansas
5. James-Michael Johnson, LB, Nevada

Why Crick ... cause Dorsey and Jackson are both high 1st round picks and I'm not paying them that much again .

Kansas City

2. Zebrie Sanders, OT, FSU ... if I had a redo since they signed Winston ...

Very Solid

When does the new mock start?

1.Janoris Jenkins
2. Brandon Brooks
3. Josh Chapman
4. Jamell Fleming
5. Rishard Matthews

Lions

1.) Cordy Glenn, OL, Georgia (Dude is a beast and will destroy whoever is in his way.)
2.) Josh Robinson, CB, Central Florida (Fastest 40 at the combine.)
3.) Bobby Wagner, LB, Utah State (A mans linebacker. 4 year starter.)
4.) Nick Foles, QB, Arizona (Prototypical QB. Could be great.)
5.) Janzen Jackson, S, McNeese State (All world talent. Starter as a frosh.)

Broncos
Round 1: Devon Still, DT, Penn State
Round 2: Lamar Miller, RB, Miami
Round 3: Billy Winn, DE, Boise State
Round 4: Nigel Bradham, OLB, Florida State
Round 5: Ryan Steed, CB, Furman
Round 5: Demario Davis, OLB, Arkansas Stat

Browns Draft so far:
1.4 Justin Blackmon WR
1.22 Mike Adams OT
2.37 Whitney Mercilus DE
3.68 Brandon Weeden QB
4.101 Lamichael James RB
4.119 Travis Lewis LB
5.132 Asa Jackson CB

For the 6th and 7th I would have taken Dajohn Harris, DT USC and Eric Page, WR Toledo. Dajohn probably shouldn't be on the board this late, but he would be excellent depth behind Phil Taylor and A Rubin. Eric Page is the kind of guy I want in the slot. Small speedy guy with great hands who can do a lot of great things. He would also become the second kick returner next to Cribbs and a backup punt returner in case Cribbs gets hurt (likely). If we were doing comp picks, I would have taken Cyrus Grey somewhere in the 6th as well. The Browns have two 6ths and two 7ths as comp picks this year. Would grab the punter from Rice with a comp 7th.

Now that the draft is concluded here is what I would have done.

DoppleColts
1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
2. Kelechi Osemele, OG/OT Iowa Stat
3. Philip Blake, C/G, Baylor
4. Juron Criner, WR, Arizona
5. Nick Jean-Baptiste, DT/NT, Baylor

In the grand tradition of O.J. Simpson, If I did it, here's how it would have happened.

With the 6th pick I would have grabbed Super Sleeper ILB J.K. Schaffer, ILB, Cincinnati. He is a very good under the radar ILB that needs a little grooming. Give him a little time and he can be a force at the ILB spot. He is someone I think the Texans should consider later in the draft.

With the 7th pick, I was looking at Brett Roy, DE, Nevada. He is also a sleeper 3-4 DE who could be groomed into a starting role.

Cool idea. I will do a Cherry Pick of Walter compared to what I did.

Dop 1 original pick:Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
Walt 1:Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
Dop 1 cherry pick: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

This one was a wash. Without a trade down available, I still take Luck in this spot.

Dop 2 original pick:Kelechi Osemele, OG/OT Iowa State
Walt 2: Rueben Randle, WR, LSU
Dop 2 cherry pick: Kendall Reyes, DE/DT, Connecticut

While I like Osemele's versatility, I LOVE getting Reyes here. He would slide into a starting 3-4 DE slot right away and create havoc. Randle is a nice player, but isn't a potential stud like Reyes.

Dop 3 original pick:Philip Blake, C/G, Baylor
Walt 3:Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington
Dop 3 cherry pick: Brandon Washington, G/OT, Miami

I like the versatility Blake brings, but I would much rather get Washington in this situation. I think Ta'amu is vastly overrated as a prospect.

