Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texan1

Waterboy
Well, 2006 and 1-4.

Is it too early to start analyzing which long term project defensive lineman the Texans will select in the 1st round of the 2007 draft, over other players who would actually make an immediate impact to the team?

I would have never been able to guess Babin, Johnson, Williams - so your guess is as good as mine. DL projects 4 years in a row baby!

LOL, They cant pass on Adrian Peterson could they???

Williams looks better each week. Id like to see Peek on the other end or them two next to one another on the line.

LOL, They cant pass on Adrian Peterson could they???

]

I think it just depends on where we are in the draft. But no matter who we have back there they won't produce without someone to block for them. I think we might be picking too late this year to get Peterson and will look for a LB or DB to fill one of our many needs.

Its early but there always seams to be a second choice that surfaces in the Senior bowl if we do pick late.I just feel this team would really have to turn the corner to not be in position to draft a star feature back early.Look what Portis did for Denver and where they are now!

I realize Kub is a new head coach and i'm going to support him as long as I feel he's improving the team.I also feel he will make mistakes and learn his lesson by making mistakes.I'm not mad at all about the way the teram is headed because I feel its going in the right direction so far.

Its early but there always seams to be a second choice that surfaces in the Senior bowl if we do pick late.I just feel this team would really have to turn the corner to not be in position to draft a star feature back early.Look what Portis did for Denver and where they are now!

I realize Kub is a new head coach and i'm going to support him as long as I feel he's improving the team.I also feel he will make mistakes and learn his lesson by making mistakes.I'm not mad at all about the way the teram is headed because I feel its going in the right direction so far.

Portis was taken in the 2nd round, and we passed on him twice.

LOL, They cant pass on Adrian Peterson could they??

two words .... edgerrin james. he's one of the most talented and complete backs in football. and he sucks. entirely useless in arizona because of an offensive line that might or might not be worse than ours. we can draft runningbacks like detroit drafts wide receivers (how's their passing game over the last 3 years?), but it doesnt matter if they're not given any chance to succeed. it's unlikely that we'll landy barry sanders, so lets draft a ton of linemen like denver & pittsburgh and try to create runningbacks.

So are you saying passing Portis was smart?It took them what?3, 4 yrs to replace him..Every team needs a homerun threat in the backfield..I prefer 2 explosive backs going into a season plus a pounder.There is no question we can get a runner to the second level.Gado I just haven't seen enough of but then the offense osn't getting him the ball fast enough either to study him.Its just in every game I see of the Texans there backfield looks slow and unelusive enough to excite me..

Peterson is out for the season with a broken collarbone, he could very well slip out of the top 10, just look what happened three years ago to Willis McGahee. A sure fire top 5 pick before he tore his acl & then went #23 to Buffalo. The Texans have got to fix the offensive line once and for all & take a franchise LT (if there is one this year that warrents that high of a pick?).

Peterson is out for the season with a broken collarbone, he could very well slip out of the top 10, just look what happened three years ago to Willis McGahee. A sure fire top 5 pick before he tore his acl & then went #23 to Buffalo. The Texans have got to fix the offensive line once and for all & take a franchise LT (if there is one this year that warrents that high of a pick?).

Peterson's injury is not even close to McGahee's. McGahee's was pretty severe, even for an ACL, and it happened at the end of the season. No way he slips as far as McGahee did.

Its just in every game I see of the Texans there backfield looks slow and unelusive enough to excite me..

As Scooter and beerlover point out, the problem on offense is the line. Our backs look slow and unelusive because they keep looking for a hole, but too often there isn't one to find.

If Spencer recovers from that broken tibia, we have our franchise LT. We need a RT and a C more.

I don't think it is too late to start thinking of a top 10, possibly top 5 pick for the Texans. This team looks that bad!!! AP would be nice, but we already have an injury prone back. This team needs a lot. I think of the 1-15 cowboys before they won all the Super Bowls in the 90's. I hope we can do the same. HOPE!!!

