Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2011 NFL Draft: Round 1, Texans with 11th pick /Thread (**JJ Watt DE**)

Does anyone work the draft better than the Pats?

NE gets 2nd round this year and 1st rd next year for 28th pick

Despite his off field exploits he was the best press corner in awhile

Its amazing that testing positive for marijuana while in Colorado is enough to count as significant off field issues? Is there more?

The way people describe his talent, he'd have been perfect

Its amazing that testing positive for marijuana while in Colorado is enough to count as significant off field issues? Is there more?

Red flags on Jimmy Smith: as many as three failed drug tests, admitted to abusing codeine, pair of underage drinking offenses, assault arrest, etc

Definitely not a Bob McNair type ;)

He failed 4 drug tests at Colorado and was arrested twice.

Some day, in a future draft, the Pats will own 30 of 32 picks in the first round the way they trade. Believe it.

Complete first round:

1. Carolina Panthers - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
2. Denver Broncos - Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
3. Buffalo Bills - Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
4. Cincinnati Bengals - A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
5. Arizona Cardinals - Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
6. Atlanta Falcons - Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
7. San Francisco 49ers - Aldon Smith, OLB, Missouri
8. Tennessee Titans - Jake Locker, QB, Washington
9. Dallas Cowboys - Tyron Smith, OT, USC
10. Jacksonville Jaguars - Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
11. Houston Texans - J.J Watt, DE, Wisconsin
12. Minnesota Vikings - Christian Ponder, QB, Florida St.
13. Detroit Lions - Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
14. St Louis Rams - Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
15. Miami Dolphins - Mike Pouncey, OC, Florida
16. Washington Redskins - Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
17. New England - Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
18. San Diego Chargers - Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
19. New York Giants - Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
21. Cleveland Browns - Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
22. Indianapolis Colts - Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
23. Philadelphia Eagles - Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor
24. New Orleans Saints - Cameron Jordan, DE, California
25. Seattle Seahawks - James Carpenter, OG, Alabama
26. Kansas City Chiefs - Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
27. Baltimore Ravens - Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
28. New Orleans Saints - Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
29. Chicago Bears - Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
30. New York Jets - Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple
31. Pittsburgh Steelers - Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
32. Green Bay Packers - Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State

Smith in Ravens defense.... Sick

I know, right?

Suggs and Lewis will shape him up in no time. I believe it.

That's seriously THE only team a guy like Smith could have landed with and it end up with him playing and not being out of the league before the season even began. IMO.

I know, right?

Suggs and Lewis will shape him up in no time. I believe it.

That's seriously THE only team a guy like Smith could have landed with and it end up with him playing and not being out of the league before the season even began. IMO.

Them or the Patriots. Smith could end up being the steal of the draft here.

Word on the street is that the Patriots actually plan to use that pick.

Probably on Reed.

Could be Reed possibly Ayers and even Houston. Patriots have never been scared to pick a falling player. They took the Gronkowski (TE Arizona no idea how to spell it) last year and i believe he failed a drug test as well and look how good he was last year. They took Brandon Merriweather who had some character concerns and he has been solid.Patriots know how to draft and there is a reason why they are as good as they are

Could be Reed possibly Ayers and even Houston. Patriots have never been scared to pick a falling player. They took the Gronkowski (TE Arizona no idea how to spell it) last year and i believe he failed a drug test as well and look how good he was last year. They took Brandon Merriweather who had some character concerns and he has been solid.Patriots know how to draft and there is a reason why they are as good as they are

With all the draft picks they got, they can afford to take chances IMO.