Dop 4 original pick:Juron Criner, WR, Arizona
Walt 4: Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina
Dop 4 cherry pick: Philip Blake, C/G, Baylor

Getting Blake is huge for me in this situation. Criner was off the board in the 2nd and unavailable. Blake gives me a very versatile interior OL to compliment Washington.

Dop 5 original pick:Nick Jean-Baptiste, DT/NT, Baylor
Walt 5: Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri
Dop 5 cherry pick: Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia

I like NJB, but I LOVE getting super value in Bruce Irvin in the 5th. An explosive 3-4 OLB to rotate with Mathis and Freeney would be fantastic value. I hate the Egnew pick. He was very inconsistent this past year. Granted he did not have Gabbert, but that should only explain his numbers. His inconsistency came from dropping easy passes and not always running routes as crsiply as possible. That's on him, not the QB.

So here are the mocks

DoppleColts
2. Kelechi Osemele, OG/OT Iowa Stat
3. Philip Blake, C/G, Baylor
4. Juron Criner, WR, Arizona
5. Nick Jean-Baptiste, DT/NT, Baylor

Walter
2. Rueben Randle, WR, LSU
3. Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington
4. Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina
5. Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri

Doppleganger Cherry Pick
2. Kendall Reyes, DE/DT, Connecticut
3. Brandon Washington, G/OT, Miami
4. Philip Blake, C/G, Baylor
5. Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia

Chargers draft:
1. Michael Brockers, DT, Louisiana State
2. Alshon Jeffrey, WR, South Carolina
3. SHEA MCCLELLIN OLB, Boise State
4. Ladarius Green TE UL Lafayette
5. David Molk C Michigan

I'm busy with work until this afternoon. This is a great Idea.

Start by comparing yours.

OK
Mine Chiefs

2. Zebrie Sanders, OT, FSU ... if I had a redo since they signed Winston ... Jared Crick .

Walter Chiefs

2. Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers
3. Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama
4. George Iloka, S, Boise State
5. Bruce Irvin, DE/OLB, West Virginia

Walter Texans

1. Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC
2. Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State
3. Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama
4. Ladarius Green, TE, Louisiana-Lafayette
4. Tony Bergstrom OL Utah
5.James-Michael Johnson, ILB, Nevada

DraftTek Texans

http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1.asp

1. Melvin Ingram OLB South Carolina
2. Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers
3. Michael Egnew TE Missouri
4.George Iloka SS Boise State
4. Derek Wolfe DE Cincinnati
5. Josh Chapman NT Alabama
6. Brian Quick WR Appalachian State
7. write in A&M K

Last edited:
I'm cool with bringing this to a close. And I'm ready to take on another one so just set up the parameters and I'll be in.

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES MOCK:

1 - Luke Kuechly MLB Boston College
2a - Harrison Smith S Notre Dame
2b - Brock Osweiler QB Arizona State
3 - Keenan Robinson OLB Texas
4a - Brandon Mosley OT Auburn
4b - Brian Quick WR Appalachian State
5 - DeQuan Menzie CB Alabama

I only feel like I reached on Osweiler. Also, I would have had a different draft strategy after the DeMeco trade. Other than that I feel like I had a solid draft. I would love any of these players to be Texans.(maybe not Osweiler)

My mock draft steal was Brian Quick at the end of the 4th round.

If you guys need someone to take Carolina I wouldn't mind joining in for the next one if that's okay.

I'm fine with ending this mock. NCTexan will take the Carolina Panthers. Welcome to the mock, it's a good group of guys.

When do we start the new mock? I would suggest we all keep our current teams since we already know those teams well. Why don't we start Monday morning at 7 am, and can we include weekends as well? It's a waste of time to stop on weekends if we want this mock to move along.

Atlanta Falcons:

1. No pick.
2. Brandon Washington-OT/OG
3. Jake Bequette-DE
4. No pick.
5. Dwight Jones-WR

I'm happy with the Falcons picks but it's sure hard to fill needs when you don't have a pick in the 1st or 4th round, and their were lots of good players left on the board in the 4th round.