Mario is the best player drafted by the Texans next to Andre Johnson.I see a lot of good things coming to the Texans..We may miss on Adrain Peterson and its early but even if we miss nim I still see us reaching for top quality at the position with a later pick.That would also give us a chance to squeeze Back AND up to land 4 or 6 top 100 tal;enys to riddle our team with from what we couldn't reach in FA..I would love to see us land a 4 year UFA DB OR DE coming into his own to put us ahead of the learning curve,,

2007 DRAFT:drool:

RBs are risky picks early but you can still get one later with just as much talent by wisdom and land another top 100 pick..

If we are looking for a talanted back, how about Michael Bush, he should slip because of the broken leg, so it wont be a high risk pick and we should be able to get some defensive or O-line help. Hopefuly we can draft for offense and get FA's to fix the defense becasue we really dont want more rookies at saftey and corner.

As Scooter and beerlover point out, the problem on offense is the line. Our backs look slow and unelusive because they keep looking for a hole, but too often there isn't one to find.

If Spencer recovers from that broken tibia, we have our franchise LT. We need a RT and a C more.

I agree in O-Line not making holes.

I disagree because when there are holes, Dayne is too slow and it's gone before he gets there.

two words .... edgerrin james. he's one of the most talented and complete backs in football. and he sucks. entirely useless in arizona because of an offensive line that might or might not be worse than ours. we can draft runningbacks like detroit drafts wide receivers (how's their passing game over the last 3 years?), but it doesnt matter if they're not given any chance to succeed. it's unlikely that we'll landy barry sanders, so lets draft a ton of linemen like denver & pittsburgh and try to create runningbacks.

True. They should draft the best center available with their number one pick. Fanagan has been a major dissappiontment.

I agree in O-Line not making holes.

I disagree because when there are holes, Dayne is too slow and it's gone before he gets there.

dayne IS too slow to find the holes. but that's because he's being used improperly. football is the ultimate team sport. the feature back opens up the passing game, the passing game opens up your bruiser. our offensive line is keeping any of this from happening. lundy, morency, taylor ... these guys are built for the denver blocking system. someone in the organization feels we're not ready for that yet so we went with shermans' power blocking scheme and decided to bring in bruisers to get us by until we're more ready for kubiak ... it's not working and we're not even touching green bay's arsenal of screen plays to assist the run game. we ran the ZBS relatively well for a new team during the preseason and need to go back to it with lundy & taylor with dayne coming in later as our bruiser.

dayne's not going to be a featured back, but he's not a bust. he's just being used improperly. he needs to be TJ Duckett to warrick dunn, or mike anderson to tatum bell ... and we need to reinstall the zone blocking system and use our backs to their strengths.

True. They should draft the best center available with their number one pick. Fanagan has been a major dissappiontment.

you got my intention but apparently missed my signature. i think flanagan is the least of our problems (and have stated he's probably the best acquisition of our offseason). he's a great fit for our zone blocking system (which as i said in my last post, we quit using), not because he's a great run blocker (which he's not) but because he's smart and quick to get to the second level. besides that, he's a major reason that our pass blocking has greatly improved this season ... he's worth keeping for that reason alone. where we're hurting is at right guard and right tackle. winston might be able to play RT next year, but it's not looking great at this point and we need a right guard more than any position on the field. we need to buy or trade for someone like shawn andrews during the offseason and spend 2+ draft picks on the interior line. i said it before this site was active ... we dont win until the offensive line wins.

I think we need to draft a CB, SS (or FS) and LB with the first three picks in the draft. I might even suggest trading down our top 5 pick for two picks later in the first round. That'll give us at least three of the first 35 picks or so. Then ask whoever made the Ryans and Spencer picks (couldn't have been CC) to make those three picks.

Then I'd pick a QB in the third round to start developing behind Carr. Carr is NOT the guy to take us to the playoffs.

After a 2-14 season again this year, I think we're looking at 5-11 or 6-10 in 2007 with hopes of having a playoff-caliber team in 2008. That's best case imo. More realistically I think we're looking at 2009/2010 as a playoff contender, depending on our ability to develop another QB and to have a competent defense

Look at the optimistic side. In 2004 we beat a terrible Bears team in Chicago. In 2006, the Bears are the best team in football. It can turn that quickly, with the right players and coaches in place.

Back