Complete first round:

1. Carolina Panthers - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
2. Denver Broncos - Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
3. Buffalo Bills - Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
4. Cincinnati Bengals - A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
5. Arizona Cardinals - Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
6. Atlanta Falcons - Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
7. San Francisco 49ers - Aldon Smith, OLB, Missouri
8. Tennessee Titans - Jake Locker, QB, Washington
9. Dallas Cowboys - Tyron Smith, OT, USC
10. Jacksonville Jaguars - Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
11. Houston Texans - J.J Watt, DE, Wisconsin
12. Minnesota Vikings - Christian Ponder, QB, Florida St.
13. Detroit Lions - Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
14. St Louis Rams - Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
15. Miami Dolphins - Mike Pouncey, OC, Florida
16. Washington Redskins - Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
17. New England - Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
18. San Diego Chargers - Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
19. New York Giants - Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
21. Cleveland Browns - Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
22. Indianapolis Colts - Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
23. Philadelphia Eagles - Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor
24. New Orleans Saints - Cameron Jordan, DE, California
25. Seattle Seahawks - James Carpenter, OG, Alabama
26. Kansas City Chiefs - Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
27. Baltimore Ravens - Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
28. New Orleans Saints - Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
29. Chicago Bears - Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
30. New York Jets - Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple
31. Pittsburgh Steelers - Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
32. Green Bay Packers - Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State

The bold players are players that I think were reaches or didn't fit the scheme that the team is running. The run on quarterbacks, IMO, was primarily because teams were scared of "loosing there guys", otherwise, the draft worked out fairly well.

As for JJ Watt, I have mixed feelings. We need guys to play the DE position in our 3-4 since we don't have anyone outside of Mario Williams and Antonio Smith, however, I felt that an ILB or rush OLB was sorely needed.

McClain on 610 this morning:

Felt bad for them. They wanted Aldon Smith. Thought he could be great pass rusher. ... They were just poorly coached in secondary, not as bad as they showed. They'll draft OLB, CB or CB, OLB. Would like to see Brooks Reed, dont know if he will be there. If they go CB, maybe Ras-I Dowling, maybe get Dontay Moch in 3rd round then.

How many more defensive picks?

I'm guessing out of the 8, 5-3 or 6-2. If they play under rules of last year, they wont need WR or T or QB with Butler, Jones, and Leinart coming back. Only way they dont play under those rules is if they reach CBA. I think they'll play under those rules. Draft as you always would. Still got FA. I know they'll get a vet CB even if they get a CB in 2nd round. Need more depth at LB. Need safeties. Terrible year for safeties. Too much to ask for Aaron Williams to drop to them. Expecting him to go early. Feel terrible for Andy Dalton.

No date for FA. What about undrafted FAs?

Cant sign anyone. Players can work out today. Team meetings Monday, then start OTAs. One problem: Owners could get stay this afternoon and its shutdown again.

They must have info. Why would they say they're opening the doors?

They have to. League told them. They dont know anything coming from the appellate court.

Surprised 4 QBs in Top 12. 2 new in the AFCS.

Everyone would say you are reaching on Locker at 8. If you trade down, Washington or Minnesota could've gotten him. Ponder at 12 a shocker and reach. Those guys were seen as 3rd round picks at the combine. ... NO had great first round. Seattle taking Carpenter, they take 2 tackles in back to back years with so many other needs.

Cincy 3rd in the 2nd round. Maybe Dalton or Mallet. Thoughts?

Would much rather go to AZ than Cincy. Would love to see the Texans get Brooks Reed or Aaron Williams. Bringing in 6'4 260 lb Brooks Reed with long blonde hair like Clay Matthews and jumps around like Matthews, wouldnt be a bad pick.

The bold players are players that I think were reaches or didn't fit the scheme that the team is running. The run on quarterbacks, IMO, was primarily because teams were scared of "loosing there guys", otherwise, the draft worked out fairly well.

As for JJ Watt, I have mixed feelings. We need guys to play the DE position in our 3-4 since we don't have anyone outside of Mario Williams and Antonio Smith, however, I felt that an ILB or rush OLB was sorely needed.

Nick Fairley a reach? Him and Suh are going to dominate for years to come. Suh will keep him in line.

Nick Fairley a reach? Him and Suh are going to dominate for years to come. Suh will keep him in line.

Detroit is a good place for Fairly. Suh and the HC there dont mess around. Also, in my opinion, Fairly is a much better 4-3 DT than 3-4 NT or DE.