I thoroughly enjoyed this mock and had a great time with it. That said, I am going to resign as the GM of the DoppelColts and allow another person the opportunity.

I'm fine with ending this mock. NCTexan will take the Carolina Panthers. Welcome to the mock, it's a good group of guys.

Thanks! This will be my first real mock draft, but I've been following prospects pretty closely this year. Plus, I was having a lot of fun just reading this thread and so it looks like a perfect opportunity to try it out.

These are the guys the Buffalo Bills selected:

1.) Courtney Upshaw, OLB

2.) Lavonte David, ILB

3.) Jeff Allen, OG/OT

4.) Jeff Fuller, WR

4.) Omar Bolden, CB

5.) AJ Jenkins, WR

5.) Jaye Howard, DT

When do we start the new mock? I would suggest we all keep our current teams since we already know those teams well. Why don't we start Monday morning at 7 am, and can we include weekends as well? It's a waste of time to stop on weekends if we want this mock to move along.

Atlanta Falcons:

1. No pick.
2. Brandon Washington-OT/OG
3. Jake Bequette-DE
4. No pick.
5. Dwight Jones-WR

I'm happy with the Falcons picks but it's sure hard to fill needs when you don't have a pick in the 1st or 4th round, and their were lots of good players left on the board in the 4th round.

This was a good draft considering the lack of picks,

Washington will be an instant starter. Bequette is a pass rusher that's badly needed. If Jones gets it he could be a late 1st/early 2nd rd talent.

This was a good draft considering the lack of picks,

Washington will be an instant starter. Bequette is a pass rusher that's badly needed. If Jones gets it he could be a late 1st/early 2nd rd talent.

Thanks, it's hard to fill team needs when you don't have a 1st and 4th round pick and frustrating to do so in a draft as deep as this one.

Jets Draft:

Texanstalk.com mock:
1.) Trent Richardson, RB
2.) Vince Curry, OLB
3.) Markelle Martin, S
4.) Audie Cole, ILB
5.) Brandon Hardin, S

Walterfootball actual:
1.) Courtenay Upshaw, OLB
2.) Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
3.) Juron Criner, WR, Arizona
4.) Traded to Broncos
5.) Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State

Walter Cherrypick:
1.) Courtenay Upshaw, OLB
2.) Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
3.) Markelle Martin, S
4.) Traded to Broncos
5.) Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M

I prefer my draft to either Walter drafts.

If we go another draft, I wouldn't mind taking a different team. I tend to focus mostly on players at positions of need for that team so if I take a different team I will get a chance to be exposed to a different set of players.

Tennessee Titan draft

1) Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama
2) Jared Crick DE Nebraska
3) Ben Jones C Georgia
4) Chris Polk RB Washington
5) Trenton Robinson FS Michigan State

LZ @ thesidelineview.com had this article this week as TN needs...

Tennessee Titans

Cornerback
Defensive End
Guard/Center
Safety

Just like every other team in the division, CB is near the top of the list of needs for the Titans. *The Titans have some young bodies at the CB position, but the loss of Courtland Finnegan means that depth is major concern.

Getting the running game going is key and the Titans added veteran guard Steve Hutchinson to help; however, Hutchinson is a band-aid for a problem requires draft picks on the interior line. *The Titans pass rush is a mess and they must take a DE fairly early. *Tennessee can look for safety help later in the draft.

I like where I ended up from a talent/need level.

Kirkpatrick was no surprise in the 1st.

Thought I had what might be considered a minor reach in Crick, but I am sold on him and think he will be a real player.

I like Jones almost as much as Konz at Center.

Polk was too good to pass up in the 4th.

Robinson would have a chance to start as a 5th rounder.

I would have looked at Wylie or the Coog Edwards at WR in the 6th.

When are we planning on starting this?

I have too much stuff on my plate, I cant commit to another one. The Dolphins are open to whoever wants them.

Back