Detroit is a good place for Fairly. Suh and the HC there dont mess around. Also, in my opinion, Fairly is a much better 4-3 DT than 3-4 NT or DE.
Agreed. This is a GREAT spot for Fairely to succeed. He won't be the main focus and Suh will draw most of the double teams. If he were smart he'd have a good head on his shoulders by thinking "we could potentially be the best DT tandem in the league". I think Fairley has extremely high bust potential on most other teams, with Suh he should be focused and have the benefit of playing next to the best DT in the league.

Agreed. This is a GREAT spot for Fairely to succeed. He won't be the main focus and Suh will draw most of the double teams. If he were smart he'd have a good head on his shoulders by thinking "we could potentially be the best DT tandem in the league". I think Fairley has extremely high bust potential on most other teams, with Suh he should be focused and have the benefit of playing next to the best DT in the league.

There is not another team he fits better IMO. DROY???? My early favorite. You know that one scene in The Wizard Of Oz... when the flying monkeys pull apart the scarecrow? That's what the interior linemen in that division feel like right now.

I am glad we didn't trade up and get the CB.

This was the better pick, IMO. We need more muscle up front. I'm not thrilled with anybody up front, except Mario, and this guy feels like a Mario-type of player...the size, the speed, hands, strength, etc.

Adding another rookie CB is just not what we needed. Not at the 11 spot in this year's draft. BTW, I like what Detroit is doing. They are signaling that they are building the trenches of their defense. Very very smart move--Adding guys who bring a measure of toughness to a team that has been historically weak...in all phases. This sets a tone for the remainder of the roster. I think the Texans should do the same thing, and I think JJ Watt is a good start.

I am glad we didn't trade up and get the CB.

This was the better pick, IMO. We need more muscle up front. I'm not thrilled with anybody up front, except Mario, and this guy feels like a Mario-type of player...the size, the speed, hands, strength, etc.

I think we are setting ourselves up for a heart break. Remember when Mario was a rookie & we counted the games before he got a sack? While I believe Mario is a fine pass rusher, & really an over achiever as far as that goes, I don't believe that he is a natural pass rusher.

Remember there were questions about Mario, because his senior year he got the majority of his sacks over a span of a few weeks at the end of the season?

While I do not doubt that he can rush the passer, I think he would make a bigger impact if he was let go, & allowed to create havoc.

Watt seems to be the same kind of player. I think some people may be too hard on him, & call him a bust if he isn't getting double digit sacks a year.

Mario, if he is allowed to play his game & not focus on sacks, I think would end up with double digit sacks anyway, because he is that type of athlete.

I hope Wade is drawing up all kinds of stuff now, to allow these two to do what they do & wreck havoc on the backfield.

I think we are setting ourselves up for a heart break. Remember when Mario was a rookie & we counted the games before he got a sack? While I believe Mario is a fine pass rusher, & really an over achiever as far as that goes, I don't believe that he is a natural pass rusher.

Remember there were questions about Mario, because his senior year he got the majority of his sacks over a span of a few weeks at the end of the season?

While I do not doubt that he can rush the passer, I think he would make a bigger impact if he was let go, & allowed to create havoc.

Watt seems to be the same kind of player. I think some people may be too hard on him, & call him a bust if he isn't getting double digit sacks a year.

Mario, if he is allowed to play his game & not focus on sacks, I think would end up with double digit sacks anyway, because he is that type of athlete.

I hope Wade is drawing up all kinds of stuff now, to allow these two to do what they do & wreck havoc on the backfield.

I hope that everyone would understand that getting sacks is not going to be Watt's job in a 3-4. Thats going to be Barwin's and Brooks Reed's job as OLB's

I think Watt is the same type of athlete as Mario, but I disagree that they are the same type of player...

Mario seems to be a lot more nonchalant as a player than Watt. Watt has the lunch pail attitude to go with his talent. Honestly, I think Mario will have to step his game up because if he doesn't Watt will outshine him.

But as to your point of people getting down on Watt if he doesn't produce sacks...I doubt that...That won't be his job with us, but even with that said, I think he'll get a couple sacks...

Back